What did you do to your MKIV today?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Wait - you're saying the aftermarket alternator pulleys are bad out of the box?! I've yet to have a bad one.
The aftermarket alternators, and the aftermarket pulleys often don't last very long at all, mostly because of the cheap materials they are made from.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
IMG-20240425-WA0022.jpgIMG-20240425-WA0029.jpg

My dad called the other day asking for recommendations on an oil pan for my younger sister's car (2003 alh) as she had hit something.
I asked a few more details and found out that she had driven it until.it had stopped...
He didn't think there was any damage as it still turned and wasn't locked up... at my insistence, he pulled the turbo inlet, turbo was locked tight... then the main bearing cap... oops, yeah it needs an engine. They had just sold the spare car a few days before too! Guess who gets an engine building job... thankfully I had a buddy who has another mk4 which he wanted to sell, so I will be picking that up Monday and doing the services on it to get it ready.
Then probably going to do a full BHW/ALH hybrid in this one.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Ohhhh Damn!!!!!!!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
IMG-20240425-WA0029.jpg

My dad called the other day asking for recommendations on an oil pan for my younger sister's car (2003 alh) as she had hit something.
I asked a few more details and found out that she had driven it until.it had stopped...
I often don't know how much wear is "too much" wear.....but this was an easy one, even more me. Not pretty.
(Great that they have a member of the family that can get them going better than ever - kudos!)

Mozambiquer

TDI

A mk4 BEW followed me home...
This is a replacement for my sister's alh which got blown up.
That one will be being repaired as well, just going to quick throw a timing belt and cam in this one, and get it on the road.
Not bad for a 5 speed bew with 215k miles, and only $500.

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
Front brakes today. When I put the winter tires on in December I noticed the left front pads were not wearing evenly, the inner was down to about 5mm, so I knew it was coming. Since this car is the poster child for deferred maintenance, I decided to do it all -- pads, rotors, calipers and hoses. The worn pad had not quite made it to metal, but it was as close as.

I intended to do a fluid flush, but the rear caliper bleeders were not up for it, even with some heat. I sucked out the reservoir and pushed fresh fluid through the fronts, so half a flush. There's plenty of life on the rear pads, so I think I'll just live with it for another year and then do all new parts at the rear.

I also discovered the noise I've been hearing in turns is not the left front wheel bearing, it's the left outer CV joint. I did the right axle a few months back, and now the left wants attention. I'll get another cheap axle from O'Reilly, and next winter put new CV's on both old axles and hold them for spares.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Went to move the Jetta into the driveway today. ABS light on, outta nowhere. Vag com said bad left front speed sensor. Cleared and immediately returns, KOEO. Was not on last drive.

It was raining, so I didn't pull the tire to look, but I guess maybe a rodent chewed a wire? I'll find out tomorrow after work.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Went to move the Jetta into the driveway today. ABS light on, outta nowhere. Vag com said bad left front speed sensor. Cleared and immediately returns, KOEO. Was not on last drive.

It was raining, so I didn't pull the tire to look, but I guess maybe a rodent chewed a wire? I'll find out tomorrow after work.
Funny, the very same thing happened to me today...

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Discovered a *severe lack of power in the ALH Jetta. It had a MAP implausible signal. It did not go away when cleared. Removed the washer tank and plugged in a spare 3-bar and code went away. Hmmmmm... So off to parts bin for the MAP out of a spare ALH IC. Broke off the rusted, Michigan bolts. Plugged that one it...also no code or implausible signal. By now properly paranoid about the North Carolina bolts, I plugged the existing original back in...no codes/CEL lit. Took it for a spin...no issues with power now... :)

Now to remove what is left of those Michigan bolts( the rusty ones ). This is not going to be any fun at all I think. Suggestions?

Douglas

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Discovered a *severe lack of power in the ALH Jetta. It had a MAP implausible signal. It did not go away when cleared. Removed the washer tank and plugged in a spare 3-bar and code went away. Hmmmmm... So off to parts bin for the MAP out of a spare ALH IC. Broke off the rusted, Michigan bolts. Plugged that one it...also no code or implausible signal. By now properly paranoid about the North Carolina bolts, I plugged the existing original back in...no codes/CEL lit. Took it for a spin...no issues with power now... :)

Now to remove what is left of those Michigan bolts( the rusty ones ). This is not going to be any fun at all I think. Suggestions?

