What did you do to your MKIV today?

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
burpod knows way more than I about all this.
I've always used
Group 000 measuring blocks
From left to right
Engine idle speed: range 42 - 45 = 870-950
Start of injection: range 12 - 75 = 2 degrees ATDC - 3 degress BTDC
Unless your timing has been adapted, works just fine.
Yep, I am just missing basic settings so it is ecu adjusted. Burpod and I continued discussing it in my other thread, I am at a point where I feel I am ready with the info I have, despite not being able to access basic settings :)

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
SBC2 endurance install for a friend. always fun to do in the gravel driveway when its 40F out, and then hangups happen then it's 35F and dark crawling around looking for the socket you just thought you put right in front of you. next on the list, the fun part, updated tune + testing ... and in a week or so can really give it the beans :) the original DMF was starting to rotate in itself, but didn't need to cut it out, could get at the bolts so just went evenly and it pushed itself out :) the clutch disc however was clinging to life. he'd been milking it for over a year (mostly highway commute)...

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
So here is a day from HELL...changing the radiator required taking the entire front end off, and apparently something low and solid was hit putting the condenser in such a bend that it had to be removed (and recharged) after being stood upon to flatten it out.
Having only access to the Duralast Radiator #A2265 it wasn't a perfect fit and took a bit of fudge-ing and dammit-ing, and a few minutes of dremel-ling but it looks great now. I got the radiator overnight locally, otherwise IDParts would have been my source.
If you need to replace a radiator in these cars, make sure you get o-rings for both the top and bottom couplings because the non-German ones are usually out-of-round or the wrong size completely.
EDIT: I failed to mention the A/C had to be evacuated and recharged as well, thank God my friend has all the appropriate equipment, and knowledge of many makes and models. He is a Jeep Factory Certified Mechanic which comes in handy for my Wife's 2005 JGC.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Talking of speakers, my 2001 factory speakers are still in the factory holes and make no "off" noises; what I did do was install a Pioneer DSP CD changer/radio with 50 watts a channel. With a decent head unit the speakers sound really good for what they are.
I used to do 120dB plus competition stereo installs, so I know what " flat from 20 to 20" is supposed to sound like. No she isn't flat from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, but I am not going to cut up a 22 year old car to rewire the stereo system.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
If you need to replace a radiator in these cars, make sure you get o-rings for both the top and bottom couplings because the non-German ones are usually out-of-round or the wrong size completely.
I recommend leaving the o-rings alone. The only time I had an issue was when I tried to replace them.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I did mine a while back. Had to watch a lot of videos! I cleaned everything up that I could get to while I was in there, replaced a bunch of old hoses too. It was a royal PITA. If you’re going to do it, might aa well replace both fans, coolant thermoswitch, and etc. Hell it’s a good time to change out a LOT because with the front clip off, all you have is just the condensor hanging there. Everything else is exposed.
My temps have never been better. The ID Parts radiator actually keeps the engine warmer longer in the wintertime. I think it’s the Valeo and has much thinner, far far more numerous fins which easily bend too so be careful what you touch.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
SBC2 endurance install for a friend. always fun to do in the gravel driveway when its 40F out, and then hangups happen then it's 35F and dark crawling around looking for the socket you just thought you put right in front of you.
My mechanic life! I hate working on cars in the dark when it's cold and all your tools are missing. Only thing that makes your night more fun then that is 10 degree's out and wearing bibs and a coat with 2" of snow on the ground and you did actually put the socket in front of you but it fell off your cardboard and so now your searching through the snow for a snow filled socket that is now turned to ice. So then you have to go back to the garage for a screwdriver to pick the ice out :LOL:. This hasn't specifically happened to me all at one time, but all these things at once point or another have happened doing different jobs in the snow lol.
Edit: Not trying to one up you or anything, just relating to your struggles lol.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta

sruchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon
Those look like a great option for me. My leather is fine but I slip and slide in the seat and don’t feel enough support for my lumbar region as a result.
The new covers help with sliding as they are more grippy, but don't help with lumbar. You might be better off finding a replacement seat.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
" Drove 1.5 hours to pick up new wheels and tires for my truck. Well, only 3 would fit inside "

JD, looks like a Golf in the pic, I've removed the rear bench to allow the seat backs
to fold down further. It'll easily do 4 tires for my Jeep, with room to spare.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
" Drove 1.5 hours to pick up new wheels and tires for my truck. Well, only 3 would fit inside "

JD, looks like a Golf in the pic, I've removed the rear bench to allow the seat backs
to fold down further. It'll easily do 4 tires for my Jeep, with room to spare.
The passenger rear seat back will not fold/move. I haven't dug too much into the reason.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The passenger rear seat back will not fold/move. I haven't dug too much into the reason.
There's a $6 plastic piece that for the seat-back release that often breaks. Easy to replace (once you get the old/broken one out).
1J0885643

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Loaded a fireplace insert in IBW to take to my son in Western MA this AM.

Wanted to get it in front of the rear wheels for better weight distribution for the drive. That thing is heavy, I'd guess close to 300 lbs.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
There's a $6 plastic piece that for the seat-back release that often breaks. Easy to replace (once you get the old/broken one out).
1J0885643
What actually fails on that piece? My release moves up/down, but the seat back is solid. Does it fail internally like the "end" snaps off?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yes a piece breaks off preventing the seat from folding.
There are you tube videos of it.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
I have trying to diagnose and fix a no boost issue thats been going on for a week or so, of course after i lent my minivac out. Finally after screwing around with replacing lines etc i pulled the check valve and the entire white side was filled with like a rust dust? Cleaned it out with a needle and blew it out a bunch. Car runs great again took it out for a good Italian tune up.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
What actually fails on that piece? My release moves up/down, but the seat back is solid. Does it fail internally like the "end" snaps off?
Here's an image from VWparts. At least on the one that I replaced, one of the nubs at the end of the longer arm broke off, so it wouldn't grab the internal "catch" to pull the release mechanism.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
The rusty dust almost certainly came from the turbo actuator. It will be in your N75 as well. The problem will be back soon, time for a new actuator.
Thank you, i figured that, as its kind of the only place it can come from but im glad it’s confirmed.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Loaded a fireplace insert in IBW to take to my son in Western MA this AM.

Wanted to get it in front of the rear wheels for better weight distribution for the drive. That thing is heavy, I'd guess close to 300 lbs.
Hey IBW, as someone who use to build high efficiency wood stoves, and I realize this goes against all known logic: close the flue damper and leave the air intake in the front partially open. If you ask me I will explain why.