What did you do to your MKIV today?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I've looked at that but this is what concerns me:

"This pan is considered a retrofit upgrade as it may interfere with and require moving the power steering line or shaving of the A/C compressor and other items. Fitment is not guaranteed."

In addition, you still have the vulnerable cast aluminum part. Some years back there was an ALL STEEL pan available, but I can't find it now.
Look this over, someone had a few in their personal stock, maybe still do

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Well my radiator blew as I pulled into my driveway today…..started pulling everything apart.
I’ve had a slow leak on the ends where the plastic to aluminum seam is……only good thing is I had ordered parts a month ago…..was just waiting for the right time……. I guess it’s now….on the hottest days in my area🙄🙄🙄.
My rad crimp has had a high pressure leak for 3 years. Had a new rad for 1.5 years, still waiting for the right time/excuse to change it.... Just learned to drive it so it doesn't leak

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Well my radiator blew as I pulled into my driveway today…..started pulling everything apart.
I’ve had a slow leak on the ends where the plastic to aluminum seam is……only good thing is I had ordered parts a month ago…..was just waiting for the right time……. I guess it’s now….on the hottest days in my area🙄🙄🙄.
Service position bolts help a lot with that job.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
im also running the hybrid oil pan on several alh cars. They have taken minimal modification to fit. i seem to remember that the small bit of grinding is to get the ac compressor to reinstall. Ii love them. So great that they just dent and dont crack. once they get beat up abit, sometimes ill take them off and pound them back flat. iv looked to see if you can buy just the steel bottom to have a spare on hand, but have only found complete units. i did just find one at the pick n pull recently though. I read that these were for the mexican city golf as too many people were cracking oil pans on city streets.
A little tiny corner of the steel pan needs to be trimmed, and the compressor grinding you are talking about is the threaded mounting boss. The backside of that boss corner needs to be ground slightly. Doesn't affect the threads at all.

I also asked a vendor if they could just get the steel portion and they couldn't. I'd bet if you went to the mfg they could sell you one. Someone makes it..

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Hmmm, that is looking better all the time. Apparently the mods are only needed for the ALH engine, not the BEW I have. However, I have ANOTHER problem: the shop here in Prescott refuses to use owner provided parts and I no longer have the time/equipment to do the job myself. What I may have to do is let them put on an inferior cast aluminum pan, then find a different shop that will swap out the steel bottomed pan for it. Heck, I don't know if the shop will even put the old skid plate back on. I'm going to talk to them tomorrow.
I installed it on one of my ALHs and I didn't need to do any mods.

Will the shop allow you to buy the pan through them and pay a small markup? They probably do that for liability purposes.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
IDK pk; the gent I have had doing work to my TDI set requires the bits to be customer provided... :) I doubt they have the same shop insurance provider though...LOL

Douglas

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Quicker for sure...but a good hose with a barb is not w/o its charm... :) to go with the collar... :)

Douglas
When using the Doggie clamp on the intake, I ditch the clip altogether and grind off the barbs on the hose. Doing so will allow you to detach the hose from the plastic pipe and rotate it up and out of the way without removing the Doggie from the intake. Just loosen the Doggie clamp screws about a half to one turn. Speeds things up if you need to pull the top cover off the timing belt.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Finished installing new radiator….now no more leaks…… gonna have to keep my eye open for a new radiator support or a good used one without any snapped bolts…...previous owner butchered old one with multiple snapped bolts and missing bottom of support

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Replaced the bigger cooling fan on the wife's friends 2003 wagon. Somehow the fan blade had worked itself off the motor, then the motor locked up. Super weird.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
2 jobs today...
One job for necessity, as my driver's side mirror assembly simply crumbled and fell apart.
Photo evidence of what happened.

I was fortunate to find a nice colour matching donor car (City Jetta) at my local parts yard.

Here's the finished product on my car...

