What did you do to your MKIV today?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Thank you for this information. I've been wanting to get an air hammer... now's the time. Thanks again.
I suggest a rivet gun. Their triggers are built for 'teasing', as in fine control of the power. Go big, 7x or 9x( number of sixteenths of an inch for steel rivet setting ). The big ones are .498 shank, not the .401 that 'consumer grade' hammers run...can't have too much power... LOL Look to used; ebay or used tool dealers. And just for reference the one that goes by 'Big Nasty' is a 4x gun... LOL

Another addition to 'what I did'...discovered my suspension 'clunk' was a rear LCA bolt coming loose, and yesterday I bumped my ALH's timing back up to the upper line. In 'cloud' monitoring it comes a wee bit over every now an' then, so I figure it is *PERFECT. Torque wrench, 13mm socket and a 22mm open end to bump the IP's shaft.
cheers,
Douglas

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
Replaced lower radiator hose for the second time in 1 month. First hose replacement (OReilly) fit supposedly fine going into the clamp holder on the bottom and the u-clip half way up. Some where down the road, the hose came out of the u-clip and was contacting the large fan causing a slice in the hose and obviously fluid loss.

Was able to locate a second hose from Auto Zone. Hose fit was not as good but since I was stuck at a convenience store I managed to get the connections on and fillEd with water (temporary) to make it home.

This time I secured the hose with a zip tie to avoid it making contact with the fan!

Drained and replaced the antifreeze when I got home and am back on the road again!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Finished daughters clutch change on her NB and also replaced her down pipe and cat as the flex pipe was cracked... car is nice and quiet now and shifts beautiful now..... first 17-050 clutch I’ve installed... I was impressed with it .... done several of the G60/vr6 set ups....

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Used my wagon as a truck again.... Debating on just getting a big piece of cardboard to lay over the trunk and seats area, hauled a few batteries and almost my entire tool collection to go fix a 1990 Ford dually that's been sitting since 1998.
Between my Koni active red's and sway bars, I can't tell there's any added weight to my car, even though I loaded probably 500lbs of tools, batteries, and floor jacks/stands in the back.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Like the wheels. What are those? I have something similar from Discount Tire which are no longer made.
I also have the same trunk lid. With updated headlights Jettas look quite modern. Which the Golf/Jetta V mirrors with the turn signals in them were still available…. It looks like yours are folding?

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Like the wheels. What are those? I have something similar from Discount Tire which are no longer made.
I also have the same trunk lid. With updated headlights Jettas look quite modern. Which the Golf/Jetta V mirrors with the turn signals in them were still available…. It looks like yours are folding?
The wheels are the "burnished" version of the BBS RC wheels, just with the center caps removed temporarily. These came on the 2004.5 GLI. There was also a shiny "shot peened" version (VW's labels) that came on the R32.

My sideview mirrors are frankenstein'd together using VW, Audi and Skoda parts. They are auto-folding VW housings (and memory via the memory module in my power-memory seats) with Audi auto-dimming convex glass and Skoda LED puddle lights. The Skoda lights probably could be made to blink, but right now they just power on/off with the rest of the interior lights when locking/unlocking the car.

I got lucky with some of these parts too. More and more MK4 parts are being canceled and marked no longer available by VW. I think I bought the last pair of auto-folding mirror housings from OEMVWShop because they've been out of stock ever since.

If anyone is interested, the auto-folding mirror housing part numbers are listed below, but you need to swap the mirror housings and window motors inside the doors at the same time for this mod to work.

Mirrors:
175mm Mirror Housing Left - 1J1857507G
175mm Mirror Housing Right - 1J1857508N
Stubby Mirror Housing Right -1J1857508G or AM
Window Motor Left - 1C0959801B
Window Motor Right - 1C0959802C
Door Switch - 1J1959565E
Seat Memory Module - 3B1959760E

Puddle Lights:
Puddle Light Left- 3U0945291C
Puddle Light Right- 3U0945292C
Lower Trim Left - 3U0857603C
Lower Trim Right - 3U0857604C

Auto-dimming Glass:
Driver's 175mm Aspherical - 4B0857535E
Driver's 175mm Convex - 4B0857535D
Driver's 175mm Flat - 4B0857535C
Passenger's 175mm Aspherical - 4B0857536G
Passenger's 175mm Convex - 4B0857536F
Passenger's 175mm Flat - 4B0857536E or J with US Text
Passenger's 125mm Aspherical - TBD
Passenger's 125mm Convex - 4B1857536E
Passenger's 125mm Flat - TBD

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
The day before yesterday while coming back from our almost 3 hour drive from the dogs cancer treatment, the poor dog peed on the blanket covering the seat. I never noticed it or smelled it-- till I got in yesterday to just do a little cleaning. I had to rip it out and clean a lot of carpet. But that's okay, I had new speakers to go in, so they had to come out anyways, there's that silver lining!

I have about two and a half speakers working in this car, order these Kickers dsc650 off of amazon. Much louder than the almost completely blown front speaker. I quickly realized that that metal stamped steel bracket is not going to be very good for any sort of speaker, so I read through this forum on fixes but didn't quite find what I was looking for. I came up with this idea to use black expanding foam to seal up all sides of the steel and two reinforce it, I saw expanding foam used for two subwoofers to seal up tight spots against a vehicle before when the entire trunk was used as a box so I said what the hell, let's do it.

I wish I would have had more time to think this over, I don't mind this styrofoam sealing up the forward part bottom and back part, but the top part I wish I would have sealed up those holes at the top to give the speaker a little more air volume. I an feel the steel vibrate, should have just cut some mdf to size and fitted it over the panel.

I don't think this speaker has enough Air volume but it does sound very good, what do you guys think?

Also, I bought that thick foam speaker cup for the front, What does it do? Looks like it waterproofs, but does it reduce the air volume? Better with it without it?

Zoey loves her beetle!

Last edited:

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Well I fiddled around for half the day figuring out proper locations for my SiriusXM and GPS and running the wiring down under the dash so I can plug them in to the “keyed power” 12v cigarette lighter plug which I temporarily wired today, will have to find a proper mounting spot for that plug on Monday. Also swapped out the crappy antique touch screen double din head unit for a JVC single din from of one of my old trucks and put the cubbyhole pocket in the extra space below the head unit.
Oh and also did the “Ventectomy” and golly, I didn’t realize how much more fuel I could be putting in the tank, gauge was at about half and it took 40 litres! (I did fill right up till I could see it in the filler neck, which I haven’t been doing up till now)
All in all it was a pretty productive day.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I've mentioned this before, but one cool thing you can do if you have the appropriate antenna connectors on each device is you can install one of the MK5 antenna bases, which has individual antennas for SiriusXM and GPS, along with AM/FM. It can potentially be much cleaner than if you have a couple aftermarket antennas tucked in at the bottom of your windshield or some other conspicuous place. All the connectors are standards, you just may need to find the appropriate adapters.

This antenna base is what I have on my car: 5N0035501B

Of course, the main challenge is needing to lower your headliner.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I've mentioned this before, but one cool thing you can do if you have the appropriate antenna connectors on each device is you can install one of the MK5 antenna bases, which has individual antennas for SiriusXM and GPS, along with AM/FM. It can potentially be much cleaner than if you have a couple aftermarket antennas tucked in at the bottom of your windshield or some other conspicuous place. All the connectors are standards, you just may need to find the appropriate adapters.

This antenna base is what I have on my car: 5N0035501B

Of course, the main challenge is needing to lower your headliner.
Well now that’s an option I wasn’t aware of, looks neat! I only really have the xm antenna to deal with as my gps doesn’t have a separate one. My dash is getting kinda busy tho and I’m not sure I like it lol. What with SiriusXM, GPS, ScangaugeII and radar detector I’m running out of ideas where to put gauges when I get them, I don’t really want them down by the radio and heater controls because it’s not very convenient to look down there, and steering column pod is out as that is where I have the scangauge

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do today... after bringing home a new trailer (a project to convert it to a 5x10 utility trailer), I swapped cars, loaded up tools, and went to the junkyard in the JSW. Ended up with 2 decent black leather seats, 3 11mm injection pumps, along with ECU and TCM, 2 nice looking door cards from a 2002 TDI wagon, an intact working glove compartment, and other goodies. All came out to just under $450.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
What did I do today... after bringing home a new trailer (a project to convert it to a 5x10 utility trailer), I swapped cars, loaded up tools, and went to the junkyard in the JSW. Ended up with 2 decent black leather seats, 3 11mm injection pumps, along with ECU and TCM, 2 nice looking door cards from a 2002 TDI wagon, an intact working glove compartment, and other goodies. All came out to just under $450.
I wish my junkyards had more TDI goodies. I need a few parts from an 11mm pump so I can convert my 10mm to a backup 11.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
The day before yesterday while coming back from our almost 3 hour drive from the dogs cancer treatment, the poor dog peed on the blanket covering the seat. I never noticed it or smelled it-- till I got in yesterday to just do a little cleaning. I had to rip it out and clean a lot of carpet. But that's okay, I had new speakers to go in, so they had to come out anyways, there's that silver lining!

