What did you do to your MK7 today?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Found me a 2015 Golf SW SEL, TDI, CRUA. Has 120k miles with full records of all service at VW dealership. I paid through the nose, but the car is beautiful. I drove it home to Detroit from Eastern PA, what an upgrade from my MK4 and MK5. Now researching the timing belt replacement and trying to figure out what all those buttons on the SW are, lol
Nice! Enjoy the ride! 6MT or DSG?
Once you've figured out all the buttons, be sure to check out all of the upgrades you can do to your car. (see signature....and/or look at @Cuzoe's history :D ).

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 6spd conversion. 2001 Jetta, Alh, wife's car.
Nice! Enjoy the ride! 6MT or DSG?
Once you've figured out all the buttons, be sure to check out all of the upgrades you can do to your car. (see signature....and/or look at @Cuzoe's history :D ).
6MT, I'm interested in some type of stage 1 tune or something that will get the car back to pre-emission recalibration.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
@tbailey4 The pre-emissions tune won't get you much really. But you can get a Stage 1 tune, that is emissions compliant from Kerma. Gets you about 50HP and about 100 ft-lbs of torque (I assume at the crank) which is, of course, extremely noticeable. Speaking from experience, car will pass emissions test in CA with the tune. There are no hardware changes.

If you are deleting things your tuning options are increased. I'm in CA so deletes are out of the question for me. I'm not even sure I would delete if I wasn't in CA but that's a moot point. So my recommendation is based on having only considered and used Kerma because their tune is intended to be used with stock emissions equipment. I don't intend to suggest I am recommending them over other options. I don't have experience with anything else but I have been completely satisfied.

I don't know what part of the extended warranty your car still has, but if it has some you should understand any tune puts that in jeopardy. Yes, they technically have to prove the tune caused whatever failure you had but that's really an easy argument to make, and undoubtedly won't be worth your time/money to refute.

It's trivial for them to know you tuned even if you flash back to stock (total flash count won't match their records). If you care about warranty, wait until it's up before tuning.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
I drove our Golf and noticed that the drivers side mirrror was a bit shaky, when I checked it it was just hanging on from one dab of glue or whatever that black stuff was. I pried the mirror off the backing plate and to my surprice the mirror is double sided!
VW uses the same mirror glass for both sides of the car, I guess the bean counters are involved in decisions like that. Kinda cool in a nerdy way :)
I put the mirror glass back with double sided tape, not sure how much that will affect the heating of it.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine are still holding together, but I know at least three other cars who live near me that've had a mirror just drop off while driving.
Nice that they're double-sided; would be better if the sticky stuff worked better.

(In replacing the mirrors for those people, I've just used some Goop adhesive around the edge so that it wouldn't impede the heating element...and hopefully seal out moisture from getting behind and prying it loose again.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Got some new Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 no-seasons on all four corners.

Replaced worn out AS3s and happy so far.
I just did the same after wearing through the stock tires and finally reaching the wear bar on my snow tires which took almost 3 years after the snow tread was gone. I'm very happy with them so far.

Covid and work from home has really reduced my annual miles so I'm only running all seasons for the foreseeable future. Other than quick trips while my wife is at work, the TDI only gets out for road trips and visits across state to see family.

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
I just did the same after wearing through the stock tires and finally reaching the wear bar on my snow tires which took almost 3 years after the snow tread was gone. I'm very happy with them so far.

Covid and work from home has really reduced my annual miles so I'm only running all seasons for the foreseeable future. Other than quick trips while my wife is at work, the TDI only gets out for road trips and visits across state to see family.
I'll never need snow tires in Atlanta!

AS work great because it can be 35 F in the morning and 75 F in the afternoon. Plus, we get tons of rain with occasional snow/sleet/ice.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm transitioning to all weather tires on my TDIs. Michelin Cross Climates on my Wagon, and just yesterday I put Nokian WR G4s on the Golf. Haven't even driven on those yet. We don't get enough snow here near the coast in MA to justify snows, but all seasons don't really cut it when we do get a storm. I've been really happy with the Cross Climates so far.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
This didn't really happen today, but over quite a while. External soundaktor (AGA as VAG calls it) is now working. This unit will eventually be mounted beneath the car, but for now the module and the speaker are in the back footwell. Currently running module firmware from one of the Audi's with the supercharged 3.5L V6. But I also have firmware from the Mk7 GTD (with Site and Sound pack) that will be more appropriate.

My module was picked up on eBay. Same module is used in every car with this system. My external speaker came out of a Mercedes S550, but the same speaker is used in every car with the system (VW, Audi, Maserati, Mercedes, BMW, several others). So that amazing engine sound you hear from some of those cars... could very well be coming from this system. Sometimes these units are installed directly connected to the exhaust pipes but over time that introduces heat (and potentially ash) into the system, so I went with one that is not connected to the exhaust.

And for now the unit is playing right into my fully sound deadened rear carpet/floorboards but expect it will be louder and sound better bouncing off the ground under the car once I get it permanently installed.
Should sound something like this...

My awful video is awful, but you can get the idea... sound profile changes with driving modes.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B3XrJ9nw6uiKVrry7

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Finally got tired of reaching inside to unlatch the driver rear door. Started out only not unlatching occasionally, but has transpired into almost every time needing to unlatch from inside to open the door. Went to appointment at dealer yesterday to get looked at, and I might as well use my Allstate warranty($100 deductible). Turns out latch was bad, and they even had one in stock. They replaced that,then some cap, and did a tsb to prevent water infiltration to the latch. Some reason there was $73 labor the warranty wouldn't cover, so my total cost was around $187, which is way better than the $612 total it would've been if I didn't have warranty. Also switched to Blizzak snows last week. Not liking the mpg hit so far. The General Altimax RT43's were great 2 years ago when I got them, but less than 2 years and only 40k miles they are at wear bars. Probably get a new set of all seasons and take snows off. Looking at tires on sale, some Goodyear Assurance Weatheready, General Altimax 365AW, or RT45's....

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This didn't really happen today, but over quite a while. External soundaktor (AGA as VAG calls it) is now working. This unit will eventually be mounted beneath the car, but for now the module and the speaker are in the back footwell. Currently running module firmware from one of the Audi's with the supercharged 3.5L V6. But I also have firmware from the Mk7 GTD (with Site and Sound pack) that will be more appropriate.

My module was picked up on eBay. Same module is used in every car with this system. My external speaker came out of a Mercedes S550, but the same speaker is used in every car with the system (VW, Audi, Maserati, Mercedes, BMW, several others). So that amazing engine sound you hear from some of those cars... could very well be coming from this system. Sometimes these units are installed directly connected to the exhaust pipes but over time that introduces heat (and potentially ash) into the system, so I went with one that is not connected to the exhaust.

And for now the unit is playing right into my fully sound deadened rear carpet/floorboards but expect it will be louder and sound better bouncing off the ground under the car once I get it permanently installed.

My awful video is awful, but you can get the idea... sound profile changes with driving modes.
I'm a lot more into the "quiet and comfortable" car demographic at this point, but damn....did I just spend 15minutes looking for parts on ebay...?

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Currently debating on wether or not a charge air pipe will be an improvement for my vehicle. Stock.
38mm -> 63mm as stated by Darkside

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Does that even work with the EA288 and the Air to Water IC?

you're lighter wallet will make the car seem faster,

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Does that even work with the EA288 and the Air to Water IC?

you're lighter wallet will make the car seem faster,
Seems like it would decrease boost response from low end but possibly make up for it at higher rpm being a larger diameter pipe. Not really my expertise, I have heard about the turbo damper as well. Curious on that one

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Replaced both front wheel bearings, couldn't feel any play in them but left front started to make that bearing going bad noise. AFAIR these were the original bearings, they made it to 200k km :)

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.

Aliens.jpg

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think it was just a lighthearted jab- my guess is 1854sailor isn't a big fan of faux sound effects. I'm in that camp myself, though it's sort of a necessity for safety reasons on these new electric cars.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Oh no offense taken, haha. Don't tell anyone I have the internal soundaktor as well 😂. Truth is I don't want to hear any engine/exhaust noise, real or fake at least 98% of the time. But that other 2%... the fake noise, only when I want it, let's me feel like I'm hooning it through the canyons when I'm really never getting above ~60.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Paid the car off. Installed junk yard MIB2 due to an MIB1 flickering screen. Loving better backup cam images, Apple CarPlay, voice texting, and Waze for navigation. Not even in a hurry to get component protection removed, but I will eventually.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Audio will probably stop working after a few power-ups.
The entertainment audio never did work since the change. I'm well past a few power-ups and, happily, I'm still able to voice text. Hope it stays that way.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Might be flushing the heater matrix out soon, noticing the dreaded coolant burping issue. Will also be going to G12evo coolant from now on

alao...
Anyone know the size of the front sway bar bushing? Mine are squeaking in the cold again. Lithium grease didn't last more than a year. I'll take a guess that the 24mm size is for GTIs so we have a smaller size. 21.7mm?

Last edited: