What did you do to your MKIV today?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I installed a SMFW this past December. And the sound does seem to come from the right side of the car. I'm going to remove the serp belt and see if that changes the sound and also recheck the alt pulley.
A lot of times when the bearings are cold they won't make noise. After some running they warm up and start making noise. If it is alternator also listen to the bearing at the back of the alt. Oddly enough my current idler bearing makes noise on start up and goes away after 1-2min.

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV GOLF 05 BEW, 05 Jetta Wagon(not rolling),2000 Golf, DURAMAX LBZ, X5 35D
Added a muffler to the BEW. Just a bit quieter. The drone from the 3" straight pipe starting to get annoying. Yup getting old.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
So far I have gotten a muffler applied to our 2DR. It came with a straight pipe, so I clipped off enough to slip a Profi SS one I had laying about onto it. It is a fair bit quieter now... :) Next up, TT-bushed LCA's.

Douglas

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Did some more digging into the rattle. Removed the serp belt. All pulleys are just fine. Including the alt pulley (stuck screw driver into the back, pulley turns backward but not forward).

Started motor without installing the belt, and it sounded exactly the same as with it on. But then again, it doesn't always rattle, so that test means little.
Reinstalling the belly pan, I gave the exhaust a little shake. And it DID rattle. Found two issues with it: 1, the rear hanger rusted off on one side where the v-shaped rubber installs, and 2, the short heat shield by the mid-body mount was not being held up by the clips anymore, so it was knocking against the end of the mounting bar welded onto the pipe.

I zip-tied the rear mount end up and wedged some wood shims at the mid-mount bracket (that bolts across the car) to hold that short shield up.

Maybe that's been it this whole time. We shall see.

But I'm not sure I like how much my engine vibrates while hot at idle. I'll see if I can upload a video. Dogbone is new, but the other mounts are stock, so....

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Here's a link to a video. Couldn't upload it here.
Link

I looks like it's in slow motion, but that's just an effect of the camera. When you see the emblem dancing, it's more indicative. IRL the fuel lines and dipstick handle are a blur.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Welp, test drive seems to confirm it was a heat shield rattle, because now it’s gone. Next time I’m under the car, I’ll just JBWeld the short heat shield in place.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
While I was under the car looking for the rattle, I noticed that the inner boot of my right axle is torn. Wasn’t in December when I did the clutch, but such is life. Original VW axle. On the outer joint, the small clamp has been missing for as long as I can remember.

I was going just to reboot it, but something made me check Rock Auto. They have a “private label” right axle on clearance for $37. No, I didn’t mistype. $37. And the picture shows that it’s a hollow shaft like the OE. So I ordered it (and one for my son whose outer boot is torn and slinging grease).

After it’s out, I plan on rebuilding my original axle, as I wont be surprised if this one fails in short order. But who knows, maybe it’ll last? Cheap enough to roll the dice.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
While I was under the car looking for the rattle, I noticed that the inner boot of my right axle is torn. Wasn’t in December when I did the clutch, but such is life. Original VW axle. On the outer joint, the small clamp has been missing for as long as I can remember.

I was going just to reboot it, but something made me check Rock Auto. They have a “private label” right axle on clearance for $37. No, I didn’t mistype. $37. And the picture shows that it’s a hollow shaft like the OE. So I ordered it (and one for my son whose outer boot is torn and slinging grease).