I have about two and a half speakers working in this car, order these Kickers dsc650 off of amazon. Much louder than the almost completely blown front speaker. I quickly realized that that metal stamped steel bracket is not going to be very good for any sort of speaker, so I read through this forum on fixes but didn't quite find what I was looking for. I came up with this idea to use black expanding foam to seal up all sides of the steel and two reinforce it, I saw expanding foam used for two subwoofers to seal up tight spots against a vehicle before when the entire trunk was used as a box so I said what the hell, let's do it.

I wish I would have had more time to think this over, I don't mind this styrofoam sealing up the forward part bottom and back part, but the top part I wish I would have sealed up those holes at the top to give the speaker a little more air volume. I an feel the steel vibrate, should have just cut some mdf to size and fitted it over the panel.

I don't think this speaker has enough Air volume but it does sound very good, what do you guys think?

Also, I bought that thick foam speaker cup for the front, What does it do? Looks like it waterproofs, but does it reduce the air volume? Better with it without it?

Zoey loves her beetle!
Hope the dog is doing well and gets well soon

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
What did I do today... after bringing home a new trailer (a project to convert it to a 5x10 utility trailer), I swapped cars, loaded up tools, and went to the junkyard in the JSW
Score! I'm going to have to send you my wish list for the next time you go. . . .

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI

Zoey loves her beetle!
If you have the T/S parameters, you can calculate how much air is needed in a sealed box for the drivers. In a car, ”close enough” is a bigger area than in home hi-fi. Just sealing off the out of phase sound from the back of the driver goes a long way. But you can use fiberglass batting to increase the effective air volume in the enclosure.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
If you have the T/S parameters, you can calculate how much air is needed in a sealed box for the drivers. In a car, ”close enough” is a bigger area than in home hi-fi. Just sealing off the out of phase sound from the back of the driver goes a long way. But you can use fiberglass batting to increase the effective air volume in the enclosure.
I was more worried about the space not being big enough. I heard people have good luck with those small foam baffles behind the speaker, but that severely limits the airspace I don't know what it'll do to bass, subwoofers are not likely going to happen in this car

I have the baffles for the front door I might just keep the top 1/3 of it to keep rainwater out of the speaker and cut the bottom open for more air volume in the door

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I wish my junkyards had more TDI goodies. I need a few parts from an 11mm pump so I can convert my 10mm to a backup 11.
They literally got 3 TDIs over the weekend. Haha, Ralph, one of my buddies (and a manager) said "I bet Paul's gonna come in, with 3 TDIs here). And yup, I got all that stuff in under 2 hours. Super happy, because the 2000 Golf will not only have black leather seats throughout, but it'll hopefully smell less like an ashtray now (even after like 4-5 hours on the ozone generator, which helped A LOT).

I still need to go back and raid more parts, but all the important stuff is here now.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I was more worried about the space not being big enough. I heard people have good luck with those small foam baffles behind the speaker, but that severely limits the airspace I don't know what it'll do to bass, subwoofers are not likely going to happen in this car
Too little (as in way too little) sealed air behind a driver will not let it travel the full length of its excursion, limiting bass response. Ideally you want enough damping (from the trapped air) to stop the cone from deforming too much without limiting excursion.

I would do as you have done—sealing the “enclosure”—and call it a day. Skip the foam baffle.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
So I've been thinking about these speaker baffle cups to go behind the speaker to protect them, they just felt so wrong I started searching around the internet and turns out they really do suck, there is a easy way to protect your speakers from water coming down the window, it's called the Tupperware method;

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Installed my new (to me) leather seats and door cars. Now the car smells a lot less like an ashtray! Of course, I'll take them out again when I vacuum/install the seat heater wiring harness, but this works for now.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
You come to North Texas much? If so, want to sell me one of those 11mm pumps? I just ordered a Southbend Stage 2 endurance, so will be able to finally add some more power. The clutch is finally starting to slip after almost 200k miles of 764 nozzles.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Purebred Rottweiler. So not like other Rotti dohss I have seen, I think there is some Lab in the bloodlines.

Doing well, reacted good to the medication.