What did you do to your MKIV today?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
So, on purpose, i put 2 liters of gasoline in the tank, little less than half. Runs much better, the tuner most definifely did not remove the speed limiter as i requested.
uhhh, why are you putting gas in your tdi? if it runs better with gas in it... i would question the quality of the tune you got :oops:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
As long as the tank was mostly empty and also then filled up with diesel - nothing to worry about.

Very common and one of the most reliable anti-gel solutions out there.
You guys are brave. I've seen some pretty serious fuel system damage in diesels from gas in them.

I know it's a risk I wouldn't take.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Stuck on the side of the road at -30 because your fuel gelled or put in 10% gasoline?

Lots of places don't adequately treat their diesel to prevent gelling or have any other option (like #1).

If you fill it with 90% gasoline, yep, you're going to have (expensive) problems if you drive it.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
Lol 2SO is lubrication not for gelling.

Y'all go ahead and put gas in your diesels if it tickles your fancy.
If there's gas in the tank better add something for lubricity.. like synthetic oil I think I'll stick with power service if the gas station has it on the shelf

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
If there's gas in the tank better add something for lubricity.. like synthetic oil I think I'll stick with power service if the gas station has it on the shelf
I've used 2sO in the Golf...mainly in the Cummins though. When I was rebuilding my IP I coated everything with 2SO if I didn't finish something overnight.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
I've put a bit of diesel in gas engine, it runs better, why not try backwards. My cummins runs much better with a bit of gas as well

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
I've put a bit of diesel in gas engine, it runs better, why not try backwards. My cummins runs much better with a bit of gas as well
if you're tuned by who i think you're tuned by, there's very likely way too much advanced timing going on... the gas is probably taming that down and helping things LOL. except that for some fuel/rpm amounts, it's likely hurting, but helping other ranges...

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Car has been running great so haven't had to do any "maintenance", so I took the time after I cleaned up the tangs of the OEM bulb trays to make a new 5th brake light wire (originally was kinda rushing through it so I hacked it together, didn't have the right connectors, etc) and re-install everything in the good as new trays:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
Car has been running great so haven't had to do any "maintenance", so I took the time after I cleaned up the tangs of the OEM bulb trays to make a new 5th brake light wire (originally was kinda rushing through it so I hacked it together, didn't have the right connectors, etc) and re-install everything in the good as new trays:

No LED up top? ;)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
A while ago (months), my electric actuator to open the trunk stopped working. Been using the key to open the trunk in the meantime, which is a PITA.

Everything seemed to be functional, so started looking for broken wires...Found them! The purple wire is the extra that I ran from the decklid switch to the door switch.

Kind of a PITA to fix, and will probably break again either just above or below the connectors. Ultimately will need to replace each wire and splice it in an area that doesn't bend much.

Does anyone make a replacement transfer mechanism? I've 3 Jetta trunk lids, every one is broken like this one :(. I've tried to cobble something together with a zip tie, but no luck.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
A while ago (months), my electric actuator to open the trunk stopped working. Been using the key to open the trunk in the meantime, which is a PITA.

Everything seemed to be functional, so started looking for broken wires...Found them! The purple wire is the extra that I ran from the decklid switch to the door switch.

Kind of a PITA to fix, and will probably break again either just above or below the connectors. Ultimately will need to replace each wire and splice it in an area that doesn't bend much.

Does anyone make a replacement transfer mechanism? I've 3 Jetta trunk lids, every one is broken like this one :(. I've tried to cobble something together with a zip tie, but no luck.
Kinda looks like you need to apply the same type of fix we do for our Golf hatches...

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Care to share more details on the Golf hatch fix?

You definitely want to make the new connections on the parts of the harness that don't bend. Also use very flexible (silicone housing) stand wire.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
My glow plugs seem to test OK but I don't think they actually have the right wattage output, so what's a good brand for frigid Canadian Winter use?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
You definitely want to make the new connections on the parts of the harness that don't bend. Also use very flexible (silicone housing) stand wire.
Not easy to do on the Jetta trunk, the flex point is too close to where the harness enters the lid. I soldered the wires where they broke, then took a 2-3" length of flat spring steel (from a shoe arch IIRC :)) and bound it to the wire bundle with electrical tape. The idea is to spread the flex, and it seems to work as the repair has lasted 7 years and counting.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
My glow plugs seem to test OK but I don't think they actually have the right wattage output, so what's a good brand for frigid Canadian Winter use?
What makes you think they don't glow? You can pull them and test with a car battery, they should be bright orange in a couple of seconds - don't burn yourself!

I have only ever seen Bosch and Beru ALH glow plugs, both are good.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Not easy to do on the Jetta trunk, the flex point is too close to where the harness enters the lid. I soldered the wires where they broke, then took a 2-3" length of flat spring steel (from a shoe arch IIRC :)) and bound it to the wire bundle with electrical tape. The idea is to spread the flex, and it seems to work as the repair has lasted 7 years and counting.
If you read my thread it's not easy on the Golf either because of how close the breaks are. Ended up having to pop the hatch cover and cargo side covers, release the harness, pull enough through to work on, make connections in areas where you can push the connection back "through" the grommet on the car side and the other connection is on the hatch side. That flexible wire in the boot now will never get brittle or crack and there are no connections in the boot.

I imagine you'd have to do something similar for the Jetta, sounds like your soldering job worked though and the spring takes up the flex rather than the wires

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
What makes you think they don't glow? You can pull them and test with a car battery, they should be bright orange in a couple of seconds - don't burn yourself!

I have only ever seen Bosch and Beru ALH glow plugs, both are good.
Seems to miss for a few seconds starting, and since day one it needed a lot of cranking below freezing. But i always put her away for winter, this is the first winter i can't

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,glutton for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
How’s the mechanical and dynamic timing?
I usually set my timing to near the upper line on the graph….
If slightly retarded it will make starting harder when cold….