What did you do to your MK7 today?

15GSWTDI

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SE DSG
Endured the blizzard of 04/01/2023 in MN.
Of course being a service manager, I'm captain of the plow team :/, had to get there around 6, to start clearing out.
This stuff was heavy, wet, and dangerous. But my GSW made it 20 miles to my dealer lot, where I had to get a bobcat to clear the 8" of snow in the entrance. So, I made the drive 98% of the way, with the Continental EC tire. Definitely makes me think twice of purchasing some BC Coilovers..... ugh
I've only had the car, less than a month. So no snow tires yet, but that excites me.
Lighting package is a blessing too, and threw some HEADLIGHT ARMOR "GT Yellow" fog light vinyl overlays.
Protection/and hi-vis in snow.
We did good....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Dirty? Seeing as how western MA still has snow on the ground, that car is damn near spotless.
Dirty is all comparative.

It is dirty for a car that doesn't get driven ;)

It takes about 5 miles before road dust settles on the rear hatch of our Alltrack, rain this past saturday still isn't enough to wash the roads clean.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I intend to drive it more this year. We'll see how that goes.

I will report that I drove it today on the new tires, and I like them a lot. I think the Defenders it had on it previously are pretty hard, because the switch to Nokians along with the taller profile makes the ride much more compliant on small road imperfections. And they appear to be balanced perfectly. I was constantly trying to smooth out flat spots on the Michelins (back to that not driven thing. :)).

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Been about a blizzard a week out here in southwest Minnesota too, in between the snow gets blown back across the road so we've had maybe a day or two a week of good driving. A week ago I topped off the TDI with a couple gallons and filled the 6 gallon can with diesel for the tractor. TDI sat in the garage for the last week while my little Deere tractor was out every day moving snow, yesterday I filled up again and while the TDI took not even 2 gallons the tractor's 6 gallon can was empty again!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I intend to drive it more this year. We'll see how that goes.

I will report that I drove it today on the new tires, and I like them a lot. I think the Defenders it had on it previously are pretty hard, because the switch to Nokians along with the taller profile makes the ride much more compliant on small road imperfections. And they appear to be balanced perfectly. I was constantly trying to smooth out flat spots on the Michelins (back to that not driven thing. :)).
Yeah we've enjoyed them, not the longest lasting tires but a pretty darn good bang for your buck especially when cross shopping it with something i'd rather have if i were to upgrade over them.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Replaced the battery in the hatchback. The one that was in there was 60AH the new one is 72AH...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Ended up getting some new 16" General Altimax RT45's for the wagon. The 15" older Ecopia tires had plenty of tread, but were loud ( thought a wheel bearing was going bad)... seems the new CPS has solved the hiccup/stalling issue. Over 1k miles since it was installed....

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
Dirty is all comparative.

It takes about 5 miles before road dust settles on the rear hatch of our Alltrack, rain this past saturday still isn't enough to wash the roads clean.
Love that 15-30 minutes after washing when the hatch is still clean!

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
You guys aren't running those ghastly rear wipers are you? And if you are (shudders) I assume you're also running low profile headrests... otherwise what can you see out back anyway? 😆

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ready for the garage!!!

I spent about 20 min spraying my wheel well liners getting the weekend sand/mud off before swapping over to summer set up. At the in laws in western Maine, they are still full blown mud season with 2ft of snow melting on the driveway creating a nice mud soup that was brought back over state lines.

I also gave it a 15 min hand wash, I counted +15 different paint blemishes (not counting scratches), got a new one over the weekend when driving over a branch kicked back up and into the left rear door and put a good scratch in it. For a 6 year old car, shes far from nice these days.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
It's new seat day!
(Actually - they have about 30K km on them, compared to the 120K or so on the outgoing seat).
Definitely a more "cozy" feel to them - side bolstering at thighs and lumbar is very supportive; folks who run wider through the hips and thighs might find them a little constraining; but at 5'11", 175lb. - I love the feel).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's new seat day!
(Actually - they have about 30K km on them, compared to the 120K or so on the outgoing seat).
Definitely a more "cozy" feel to them - side bolstering at thighs and lumbar is very supportive; folks who run wider through the hips and thighs might find them a little constraining; but at 5'11", 175lb. - I love the feel).

Those look great. They're power, though, right? If so they wouldn't work in my S.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yes, they're power. But from what @Cuzoe has determined, wiring them up for power and heat isn't impossible.

Note that in the above image, the stock passenger seat is still in the car; I included that to show the subtle difference between them (more creases and lesser bolstering in the stock Highline/SEL seat).

BTW, if anyone's interested in a set of Highline / SEL seats.... :)

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
If you put these in an S, and want heat, you'll need to upgrade your BCM. The mid-line BCM in the S doesn't have the power pins for seat heating. I haven't looked at closely at the power movement wiring but I would not guess it comes from the BCM.

As far as physically bolting in... anything from any Mk7 Golf or variant will fit. So will the seats from the A3/S3 of the same era, even the RS3 (imported)... see here, drool.

There were plug/wiring changes between the 7 and 7.5. Nothing I would consider a huge deal but worth noting if you don't want to do any wiring.

I have reason to believe MK8 seats will also fit. If I can find a set for a decent price they will end up in my car, heated and cooled. The cooling function requires a facelift BCM, not just a highline. For other reasons I already have the facelift BCM taken care of 😁.

At that point my imported GTD seats will be up for sale. They'll plug right into a Golf S. In fact, you'll have an unused wire because the GTD seats, like GTI plaids, have no power functions, not even recline.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Actuator adjustment due to boost spikes, noticeable difference afterwards. New rear brakes kinda smellt funny on my last data logging lap. They are brembo non vented paint coated rotors and akebono pads, figured after 2,000 miles or so they would be broken in...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actuator adjustment due to boost spikes, noticeable difference afterwards. New rear brakes kinda smellt funny on my last data logging lap. They are brembo non vented paint coated rotors and akebono pads, figured after 2,000 miles or so they would be broken in...
Is it stock turbo or you playing around that caused the actuator to become wonky?

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Is it stock turbo or you playing around that caused the actuator to become wonky?
Stock turbo, but was having boost spikes even on stock file. Actuator would bottom out at 16inHg now more like 17.5-18 after adjustment.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Not a "real" check engine light, software incompatibility with our ECU and the digital dash... Waiting on @Nuje to try the 8+ hour update to the dash software to see if it's resolved 🤷🏿‍♂️.