What did you do to your MKIV today?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
What are you running for a compressor?
Viair, with a custom setup and bracket mounted on the rail, 5 gal tank so I can run tools and such. @J_dude , you can check out my link to my write up I did for the other forum, but this link will take you directly to the end result photos:
Realized how bad the valve cover was leaking when I did the clutch, so today I swapped in a new one. Aftermarket with replaceable gasket.
FYI, keep an eye on that aftermarket cover. Been there, done that. It lasted less than a year before it started leaking. Tried everything to remedy the situation.

Finally broke down and bought a new OEM, no more leaks.

Last edited:

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Viair, with a custom setup and bracket mounted on the rail, 5 gal tank so I can run tools and such. @J_dude , you can check out my link to my write up I did for the other forum, but this link will take you directly to the end result photos:
Ahh electric, cool. I'm hoping to eventually find the time to finish my setup this spring, I have a converted Sanden ac compressor, a bigass tank and air horns, just need to put it all together.
And then one day I can hopefully afford the Pacbrake too 😈

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
Ahh electric, cool. I'm hoping to eventually find the time to finish my setup this spring, I have a converted Sanden ac compressor, a bigass tank and air horns, just need to put it all together.
And then one day I can hopefully afford the Pacbrake too 😈
Not air horns but I had two Hella horns on my old car and man they were loud lol. Didn’t want to bump the lock button by accident in the garage or you’d be jumping. I’d like to get some for the Jetta they look really cool.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Caution against the PacBrake...
Using the engine is no big deal. Running that duration of back torque through the gearbox is quite another story. NV5600's are expensive to rebuild, and G56 are just a step behind... :)

Douglas

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Using the engine is no big deal. Running that duration of back torque through the gearbox is quite another story. NV5600's are expensive to rebuild, and G56 are just a step behind... :)

Douglas
Good point, I never even thought about that. How is the nv4500?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

Douglas
PacBrake has been on my truck since about 2008-2010 to current. Absolutely no issues.

NV5600 is expensive because there is no support since the company doesn't exist anymore. You can get parts and there are a few reputable rebuilders in the country. G56 still has plenty of support out there, but the cases are inferior to the 5600

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
PacBrake has been on my truck since about 2008-2010 to current. Absolutely no issues.

NV5600 is expensive because there is no support since the company doesn't exist anymore. You can get parts and there are a few reputable rebuilders in the country. G56 still has plenty of support out there, but the cases are inferior to the 5600
Torque king 4x4 is a good source for 45/5600 parts and their customer service is awesome

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Torque king 4x4 is a good source for 45/5600 parts and their customer service is awesome
Thays good to know... I need to rebuild the nv4500 for my half ton chevy.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Aside from its O2J-style 5th, it is quite fine. As long as it has the 1-3/8 input shaft...LOL

Douglas
No idea which input shaft I have, I forgot about that part honestly lol.

I should've remembered that though, a guy I used to work for sheared one of the small ones in two doing burnouts in a turned up 12 valve. Kinda funny, it was just a ranch truck.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
No idea which input shaft I have, I forgot about that part honestly lol.

I should've remembered that though, a guy I used to work for sheared one of the small ones in two doing burnouts in a turned up 12 valve. Kinda funny, it was just a ranch truck.
Also the 5th gear nut on those 4500s can be a ticking time bomb too