The second job was something I've looked for, for a while, (but wasn't willing to pay full price) - Weather Tech floor liners.
Seller had them listed for 2001 Beetle, but I know the fit the Jetta and Golfs too. I was able to scoop them up for $45.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2 jobs today...
One job for necessity, as my driver's side mirror assembly simply crumbled and fell apart.
Photo evidence of what happened.

I was fortunate to find a nice colour matching donor car (City Jetta) at my local parts yard.

OMG - the corrosion. I last dealt with that on my 2004 Golf, as it was imported from Quebec. That car had A LOT of rust issues, even though the frame itself was okay.

Then the 2002 Golf I'm working on - it supposedly spend some time in the DC metroplex for a little bit, though it was mostly a Texas car (and there's evidence it came from WA). Rust isn't that bad, but there's some areas that are bad.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Flat tire in Boston traffic with my 90 year old mom in the car. Outside temp 95. I thanked myself for making sure (a) the spare was aired up; (b) all tire change tools are in the car; and (c) that I always check after I've had work done on the car to make sure the lugs weren't put on with an impact wrench.

Got off the highway, 10 min repair with the engine and A/C running for my mom. No problem.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Flat tire in Boston traffic with my 90 year old mom in the car. Outside temp 95. I thanked myself for making sure (a) the spare was aired up; (b) all tire change tools are in the car; and (c) that I always check after I've had work done on the car to make sure the lugs weren't put on with an impact wrench.

Got off the highway, 10 min repair with the engine and A/C running for my mom. No problem.
I carry a tire repair/plug kit for just this reason. Also have a battery operated inflation gun that can charge via a cigarette socket. Obviously wouldn't do good to a sliced tire.

Dang wouldn't want do do that in Boston though. Although I suppose it's probably as bad as I5 out here.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Like my favorite mixed drink of my college years, Adios mother f***er!

No surprise the rear main seal was bad, so that got replaced.

Got the 02J in tonight. Still have a long ways to go on this car, but progress is progress. Tomorrow, I need to reattach the steering rack.
Excuse that errrant wire in the foreground. I need to ziptie it. It's the trigger wire for my BEW lift pump mod (which is also confirmed working). Only electrical I really have left are brake electronics and my amplifier wire, which I have yet to install, after the car is back down on all four tires.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Like my favorite mixed drink of my college years, Adios mother f***er!

No surprise the rear main seal was bad, so that got replaced.

Got the 02J in tonight. Still have a long ways to go on this car, but progress is progress. Tomorrow, I need to reattach the steering rack.
Excuse that errrant wire in the foreground. I need to ziptie it. It's the trigger wire for my BEW lift pump mod (which is also confirmed working). Only electrical I really have left are brake electronics and my amplifier wire, which I have yet to install, after the car is back down on all four tires.

Id be interested in that Valeo starter as a core, if you would be interested in parting with it...

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I installed it on one of my ALHs and I didn't need to do any mods.

Will the shop allow you to buy the pan through them and pay a small markup? They probably do that for liability purposes.
Well they are an authorized VW repair location so they usually refuse to install either user provided or VW parts that are not VW approved for the model VW. I was able to talk them into getting the hybrid pan and installing it saying I accepted there would not be any parts warranty on it. I was able to pick it up yesterday (July 22nd) afternoon.

hans_gruber0

TDI
03' ALH wagon 5 speed
First electrical gremlin on my ~270k jetta has appeared

OBD II port randomly stopped working
No blown fuses in the fuse block
12v on pin 1 and 0.30v on pin 7

No luck with having radio fuse out or disconnecting aftermarket radio from harness

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Had another glow plug go out on the NB. Soaked with with Kroil over night and it came out very easily. Marked difference from the other GP I replaced I think last year (maybe the year before) with the galled threads. Now I know what they SHOULD be like to remove when the GP is seated well and no soot getting up into the threads.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is
Well they are an authorized VW repair location so they usually refuse to install either user provided or VW parts that are not VW approved for the model VW. I was able to talk them into getting the hybrid pan and installing it saying I accepted there would not be any parts warranty on it. I was able to pick it up yesterday (July 22nd) afternoon.
Here is a photo of the damage to the PanzerPlate:

And one of the oil pan:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Id be interested in that Valeo starter as a core, if you would be interested in parting with it...
I'm sure something could be worked out, though I need to figure out how to get it off the 01M. The bolt ends look better than the holes oddly enough. Otherwise, it'll be sold with the transmission for parts.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Here is

Here is a photo of the damage to the PanzerPlate:

And one of the oil pan:
I'm glad it's a small-ish hole. You might be able to pound out that dent on the panzer plate, though you'd probably need a large sledge hammer and something for it to rest the sides on. It sounds crazy and a waste of time, but I've thought of trying to straighten out the panzer plate from my crash last April, but that's bent A LOT worse than yours!

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I pounded the dent out of my steel plate when it took a hit in the exact same spot. Luckily the oil pan was cracked not holed, so I JB welded it. That was 5 years ago, still no leaks.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'm sure something could be worked out, though I need to figure out how to get it off the 01M. The bolt ends look better than the holes oddly enough. Otherwise, it'll be sold with the transmission for parts.
The bolts thread out of the transmission housing. Its kinda a weird thing.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
I pounded the dent out of my steel plate when it took a hit in the exact same spot. Luckily the oil pan was cracked not holed, so I JB welded it. That was 5 years ago, still no leaks.
jb weld is amazing stuff when you properly prep the surface! i've got a few jb weld repairs myself that show no signs of failing :)

one thing i did today was finally get around to duplicating codeblocks on edc15. so can finally have real alternate tunes on all alh ecus :) it's really only a problem with the newer 4-wire ecus. it was such an easy solution, i wish i had gotten around to trying it a long time ago, would have made testing a lot easier...

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
I'm glad it's a small-ish hole. You might be able to pound out that dent on the panzer plate, though you'd probably need a large sledge hammer and something for it to rest the sides on. It sounds crazy and a waste of time, but I've thought of trying to straighten out the panzer plate from my crash last April, but that's bent A LOT worse than yours!
JB weld on that oil pan. I've repaired gouged excavator rods and car transmission mount holes that were stripped out. Good product.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I asked if they had tried at the shop and they said they had but weren't able to budge it. Since I now have a hybrid oil pan, I figure I'll leave it alone. I figure the IF I had been able to get a little more to the left, I might have not ended up busting the pan but with the oncoming SUV I didn't want to move more to the left.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi,

This was technically the other day but I did not have a chance to post until now....

1) Put on Vortex Generators on my car (made separate post for that).

2) Ordered a lightweight Lithium Iron Battery for the car (old battery still good .... only 2 years old ... I may run that in the winters since I think lithium batteries don't like to be charged when super cold ... .i.e winters) ..... Hoping to see what it feels like to shed about 40 lbs ( My stock VW battery on my scale weighed 49 lbs and the new battery will be under 9 lbs!).

In all fairness I am not really netting a super weight loss overall since I ADDED weight when I put on the skid aluminum plate , kerma upgraded IC pipes and the bigger SMIC but it will net some weight loss ....

Hopefully I won't catch on fire !! I should look into my insurance coverage ....

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I went ahead and tested out what I want to do to some bumper inserts for protection for my condenser and SMIC. Decided to do the grille as well. I started out testing everything in black but then thought red might be alright to match my
sport interior which is also red:

Now to find some inserts that aren't beat to crap and transfer the mesh over to those.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What I did - reattached my new steering rack last night after cleaning up my subframe. It was leaking BAD! Never seen one leak like this before, and you could see remnants of PS fluid all along the underside of the car, about the same area as it would've blown from the inner tierod ends while moving.

Also have new FSB bushings installed. Just waiting on wheel bearings/hubs for the VR6 junkyard brake assemblies, then I can start putting the front end back on this car (2002 second Golf).

Last edited: