What did you do to your MK7 today?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
So, apart from saving ~40lbs of dead weight (which, on our 3400lb car is barely 1%), does the lithium battery provide any additional upside over standard lead-acid? Besides weight, I always thought the biggest upside of Li-ion was its ability to withstand multiple hundreds of deep discharges and re-charges, which is not the standard use case in a ICE car. (?)

And given what happens to the battery capacity of our A3 e-tron in -10°C the past week or so...gotta think that the lead-acid concoction would handle the coldest colds better than this?
Because #racecar I would claim that the removal of weight, in this location specifically, will vastly improve turn-in and overall steering response. This will increase the confidence I have when swerving around other drivers to secure premium parking at Home Depot.

In the real world, no tangible difference I suspect. It will look cool, and make removal of battery/tray for random shifter cable adjustment easier. Cranking amperage is more stable as voltage drops... before falling off a cliff at ~8 volts. I don't have to deal with the cold here in LA. Would have changed my decision probably.

blarg

TDI
Jetta TDI, 2009, Blue, 160k
Picked up our new-to-us ‘15 SW with 97k mi yesterday. Two things I have to do ASAP:

* Heater core flush (and make sure the bead pack is gone if it has one in thereservoir)

* Fix the electric seat back tilt on the passenger side. I don’t know if it’s disconnected, a fuse is blown, or I’m in for a mess.

Anyone have any recommendations, suggestions, or dopeslaps?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Because #racecar I would claim that the removal of weight, in this location specifically, will vastly improve turn-in and overall steering response. This will increase the confidence I have when swerving around other drivers to secure premium parking at Home Depot.
Haha! :D

...make removal of battery/tray for random shifter cable adjustment easier.
Looking at the install photos at the vendor website, I certainly do see the attraction of opening up some wrangle-room in that area. Not $600 worth for me, but if it was maybe 50% more than lead-acid, instead of 300%, I'd certainly give that a look.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I can say with ~98% certainty that it's not worth it, haha.

Braille does claim it will last three to five times as long as an AGM battery. If we're at least three times the lifespan then I guess that would make it worth it.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Took advantage of the break in the weather (stopped sleeting around noon, and temperature crept up to a whopping 3°C) to install the skid plate.

Parts:
Skid plate: 3Q0825902B
Passenger-side bracket: 5Q0825922A
Driver-side bracket: 5Q0825921
M8x1 x 25mm bolts: N0195307

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Love it on our alltrack, saved me the price of installing another aftermarket part. Was kind of shocked the cost of it and that it came from the factory with it.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Every time I've looked on ebay - even the .co.uk and .de iterations - I only ever see brand new, at similar prices (if not more) to what I paid for mine from the dealer.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Had the 80k service done and was told I had a leaky water pump, and even though I only have partial phase 2 done, my car isn't in system to get the full done according to service advisor....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Same here, "partial" phase 2B has only been completed on the Passat sitting at 78K.

If it ain't broke they won't do phase 2A.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Same here, "partial" phase 2B has only been completed on the Passat sitting at 78K.

If it ain't broke they won't do phase 2A.
They are required to install a new DPF, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and SCR Converter before 150k if you had an automatic with less than 40k or a manual with less than 70k at time of the Phase 2 update-if you had less than the 40k or 70k, you only got the second NOx sensor and software...

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...before 150k if you had an automatic with less than 40k or a manual with less than 70k at time of the Phase 2 update-if you had less than the 40k or 70k, you only got the second NOx...
I'm guessing you typo'd, and one of those "less than"s was supposed to be a "more than" (?).

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm guessing you typo'd, and one of those "less than"s was supposed to be a "more than" (?).
Nope. If you had more than 40k or 70k at the time of phase 2, you'd get the loaner and you'd get the all new parts. Under those mileages you only got the secondary NOx and software change, no new parts. You are entitled to the new parts before 150k, but what confuses me in that warranty booklet it says I'd need it replaced(DPF) a 2nd time before reaching 150k. I'm not thrilled with VW of Orchard Park on the water pump situation. I've got 4 other VW dealers around me, so deciding what to do. I don't know if I call VWoA if they'd make me take it back to Orchard Park if they cover it.

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
My local VW dealer and VWoA would not cover a leaking water pump for me. I had planned on doing my own timing belts, just not at 40,048 miles.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They are required to install a new DPF, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and SCR Converter before 150k if you had an automatic with less than 40k or a manual with less than 70k at time of the Phase 2 update-if you had less than the 40k or 70k, you only got the second NOx sensor and software...
If there are no CEL of DPF lights on the dash, they are required to do nothing beyond installing the second O2 sensor. Multiple dealers have said the exact same thing, no open campaigns/recalls for the VIN.

VW won't fix what's broken, now they will fix all emissions system with new components up until what 168K?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
If there are no CEL of DPF lights on the dash, they are required to do nothing beyond installing the second O2 sensor. Multiple dealers have said the exact same thing, no open campaigns/recalls for the VIN...
This does not jive with the Emissions Disclosure linked on vwdieselinfo.com. There it states the following

The second part of the emissions modification will involve outfitting your car with new emission control parts to ensure system reliability and durability over time. If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle. As part of the Phase 2 modification, we will also install a second NOx sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the OBD system. The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine sound, performance, or drivability.

You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is available for your vehicle. You should expect to receive this notice before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time, before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement.

To me that says...
Vehicles over the mileage thresholds (40k DSG, 70k 6MT) will get "Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter" which they expect to last through 150k, and they will also install a second NOx sensor and corresponding software.

Inferring (risky, I know) from the second paragraph...
Vehicles under the mileage thresholds (40k DSG, 70k 6MT) would get the same, but will need the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time before 150,000. That says to me the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst must have a typical lifespan of around 45k on DSG's and 75k on 6MT's.

Of course, a 45k lifespan on DSG's would mean a third change before 150k. It would be close on a 6MT if you got Phase II early but probably fine if you got it after 50k-ish. I suspect they would only do the third change if OBD reported failures call for it, but covered under the extended warranty (as opposed to covered under the recall).

Or are you strictly referring to vehicles that already have Phase II and show no open recalls? In which case VW has no obligation to do anything unless their is a fail indication.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This does not jive with the Emissions Disclosure linked on vwdieselinfo.com. There it states the following

The second part of the emissions modification will involve outfitting your car with new emission control parts to ensure system reliability and durability over time. If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle. As part of the Phase 2 modification, we will also install a second NOx sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the OBD system. The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine sound, performance, or drivability.

You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is available for your vehicle. You should expect to receive this notice before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time, before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement.

To me that says...
Vehicles over the mileage thresholds (40k DSG, 70k 6MT) will get "Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter" which they expect to last through 150k, and they will also install a second NOx sensor and corresponding software.

Inferring (risky, I know) from the second paragraph...
Vehicles under the mileage thresholds (40k DSG, 70k 6MT) would get the same, but will need the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time before 150,000. That says to me the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst must have a typical lifespan of around 45k on DSG's and 75k on 6MT's.

Of course, a 45k lifespan on DSG's would mean a third change before 150k. It would be close on a 6MT if you got Phase II early but probably fine if you got it after 50k-ish. I suspect they would only do the third change if OBD reported failures call for it, but covered under the extended warranty (as opposed to covered under the recall).

Or are you strictly referring to vehicles that already have Phase II and show no open recalls? In which case VW has no obligation to do anything unless their is a fail indication.
This is for the '15's only. So they have to replace mine before 150k no matter what, as I haven't had the complete phase 2 done, only partial.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
This is for the '15's only. So they have to replace mine before 150k no matter what, as I haven't had the complete phase 2 done, only partial.
Yes I assumed 15's only... thinking of NAR Mk7 Golfs/GSWs.

Does your VIN show anything outstanding? My car, new old stock bought in 2017, has an open recall for Phase II. It doesn't specify partial/full, just Phase II. The dealer asks me if I want to schedule it all the time. I'm almost at 60k, 6MT.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Phase 2 is done when NOx sensor is installed. VWoA can install the NOx sensor or they can install full emissions replacement, VW is going to just install the NOx sensor if they can.

If you were under 40K/70K and hand phase 2 done, you only got a NOx sensor, that's it. if you then try any go back for full emissions replacement with no CEL once past 40/70, they will say nothings broken and say bring it back when its broken, it'll be covered.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My car, new old stock bought in 2017, has an open recall for Phase II. It doesn't specify partial/full, just Phase II. The dealer asks me if I want to schedule it all the time. I'm almost at 60k, 6MT.
Funny, I'm in the same situation and my dealer has never contacted me about Phase II. Fine by me, I have no plans to have it done.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Phase 2 is done when NOx sensor is installed. VWoA can install the NOx sensor or they can install full emissions replacement, VW is going to just install the NOx sensor if they can.

