Today, I put the oil pan back on. I cleaned it really well, and cleaned the block really well, and applied a nice bead of ThreeBond, and got it up into place and threaded in a couple of middle side bolts to hold everything while I got the three bolts from the transmission started, and got the 4 bolts up in the cave started, and then got all the other bolts started, and then worked my way around and tightened all the bolts and was very pleased with myself and then turned around and there on the bench was...
...the windage tray.
So I had to do it all again.
WE INTERRUPT THIS POST FOR A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT -- The torque spec for the 4 little hex head bolts that hold on the bottom pulley is NOT "Hey, now that I have these bathed in Loctite, hand me that impact gun!"
Fortunately I have an acetylene torch and some very high quality hex bits, so the offending bolts came out. New ones will be required for assembly.
Of course, the crank seal refused all removal efforts that were short of damaging the crank, so I ended up taking off the front cover, further disrupting my oil pan reseal. And somehow among all the parts I ordered, I did not get a crank seal. And in the shop stash of VW parts, there were several cam seals, but no crank seal. By this time the dog was getting tired of being at the shop anyway, so I called it a day.
Tomorrow, I will attempt to replace the broken back timing cover, then get the new head installed. I could probably find a crank seal locally, but I'm not going to finish tomorrow anyway, so getting the head on will be enough progress for this weekend.
The amount of hackery encountered has been fairly low. Other than the stupid tight pulley bolts, the serp belt tensioner was missing a bolt, and the top bolt on the alternator was loose.