What did you do to your MKIV today?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Reinstalled passenger window after falling off track.
Finally was able to open my back passenger door , it’s been stuck closed for two years......followed all YouTube videos and articles that I could find........none of them worked. Ended up pulling door hinges on body of car and door literally fell off......I’m very happy. Replaced lock and all is well ?.
Installed new radio antenna base.....
It’s been a busy day !

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
Motivated by the MK4 wagon detail vid I posted, I bought the cheapest clay bars on Amazon and some Turtle wax hybrid ceramic coatings and went to town. The paint is cleaner than it's ever been and water beads more aggressively than any wax I've used in the past. I'm hoping that I can just blast dirt/salt off with a pressure washer down to a clean surface without significant washing/reapplication for several months.

The problem with super clean paint is that every scratch/dent now stands out a lot more from the background. Now I'm considering some clear coat correction for the MK4 wagon.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Rotated tires and cleaned and lubricated the front caliper guide pins on IBW. I was hearing a clunk sound on the first light brake application of the day, usually backing out of the garage. Guide pins were very dry.

Shameless plug: Fremax rotors and IDParts Ceramic pads after 5+ years and about 120K miles. And by the way, those Koni Reds have also been in the car for 5 years.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I worked on finishing up my ALH build. I repaired the bolt holes on that pesky belt end engine mount. A trick I learned that works pretty good is to use time-serts. You can get them in the 12mm 1.5 thread and at a couple bucks a piece, it's very inexpensive, while being much stronger than a heli-coil. I'll try a photo again. But I also got the turbo and intake manifold mounted and started installing the Kerma TDI silicone hoses. Now I'm just waiting on my South bend clutch then I'll be ready to install it and get to driving my golf!

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I worked on finishing up my ALH build. I repaired the bolt holes on that pesky belt end engine mount. A trick I learned that works pretty good is to use time-serts. You can get them in the 12mm 1.5 thread and at a couple bucks a piece, it's very inexpensive, while being much stronger than a heli-coil. I'll try a photo again. But I also got the turbo and intake manifold mounted and started installing the Kerma TDI silicone hoses. Now I'm just waiting on my South bend clutch then I'll be ready to install it and get to driving my golf!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Its looking good Moz.....

Mozambiquer

TDI
That looks really pretty, nice work! I hope you used high temp paint on that vac pump, those things get HOT!
Yes, I used high temp ceramic paint for everything that I painted.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Motivated by the MK4 wagon detail vid I posted, I bought the cheapest clay bars on Amazon and some Turtle wax hybrid ceramic coatings and went to town. The paint is cleaner than it's ever been and water beads more aggressively than any wax I've used in the past. I'm hoping that I can just blast dirt/salt off with a pressure washer down to a clean surface without significant washing/reapplication for several months.

The problem with super clean paint is that every scratch/dent now stands out a lot more from the background. Now I'm considering some clear coat correction for the MK4 wagon.
just detailed my golf but i had to wetsand the top and hood with 3k then two stages of polishing compound... those dents, dings, chips, and scratches sure a shiny now though :)

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Looks great Moz, may I suggest that you get the vibration dampeners back on the hard fuel lines, that bright spot on
1 & 2, and a dampener on the 3& 4 line similar position. A catch can will help keep your turbo cleaner. Love the red detail on the injector hold downs.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Let's see: in the high heat of the summer, my headliner finally decide to sag - 19 years old, pretty good I must say. Used the spray I had sitting around, problem solved. Also changed fuel filter and air filter. Happy car.
Ordered up Koni FSDs and they are here now in a box waiting for my GTD1752vrk to get here from Poland. :)

(Love the new look of the site!)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
A pair of front wheel bearings...This is the 4th or 5th time I've had to do this job. It's not particularly bad and I have all the tools to do it on the car, I just don't like doing it.

One side was different than the other - Can't get under the left one with a puller so had to grind the race until it split to get it off.

I modified that race so I'll always be able to get a puller under it when I have to do this again in 50k miles (ugh)

Much nicer driving a quite(er) car - it sounded/felt like I was driving on tractor tires.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Looks great Moz, may I suggest that you get the vibration dampeners back on the hard fuel lines, that bright spot on
1 & 2, and a dampener on the 3& 4 line similar position. A catch can will help keep your turbo cleaner. Love the red detail on the injector hold downs.
Thanks! I've got one of the vibration dampeners, I just haven't tightened the lines down yet, so I haven't installed it. I'll have to find one more, since one was missing..I think I may have one back in the parts stash though. I'll have to think about that catch can, I've considered it, but didn't really know what all the benefits are.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
By the way, don't try running without the vibration dampers on your injector lines. Had someone try that once. Needless to say it lasted about a day before the line snapped at the pump. Good times. Cause the entire engine bay was just hosed in diesel.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
By the way, don't try running without the vibration dampers on your injector lines. Had someone try that once. Needless to say it lasted about a day before the line snapped at the pump. Good times. Cause the entire engine bay was just hosed in diesel.
+1, this holds true for most diesel injector lines. They're under incredible pressure and can crack if not supported/dampened correctly. Injector#4 line clamp on my Cummins was notorious for backing off... When it did, the line would crack and you have a BIG problem. Knock on wood it's something I check whenever I pop the hood and hasn't happened to me

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
Washed it, swapped key fob housings, activated the unlock honk AND all unlock upon key removal. Not to shabby for about 20 min of work. About 12 days ago I swapped in all my woodgrain into my new TurDI and fixed some of the front end. Still need to replace the hood latch and grille but it'll get there eventually.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Yeah, I've had that happen too, plus seen it way too many times! It happened on my rabbit pickup, and my idi Jetta. The Jetta was because someone had removed the dampeners, the pickup was because the bolt on the end of the injection pump had backed out. They happened within two weeks of each other.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Replaced all of the bent valves after stripping about a dozen teeth off at 65mph. Sputtered like it was running out of fuel for a couple seconds then engine instantly stopped. I guess I should not trust anyone when they tell me the belt was just replaced.

Bought it off shop foreman from my last job. I is a hoarder or used parts so probably mixed up good used with new, or simple was thinking of another car.

So $199 later for timing belt set and cylinder head R&R set it is back on the road. FYI - its a 1.8T. I'm still looking for a good TDI, but more than a little strapped $$$ to make deal work.

Jason

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Let's see: in the high heat of the summer, my headliner finally decide to sag - 19 years old, pretty good I must say. Used the spray I had sitting around, problem solved. Also changed fuel filter and air filter. Happy car.
Ordered up Koni FSDs and they are here now in a box waiting for my GTD1752vrk to get here from Poland. :)

(Love the new look of the site!)
Do please write up all you did to make this work. Stuff like air cleaner to turbo inlet comes to mind...:) Been contemplating The Big Little Turbo since I learned of it...just not needing it on a relatively lo-mile MK4 has allowed me to postpone...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Do please write up all you did to make this work. Stuff like air cleaner to turbo inlet comes to mind...:) Been contemplating The Big Little Turbo since I learned of it...just not needing it on a relatively lo-mile MK4 has allowed me to postpone...:)
cheers,
Douglas
Car goes into the shop a week from Friday. I'm asking the mechanic to do that work...

moparvwfrak

TDI
new control arms. what a PITA. but doable. Wish I could have found my 30mm 12pt socket. I would have loved to swap ball joints as well. Oh well thats for another day I guess. I also yanked my shredded fender liners. yay..... Now to look at the rear brakes, and swap my hood latch. yay......

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
new control arms. what a PITA. but doable. Wish I could have found my 30mm 12pt socket. I would have loved to swap ball joints as well. Oh well thats for another day I guess. I also yanked my shredded fender liners. yay..... Now to look at the rear brakes, and swap my hood latch. yay......
Yeah they definitely can be a PITA. The last swap I did I purchased the control arms with pre pressed in TT bushings. Compared to the previous iteration where I installed poly control arm bushings (and regretted it) I thought the install was cake! Way more flexibility with those TT bushings in there.
Good to see another Wet Sider, I do a lot of dirt biking out your way.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Had a new windshield put in yesterday afternoon (the car's 4th), due to a dime-sized stone chip/break I picked up on the highway the morning before. Went with the Sekurit again, as I have in the past.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
All of the following just went onto my 03 Wagon:

Bilstein B6 shocks and struts + new front springs + all mounting hardware replaced
New steering rack including complete tie rods
Repainted control arm, sway bar and subframe with new bushings pressed in (TT rear)
New Ball joints
New front and rear brake rotors and pads, new front dust shields

moparvwfrak

TDI
Yeah they definitely can be a PITA. The last swap I did I purchased the control arms with pre pressed in TT bushings. Compared to the previous iteration where I installed poly control arm bushings (and regretted it) I thought the install was cake! Way more flexibility with those TT bushings in there.
Good to see another Wet Sider, I do a lot of dirt biking out your way.
Yeah the pass side was no fun. driver's was quick. Never been called a wet sider, kinda like it.

As for today, swapped my dome light assembly, no change. Won't come on with the doors. You would figure at least ONE door would turn it on. Doesn't come on like my 99s do with the alarm either. Maybe I'll see if it's a setting error tomorrow if it's dead at work. Yeah right...... Oh and I found out I get to change the timing belt that was done less than 40k ago. It's missing at least ONE of the belt rollers and being chewed by the boss for said roller. Yay!!!!!!. FML....

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Yeah the pass side was no fun. driver's was quick. Never been called a wet sider, kinda like it.
Ha yeah, I think it's pretty fitting for us.

I got everything removed and out of the way to drop the transmission out for my clutch R&R. Still need to disconnect the exhaust. Hasn't been too hard yet, but I'll have to eat my wheaties Saturday morning so I can perform my best bench press.

I've been taking photos along the way to remind myself of what goes where and what to do in case I forget. I may do an "updated" tech write-up on this. I see a lot of old write ups that have great instructions, but the pic links are broken or don't exist anymore.