What did you do to your MK7 today?

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
I grabbed an Everstart H6 AGM from Walmart @ $169 and installed it with my fresh Aliexpress cloth cover. Coded her in with OBD11 and thats about it for today. I might be installing a trailer harness soon, which will be a chore.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Got a link for that battery cover? I asked at the dealer and when even the parts guy laughs at how expensive it is (over $100CAD)....you take a pass on that.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I get into more detail in my facelift BCM retrofit thread... but retrofitted facelift BCM PN 5Q0 937 084 CG (software version 5Q0 937 084 DD) into my the TDi. Had a few easy things to fix that I messed up when transferring pre-facelift coding/adaptations to facelift adaptations (only, no coding).

I set a light function for the right rear blinker to "always 100%" instead of "not active."
I set wiper fluid level sensor to "installed" instead of "not installed," hmm, simple retrofit (along with brake pad wear sensor).
I set ENG153700-ENG154803-Steering Column Switch-Verbauort_Lenkstockschalter to LIN, instead of CAN
- This caused steering column stalks to not work, along with wiper fault in vehicle status page/dash

Anyway, facelift BCM is installed, and fault code free!!! My original (retrofitted higline) BCM wasn't even fault free. That was something I screwed up, of course, haha. I've got 30 color ambient coded. Lights are not installed but AID/Infotainment color is working. Color by driving profile is working, but I need to get the button on screen to set color to coupled/not-coupled to driving profiles.

Pictures of color settings, and my tail light screw up. Phone washed out the color selections but colors in the middle get very blue, then through the purples to yellow, orange, red (the picture looks light blue, white, gray-ish). These pics were before I fixed my adaptation mistakes.

https://flic.kr/p/2nna9jw https://flic.kr/p/2nna9i9 https://flic.kr/p/2nnfpZd https://flic.kr/p/2nna9jr https://flic.kr/p/2nnfpXV https://www.flickr.com/photos/139585038@N05/52092660698

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
On Sunday I did the front pads and rotors. Thursday decided to do the rears again, pads and rotors, still had 1/2 pads but the rotors were rusty and scored. All guide pins still moving freely and all boots good. This morning it passed the state inspection, then filled tank up at Speedway instead of going to reservation. 1 line below 1/2 tank was $53 ($6.199) Redid wheel lug torque, as they removed wheels for inspection and don't think they used torque wrench....

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Spent the long weekend replacing shocks, struts, springs, brake pads, and rotors all the way around. At almost 140k miles it was time for a little suspension refresh, not to mention a broken driver's side rear spring needed attention. I replaced the stock suspension with Koni Reds. Brake pads and rotors were original and there was almost nothing left of the rear pads.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Spent the long weekend replacing shocks, struts, springs, brake pads, and rotors all the way around. At almost 140k miles it was time for a little suspension refresh, not to mention a broken driver's side rear spring needed attention. I replaced the stock suspension with Koni Reds. Brake pads and rotors were original and there was almost nothing left of the rear pads.
What springs did you go with? How do you like the Koni Special Actives so far (I know its early days)?

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I got the spring and shock set from IDParts that came with Lesjofors springs. So far I am really enjoying the Special Actives. Its hard to remember how the car felt with a new suspension but it doesn't have the harshness it used to over bumps and feels more stable when cruising.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I got the spring and shock set from IDParts that came with Lesjofors springs. So far I am really enjoying the Special Actives. Its hard to remember how the car felt with a new suspension but it doesn't have the harshness it used to over bumps and feels more stable when cruising.
Is the ride height about the same as OE with the Lesjofors? I assume they are no longer made in Europe, but hopefully the quality is as good as it used to be.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Is the ride height about the same as OE with the Lesjofors? I assume they are no longer made in Europe, but hopefully the quality is as good as it used to be.
It looked higher right after installation but after settling the ride height seems to be about the same.

CWyatt

TDI
A4 Jetta
The timing belt and water pump were done by a local vw independent shop at about 118k miles. Zero issues since the service was done.
Man, when you find the right shop, it's really a great thing. I've heard some horror stories from others so I'm glad yours is apparently pretty good.

shortydog

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2005 MK4 Jetta TDI
Man, when you find the right shop, it's really a great thing. I've heard some horror stories from others so I'm glad yours is apparently pretty good.
You are correct, part of me was uneasy when I dropped off the car at the shop. Now I'm confident in going back for any other issues or maintenance.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Replaced the fog lights LED bulbs I'd put in there when I got the car. I run the fogs as DRLs (adds more "balance" to the DRL look than just the singular "U" on each side). They were getting noticeably bluer (or maybe I just hadn't noticed how "blue" the white light was before(?)).

Either way, I put in some "switchback" LED bulbs.
Turn them on and they're 6000K white.
Turn off and on within 5sec and they're "4300K" (both white and amber elements on the LEDs light up).
Turn off and on again within 5sec and they're 3000K (amber-only LED).

No fans - just a big ol' aluminum heat sink, so hopefully they last.
(Interestingly, no mention of CANBUS compatibility in the product description, but thus far (a few hours of driving), no error lights complaining of "bulb out".)

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I never understood why vendors even put CAN bus compatible on LEDs. It's not like these LEDs were replacing "CAN bus compatible" non-LED bulbs 😂. If by CAN bus compatible they are just trying to say that these light bulbs, which are not connected to your CAN bus, won't somehow destroy the CAN bus in your car then...

I'm going to start selling CAN bus compatible brake pad wear sensors and windshield wiper fluid level sensors 😬. The reporting of faults between modules is over CAN sure, which has nothing to do with the sensors. But I don't want you thinking about that at any point until after your payment has processed.

Bulb errors, like the two sensors that I'm going to start selling, are based on resistance changes. Lights that have a dedicated output from the BCM can be monitored for failure through resistance changes. You can also change the expected bulb type of a given output. That can change the expected resistance values but also the output power and type (for example using PWM to dim an LED instead of lowering voltage, which would cause flicker).

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Replaced lift pump, and resolved some minor hesitation every cold start at the beginning of the drive. Too soon to tell if also resolved some random long crank when cold.

There is also hesitation when Regen, hoping to get rid of that too.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Had my free tire rotation done. Watched them crank them down with air gun then torque wrench it, which immediately clicks :rolleyes: .... gotta get my torque wrench back from son so I can torque properly and re-inflate tires to 48psi....

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
48psi?! Yowsa!
Isn't the ride a bit harsh at that pressure? Plus, that's pretty close to the 51psi "max inflation pressure" on most of the tires I've had on my cars. Surely you're getting well over 51psi once they heat up (my TPMS shows that I get to 41psi from 36psi cold, even though we've yet to have a day that breaks 70°F here).

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
48psi?! Yowsa!
Isn't the ride a bit harsh at that pressure? Plus, that's pretty close to the 51psi "max inflation pressure" on most of the tires I've had on my cars. Surely you're getting well over 51psi once they heat up (my TPMS shows that I get to 41psi from 36psi cold, even though we've yet to have a day that breaks 70°F here).
Actually, the ride isn't bad at all. I usually run a little higher pressure in the warmer months, then in winter with all seasons I do 40-42psi. Snow tires I run 34psi...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I decided to go for oil change today rather than wait another 2 weeks for my scheduled appointment. I showed the advisor the screen shots I took of the VCDS codes that were thrown back in February where I had that random stalling issue. They used the 5w-30 oil at this dealer. Said they checked for the codes. None were stored??? Said if the CEL comes on again for it to bring it in, thinks it might be injector. Just over $107 for the oil change. The way it broke down was around $23 for labor, $58 for oil, $15 filter, $4 for plug, and tax for NYS. Looked at their new inventory- Atlases, Tiguans, Taos, and 1 Arteon. They had a nice '19 GLI 6spd, but it has electronic parking brake-uggghhh. I saw Carfax, they've had it for 3 months, and they did front and rear pads and rotors- was kinda tempting, but looking forward to the GSW being paid off by end of year :)

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I don't know how you do it at that PSI. My wife's Tesla was delivered at their recommended 45 psi and I thought the ride was awful. Costco always fills to 38-40 doing tire rotations... not a fan.

I run 34 year round, and I'm on 17" wheels, and DCC because Comfort++ mode, haha. Also, electronic parking brake is my next retrofit 😬.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't know how you do it at that PSI. My wife's Tesla was delivered at their recommended 45 psi and I thought the ride was awful. Costco always fills to 38-40 doing tire rotations... not a fan.

I run 34 year round, and I'm on 17" wheels, and DCC because Comfort++ mode, haha. Also, electronic parking brake is my next retrofit 😬.
How does your wife like her Tesla? They are fairly heavy cars- but 45 psi does seem somewhat excessive. Trying to squeeze out a bit more efficiency I suppose.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
She loves it. I just knew I wouldn't but I love it too. Heavy sure but effortlessly, and instantly fast. For the canyons it's more fun to drive my slow car fast, to say nothing of all the suspension work I've done. But going to 7/11 and wanna have some 0-45 mph fun, take the Tesla because it doesn't need to warm up. No maintenance to worry about really. Tires at normal intervals, brakes will last at least 100K. Outside of parking I probably use the brake pedal once every other drive.

All the tech things are really nice. Any newer car I buy (meaning built in the future, so not counting any older/classic cars I might want) will have most of these features, or will be a Tesla I guess. Everything controllable from an app, phone as a key, use of built in camera as a dash cam.

The center screen to control everything works great. I think the key is high resolution, great sensitivity, and fast software which it has. They're always playing with the UI, and sometimes put out an update that's the right direction but too early. Then later updates re-add/implement things that were previously available.

Good thing is updates are constant and easy, press update in the car or on your phone and come back to a completed update.

I must have some form of highway capable driving aid. Autopilot or better basically, but doesn't need to be "self driving" or surface street usable. New VW's with Travel Assist would meet my "requirements," haha.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Nice. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Model 3 last year when I thought I might be able to get one in the $35k neighborhood. Looks like that ship has sailed for now. Crazy how the used ones a couple years old are going for as much as the new ones. Hopefully once the Austin and Berlin factories hit their stride prices will come down. Of course inflation is hitting everything.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Yup... Our 2019 was totaled, insurance paid out more than we paid for their car by over $15k due to generally high used car prices and used Tesla prices being even higher because delivery times were 6-8 months out.

We ordered the replacement and waited it out. I drove our Corolla for 6 months. We pocketed about 12k and "upgraded" from RWD Long Range (which was the perfect spec to me, but no longer made) to AWD Long Range. And my wife got the 19's she wanted :cautious:.

Our 2022 is a refresh card course so after a wireless charging, blacked out chrome (which we had done on the old one), revised center console which is much nicer, and matrix LED headlights (these aren't active in the US yet but it's nice to already have them whenever that happens, they are now standard across model 3's globally but when we ordered our car there was still a chance you could get the old reflectors).