What did you do to your MKIV today?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I ran over a mattress a week and a half ago in my '04 Golf. Got enough money to buy some upgrades for my ALH (like a VNT17). Also discovered I have a blown exhaust manifold gasket in the Golf, so I took off the turbo and studs today, to replace with new studs, gasket and nuts tomorrow, assuming everything arrives on time.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
With these seals missing, did you have a problem with water entering the cabin? I might be missing one of these on one of my Golfs.
I've had a chronic problem with water getting into the passenger side of this car. The passenger outside mirror attachment was broken, the cabin filter cover was missing a piece, causing water to wick onto the filter and make its way inside, the big roof gasket was worn. I was hoping the roof gasket would solve it, and it appeared to, but it only rained one day after getting the car back last week. So I can't say for certain that it will be the roof gasket or the door weatherstripping that solves the problem if it is, in fact, solved.

Fact is, I've owned this car for 5 years and between repairs and delays, only put about 5K miles on it. And a lot of that was by a co-worker. So no I'll get to find out. When not in use the car's always been inside.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This isn't a "what did you do" post, but what I thought was an interesting anecdote: I was at my guru's yesterday and another customer was there. He has a Jetta Sedan with nearly 400K on it that's been in his family since new. Unfortunately his son just totaled it. He's looking for a clean shell so he can rebuild the drivetrain and drop it in. He currently drives an NMS Passat, but wants the MKIV back.

I asked what he thought was the attraction of this particular TDI, and he said the doesn't know anyone who's sold a MKIV car and not regretted it. I've had the same experience. A co-worker has an '03 Jetta that came from a local customer. He now drives a Q5 TDI but still misses his MKIV enough that he occasionally stops by to visit it. Not kidding. And as people here know I have an array of diesels I can drive, including a MK7 and a BMW 335d. But it's my MKIV Wagon I drive most.

Just something to muse on while you're all driving your MKIVs this May Day.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
This isn't a "what did you do" post, but what I thought was an interesting anecdote: I was at my guru's yesterday and another customer was there. He has a Jetta Sedan with nearly 400K on it that's been in his family since new. Unfortunately his son just totaled it. He's looking for a clean shell so he can rebuild the drivetrain and drop it in. He currently drives an NMS Passat, but wants the MKIV back.
I asked what he thought was the attraction of this particular TDI, and he said the doesn't know anyone who's sold a MKIV car and not regretted it. I've had the same experience. A co-worker has an '03 Jetta that came from a local customer. He now drives a Q5 TDI but still misses his MKIV enough that he occasionally stops by to visit it. Not kidding. And as people here know I have an array of diesels I can drive, including a MK7 and a BMW 335d. But it's my MKIV Wagon I drive most.
I originally planned to replace my 04 Jetta with the 13 NMS Passat that I bought new, but even though I did a bunch to customize it, it had no soul. Too americanized - almost too "normal"? When the scandal hit, I sold it back and started driving the 04 again until a diff rivet blew the trans apart. Been driving the 03 wagon the last year or so. Bone stock... 04 is back together but can't register the 04 with DMV closed and I want to try out that new LSD :) If you looked at my order history you'd see how much MKIV stuff I do! ;)

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW

I too once had an mkIV (gasser) which I had gotten free after I fixed it. Loved the car but wife really pushed me to trade it in on a 2014 Jetta. When looking for a car for my son, we found my current 06 Golf and it was a diesel, I jumped on it immediately. I can’t stand driving the others now. My sone has a 30th GLI that’s tunned and I’d still rather drive my TDI!

06 Golf 5MT, BEW, Kerma tune, Catectomy, Bypass oil filter system

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI

I originally planned to replace my 04 Jetta with the 13 NMS Passat that I bought new, but even though I did a bunch to customize it, it had no soul. Too americanized - almost too "normal"? When the scandal hit, I sold it back and started driving the 04 again until a diff rivet blew the trans apart. Been driving the 03 wagon the last year or so. Bone stock... 04 is back together but can't register the 04 with DMV closed and I want to try out that new LSD :) If you looked at my order history you'd see how much MKIV stuff I do! ;)
No surprise to find a lot of the same opinion here :). I bought a new 13 NMS Passat TDI, owned it for 2500 miles and sold it 4 months later, still driving my Jetta with over 300k miles on it. It just "fits" well, does everything I want it to do - The only thing that I -think- I'd rather have is a new Tesla Model S, but the almost $100k price tag makes me appreciate my TDI even more. I need to show it some love after I get my latest project car done as it's been rather neglected for the last few years. If it were wrecked, I'd be looking for a clean used MkIV and probably do a common rail swap just to live up to my username :)

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The only thing that I -think- I'd rather have is a new Tesla Model S, but the almost $100k price tag makes me appreciate my TDI even more.
The dealbreaker for me on a Tesla (model 3 makes more sense) is their control over the car and what you do to it. Nearly impossible to buy parts to work on it yourself, unless they are used. Now they've started to remotely disable the supercharging capability on cars that were in an accident years ago and repaired. There are a few places specializing in repairing them under the radar - mostly with salvage car parts.

There is charging capability in my parking lot at work, and supercharger station less then 4 miles from my house - but since I can do 750 miles on a tank in the wagon, I don't see any reason to go electric.

My thoughts on a MKIV projects - an ARL / 4motion swap from Korwerks. Or maybe a built BEW/DSG beetle...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Stuck in a Melett GT1749VB and darkside SMIC/piping into my 2003 ALH. Never knew an ALH had so much pep with a stock tune; it was so lethargic before and felt closer to my mother's 3 cylinder Kohler-powered UTV (only like a 25HP diesel).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
When an ALH is running right it's not a dog in stock form. My son's Golf is bone stock and I'm always surprised at how well it drives. And I've been driving my '99.5 Golf lately which is stock with RC3 only and it's plenty quick. Pulls fine even with the taller 5th gear.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Same here - I was honestly shocked once I got my new (to me) 2003 up and running with its 5sp. transplant how much pep it had; sure, the power really peters out once you get much past 3500rpm, but for banging around town....I'm loving it!

Bone stock, with the exception of putting injectors from a 5MT alongside the (former) 01M's 11mm injection pump. Maybe those add more pop than I was expecting, but either way, I'm very pleased with it.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I had a '00 2-door Golf. Sold it. Don't really regret it, but every time I get close to it, I have to apologize to it. The current owner just isn't so careful and he's holed both bumper covers and added some dents.

I'd offer to sell him a set of alloy wheels (I have too many to keep all of them) but he'd just curb them to death.

Next week sometime I'm going to help him change the timing belt. It is time. I owe him as he helped me a couple of days on my Jettachero back in October. I will take the time to apologize again. Sigh...

Cheers,

PH

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Replaced my daughters Rh rear caliper, and carrier as they were frozen, found them when I replaced her ABS pump and it wouldn’t bleed....also put new disk and pads......suckers slicker than snot on a door knob.......

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Replaced the front pads with another set of OEM VW/Pagid pads, and plugged a hole in the right rear that had caught (and lost) a nail right in a stud hole.

It's time to remove the winter tires, but I think I'm going to drive them for another week just to make sure that the plug is holding, or dispose of the tire before counting on it next winter.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Changed the manual transmission oil for the first time, 344k km on it. It was a red ish brown and smelled horrible. [emoji2961]

Used synchromesh 3501, shifts noticeable smoother, hardest part was getting the fill plug to budge (which I did first[emoji6]). Had to build a 17mm tool out of a bolt and two nuts. Wheel bolt trick didn't work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Drove my wagon to Kelso and back to buy a geo tracker for another project, averaged 44mpg with both my scangauge 2 and my FIS, so that was awesome :)

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Wagon: Replaced the right rear caliper (parking brake mechanism sticky) and caliper carrier (lower slide pin seized).

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Replaced my old headlight protection film, out with the old, in with the new, very satisfying! Excuse the cloud reflection on the headlight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Today I installed a catch can in the Jetta. I originally planned to mount it to the oil filter housing, but that didn't work out. So I hung it on the battery box.

The battery cover wouldn't fit over it without modification. Next time I'm under the hood, I'll probably do that. Because the missing battery cover kinda bugs me. I'm funny like that.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Chased a boost leak, thought I had a hole in the intercooler from the duct rubbing....after removing the intercooler, found it was not open yet. Found that the charge pipe at the turbo was extremely loose. Made a temporary fix to tighten the seals(that were replaced last month). Shaved the duct work a little to smooth it out and give some clearance to the intercooler as I put everything together again.

Cleared codes and looks like it’s good to go while I find a replacement end for the hose.

Anyone know what the stock hose diameter is at the turbo?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Refer to post #5134 on this page http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=452221&page=343

It isn't the cat. :(

So let's see: if the intake manifold was clogged, then I'd get instant boost pressure, which I don't. The actuator works, holds vacuum. Ditto the vacuum line to the actuator. All there is left is the N75 itself, and the turbocharger itself - clogged turbine section, or slow N75? I do have a good N75 with which to compare, so I need not try the N18-N75 swap. It does not appear or sound like the EGR anything is leaking or cracked anywhere, either. Oh, and the MAP sensor is different since the intercooler problem. But I still have the old one.

Oh, the fun. I've an Audi timing belt on the schedule first though, so the drama will be extended.

Cheers!

PH

Last edited:

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Not the N75, not the MAP sensor, not the MAF sensor. I'm pretty much down to a clogged turbine section of the turbocharger.

Sigh...

Cheers,

PH

Check all your charge hose connections, I have been chasing a MAS airflow code. I finally found the problem yesterday when I was looking for a boost leak, thought it was the intercooler like you had but it turned out to be ok for now

However I did find the charge hose coming off the turbo was extremely loose even though I just changed the seal on it. Tried a temporary fix to tighten it which did fine for a little while, but code came back again today.

I did notice that the hose was lose on a second turbo I have sitting around so I think the hose hose adapter is just worn out and has too much play to remain sealed.

I will have to replace the intercooler before too long though!

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Refer to post #5134 on this page http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=452221&page=343

It isn't the cat. :(

So let's see: if the intake manifold was clogged, then I'd get instant boost pressure, which I don't. The actuator works, holds vacuum. Ditto the vacuum line to the actuator. All there is left is the N75 itself, and the turbocharger itself - clogged turbine section, or slow N75? I do have a good N75 with which to compare, so I need not try the N18-N75 swap. It does not appear or sound like the EGR anything is leaking or cracked anywhere, either. Oh, and the MAP sensor is different since the intercooler problem. But I still have the old one.

Oh, the fun. I've an Audi timing belt on the schedule first though, so the drama will be extended.

Cheers!

PH
I had 2 03 ALH wagons with overboosting at the same time. On my coworkers (225k mi)- it appears to be his intake. I did a quick clean from the EGR end with a screwdriver and a shop vac and it made an immediate improvement. Clogged enough to limit large amount of flow, not enough to be a problem in normal driving. At some point I'll do a full cleaning and additional testing (he does have an aftermarket cat/downpipe).

On mine (307k at the time) - the VNT internals were just worn out. The N75 test passed, actuator start/stop was good - MAF was replaced (it was bad and causing constant low power). I pulled the intake after seeing what it did for my coworker and it wasn't too dirty. But - that's when I was able to feel the VNT better. There was a good amount of movement before it actually did anything internal. I swapped in a good used turbo that another coworker gave me along with a new OE actuator (he replaced it but it only needed an actuator) and I've put thousands of miles without a hiccup

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Drove my Golf to the western part of the state early this AM, mostly for a change of scenery for my morning walk. And because I wanted to drive somewhere. MA is still shut down so it was odd. Here's the Golf lat a Massachusetts Turnpike Service area.

Rest rooms, fuel, and the convenience store were open, but that was it.

And here's what the road looked like on the way home mid-morning:

Two things are notable in this photo. (a) no traffic at all; and (b) yes, it's snowing on May 9.

Golf runs excellent, by the way.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Filled up the '03 Jetta last Monday with fuel, 2nd fillup with no 5th gear. Pretty happy to see the mpg at 44.2, previous one was 44.1. This is with my son driving it, as his '05 Duramax is still at the shop for the head gasket repair:mad:-his original quote of $4500 went out the door when 4 injectors broke trying to remove them and the glow plugs were trouble coming out of head. New total is $9500 including tax:mad::mad::mad:....

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
On Friday, I installed the final two interior trim pieces that finally arrived - the front passenger floor vent and the rear upper headliner trim piece. The interior is now complete.
Saturday, I changed the starter in the 2004 "parts car" that is now a daily driver. Car starts like it should now instead of a very week crank that resulted in taking way too long to start.

Last edited:

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
I did the power steering delete mod the other day. I ignored the pissing steering rack and kept driving the car. Easiest mod I ever did.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Replaced my 19 year old OEM parking brake cables with the new H.D. OEM cables. Easy job but one caliper was lightly freezing before retracting fully. I PB blastered the crap out of it and worked it around. It seems much better.

How long til i need to readjust the cables due to breaking in/stretching?

Also, went to the junkyard for a new center console piece. Ended up getting my center console piece, a leather wrapped parking brake handle(both I'll replace when I adjust the cables in afew months) and found a 6speed beetle! Sporting complete GLI pedals. I paid $28 for entry fee and all interior parts. With the pedals, that is a steal!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Replaced my 19 year old OEM parking brake cables with the new H.D. OEM cables. Easy job but one caliper was lightly freezing before retracting fully. I PB blastered the crap out of it and worked it around. It seems much better.

How long til i need to readjust the cables due to breaking in/stretching?

Also, went to the junkyard for a new center console piece. Ended up getting my center console piece, a leather wrapped parking brake handle(both I'll replace when I adjust the cables in afew months) and found a 6speed beetle! Sporting complete GLI pedals. I paid $28 for entry fee and all interior parts. With the pedals, that is a steal!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
I didn't have to adjust mine after the initial install and that was 5+ years ago
plus a new set of rear calipers/pads in the middle.