What did you do to your MKIV today?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The last couple of times I drove my Golf I found a diesel smell coming from the vents. I checked under the hood - injector number one was leaking from the top nut. One try did not seal it so I loosened it about one half turn, wiggled it a little ( it didn't really move, but I tried it anyway. Then I gave it as much torque as I could manage and it appears to be ready to go now.

Cheers,

PH

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Does anyone know if the rear headrests can be installed in the front seats without issue?
I'm missing one front headrest, and since I don't need the centre one in the rear I thought I'd put it in the front, but the front and rear have different lock mechanisms and I'm worried it might get stuck in the front seat...
Has anyone tried this?

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Sounds like a to-do for the next trip out to the scrapyard. :)
After peering down inside the seat, I got brave and tried it. It sorta works, but also doesn't solidly hold the height setting, since it's missing the little metal tab that fits into the height adjustment notches inside the seat. Just kinda slides up and down without much resistance. But it'll work till I can find a proper one at the junkyard though.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Has anybody ever tried to use "Aluma Seal" to fix a heater core leak? Every time I use the heat I get covered in powder and the stink is awful.
I recently had back surgery and cannot do the contortion needed to remove the heater core myself.
Suggestions?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've never heard of a sealer that worked long-term ("long" being more than a month or two) before causing more problems than they were hoped to solve.
Wish I had a good solution for you - maybe post in a local thread and see if there's someone who's willing to work for (relatively) cheap as a learning experience...(?).

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Drove it 200km in a snowstorm. The last 10 was a bit challenging because it hadn't been plowed and the fresh powder was deep enough to come over the hood obscuring visibility.

The rest was just tedious due to slow heavy traffic, although I did have minor difficulty maneuvering around 3 Model S stuck on a hill which nobody else was having much problem with - are those things completely useless in snow?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Has anybody ever tried to use "Aluma Seal" to fix a heater core leak? Every time I use the heat I get covered in powder and the stink is awful.
I recently had back surgery and cannot do the contortion needed to remove the heater core myself.
Suggestions?
You could bypass it, climate permitting. Never been a fan of sealants

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Suggestions?
Pretty much the only thing those work for is plugging up radiators and heater cores.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
finally figured out full MAF delete on wifes BEW.. something i've been wanting for YEARS... and nobody could give me :rolleyes: egr/maf/asv/intake flap runners... all deleted/gone/unplugged.. no fault codes. runs quite strong with 25psi and the vnt17. maybe later this next summer get into the bigger PD injectors for better efficiency :) ... has yet to be seen if readiness will be set. it was no problem with the egr/intake runner flaps deleted. but not sure how it will work with asv/maf deleted

been waiting to do this for sooooooo long.. first thing in the morning, it's angle grinder time, chop that thing off and pop the screens out of the maf housing for ultimate flow 😂

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
finally figured out full MAF delete on wifes BEW.. something i've been wanting for YEARS... and nobody could give me :rolleyes: egr/maf/asv/intake flap runners... all deleted/gone/unplugged.. no fault codes. runs quite strong with 25psi and the vnt17. maybe later this next summer get into the bigger PD injectors for better efficiency :) ... has yet to be seen if readiness will be set. it was no problem with the egr/intake runner flaps deleted. but not sure how it will work with asv/maf deleted

been waiting to do this for sooooooo long.. first thing in the morning, it's angle grinder time, chop that thing off and pop the screens out of the maf housing for ultimate flow 😂
Or could look at 2.5 air box - those come in MAF and non-MAF versions. I'm sure there is a straight pipe way to go there.

I have never been a fan of removing ASV - nothing to stop run away if/when pop hits the fan. As for the rest - have fun and enjoy.

Jason

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Yes, I have a Monsoon Stereo. I also have a PhatBox (bought one back when Impex had a fire sale on them just after the NBs came out with the aux input jack.

