What did you do to your MKIV today?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
I did this two weeks ago too - but am I wrong in thinking that upper driver side block is blocking the intake? I left mine open up there to allow for air flow to the filter, but maybe I am wrong. I also covered the intercooler grille, but not the bottom centre grille. I also cut foam to stealth block the emblems airflow, it actually looks pretty cool.
you're right, the factory CAI ducting does get air from the upper right grill part, but i've deleted the "CAI" ducting in my car. so if you do have the factory CAI, you would want to leave that part unblocked :) but i've found it has negligible, virtually immeasurable, affect on IATs in *almost* all situations. i simply cut a larger inlet hole in the bottom of the airbox (the size it would be for an r32 snorkel, which i used to use with the ducting) and remove the "CAI" stuff. the only time where you get higher IATs is when you're idling or moving along very slow in hot summer traffic. but high IATs there aren't that big of a deal IMO. all that extra plastic around there bugs me and always seems to fit kinda loosey-goosey. i think i also had some issues with it fitting right because of the HID headlights or something else causing problems. also got rid of the battery cover, engine cover and probably some other bits years ago

i do plan to use some foam or something else simple to try and block some of the warmer engine bay air and thus get more cold air sucking in from below, but it just really hasn't been an issue. even in the summer here (which doesn't usually get too hot - it rarely hits 90F) IATs are a non-issue

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Pulled the middle two injectors and cleaned out the bores for them. Rolled up a cone of paper to fill the holes and blew out all the crap in there. Then used acetone and qtips to clean it all up nice and shiny.

Reinstalled and bled the lines. Fired up great and runs good, zero leaks from all four holes. I was thinking maybe I should do the same with the other two and I well might soon, but it’s good enough for now.

Test drive was great. Also logged for Burpod. Car pulls much better now—combo of the nozzles new-ness and larger size, I’m sure. Pulls way better in the higher revs than before, and I didn’t see any smoke plus there was zero shudder. I've left IQ the same at Burpod’s request for the log. He's suggesting I drop the IQ adaptation 40 for now, will do a tune soon.

Also put the snows on, which are mounted on Jaramas I ghetto-refinished.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I love my MK4 TDI, I need to get the guy that painted it to fix his sloppy job, and my Driver's seat is down to the foam.
My full coverage insurance is $50.00 a month, and I haven't had a car payment in almost 10 years.
Would I like something newer, well yes and no. Bells and whistles are cool, but there are plenty of good used seats at Pick'N'Pull for $50.00 each, I have had a dash cover since I bought her, and the rest of the upholstery is at least 80% of new quality when cleaned.
I am happy with my @burpod tune for both performance and FE, and stomping the occasional 6.2 Power Joke whenever i line up with one. I know someone has a 6.2 that really hauls a$$ around here but I haven't come across them yet.
My Wife, whom I dearly love, wants me to drive something newer, but doesn't understand the TDI love thing. Her Hemi-powered Jeep Grand Cherokee is a hoot to drive, but the FE averages 12 or 13 MPG. She drives less than 10 miles to work every day so the Jeep doesn't really kill the pocketbook on a daily basis.

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
Doing this via flipping a few bits (VDS-PRO or @gmenounos's tool) in the CCM is a lot easier, and a lot easier to reverse if things should go awry.
I had not seen how to in that thread, but have seen a bunch of threads for the jetta reprogramming, is that a golf thing too? Also, I am feeling even more dumb than that first post now. I went back out today to decide what had caused it to stop working. The actuator was not pushing all the way, so I cleaned the rotating faces with maf cleaner (plastic safe) and cycled it a bunch, which makes me think maybe my wiring was right, and probably was doing what I wanted, but the unfortunately timed actuator problem mislead me. And now I have the door panel back on and I am not taking it back off while it is snowing, but I left the new wire still fed it into the door to make it easier when I get to it on a day off at works shop this winter. To be continued... At least my trunk still works.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
I had not seen how to in that thread, but have seen a bunch of threads for the jetta reprogramming, is that a golf thing too?
Yes. :)
However you are able to re-write the bits / bytes (VDS-Pro or @gmenounos kw1281 tool or something else), you're aiming to do the same thing - summarized in this spreadsheet.

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
Yes. :)
However you are able to re-write the bits / bytes (VDS-Pro or @gmenounos kw1281 tool or something else), you're aiming to do the same thing - summarized in this spreadsheet.
I feel dizzy looking at that, but yes I believe that is indeed what I am after. I unfortunately lack the computer skills and know how my generation is supposed to have.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"We're sure it's not a boot? tailgate? 5th door?"

Boot is British for trunk.. Tailgates fold down, as on p/u trucks. 5th door is like on my Liberty Jeep,
with glass and hinges vertically on one side. So yes, we're sure. LOL, notice the "imperial" we. ;)
Now on some vans you get, usually, a 3rd and 4th door, or for those with the slide side, a 4th & 5th door.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Feeling a bit dumb... I tried rewiring my hatch lock to be with the driver door lock as seen in another thread on here. Did not work, so I went to put it back together stock and now I can hear the trunk motor move, but it is not unlatching when I pulled the handle. A bit worried I messed something up properly, and now I am all dejected, not sure what I am going to do. On another note, I changed my IQ last night from 2.3 to 4.5
I did the programming of the ccm on mine. Worked great!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Took the 2DR to Chicago for a LB5M hood. Now that I have done that, I am sure that folk right next door will turn them up in car load lots, all inquiring, why did you go so far when I have 3 of them in my shed?

Douglas

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Ok, so now you've got 4 hoods? Why????????
Forgive Doug, he can speak in uncertain terms sometimes. He has been looking for that specific hood for about 6 months without any luck. He is saying that now that he HAS one, someone will come along and say they had one the entire time and it will be much closer than the 5 hour 1 way trip.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Took the 2DR to Chicago for a LB5M hood. Now that I have done that, I am sure that folk right next door will turn them up in car load lots, all inquiring, why did you go so far when I have 3 of them in my shed?

Douglas
I understood your meaning, and yes, that’s usually how that works 🤦‍♂️😂

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Hoods are nice. I'd take my 4 dr out on a trip for a hood. I once found a professionally refinished hood, same color as mine, perfectly done. I just didn't have the money for it and I have always regretted not being able to snag it.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
... and now back to our regularly scheduled program ;)

I did the summer to winter tire and wheel changeover. At the same time, replaced badly worn rear pads and rotors. Both rear brake calipers are showing their age and the pistons were VERY difficult to rotate backwards enough to get the new pads in (yes, I have the proper rewind tool).

I also added my "trusty" sheets of coroplast in front of the radiator to help reduce the cold winter air's cooling effect (same sheets have lasted almost 10 years!). If anyone's interested, I made a "How To" for this several years ago.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...ith-coroplast-to-keep-warm-for-winter.428973/
NOTE: This is not meant to open up the "pipe insulation" vs "everything else" debate, this is just what I do.
Although I do think/know my thermostat is not working properly, as the car hasn't quite been getting up to temperature for quite some time now.

I have also been monitoring a small, and intermittent coolant leak that seems to be coming from the coolant flange o-ring below the vacuum pump. I have a new o-ring ready to go, now I guess I just need to replace it.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
... and now back to our regularly scheduled program ;)

I did the summer to winter tire and wheel changeover. At the same time, replaced badly worn rear pads and rotors. Both rear brake calipers are showing their age and the pistons were VERY difficult to rotate backwards enough to get the new pads in (yes, I have the proper rewind tool).

I also added my "trusty" sheets of coroplast in front of the radiator to help reduce the cold winter air's cooling effect (same sheets have lasted almost 10 years!). If anyone's interested, I made a "How To" for this several years ago.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...ith-coroplast-to-keep-warm-for-winter.428973/
NOTE: This is not meant to open up the "pipe insulation" vs "everything else" debate, this is just what I do.
Although I do think/know my thermostat is not working properly, as the car hasn't quite been getting up to temperature for quite some time now.

I have also been monitoring a small, and intermittent coolant leak that seems to be coming from the coolant flange o-ring below the vacuum pump. I have a new o-ring ready to go, now I guess I just need to replace it.
I love that coroplast stuff for winter fronts. I have a nice one that drops right in between the rad and intercooler on my ‘96 Ram, they made it so easy on those trucks.
I had a piece for the Jetta that I could slide up from below, but I realized it only fit through under there because the bottom of my lock carrier had been “removed” by some previous owner, so now that I have a new lock carrier that isn’t missing pieces I’ll have to go in from behind the grille like you. Thanks for the link, I had forgotten about that method! 👍🏼

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Back on topic,,,,,, radiator shields et al. Ummmm, fix your thermostat folks, granted I don't live
in the snow/severe freezing belt. And I did fit some cardboard for winter running until I did the above.

And on a cheerier note, my fuel gauge was stuck on 3/4 of a tank. After a bunch of additives thrown in
the tank, and finding a new sensor and fuel tank flange gasket, it's starting to behave.
AARodriguez has a video remove and replace because of sludge buildup on the tank sending unit.
I'm thinking I may have it beat with (what a great excuse) some aggressive driving to slosh fuel
around in the tank.

NB. Just to be clear, I did NOT venture into the tank, lol the threat of same has got the old girl
starting to behave again, she didn't like being neglected for 4 months.

Last edited:

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Ummmm, fix your thermostat folks, granted I don't live
in the snow/severe freezing belt.
Best stick to what you know then 😁😉
Diesels produce very little extra heat and in the cold (-25 or -30°C is about average, sometimes we get cursed with -40) you will find the car will not maintain operating temp, and at that point you’re starting to freeze in the cab...
So airflow through the cooling stack must be blocked at least partially to keep the thing warm.
This is not a TDI specific issue, it is not a thermostat issue, ALL diesels are like this. Welcome to the COLD. 🥶🥶

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Ours will maintain operating temp on the highway when it's -30C out, but not in town or heavy traffic. Not sure blocking off the radiator would make much difference at low speeds, but I haven't tried it.

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV GOLF 05 BEW, 05 Jetta Wagon(not rolling),2000 Golf, DURAMAX LBZ, X5 35D
[QUOTE="Rrusse11, post: 5827421, member: 408327"

And on a cheerier note, my gas gauge was stuck on 3/4 of a tank.
[/QUOTE]
You have a gas gauge in your car?......

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Back on topic,,,,,, radiator shields et al. Ummmm, fix your thermostat folks, granted I don't live
in the snow/severe freezing belt. And I did fit some cardboard for winter running until I did the above.

And on a cheerier note, my fuel gauge was stuck on 3/4 of a tank. After a bunch of additives thrown in
the tank, and finding a new sensor and fuel tank flange gasket, it's starting to behave.
AARodriguez has a video remove and replace because of sludge buildup on the tank sending unit.
I'm thinking I may have it beat with (what a great excuse) some aggressive driving to slosh fuel
around in the tank.

NB. Just to be clear, I did NOT venture into the tank, lol the threat of same has got the old girl
starting to behave again, she didn't like being neglected for 4 months.
Mmm, no, t-stat was replaced this past summer, even just with the temps being in the high 20's-low 30's*f in the mornings, I'm hard pressed to get up to 80*c by the time im pulling into work. It used to be pretty common place for everyone to block the radiator, at least partially during the winter.