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Gutted the cat today and replaced that hefty muffler with a 2.5” pipe. Happy to report that is the quietest straight pipe I’ve ever done! Little to no more noise over stock cruising but if you build boost and let off it does the cool turbo noises which is what it’s all about. Car actually seems to rev a little quicker which I am also happy about. Stilling running awesome on the burpod tune and will be sending some post exhaust logs to see if we can get it even more dialled.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Yeah, but not like a KDP lol, just can't lug it in 5th.
I believe the PO said he double-nutted it so hopefully no issues there.
The fix is a different mainshaft, 5th gear, and retention/lock nuts. This was the only fix that's held up for me.
I've eaten through a few main shafts till I was told about these guys. Been running one for years now.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Got an updated tune from burpod, went for a short rip, and got another update, which I'll see how it runs tomorrow. Think we're real close to perfection with the first one, and pretty excited to see how the second update turns out in the morning. It's a real ripper for what it is.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
The fix is a different mainshaft, 5th gear, and retention/lock nuts. This was the only fix that's held up for me.
I've eaten through a few main shafts till I was told about these guys. Been running one for years now.
Heh, good to know, too bad they don't make the shafts n gears any more.
Looks like the only option left is the full-spline shaft and gear from NV.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Heh, good to know, too bad they don't make the shafts n gears any more.
Looks like the only option left is the full-spline shaft and gear from NV.
Dam, that's too bad. Guess it kinda makes sense though, 12v and nv4500s arnt getting any newer.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Changed my transmission fluid today with MTR. Old stuff was clean but there wasn’t as much of it as there should have been. The transmission seals are leaking a little so this will be the test of just how bad. Also gave the Jetta a little wash and went for a good logging run.

mini_tim

TDI
‘02 Jetta wagon
Put a b6 Audi s4 steering wheel in the tdi wagon. I had to remove the yellow connector from the Audi wheel and put a plug from a vw.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Put a b6 Audi s4 steering wheel in the tdi wagon. I had to remove the yellow connector from the Audi wheel and put a plug from a vw.
This sounds cool. The thought has crossed my mind before to s4 swap the interior. It would be a lot of work but be cool.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Started the new BEW's timing belt job. Tensioner pointer was a wee bit more than a quarter of an inch from 'tight'. Gave me a bit of a shiver...

Douglas
Thats a little frightening! I know it's a different set up and they aren't torqu-e, but I've come across quite a few 2.slows that were still in time and the tensioner had failed or was loose at minimum. I even drove one with the tensioner completely loose just doing its own thing in there. Didn't lose time thankfully and I was able to get it back and retension it best I could with circlip pliers and a wrench.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
You can still keep the EGR valve , just do the stealth mod , remove the valve portion , make some block off plates and still keep the ASV portion of the EGR valve.
I was reading that thread but all the pics were gone .... is that just some sort of error or what can I do to see the pics? Thanks

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I was reading that thread but all the pics were gone .... is that just some sort of error or what can I do to see the pics? Thanks
I think that happened from when they switched to whatever server (?? Or whatever it is) inferno it's called maybe that we are on now. I can try and get you pics tomorrow of what that looks like. I'll pm them to you. If you don't hear from me just pm me as I forgot.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
the ASV is usually the culprit of leaking boost and oil. cut the innards out. drill it out . i tap it for a 12x1.5 bolt + crush washer. take grinder to an egr pipe flange and cut it off. re-using the gasket is usually fine then use some tin snips to cut out some scrap decent gauge flashing if you do't have a block-off palte. it's really best to avoid all that nonsense and get a cheap pd150 intake mainfold + race pipe from xman or similar/elsewhere.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Replaced the wiper blades, the air filter, and switched to Diesel Geek's short shifter on my 2001 MkIV Golf TDI. Oh and changed the shift gaiter from the stock vinyl to a leather one from Leatherseats.com....matches the seat covers I put in a few years back.

I found that I didn't need to replace the bushings for the shifter in the cabin. They were still tight as ever.
I did replace the assembly under the hood though. One of the bushing there was in bad shape. Lots of slop.
The shorter throw does take some getting used to...but not too bad.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,glutton for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah I just cut out the valve portion of the EGR and made the block off plates out of 1/8 inch steel with the gaskets and also removed the EGR cooler and made adapters to join the plumbing. Gives you a lot of room behind the motor without it.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Yeah I just cut out the valve portion of the EGR and made the block off plates out of 1/8 inch steel with the gaskets and also removed the EGR cooler and made adapters to join the plumbing. Gives you a lot of room behind the motor without it.
I want to do this. I do need to pass visual inspection, but then you can't really see the cooler anyway. In four years it won't matter at all tho.