What did you do to your MKIV today?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
" I'm hard pressed to get up to 80*c by the time im pulling into work "

So at what revs are you shifting? How long does it take to get to work?
Per Oilhammer's advice, I start up and sit for 30secs or so. Once on the move I'll gradually
get up to 3k rpm before shifting. Fuel=heat, within 10 minutes or so I'm at 12 o'clock on the temp gauge.
Heat is coming out the vents at 10 o'clock. In the interest of saving my foam in the heating system, I
never run over 2nd speed on the fan. Once up to full temp, I routinely rev to the high 3k rpms before
shifting.

I must confess if the roads and temps are well below freezing, I switch to my CRD jeep. It has a viscous
system that's up to heat in about 5 minutes. I "shift/drive" the auto tranny to force the revs a bit higher.
Amittedly either of the two methods I employ are not fuel economy friendly, but I'm warm and toasty
in pretty short order. Keep the revs up on a diesel is my approach, works for me. Too many IMO
baby their engines. If I lived in a climate that was routinely well below freezing, a radiator block/shield,
and/or a Frostheater for the VW would be in order, the Jeep already has a block heater which I do use
for cold weather starts.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Vacuumed 2l of water out of the front passenger footwell :mad:

It snowed a little yesterday, didn't bother brushing it off because I wasn't going anywhere, and the sun melted most of it anyway. Today pouring rain and it turns out both front sunroof drains had an ice plug in the nipple on the door jamb. Quite a bit of water came out both drains when I cleared the ice, but only the passenger side floor got wet

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
Ugh! That sucks, man.
My wife laughs at how I'm fastidious about shovelling the drive and getting the snow off the cars when it arrives. But with how wet our snow is here on the west coast (reach into snow + clench/grab = snowball), and how rain (or worse, freezing temps) are close behind....I want to give those drains as little work to do as possible.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
" I'm hard pressed to get up to 80*c by the time im pulling into work "

So at what revs are you shifting? How long does it take to get to work?
Per Oilhammer's advice, I start up and sit for 30secs or so. Once on the move I'll gradually
get up to 3k rpm before shifting. Fuel=heat, within 10 minutes or so I'm at 12 o'clock on the temp gauge.
Heat is coming out the vents at 10 o'clock. In the interest of saving my foam in the heating system, I
never run over 2nd speed on the fan. Once up to full temp, I routinely rev to the high 3k rpms before
shifting.

I must confess if the roads and temps are well below freezing, I switch to my CRD jeep. It has a viscous
system that's up to heat in about 5 minutes. I "shift/drive" the auto tranny to force the revs a bit higher.
Amittedly either of the two methods I employ are not fuel economy friendly, but I'm warm and toasty
in pretty short order. Keep the revs up on a diesel is my approach, works for me. Too many IMO
baby their engines. If I lived in a climate that was routinely well below freezing, a radiator block/shield,
and/or a Frostheater for the VW would be in order, the Jeep already has a block heater which I do use
for cold weather starts.
My work commute time varries depending on how much traffic I get into in town. This time of year, when I'm the morning shift it typically take ~12-15 minutes. Most of which is down hill, since I live at the top of Mt Willson. Really it's the same issue with all our vehicles, but the diesels are the worst for it. Rpm doesn't nessisarily mean more fuel amd more heat. I'm hard pressed to get my egts above 300*f till I get to my first hill, even then it's a relatively small hill and I don't see much past 700*f egt. When cruising, 2-3k rpm results in about a 50* difference in egts, with pretty much no boost. None of this is conducive to making the engine warm up fast. My usual shift rom carries between 2.5-3k in the lower gears, and usually closer to the 2k rpm in 4th and 5th. My driving habits arnt going to change. It's pretty simple to block the radiator off though, and that makes a noticeable difference.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Well all downhill will make a difference. Whatever floats your boat as to driving style,
to each his own.
Lol, I'll get off my soapbox,,,,,,

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I recently surpassed one million miles on my '03 Golf and I'm preparing to retire it. It has some good parts and will be parted out at Hudson Auto Center (formerly Midwest Motorwerks) in Hudson WI in case anyone is interested.

My questions are this: A Jetta wagon that I bought out of Portland OR last year (previously owned by Nick Sackman, club member sackman) has .205 nozzles. My Golf has DLC 764 nozzles. How much improvement in performance should I expect if I swap the 764's into the wagon? And will my current Malone tune be fine as it is or should it be tweaked or upgraded?

