What did you do to your MKIV today?

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Was doing a once over on my a4 sedan and realized I was missing the plugs in the bottom of the trunk. I went to buy them online and the only thing I've found are 40mm and 30mm round plugs.. they're missing.. do I just measure the hole diameter? Does someone know this or where the best place is to get them? I also think I want to replace all the door and trunk rubber

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Took my #2 2000 Beetle up into the western oil fields of North Dakota to retrieve a low-mileage EBJ transmission. Nothing but wide-open country and tough, God-loving Americans up there. Good people.

Logged over 500 miles and ran 85 mph part of the time. Beetle was flawless. All the work on that dash-fire beetle paid off.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Took my #2 2000 Beetle up into the western oil fields of North Dakota to retrieve a low-mileage EBJ transmission. Nothing but wide-open country and tough, God-loving Americans up there. Good people.

Logged over 500 miles and ran 85 mph part of the time. Beetle was flawless. All the work on that dash-fire beetle paid off.
Have to love that you can do all that on one tank of diesel and still have 200 miles range left.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Was doing a once over on my a4 sedan and realized I was missing the plugs in the bottom of the trunk. I went to buy them online and the only thing I've found are 40mm and 30mm round plugs.. they're missing.. do I just measure the hole diameter? Does someone know this or where the best place is to get them? I also think I want to replace all the door and trunk rubber
The one in the center of the well is a drain: https://www.idparts.com/drain-tube-grommet-a3a4b55-893803593-p-7262.html

The other one should be a regular plug, not too hard to find.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
The one in the center of the well is a drain: https://www.idparts.com/drain-tube-grommet-a3a4b55-893803593-p-7262.html

The other one should be a regular plug, not too hard to find.
Hi

I was missing a few body plugs on the underside of my car .

I was paranoid as to whether some of them were drains or not (I ended up buying some of your plugs and some of them don't fit because I think the factory use a lot of sealant (making the holes smaller) or maybe I bought the wrong sizes I don't know... But for what it's worth I just used seaking plugs and added some more seam sealer.

By chance do you have a map of the underside of the car that would say what plug is what?

Thanks

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
On daughter’s 05 Golf (gasser), replaced her exhaust from the cat back. Her original muffler rusted off over the winter, and her NYSI is expired at the end of the month.

The eBay replacement she bought was surprisingly good. Stainless, though I’m sure a lower grade. And it came with two of the proper double-clamp connectors. I think she paid like $240 shipped.

Her car is so quiet now that I could hear a groan at 40 mph coming from apparently the left rear. Checked both rear wheels for play, but the bearings seem good. I think it might be her brakes.

Pancake Slap

TDI
2005 5spd Jetta Wagon TDI
Changed my tandem pump gasket on the wagon. Finally running without spurting fuel everywhere.

Installed new side mirror glass while I was at it. The original passenger side glass fell off while I was driving it leaving just the "objects in mirror" text, and it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize the mirror wasn't fogged over.

After all that, I decided to run it through a car wash near my house, and noticed it has a very strange burning smell coming from the rear wheel. After checking it over I ruled out the caliper and handbrake. I'm guessing the wheel cleaner package I opted for is burning off of the rotor.

Finally finished the day off by hitting the vents with some Lysol. Next up is getting the new radio mounted and hopefully some speakers.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
New beetle, would 205 65 16 tires fit? I know the 205 75 15 fits some beetles at 26.3" tall but I don't know if it's with a lift.

Brett San Diego

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta wagon manual
Her car is so quiet now that I could hear a groan at 40 mph coming from apparently the left rear. Checked both rear wheels for play, but the bearings seem good. I think it might be her brakes.
Bearings don't have to have play to be noisy. Still could be a wheel bearing.
Brett

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I understand. Her rear brakes didn't look too good though, and I will be changing them soon anyway. We shall see then.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I have no close approaches with 205/60-16 on RX2 BBS wheels. No spacers...though a 10mm would be welcome and pose no fitment issue.

Douglas

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
2001 beetle. I've been driving this car for 4 years and 80000 miles.. Only this morning did I learn that if you push the cruise control set button And keep holding it then then the preset speed will lower lower.

Brett San Diego

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta wagon manual
2001 beetle. I've been driving this car for 4 years and 80000 miles.. Only this morning did I learn that if you push the cruise control set button And keep holding it then then the preset speed will lower lower.
:) Pretty common across manufacturers these days to double up the functions of the buttons. Set button is also the Decel button with a long press, and the Resume button is also Accel with a long press. At least, on the multifunction wheel, there's real estate available to label the buttons "Set -" and "Res +".

Brett
Edit: Brainfarted. Got it backwards at first. Fixed now

Last edited:

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
And if you keep the resume slider pressed, it will accelerate

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well last week after the radiator install drove down to Santa Fe, NM and back. Temps held but still wandered from 88C to 92C. Weird. Definitely increased when climbing steep grades holding 10psi of boost. No other problems though; fluid levels held steady. 47mpg which includes puttering around town some.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf

Nice to see I'm not the only one with twin cars. Technically, I have triplets, but two of them are both 2002, as shown below. Are you two 2000 Beetles the same color? I also have yet to visit the Dakotas and Montana, but all three are on my bucket list someday.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What did I do...