Don't have a clamp-on current probe for the multimeter, may have to go out and get one on the weekend, sounds like a handy thing to have...
I have data:

- Yesterday morning I popped the back seat down and confirmed that the trunk light isn't on when the trunk is closed.

- Did the Parasitic Drain test today at lunch (parked inside a parking garage with good lighting):
- Only Driver's door open (all others, hood, trunk closed)
- Used screwdriver to actuate latch in driver's door into its "closed" state, then locked car with remote
- Checked all populated fuses in the dashboard panel (mini fuse positions 6, 8, and 17 were empty, standard fuse positions 27, 28, and 33 empty)

All circuits in the dash fuse block that have fuses in them read 0mV.

I also did voltage drop readings on the fuse block that sits on the battery - the four large fusible links (since I've got an automatic, the 5th big fuse for coolant GPs isn't used) and the three ATC fuses also all showed 0mV drop.

So, it doesn't look like I have any parasitic drains in the cabin, nor (assuming the voltage drop method works on the alternator fuse) do my alternator diodes appear to be leaking. I'm back to the battery being the issue.

I think tomorrow I'm going to put the charger on the battery and then hit it with my own, old-school tester (one of these); if it shows the battery as weak or dying, I'm going to the nearest Advance to home with my tester; if the computerized one at that store also says it's good, I'm going to tell him to try it with mine for a second opinion...

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Shouldn't the fuse responsible for the alarm be showing at least a small voltage drop? The LED is blinking at the least.

If your DMM can read DC amps, you can put it between the battery negative post and the negative battery cable connector (in series) and repeat you shutting the car off, driver door open but latch closed, and wait for the modules to all go to sleep and see what the draw is. Not sure what the threshold is, but I'd think anything over 30 mA would indicate an issue.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I have data:

- Yesterday morning I popped the back seat down and confirmed that the trunk light isn't on when the trunk is closed.

- Did the Parasitic Drain test today at lunch (parked inside a parking garage with good lighting):
- Only Driver's door open (all others, hood, trunk closed)
- Used screwdriver to actuate latch in driver's door into its "closed" state, then locked car with remote
- Checked all populated fuses in the dashboard panel (mini fuse positions 6, 8, and 17 were empty, standard fuse positions 27, 28, and 33 empty)

I also did voltage drop readings on the fuse block that sits on the battery - the four large fusible links (since I've got an automatic, the 5th big fuse for coolant GPs isn't used) and the three ATC fuses also all showed 0mV drop.

So, it doesn't look like I have any parasitic drains in the cabin, nor (assuming the voltage drop method works on the alternator fuse) do my alternator diodes appear to be leaking. I'm back to the battery being the issue.

I think tomorrow I'm going to put the charger on the battery and then hit it with my own, old-school tester (one of these); if it shows the battery as weak or dying, I'm going to the nearest Advance to home with my tester; if the computerized one at that store also says it's good, I'm going to tell him to try it with mine for a second opinion...
Did you wait a couple hours after locking to let the computers go to sleep? HumbleMechanic has a good video on parasitic drains on YouTube

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you wait a couple hours after locking to let the computers go to sleep?
No need to wait. If the key is removed, radio is off, and alarm is active the car is as asleep as it gets - just the CCM monitoring the alarm and listening for the fob.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins

Ummmmm...errrrr, the inlet to the VNT17 is only 36mm dia. Minus the nut/hub of the compressor.

I think you'll be fine... :)

Douglas

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
Ummmmm...errrrr, the inlet to the VNT17 is only 36mm dia. Minus the nut/hub of the compressor.

I think you'll be fine... :)

Douglas
don't forget about the effects of the bi-linear multiplicative factors of the laminar flow- not really possible for the layman to get a measurement on, but can't hurt!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
You mean that a tailgate net has more drag than a tailgate? That one takes a bit of analysis to prove...LOL and IIRC there is for sure a 'net' in a MAF.

