What did you do to your MKIV today?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Actually solid wire has greater current carrying capacity at a given diameter, which is why it's preferred in residential wiring. Stranded wire is used in vehicles because it's greater flexibility makes it more reliable.
Stranded also works better at high frequency... :) For the app at hand, I suspect this is only an assembly ease, and acquired cost decision.

Douglas

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,glutton for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Youngest daughters 03 NB threw an accessory belt last night , half was broken rest intact.
Did not find anything that would have caused it , all bearings turn freely with no notching. Alt and alt clutch are new , got them from Moz 6 months ago , replaced freewheeling bearing on acc bracket when last belt was thrown 2 years ago , replaced acc belt tensioner 2 years ago with bearing and belt with new on from IDPARTS. Power steering pulley turns freely, not bent or damaged . A/C bearing smooth and quiet ….
Installed new belt in the snow under a tent , changed her thermostat and tube due to low temp reading on scan guage
( replaced coolant temp sensor a couple of months ago for intermittent cool engine code) can’t remember what the P0 number

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,glutton for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
It’s there , I called it the A/C bearing ( meant bearing in the a/c pulley )

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
Rear wheel hub on a Mk4 - really not bad at all. Don't have to counterhold anything to free up the big nut (note that while it looks similar, it's NOT the same as the front 12pt nut - much larger shoulder on it.)

Remove everything to get to the bare hub, remove the nut, heat up the hub/bearing, put a gear puller on it, pull.
Put the new hub in the oven at 200°F for 7-8min....all but slides on (particularly if you're working outside in the winter).

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Remove everything to get to the bare hub, remove the nut, heat up the hub/bearing, put a gear puller on it, pull.
Put the new hub in the oven at 200°F for 7-8min....all but slides on (particularly if you're working outside in the winter).
The inner race almost always stays on the axle and is nearly impossible to grab with a puller. I grind a slot partway through it (carefully, you don't want to damage the stub axle) then crack it with a cold chisel.

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Our 700k y2k Jetta has been sitting for a while because the ABS pump failed and two junkyard replacements won't even talk to VCDS ("no warranty on electrical components" :mad:)

We needed to move it to accommodate the new arrival. Luckily we had to swap in a warm battery (it was -24C) so the hood was open. It fired right up but the coolant glow plug harness immediately caught fire - literally open flame!

I was able to smother it with a gloved hand, but that's a new one on me. Anyone else had that happen?

Mana_Ha

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
...coolant glow plug harness immediately caught fire - literally open flame!

I was able to smother it with a gloved hand, but that's a new one on me. Anyone else had that happen?
Yep, She got smokey under the hood, opened it up and it was aflame. happened like 4 years ago.

Swapped them with out with cheaper ones, with the thread instead of push on connector, and made a new harness for them.
BSH 0250201032. at Napa

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Between the 8" snow of the past couple days and then tomorrow's anticipated 20mm of rain, managed to wrap up the clutch job on a 2003 wagon. It's one of those things where I kinda wish I had like one a month to do so that I could remember all of the proper sequences of /and how to do what (at least, what I've found works for me).

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Between the 8" snow of the past couple days and then tomorrow's anticipated 20mm of rain, managed to wrap up the clutch job on a 2003 wagon. It's one of those things where I kinda wish I had like one a month to do so that I could remember all of the proper sequences of /and how to do what (at least, what I've found works for me).
Well done on the job. What you need to do actually, is repeat. As in, do another two or three. Now. :)

With a long time start to finish, you have a lot of time to forget where the nuts and bolts go.

Douglas

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Well done on the job. What you need to do actually, is repeat. As in, do another two or three. Now. :)

With a long time start to finish, you have a lot of time to forget where the nuts and bolts go.

Douglas
That's why when I did my clutch I put every nut/bolt I could right back where it came from. The only loose bolts I had were obvious ones, such as the axle to flange bolts with their crescent washers keeping pairs together, and the six tranny to engine bolts. Those got laid out in the pattern of their removal.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Replaced the 17/22 turbo on the car with a new Xman 17/22 due to either sticky vanes or a bunk actuator (haven't determined yet which one). I didn't want the car down while I was pulling apart the turbo I removed in case I ran into any "unforeseen" issues beyond those 2 which I think are the problem.

I also ordered up a PD150 intake TIP to complete the mods I've done. I was waiting for an OMI but I decided to go this route instead, keeps some of the OEM nostalgia and it's actually a larger diameter anyway:

This 2-2.25" boot is needed to replace the stock one above because X-man machines his inlet housing to 50mm/2" instead of the Garett OEM size of 56mm/2.25. Link here:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I realize all that, but it wasn't in the cards to do it myself - I couldn't get it into the garage (in wrong position, and no space), it was starting to snow, and it was 3pm (so only about an hour and half of daylight left). Also, I was concerned about the hardware not coming apart without a fight/breaking things. While I would have liked to tackle this on my own, it just wasn't in the cards this time.
Well, it turns out the car didn't get a new starter - he wasn't able to source one. He pulled the cover off the brush holder on mine, figuring he'd just transplant any needed parts from his stack of old starters, and discovered nothing needed swapping/freshening up except that braid, so he soldered that back on and it's cranking over great again. Result!

