What did you do to your MKIV today?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
how did you know your cv axle was bad?
Big LOL in this case. I got assistance and towed my car back into the pole barn with a side by side, when I wasn't going anywhere. So this CV previously locked up and I thought I fixed it. When I took it out, all the ball bearings came out. I screwed up the one prior (that I rebuilt for a past car, and that didn't go very well). So in this case, I just installed a used CV from the junkyard. Need to pick up some more, because my next big project, after the Ute, will be converting mom's 2005 BEW wagon to a 02J.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Malone Stage 1 on my Beetle. Really livened it up. Much better cruising at the freeway speeds here. I'd say it's now as strong as my Jetta was. Still need to run logs to see why it was low on power before, but now it's liveable.
Have you checked timing? Engine, basic settings, 000, TDI timing, and then choose your engine from the list. I'm finding I get the best fuel economy slightly advanced. Before, it was slightly retarded, and there was practically no smoke, but it was a bit lethargic and fuel economy kinda sucked.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Took a ride to NW CT and Western MA this morning. Chilly, single digits until late AM. Took this photo at a service area on the Mass Pike.

Think they're using enough salt?

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Have you checked timing? Engine, basic settings, 000, TDI timing, and then choose your engine from the list. I'm finding I get the best fuel economy slightly advanced. Before, it was slightly retarded, and there was practically no smoke, but it was a bit lethargic and fuel economy kinda sucked.
Yes, I checked it about a month ago. It was between the middle and lower marks in VCDS. I adjusted it as close as possible to the middle mark (gave up a little above the middle mark). MPG before was 51.5 MPG, afterwards 49.5 but a little peppier. Still not like my old Jetta. Higher RPMs are affected. Not as much oomph as lower RPM either (not real happy in the 1500-1800 RPM range even with a light throttle). Much nicer after the stage 1 install.

I think my intake manifold is restricted - at least I'm hoping. That or the MAF is bad. Will run logs soon.

Last edited:

Amel

TDI
Golf IV 74kW
Hey guys, since I've been reading on this forum for a long time but never registered here is my small contribution ic you have smelly AC:
https://flic.kr/p/2kxJCHL Remove blower
https://flic.kr/p/2kxJ4Uy On the left side you will see what you will need to clean
First cleaned it with compressed air then used steam cleaner
https://flic.kr/p/2kxJEiz Then used compressed desinfectant and showered the area and left for couple day to fully dry
https://flic.kr/p/2kxEnAq In the end it looked like this
https://flic.kr/p/2kxJ4jf

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What did I do today (or yesterday rather)?
@alphaseinor , featured in the photos, helped me cut off the roof on my Jetta, and we went through all the parts in my Ute crate. I guess except for the VIN, it won't be a Jetta anymore, since it has Golf vents and a Golf front end. I HATE HATE HATE the mk4 Jetta front end. Add about 3 more "HATES" to the Mk5 front end!

Don't mind my messy driveway.

Then, I swapped driver's side door lock control modules between the BEW and ALH Golf, and I'll do the same on the passenger side tonight, after I get home from the junkyard, pulling parts for a 02J swap on my mom's BEW wagon.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
What did I do today (or yesterday rather)?
@alphaseinor , featured in the photos, helped me cut off the roof on my Jetta, and we went through all the parts in my Ute crate. I guess except for the VIN, it won't be a Jetta anymore, since it has Golf vents and a Golf front end. I HATE HATE HATE the mk4 Jetta front end. Add about 3 more "HATES" to the Mk5 front end!

Don't mind my messy driveway.

Then, I swapped driver's side door lock control modules between the BEW and ALH Golf, and I'll do the same on the passenger side tonight, after I get home from the junkyard, pulling parts for a 02J swap on my mom's BEW wagon.
Do you have a build thread? I've wanted to do a ute for a long time now...

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I installed a brushed aluminum driver’s side door pull. As I was removing the decaying soft-touch from the black plastic, with isopropyl alcohol and scrub sponge, the faded clear coat over the brushed aluminum started pealing off. After picking and pealing clear coat under hot water for an hour, I was left with raw aluminum. I brushed up the raw aluminum with steel wool to remove surface scratches and then cleaned it up with Mother’s Aluminum polish and blue shop towels. The end result is a shiny-brushed aluminum. It looks nice and the cold metal feels good, every time I shut the door.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Do you have a build thread? I've wanted to do a ute for a long time now...
I don't, and I'm honestly not that great at documenting things step-by-step. @alphaseinor is better at build threads than I (given he pioneered the 5 speed swap for the Mk4, and has that documented in several places).

And for another update - what did I do today? Replaced a failed camshaft position sensor and MAF in mom's BEW. I like Beru's description on the box.I don't have it in front of me, but it was something like "sensor for revolutions of the engine" or something. Still gotta clear codes and do the test drive, and then I picked up some interior trim parts, so I can make more progress getting my 2004 Golf back together. Just need to get the ALH muffler welded back onto the downpipe, and then it gets listed for sale.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Think they're using enough salt?
HOLY CRAP! That's all salt Peter? Had you not mentioned it, I would've thought it was ice. Honestly, the first time I really experienced long term (over 50 miles) road salt was the snowstorm we had here in Central Texas a little over two weeks ago. Apparently, it was a record snowfall since like 1982, and yet we only got 8-9 inches.

I installed a brushed aluminum driver’s side door pull. As I was removing the decaying soft-touch from the black plastic, with isopropyl alcohol and scrub sponge, the faded clear coat over the brushed aluminum started pealing off. After picking and pealing clear coat under hot water for an hour, I was left with raw aluminum. I brushed up the raw aluminum with steel wool to remove surface scratches and then cleaned it up with Mother’s Aluminum polish and blue shop towels. The end result is a shiny-brushed aluminum. It looks nice and the cold metal feels good, every time I shut the door.
Pictures?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Yes, I checked it about a month ago. It was between the middle and lower marks in VCDS. I adjusted it as close as possible to the middle mark (gave up a little above the middle mark). MPG before was 51.5 MPG, afterwards 49.5 but a little peppier. Still not like my old Jetta. Higher RPMs are affected. Not as much oomph as lower RPM either (not real happy in the 1500-1800 RPM range even with a light throttle). Much nicer after the stage 1 install.

I think my intake manifold is restricted - at least I'm hoping. That or the MAF is bad. Will run logs soon.
Just my 2 cents - I'd probably get it slightly above the middle. I'm sure you obviously figured out that you hardly have to move the IP nut with your 22mm wrench to get the desired effects.

Yeah, cleaning the intake will definitely be a b***h with all the EGR BS you still have on there. I suppose if you want to save some money, I'd soak it in a tub with a large concentration of simple green and use a brush with metal bristles to clean the inside, and then finish the job with some brake cleaner. Of course, the California brake cleaner is pretty weak (which is why a lot of my friends have me bring them a couple of cases of the 48 state non-chlorinated brake cleaner whenever I visit CA).

Ironically, I did this job recently, but the finished intake manifold ended up on the BEW I'm fixing to sell (because I had misplaced my BEW intake at the time). Lastly, if you've never removed your intake before, and just my two cents, I'd get 6 new ball cap screws for your intake manifold. I find that they tend to strip easily (and I'm not really a fan of hex head bolts, anyways). I believe the torque spec is 18 ft pounds when reinstalling.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
After being stuck in house for a couple of days, the light turned green and the car next to me became a distant blur as I pulled away. I had almost forgotten how much fun properly tuned TDI's can be to drive. Thanks to VWMikel and Franko6 once again.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Lastly, if you've never removed your intake before, and just my two cents, I'd get 6 new ball cap screws for your intake manifold. I find that they tend to strip easily (and I'm not really a fan of hex head bolts, anyways). I believe the torque spec is 18 ft pounds when reinstalling.
Yeah, I kept going back and forth from below middle to above middle. Finally got it a little bit above middle after the 12th time and then said 'good enough!'

My 03' jetta, I bought a cleaned intake off this forum and swapped it right out. I still have the old one off the Jetta so I'll clean that to do the swap. Thanks for the info on using Simple Green, and using ball end drivers. I think that's what I used before.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Don’t mind if I do!

Warning: collecting brushed aluminum MK4 trim is extremely addictive. Once you start, you’ll be chasing that dragon till the kit is complete. Deleting soft-touch is also addictive which results in satin-black plastic.

Man, that looks really nice!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Beautiful! Do you really have 4Motion on that car, or you just used that shifter boot?
And is there a website where I can buy brushed stainless to replace that crappy soft touch for my door handles in particular? Or dare I ask how much it costs? It seems a lot of companies were obsessed with soft touch for a while (IBM ThinkPads from the 90s and early 2000s come to mind), which has now deteriorated.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Don’t mind if I do!

Warning: collecting brushed aluminum MK4 trim is extremely addictive. Once you start, you’ll be chasing that dragon till the kit is complete. Deleting soft-touch is also addictive which results in satin-black plastic.

Looks REAL nice, and you're right it becomes addictive. I was collecting broken sets of all those shiny bits and have a few spares/odds and ends.