Douglas

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
Changed the oil in the car again already the third one of ownership (I know I do them at pretty low intervals but it can’t hurt). Got a Mann filter as my work was out of the wix ones. I think the O ring on the Mann one is better than the wix seemed tighter. Changed the transmission fluid probably 5k Km ago and there is little to no fluid leaking now which is awesome as there was before. Also appears my Vac pump fix is holding up well.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
No need to wait. If the key is removed, radio is off, and alarm is active the car is as asleep as it gets - just the CCM monitoring the alarm and listening for the fob.
Never put the key in the ignition for the meter work at lunchtime today. Car had been shut off and locked since 10am, I started the meter probing around 12:10.

Shouldn't the fuse responsible for the alarm be showing at least a small voltage drop? The LED is blinking at the least.
I was slightly puzzled by not seeing any draws myself, but since I don't know what "normal" would be for each circuit, I can't be sure. In mV mode, it looks like my meter only shows down to 0.1mV; the manual for the meter (a Craftsman 82139) indicates that in the mV range the resolution is 0.1mV with an accuracy of +/- 0.5% of the reading. If the CCM was drawing something, it was below what my meter could notice. Each time I probed a circuit, I saw the reading settle down to 0.0mV.

I may play with the meter tonight and confirm how I put it into mV range (usually I just leave it in "auto-range", which is the default turn-on state), I can always try the probe test again tomorrow.

The TSB was quite useful for doing the testing, but has anyone ever seen a reference chart for what circuits are supposed to show non-zero voltage drop readings and what typical values should be? I have "data" from my car, but nothing to indicate what "normal" might be.

I'm also still not convinced doing the voltage drop tests on the big fusible links was necessarily accurate.

If your DMM can read DC amps, you can put it between the battery negative post and the negative battery cable connector (in series) and repeat you shutting the car off, driver door open but latch closed, and wait for the modules to all go to sleep and see what the draw is. Not sure what the threshold is, but I'd think anything over 30 mA would indicate an issue.
Some old threads I found right after the Advance Auto testing indicated 40mA might be the "normal" overall draw for a MKIV.

My meter does do DC current up to 10A, I can always try that over the weekend too. Going to use the 100A load tester first, though.

Should I try looking for AC voltage at the battery terminals when the car's running? Seem to recall reading that might indicate diode issues in the voltage regulator...

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Changed the oil in the car again already the third one of ownership (I know I do them at pretty low intervals but it can’t hurt)
Actually it can hurt both wallet and engine.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually it can hurt both wallet and engine.

I did it at 8k Km as usually. I may bump it up to 10 after reading that.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
We do our MK4s at 16-18k. 2 million km and counting, have not had to change any oily bits yet...
yah, i wouldn't consider anything less than 16k km. if one were to do a lot of highway and rack up 20k km in a year, i'd just do a yearly oil change. plenty good enough IMO. especially if car is running nice and clean + egr delete... :)

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
yah, i wouldn't consider anything less than 16k km. if one were to do a lot of highway and rack up 20k km in a year, i'd just do a yearly oil change. plenty good enough IMO. especially if car is running nice and clean + egr delete... :)
My mother warned me about peer pressure but I think on this I am going to give in lol. I use liqu moly and have a very good tune.

Striker223

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Finally touched one of these cars, I've never actually worked on one before Thursday but the customer issue was a severe overheat. Book called for 9.7 hours to replace the headgasket but it only took 2.4 hours to remove everything, crazy easy to work on vs what I'm used to dealing with!

Head is warped to hell, #3 cam journal is high relative to the others and there is cam rock. It's going off to a forum member for repairs since my local shop likely won't get it done in time. Block is warped too but that is correctible by me. I'm very surprised though at how simple these are, I'm less concerned with my personal car now. I really need to work on said car.......

Found out mine has a failed rod bearing on #3 so that's going to be fun/easy to fix I'm hoping lol!