If you were under 40K/70K and hand phase 2 done, you only got a NOx sensor, that's it. if you then try any go back for full emissions replacement with no CEL once past 40/70, they will say nothings broken and say bring it back when its broken, it'll be covered.
Is this published somewhere else by VW? Because it's not at all what the document on vwdieselinfo.com says...

To me it's clearly written that a car (like mine or @IndigoBlueWagon's) with Phase I only gets additional NOx sensor and full emissions equipment (Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter ) replacement if Phase II is performed after 40k/70k.

But for cars that got Phase II under 40k/70k, you are saying that VW will not (or at least try to not) honor the following lines...
"If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time, before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement."

I can understand if VW pushed back against the replacement of non-broken Diesel Particulate Filter and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter because those, for whatever reason, aren't mentioned as needing to be replaced before 150,000. But the Diesel Oxidtaion Catalyst is explicitly mentioned. How would they (the dealer, or VWoA) argue against "will need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time, before it reaches 150,000 miles," if a customer pushed them? There's nothing ambiguous about the published guidance.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What I did today: Wasn't happy with the subtlety of the blind spot monitor amber warning indicator that appears in the mirror when a car starts moving in to the blind spot. After I figured out the two-wire wiring (pro tip: just because your wires are white and black, DO NOT assume that the black wire is ground 🤦‍♂️), I got a more obvious LED working simply by tapping / splicing into the two wires that lead to the BSM on the back of the mirror glass.
(Frame rate of the camera and the LEDs not playing nice - in real life, both LEDs fade in/out smoothly.)
After spending a whopping $12 on some generic LEDs, I decided to spring for the OEM iteration (in look if nothing else).
Three LEDs in these side-mirror BSM indicators - this is what the factory BSM should be; I'd skip the mirror glass and just wire these up if I was doing it again.

(Ok - that's a terrible photo; but it was dark outside; whatcha gonna do? I'll try to get another one in the next day or so.)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Hmm, too bad the warranty pamphlet doesn't say anything about having a CEL on to get emissions items replaced past 40/70k. still debating on getting water pump done at dealer that did the 80k, I like the service advisors there, but the service manager is a tool. Long story short why my opinion is that- took car there for 80k, their online schedule for 80k service said AdBlue was included, not vehicle specific. Dropping car off, mentioned to service advisor. He said no it wasn't. I brought it up on phone, showed advisor. He went and showed the service manager, he got quite upset, saying it was for Touaregs only, said he was "tired of people trying to get something for nothing"... his office is directly behind the advisors, with windows and I saw and heard him say that to my advisor... I almost walked out right there, but the other advisor assured me it'd be taken care of and not to worry about it. I liked the mechanic that worked on my car...so now I don't know what to do... living in WNY with a TDI sucks sometimes....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Again I'm just sharing my experience with my dealer. No open campaigns for our vin, thus the dealer won't be doing any work compensated by VWoA warranty.

VW has not contacted us about having emissions related equipment replaced.

I haven't elevated a conversation with VWoA as it's not worth my time.

Also i'm not sure what lawyer got a boat for writing the emissions panphlet but it's a work of art.

"If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time, before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement."

I focus on the "need" part, that's a estimate by VW the emissions stuff won't last, we're sitting at 80K with phase 1 (10 miles) and 2A (36K) done, original DPF/DOC/SCR, at this point there's no reason to assume we'd need t replace it twice more to hit 150K.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Ahhh, so you are talking about your experience with your dealer and your VIN(s). We are talking about what the pamphlet says. And in my case I am talking about my VIN which does have an open recall, and I presume @tdidieselbobny who also has an open recall for Phase II.

For us, per the pamphlet, VW will be replacing all of the emissions equipment (due to our mileage) whether or not there is a CEL/anything broken. Because we have an open recall replacement of that equipment is not at their discretion.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ahhh, so you are talking about your experience with your dealer and your VIN(s). We are talking about what the pamphlet says. And in my case I am talking about my VIN which does have an open recall, and I presume @tdidieselbobny who also has an open recall for Phase II.

For us, per the pamphlet, VW will be replacing all of the emissions equipment (due to our mileage) whether or not there is a CEL/anything broken. Because we have an open recall replacement of that equipment is not at their discretion.
Make the call to the dealer see if you just get the NOx sensor (the cheapest option VW will lean towards) or the full schbang. Then start the conversations with VWoA of what a pamphlet says vs what they are willing to pay for.

Per what i read in the pamphlet I should be able to walk into the dealer and get phase 2B of new DPF/DOC/SCR yet that isn't the case.