First took both cars to an appointment I made a week prior at Firestone, for my lifetime alignment deal I purchased. No, U-Haul won't rent me out a tow dolly with this setup, which is why I bought it outright in February (they sell used tow dollies, and this one is about 2000 or 2001, so not new, but definitely over-engineered). I'm also fixing to use the tow dolly to bring Brian's Cabreetle project here for a bit (since I obviously have quite a bit of parking space).

Turns out the Sportwagen was more off than the Golf. The Golf got a new steering rack, and I changed out 100% of the suspension components, so new bushings (including rear), springs, struts, and obviously tie rods, which came with my new steering rack (old one was leaking out of both ends).

Barely got home. Was starting to doze off (thanks to transitioning to a keto diet), but managed to stay up until 3am moving my darkside SMIC from the Ute onto my second 2002 Golf, and then putting on a Garrett VNT17 that I think came from the junkyard. It looked pretty new and I used it before, but broke a stud when pulling off the exhaust in the past. Learned from my mistake by using copper anti-seize this time around. Also spent over an hour cleaning intakes. First one had some pitting on the seat, so I opted not to use it and found a nicer looking one. In the future, I'll be doing the same darkside custom intake manifold setup as on my daily 2002.

Car runs as it should, and today, it gets a replacement BEW lift pump (the junkyard one crapped out on me), and also 2003-style injectors (I like the 2003-style plug better) with Wuztem .230 injector nozzles. Sent it up to Able Fuel Injection in Lewisville, TX, who took about a week between me mailing it up there and them mailing it back. They only charge $40 per injector, super fast, knowledgable, and turnaround time is incredible. I wouldnt' take injectors anywhere else!

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
How much did you pay for the uhaul tow dolly?
There's one for sale in my local Uhaul for 1100$. It's in fair condition. You can search all they sell on uhaul truck sales website along with where near you they are.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Wuztem .230 injector nozzles. Sent it up to Able Fuel Injection in Lewisville, TX, who took about a week between me mailing it up there and them mailing it back. They only charge $40 per injector, super fast, knowledgable, and turnaround time is incredible. I wouldnt' take injectors anywhere else!

Are they able to set both pressures or just the first pilot injection pressure?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Are they able to set both pressures or just the first pilot injection pressure?
I'd have to call and ask tomorrow, as he forgot to send out some fuel additive I wanted to buy (cetane enhancer for the cars and lubricity enhancer for the naturally aspirated farm equipment). I do know that a friend's business in North Texas exclusively sends injector nozzle rebuilds his way.

For what it's worth, this is what it showed at hot idle on my new injectors. Not perfect, but not far off.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
There's one for sale in my local Uhaul for 1100$. It's in fair condition. You can search all they sell on uhaul truck sales website along with where near you they are.
Yup, you answered it. So the lowest U-Haul will "negotiate" I think is like $999, which came out to just under $1100 after taxes. It's a shame they don't rent the tandem axle versions, but it's still incredibly useful to have, especially when I acquired my other two Golfs this year.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Oh, and what did I do today? Installed my newly rebuilt injectors with .230 nozzles onto my second 2002 Golf. The first one will get .260 tomorrow.

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Had no idea they had that website and sold their trucks and trailers like that, thanks!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Yesterday I put a tuned ecm in my bew jetta. It was an ecm I picked up in the classifieds. I honestly don't know what it's tuned for, but it was cheap and was on stock components before.
Kerma tuned. I can feel a bit of difference in the power, but I still have other issues I need to fix, like the g28 ground issue, it overboosts and goes into limp mode (did that before the tuned ecm)
Has an egr and swirl flap delete, but really I think a lot of issues stem from it being a Chinese head and cam on it... I have another head I'm building for it, as well as a stock cam. Just gotta actually do it.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
So I'm seriously stoked. As suggested by others on these forums, if I have an EGR/ASV delete, I probably don't need the vacuum reservoir.

Some background: I've been having problems pulling from off idle for years and years, especially with the a/c on.

Removed the reservoir this morning and went for a drive. Started up faster, throttle response razor sharp by comparison, off idle response excellent.

So fook mi it looks like my reservoir must have had a leak in it for who knows how long. AND the engine bay looks cleaner without that stupid bottle in the way and I can get at the glow plugs and connections better. YAY!

Oh, and after coming back from Santa Fe, driving around town, then down to Colorado and back got 49.5mpg, which is the highest I've ever recorded with this car.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
So I'm seriously stoked. As suggested by others on these forums, if I have an EGR/ASV delete, I probably don't need the vacuum reservoir.

Some background: I've been having problems pulling from off idle for years and years, especially with the a/c on.

Removed the reservoir this morning and went for a drive. Started up faster, throttle response razor sharp by comparison, off idle response excellent.

So fook mi it looks like my reservoir must have had a leak in it for who knows how long. AND the engine bay looks cleaner without that stupid bottle in the way and I can get at the glow plugs and connections better. YAY!

Oh, and after coming back from Santa Fe, driving around town, then down to Colorado and back got 49.5mpg, which is the highest I've ever recorded with this car.
Interesting.
How does the reservoir affect throttle response? It's really just a holding tank....

Did you ever check for leaks with a mightyvac? Would be easy to tell if it's leaking.