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
I recently surpassed one million miles on my '03 Golf and I'm preparing to retire it. It has some good parts and will be parted out at Hudson Auto Center (formerly Midwest Motorwerks) in Hudson WI in case anyone is interested.

My questions are this: A Jetta wagon that I bought out of Portland OR last year (previously owned by Nick Sackman, club member sackman) has .205 nozzles. My Golf has DLC 764 nozzles. How much improvement in performance should I expect if I swap the 764's into the wagon? And will my current Malone tune be fine as it is or should it be tweaked or upgraded?
I would get a retune from Burpod if you went to those larger nozzles. With the correct tune those nozzles will be a nice bump in power in the wagon. Congrats on 1mil!

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Why not keep it as backup/parts? Or let someone else drive it?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Why not keep it as backup/parts? Or let someone else drive it?
I do not have anywhere to store it. And as it approached one million I've ignored minor problems which are starting to accumulate. I'll be pulling parts that I can use on one of my wagons, but mostly minor items: Nicktane filter head, almost new Blizzaks, almost new battery, and the injectors.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
I started my @burpod tuning! Am I impressed so far! Not only did he send me the KKL, MPPS and a ECU breakout harness all done including the resistor it came with an awesome sticker! No problem reading my current tune. Did some logs with it. Tomorrow hopefully we will see how the burpod tune does. I am very excited and would just like to say Guthrie’s customer service and knowledge is next level!

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I started my @burpod tuning! Am I impressed so far! Not only did he send me the KKL, MPPS and a ECU breakout harness all done including the resistor it came with an awesome sticker! No problem reading my current tune. Did some logs with it. Tomorrow hopefully we will see how the burpod tune does. I am very excited and would just like to say Guthrie’s customer service and knowledge is next level!
Same. Got my mpps cable yesterday. With it being Thanksgiving here south of the border, didn’t have time to load up the new tune and take it for a test drive. That will be tomorrow. But I also read my current tune to familiarize myself with the process. I appreciate that Guthrie has been patient with me; I’m not great with the compooter stuff.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Same. Got my mpps cable yesterday. With it being Thanksgiving here south of the border, didn’t have time to load up the new tune and take it for a test drive. That will be tomorrow. But I also read my current tune to familiarize myself with the process. I appreciate that Guthrie has been patient with me; I’m not great with the compooter stuff.
Yes me either. Trying to test my vcds lite and it wasn’t working then I clued in it probably should be plugged into the car 🤣. It also turns out I may have nozzles done or something which would be awesome!

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Yes me either. Trying to test my vcds lite and it wasn’t working then I clued in it probably should be plugged into the car 🤣. It also turns out I may have nozzles done or something which would be awesome!
New nozzles is what made me finally go for tuning. They’re .205s so would work fine with the stock tune (and gave a noticeable bump in power) but I wanted to get the most out of them.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
New nozzles is what made me finally go for tuning. They’re .205s so would work fine with the stock tune (and gave a noticeable bump in power) but I wanted to get the most out of them.
the factory tune also leaves a lot to be desired. quite a few things can be done to improve it for efficiency + little safe bump in power. .205s are better than stock nozzles, but still very tiny. with "large" nozzles like .260s there's a lot more you can do, not just for power, but efficiency, IMO. and be smoke free and perfectly safe even with a vnt15. i feel like a broken record saying this, but truly, done right, you can get more efficiency with less advance... giving you a little quieter running car in all fueling areas, more efficiency (as in economy but also in the higher IQ areas) and of course more power if you want it, without all the advance and the stress on the engine that goes along with that. it's a win/win :) .205s are only ~1.23x the surface area of .184s, so the increase in fueling/max-fueling is pretty small, durations aren't all that much shorter and thus still require quite a bit of advance for the power increase everyone expects. much better to "oversize" the nozzles like OEM does :)

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Screenshot_20231123-092544_Photos.jpg
I saw this over on the book of faces... kinda an interesting, though sketchy rig, but if done right could be pretty useful.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
lol, i saw that too somewhere... i think i'd rather just use a trailer hitch. some people probably should stay away from the sawzall and welder....

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
lol, i saw that too somewhere... i think i'd rather just use a trailer hitch. some people probably should stay away from the sawzall and welder....
Funny thing is that I saw it and later on found out it was a guy I know who built it... he has some out of the box ideas, and this was one of them...