Douglas
I used a propane torch to heat up the little stub until it just started to melt the plastic, then grabbed the stub with a small vice grips and spun them out. Hold the torch perpendicular to the stub so there's no flame on the intercooler itself. It took a few minutes per screw, but worked like a charm.

Go to the hardware store and pick up some stainless steel wood screws of the appropriate diameter/length. They're typically "old style" wood screws from 50 years ago and you can buy them individually.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
He didn't think there was any damage as it still turned and wasn't locked up... at my insistence, he pulled the turbo inlet, turbo was locked tight... then the main bearing cap... oops, yeah it needs an engine. They had just sold the spare car a few days before too! Guess who gets an engine building job... thankfully I had a buddy who has another mk4 which he wanted to sell, so I will be picking that up Monday and doing the services on it to get it ready.
Then probably going to do a full BHW/ALH hybrid in this one.
Exact same thing happened to my first TDI years ago. Replaced all the rod and crank bearings, all was fine.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI

Ohmed out the sensor. 36 or so, so the winding has shorted. Ordered a new one from idparts along with the coolant bypass for egr cooler delete and a couple other things for free shipping.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Any of you Canadians know of a good compression tester for these cars? Everybody in the States gets the one from HF, I'm wondering if Canadian Tire or someplace would have a similar product. The nearest Princess Auto is 2 hours away.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Really, though, isn't any/everything that breaks "was fine yesterday, today it's not"...? ;)
That was exactly my experience with those: one day, nothing. Next day, bad sensor up front.
What makes me 🤔, though, is when the day after that the left-rear ABS sensor shows an error, too.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any of you Canadians know of a good compression tester for these cars? Everybody in the States gets the one from HF, I'm wondering if Canadian Tire or someplace would have a similar product. The nearest Princess Auto is 2 hours away.
Haven't used this (Amazon CA - probably half a dozen different brands selling the same thing) but I imagine it's on par with the HF one (a good solid "meh - does the job") which I've had for 10yrs. Used rarely, but when I do, it seems to give reliable numbers.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Really, though, isn't any/everything that breaks "was fine yesterday, today it's not"...? ;)
That was exactly my experience with those: one day, nothing. Next day, bad sensor up front.
What makes me 🤔, though, is when the day after that the left-rear ABS sensor shows an error, too.
True, and that's the failure mode for electronics--work until they don't. The sensor is basically a guitar pickup, but in a much harsher environment.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
True, and that's the failure mode for electronics--work until they don't. The sensor is basically a guitar pickup, but in a much harsher environment.
Speaking of geetar bits...tubes can go south slowly, aka wear out as their cathode emission drops. I don't believe there are any left in the cars; closest thing are the lights...but they're just the hot cathode part...LOL

Douglas

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Speaking of geetar bits...tubes can go south slowly, aka wear out as their cathode emission drops. I don't believe there are any left in the cars; closest thing are the lights...but they're just the hot cathode part...LOL

Douglas
Maybe we get Burpod to design an ECM using tubes so that they are Doomsday-proof.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I think I bought mine from Partsplace, I believe they were in the Detroit area. Anyway, made in USA and TDI specific. Was around $80 IIRC. If you can access my media look under the album "tools"

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
No it's not. I'll check on a number in a bit

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Haven't used this (Amazon CA - probably half a dozen different brands selling the same thing) but I imagine it's on par with the HF one (a good solid "meh - does the job") which I've had for 10yrs. Used rarely, but when I do, it seems to give reliable numbers.
Hey thanks for the link, that one actually doesn't look too bad. The English is mostly grammatically correct so I think that's a good sign lol.
Granted, it won't be here before I need it but for $60 it might be nice to have around for later.

joe00golf

TDI
2000 Golf
Got a P1248 code yesterday. Doesn't come on right away, just after driving for awhile. Unless I stop and start back up, in which case it only takes a few minutes to come back on. Something new to look in to.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey thanks for the link, that one actually doesn't look too bad. The English is mostly grammatically correct so I think that's a good sign lol.
Granted, it won't be here before I need it but for $60 it might be nice to have around for later.
GSI Industries compression tester part # 6600, paid $49.95. Adapter for the glow plug hole part # 6639, paid $18.95