I did give him the link to Mozambiquer's vendor thread here in case it comes in handy - he mentioned that he was thinking about starting to rebuild the VW starters since he's having trouble getting new ones.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Nice! Like your cluster too - I have one of those also and they really help the look of the interior.
Thanks. I bought mine from @gmenounos - you can't see it in the photos, but it's a ColorMFA. Have one in each Golf, so I can get stats, check errors if I don't have VCDS handy, look at measuring blocks, better estimate fuel consumption, etc.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Haven't done much of any thing yet, but finally ordered everything to do the clutch swap that I didn't have, and a new glow plug harness since I got the check engine light for the glow plugs. They all checked out fine and the harness is pretty flakey looking anyway. Hopefully that stuff shows up this week, so I can at least get the car starting decently again.
Also thinking the thermostat is sticking open. I had replaced it this sumer at burpods request, everything seemed fine till this past week. Yes it's been pretty cold, but I can't get the engine temp even half way up the past couple of days. Radiator blocked off to boot. Think I'll deal with that tonight. We'll see what the local parts store has on hand. Can't be any worse then the mahle I put in it this sumer.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
\Also thinking the thermostat is sticking open. I had replaced it this sumer at burpods request, everything seemed fine till this past week. Yes it's been pretty cold, but I can't get the engine temp even half way up the past couple of days. Radiator blocked off to boot. Think I'll deal with that tonight. We'll see what the local parts store has on hand. Can't be any worse then the mahle I put in it this sumer.
The thermostat you want is the 92° Mahle one, part number tx1392d.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Test driving the car last night, I noticed that the HVAC controls backlight wasn't working. Called up VW to see if they had one - yep. Rushed down there just before closing to pick it up (no charge 👍)....thought it looked bigger than I remembered...got it home and sure enough - someone had dropped a T10 into the T5 bin at the dealership parts dept. 🫤

So, just on a hope and a prayer, started rooting through my stash o' bulbs - nada. Then, in an adjacent bin, I noticed a little package that had a bunch of little stubs...something roughly the size of a T5 bulb...like this, but white body with yellow nubbin up top....🤔

And sure enough, somewhere along the line, I'd picked up a 10-pack of white T5 LEDs (and totally forgot about them...as is my wont these days, apparently).
Yay me. :D

Inserted using a piece of 3mm vacuum hose, and voila - light!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used to be a lot better, before I discovered Aliexpress and finding "wait - 10 T5 and 10 T10 LED bulbs....for $3 with free shipping?! How can I not?" bargains way too frequently.
(Also found a stash of the longer 41mm "festoon" CSP LED bulbs from AliX - those suckers light up the interior like an operating room.)

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My best Aliexpress score was 10 carb needles to fit my 30HP outboard for $3. Mercury only sells them in a kit with 2 gaskets and an o-ring for $90 apiece - and I needed 3.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
The thermostat you want is the 92° Mahle one, part number tx1392d.
Thanks for that, I'm not sure what part number is currently in it, I got the kit off idparts with the housing/neck and o-ring. Remember it coming in a mahle box. Beyond that it's a guess. Anyway, I stopped off and grabbed one from advance as I don't have the time to wait on shipping. I'll order the number you mentioned to have on hand for a spare.

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
Test driving the car last night, I noticed that the HVAC controls backlight wasn't working.
Interesting, this caught my eye. My HVAC backlight does not work, since I bought it. But also my cubby cigarette lighter does not work, not sure if they are linked, does anyone know? I would love to fix those two, but I am 3 years in and still coasting no problem...

Radiator blocked off to boot. Think I'll deal with that tonight.
How cold, and do you block the intercooler as well? I did 2 strips of wide gorilla tape over that lower RH small grille.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Interesting, this caught my eye. My HVAC backlight does not work, since I bought it. But also my cubby cigarette lighter does not work, not sure if they are linked, does anyone know? I would love to fix those two, but I am 3 years in and still coasting no problem...
I don't think they are linked. There are 3 little bulbs for the HVAC backlights behind the plate. I think the LED for the lighter is built in. I can't see it in the daytime and I could be wrong, but I think the cig lighter backlight is on when the key is on but the HVAC lights up when headlights are switched on.

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
I don't think they are linked. There are 3 little bulbs for the HVAC backlights behind the plate. I think the LED for the lighter is built in. I can't see it in the daytime and I could be wrong, but I think the cig lighter backlight is on when the key is on but the HVAC lights up when headlights are switched on.
Got it. The cigarette lighter itself is not working, its backlight is. So I have tried finding other info and not got anywhere. I will look into info on fixing those LEDs, I always just assumed it was linked to the outlet.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta

How cold, and do you block the intercooler as well? I did 2 strips of wide gorilla tape over that lower RH small grille.
10-15*f over night, been in the 20's during the day. Supposed to warm up this week. No, I didn't block the intercooler. I had thought about that, but didn't end up coming up with a good way to do it.
Got a 87*c thermostat from Napa, swapped that in a bit ago. Took the car for a quick trip and it warmed up much faster. I'll order the 92*c thermostat and swap it at a later date. See how it does tomorrow morning on the way to work.