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Ours will maintain operating temp on the highway when it's -30C out, but not in town or heavy traffic. Not sure blocking off the radiator would make much difference at low speeds, but I haven't tried it.
Oh yeah they’ll usually heat okay if you can keep it under a decent load.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I see you're in Texas but am curious what would prompt this "secondary inspection". Is it something about crossing the border? I live in WA state but am likely planning to drive into Mexico/Baja over the next few months. Have never driven between US/Mex. but am more familiar with US/Canada crossings.
They wanted to do it again yesterday. This customs guy was actually pretty cool. He just wanted some kind of proof I was actually visiting my dentist (which I was able to pull up FAST on a new ToughBook I just bought). That saved me at least 30-45 minutes. Now heading INTO Mexico, they did a little bit more of a search. The only English speaker in the Mexican military spoke horrid English, and 3 years of Spanish as a third language didn't serve me too well. He almost pulled the SSD out of my Toughbook while it was running, didn't close the hatch of my Golf fully, and asked for registration and my passport. I would presume Baja would be fairly easy, given how many people cross into there from California on a daily basis, whereas Acuña is a safer/smaller area.

To make it worse - I took DSOL with me the first time, and they were asking questions I couldn't answer about the previous owner. So I took DSEL yesterday (bought it from an Audi dealership in CA, so I could answer better questions, like when I bought it).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
my lower grill stealth radiator block (section of thin copper/vinyl flashing) + the standard $.50 pipe foam upper grill block. such a big help in the colder months... especially when one has a bit of a leaky-open t-stat :rolleyes:

What? No vanity plate that says BURPOD? What the hell Guthrie?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
View attachment 134563
I saw this over on the book of faces... kinda an interesting, though sketchy rig, but if done right could be pretty useful.
That looks like one good speed bump or pop hole away from collapsing in the middle.

OTOH - it would be worth articulating this for low speed turns because we know how well most tow dollies turn. Maybe some hydro or air setup like they use for low riders with a job handle. Then a locking pin or latch for speeds over 10mph or so. I would imagine articulated steering would get pretty squirrelly at hiway speeds.

Never mind - that still would NOT fix the problem of the car on the dolly needing to articulate somehow without hitting the dolly's fenders

Jason

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Changed the battery in my key fob. Of course I got it upside down the first time.
Now it works! The old battery was getting to the point where I had to be standing
right by the doorlock, or just go old school and put the key in the lock. Not the end
of the world, lol. Nanny electronics, sheesh, Judy's Tacoma is a whole host of gizmos.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Holy macaroni Moz...that gent shoulda started with a 2DR. And to heck with that anyway, that TDI-getter duty is adequately served by a pickup and dolly. Not that it would fail to draw a crowd at a GTG tho.

Douglas

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
Checked my glowplugs, three @ 0̷.6ohms, one @ 0̷.7ohms. All good from what I understand. Upped there op time a bit with obdeleven, and noticed my battery is at 11.3V??? Probably the cause of my slow/hard start? It is only a couple months old from cantire, with a warranty. Maybe I should swap it, but I am also wondering if it means my alternator may be bad... Damn. I am also endeavouring to check timing with obdeleven, a work in progress for me. Using germanparts.cas black friday sale, I also ordered a fuel filter and 2 new park brake cables so I can finally stop both rather than one wheel. Been using first as a park brake since I bought it.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
So i have wanted blu tooth in my 2001 bug so i could be hands free on phone and audio and so i bought an alpine ute-73bt to connect to the monsoon amp a few years ago. It sounds pretty ok and i had blu tooth. My son decided that the grom blu tooth module sounds so much better and is what he has in his car so he got me one. I pulled out the monsoon radio from storage and connected it all back up with the grom blue tooth. I must say the audio is very very good and sounds much more full than the alpine connected to the monsoon. So good so that i will be restoring the factory monsoon in my 2006 bug with the grom-bt3 very soon as well.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Ordered a downpipe and turn signal stalk for the Jetta from IDparts today for installation on my next vacation from work...

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Installed a tune from burpod And took it for a test drive. Car pulls well all the way up to redline, whereas before the injectors and tune there was basically nothing after 3k rpm. Gave her the beans going uphill in fourth, and the clutch (original, 238k miles) held fine. I think we still have to do a little fine tuning, and I need to clean out my (now obsolete) egr valve & probably the intake mani, though I’ll wait for warmer weather to go that far.

Also ordered an oil change kit, fuel filter, and parking brake cables from IDParts.

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Installed a tune from burpod And took it for a test drive. Car pulls well all the way up to redline, whereas before the injectors and tune there was basically nothing after 3k rpm. Gave her the beans going uphill in fourth, and the clutch (original, 238k miles) held fine.
What hardware are you running? I have been wanting to do the same. Just really didn't want to mess with the clutch. Mileage is similar.