Do I still see black plastic door lock pins? And a wood trim lock piece for the grab handle?
I have a pair of the silver door lock pins, but just a pair if you want them. PM me an address and I'll send them your way.
Sorry, I can't help with the grab handle locking piece.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been searching the local pick-n-pull yards for two years and finally found a near-complete set in a GLI. At the yard, the trim items are very affordable. However, the grab handle was mangled from a previous person's failed attempt at removing the item, so I had to buy the grab handle elsewhere. Ebay is another location to find VW MK4 Aluminum Trim, but the prices can be rather high. Also, oneloveautogroup sells a lot of rare, used mk4 items.

VW still has some items new, in their inventory, like the brushed door levers. The levers themselves are swappable with the chrome levers. You have to remove the door panel, but they just pop out if you open them all the way, you can see the slotted attachment from the back. I purchased two sets of front levers, since they were a lot cheaper (no tweeter speaker) and swapped the levers out. I really like the brushed door levers; they look nicer and don't show fingerprints the way the chrome levers do.

I have the brushed door pins. They were a nice little upgrade over the black plastic. I had to figure out a way to attach them, because when screwed down, they were lower than the plastic pins and sat below the surface. Now that I have them at the right height, they're nice.

I do not have a 4motion TDI...I wish! No, it was just a New-Old-Stock item that CascadeGerman carried for a bit, until they were all sold. The 4motion shift knob and blue leather boot are VW OEM with part numbers, made in Germany. The boot is real, thick, leather, you can tell from the inside that it's not laminated. It was part of their Colour Concept, along with the yellow-stitched leather N.O.S. steering wheel. I wanted new real-leather touch points when I purchased my old vehicle. I also installed a new perforated leather GLI e-brake lever, from ECS. Those are gone, too.

As for the wood grab handle insert, I just liked the way that it snapped in place and was a thicker diameter than the black plastic insert. I have two black plastic inserts that I can easily swap in, I just wanted to try the wood one for a while.

Speaking of wood trim, I have a near complete set of wood trim, also from the Pick-n-Pull. Interior upgrades are a fun way to enhance the perception of quality.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
....I HATE HATE HATE the mk4 Jetta front end. Add about 3 more "HATES" to the Mk5 front end!
I used to very much dislike the MK4 Jetta front end, until I purchased my wagon. I think the Jetta front end looks great on the wagon! The headlights and hood bulge make it slightly aggressive looking.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I've been searching the local pick-n-pull yards for two years and finally found a near-complete set in a GLI. At the yard, the trim items are very affordable. However, the grab handle was mangled from a previous person's failed attempt at removing the item, so I had to buy the grab handle elsewhere. Ebay is another location to find VW MK4 Aluminum Trim, but the prices can be rather high. Also, oneloveautogroup sells a lot of rare, used mk4 items.
What would we do without junkyards? I've been pulling parts to refurb both Golfs (including the one that gets sold). Haven't seen a lot for trim, but stupid me once missed out grabbing the elusive Climatronic in a mk4 wagon. I've never had a desire for any fully electronic climate control, but I know others do.

So the brushed stainless stuff are primarily from GLIs?

I do not have a 4motion TDI...I wish! No, it was just a New-Old-Stock item that CascadeGerman carried for a bit, until they were all sold. The 4motion shift knob and blue leather boot are VW OEM with part numbers, made in Germany. The boot is real, thick, leather, you can tell from the inside that it's not laminated. It was part of their Colour Concept, along with the yellow-stitched leather N.O.S. steering wheel. I wanted new real-leather touch points when I purchased my old vehicle. I also installed a new perforated leather GLI e-brake lever, from ECS. Those are gone, too.
I wished I grabbed more of those. Picked up a green stitched steering wheel for steering wheel controls (that might go into the Ute), and 2 red sticked regular Mk4 steering wheels. Also got my shifter boots for the mk6 and mk4 from @BleachedBora , but I actually picked up his blue stitched new beetle boots and glued them onto my mk4 bezel.
As for the wood grab handle insert, I just liked the way that it snapped in place and was a thicker diameter than the black plastic insert. I have two black plastic inserts that I can easily swap in, I just wanted to try the wood one for a while.

Speaking of wood trim, I have a near complete set of wood trim, also from the Pick-n-Pull. Interior upgrades are a fun way to enhance the perception of quality.
Totally agree 100%.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I used to very much dislike the MK4 Jetta front end, until I purchased my wagon. I think the Jetta front end looks great on the wagon! The headlights and hood bulge make it slightly aggressive looking.
I can kinda see that, but... I changed mom's car to the Golf front end, and damn does it look good! Like it was meant for the car. I mean, in Europe, that's technically true.