After it’s out, I plan on rebuilding my original axle, as I wont be surprised if this one fails in short order. But who knows, maybe it’ll last? Cheap enough to roll the dice.
When I did my outer boot a couple of weekends ago I just blew the CV joint out with brake clean it looked really good for having done 457k Km and change. Packed it with new grease and away we went. No noise or anything.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I did a bit of a dumb dumb today. My fuel light flicked on last night 15 KM from home so I just drove home with it on as it was late and didn’t want to go get diesel. Anyway went to fire it up to go get diesel and it cranked for maybe 7 seconds without starting( probably was less didn’t time it) stopped trying for a second or two cranked it again and it fired up. Drove it the 1 minute to the station(it felt low on power) which is across the street from me and filled it up. Started no problem after that. Ran into the store fired it up again 5 min later and it didn’t start the first bump tried again no problem. Took it for a 7 or so minute drive down the highway parked again came back a few later started no problem did a good pull onto the highway and all seems well. I did some reading about running low on diesel and I wont ever do that again. Do we figure I hurt anything?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,glutton for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Usually when that light comes on you still have approximately 2 gallons of fuel in the tank…….. I would drive 35 to forty miles when that light came on to get to one of the trusted fuel stations I use……
I don’t think you hurt anything…… if you want change out the fuel filter….there’s a chance you may have picked up some of the dredges at that low of a fuel level…

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Usually when that light comes on you still have approximately 2 gallons of fuel in the tank…….. I would drive 35 to forty miles when that light came on to get to one of the trusted fuel stations I use……
I don’t think you hurt anything…… if you want change out the fuel filter….there’s a chance you may have picked up some of the dredges at that low of a fuel level…
Maybe. It’s a pretty fresh filter. But if I did so few miles with it that empty I probably wont bother.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
I regularly go 60-70 km after the light comes on, furthest I've gone is 105. If you only went 15 something else is going on.
I went 15km before shutting it down and letting it sit that low for like 18 hrs I didn’t run out of fuel and the car was running well with the light on. I think I may be losing a little prime here and there. And my light didn’t come on until I was almost in the red on the fuel gauge. I’ll keep an eye on it. IP may be getting tired. I plan on adding a lift pump eventually. Air bubbles in the clear lines went down since I did the injectors

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
My '02 has a MFA cluster and I was switching fuel tanks so wanted to get it as empty as possible.
The "low fuel" indication came on stating I had 100km to empty. And then I drove it another 15-20km AFTER I got to it showing zero km to empty. Figured that's gotta be pretty close to dry now.

Nope - still drained out around 4L of fuel.

Driving and/or parking it for however long for 15km after seeing the low-fuel indicator would've done exactly nothing.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
successfully did the solenoid replacement in wifes 2006 BEW golf 09a automatic. n283 had totally died (after being intermittent for a few days). really wasn't too bad. thought i had read about people removing the bumper and moving the radiator to get more access, but totally not needed. it was actually a very leisurely job. only one solenoid was tricky to get at (but not because of not enough space, how it was arranged internally). decided to just replace all 9. got a discount from cobra transmission - $250 shipped. i decided to use the gasket they provided rather than a factory type sealant. hopefully it won't leak... but 290k on the trans and this was the only real first hint of trouble. hopefully it keeps on ticking away ... getting 45-48mpg these days in its daily driving mix

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Well I did a bit of a dumb dumb today. My fuel light flicked on last night 15 KM from home so I just drove home with it on as it was late and didn’t want to go get diesel. Anyway went to fire it up to go get diesel and it cranked for maybe 7 seconds without starting( probably was less didn’t time it) stopped trying for a second or two cranked it again and it fired up. Drove it the 1 minute to the station(it felt low on power) which is across the street from me and filled it up. Started no problem after that. Ran into the store fired it up again 5 min later and it didn’t start the first bump tried again no problem. Took it for a 7 or so minute drive down the highway parked again came back a few later started no problem did a good pull onto the highway and all seems well. I did some reading about running low on diesel and I wont ever do that again. Do we figure I hurt anything?
Years ago I had my needle hit the bottom marker. Not the red, but the actual -0 mark on the deetle gauge and still drove ~20mi to hit the station. No issues. Granted I will never do that again, but I was middle of nowhere and missed the last station. Dumb mistake, thankfully I didn't pay for it as I didn't have a vacuum pump on hand.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You probably had a little air in the fuel system.

I usually fill when the low fuel light comes on. My son, however, will drive his Golf 60+ miles after the light comes on. He's never had the car quit on him, but some day his number may come up.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
1st place guy in the NASCAR race yesterday had his number come up... ran out of gas on the last lap of the 240 lap race. :p

I rarely ever drive my cars equipped with a low fuel light to the point the warning comes on, but my wife certainly will.

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
1st place guy in the NASCAR race yesterday had his number come up... ran out of gas on the last lap of the 240 lap race. :p

I rarely ever drive my cars equipped with a low fuel light to the point the warning comes on, but my wife certainly will.
Yes and yes.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I have pushed it too far after fuel light many times. Only time it came to bite me was when I did that when it was very cold(don't remember exact but had to be close to 0F I think) and fuel started to gel. Car stumbled and stalled at the station and I had to push it up to the pump. It then took a while for the "warm" fuel from the station and residual heat in the engine to get the car started again. 2005 BEW - RIP

Jason

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I recently drove about 30 miles after the fuel light came on. Still only took 14.7 gallons. So at the time the light came on I had about two gallons left. I usually fill up well before the light comes on. Most I think I’ve ever put in was 15.9? gallons if memory serves. Never did that again.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
On my wagon (vented) I get 15.4 gallons or so if I fill right when the light comes on. Most I've ever put in the car is 16.9. That was on a rainy night in Virginia after missing an exit for fuel and worrying my way to the next exit.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Better half complained her wagon was making sproing noises when parking, so naturally I ordered strut bearings.

Went to install them today. Swapped out the top nut on the driver's side in preparation for removing the mount, but when I lifted the car the spring perch dropped but not the spring :mad:

Turns out the top coil of the spring is AWOL. I don't recall seeing that before, usually it's the bottom coil that breaks, which is obvious because the ride height drops. Missing top coil didn't affect ride height at all, but it's going to be a PITA to remove that strut, maybe I'll cut the spring with an angle grinder 😳

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
My record, which wasn't on purpose, was 75 miles once the fuel light illuminated. I was driving cross country late at night in Utah on a section of I70 where there's a huge gap between exits with fuel stations. That was a stressful last few miles because it was late at night and in an area without any cell service either!

northern diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 mk4 TDI Jetta Wagon
Popped in a new N75 solenoid and the new green Coolant Temp Sensor tonight. I took it for a whip with the first draft of my tune... but unfortunately I got this damn code again..
16683 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 - 000 - Control Range Not Reached
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 3550 /min
Torque: 244.0 Nm
Speed: 118.0 km/h
Load: 96.9 %
Voltage: 14.36 V
Bin. Bits: 00001000
(no units): 2328.0
(no units): 1596.0

When I was doing the N75 , I had thought about trying to replace the few vac lines I actually need, but I got lazy and closed it up for tonight.
I will try that tomorrow and hope that my code is a vac related solve.

northern diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 mk4 TDI Jetta Wagon
I want to clean up the vac lines that connect to the solenoid beside my N75...
I found this thread..

Can anyone confirm if I can delete everything except for the N75 solenoid in that vac line system?
I thought I remembered reading that somewhere...
Right now I have screws in the ends of vac lines, and I am wondering if that's related to boost control range issues or not...
Thanks

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Started digging in on the beetle, its too far gone to fix. I started a part out thread in the for sale section.
It donated an air box for the bew though, and a mass air flow sensor from a bhw parted out to get the maf reading back right.
Got in an aftermarket intercooler today, and got it installed. That along with the vacuum booster pipe and a couple other things and it should be better than it's been for the last 7 years.

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
Put new bushings in the dogbone mount. That was fun. I was getting some vibrations during high acceleration at some speeds. Driving it (Golf BEW) to the yard tomorrow. About 1.5 hours away. Hopefully the shakes are gone. Got engine and tranny mounts otw. Hopefully I will get those in next weekend.