What did you do to your MK7 today?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I've been googling some threads... there are people with fobs that work from 50+ feet away. Mine was like that at one point. My parking lot at work is a good 20-25 yards from the door of the building. I could get to the door and hit the button with the fob in my pocket and get an acknowledgment horn.

Every antenna I can find in the wiring diagrams goes to the KESSY module (J965) or to the Infotainment (J794). I was hoping to find something coming off of the BCM. US Golf's apparently use 315 MHz keys while EU (and maybe ROW) Golfs use 433 MHz. The key and BCM should match of course. Although I wonder if a 315Mhz key could be paired with a 433MHz BCM. It might work but with terrible range.

I did have my BCM replaced but it was with the ETKA specified replacement so should be correct. I also don't really know when the range issue started, hmmmmmm????

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I wonder if VCDS log the KESSY remote signal of you car at a specified XXX distance from the car it should be some level to determine if the antenna's are up to snuff.

There is a rear antenna under the bumper cover, wonder if that one is degraded, you signal is reduced by XX%.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
There's no antenna under my rear bumper cover that I saw, although there is a place for the KESSY one. Erwin shows the spot for that antenna (R136), two wires and they go directly to the KESSY module (Access/Start System Interface J965).

On the Mk4 (not the same, obviously, but for reference) there was a mod where the antenna (just a wire) was extended along the A pillar and over the door to extend the range. It would be great if there was something this simple on the Mk7. But at the same time there are Mk7's with great range (including mine, in the past).

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
There's no antenna under my rear bumper cover that I saw, although there is a place for the KESSY one. Erwin shows the spot for that antenna (R136), two wires and they go directly to the KESSY module (Access/Start System Interface J965).

On the Mk4 (not the same, obviously, but for reference) there was a mod where the antenna (just a wire) was extended along the A pillar and over the door to extend the range. It would be great if there was something this simple on the Mk7. But at the same time there are Mk7's with great range (including mine, in the past).
On the Mk4's and A3's, I extended range by opening my mouth, putting fob close to mouth and pressing button:sneaky:.... haven't tried to do it on my MK7 yet...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe the wagons have an added sensor and regular hatches don't. When i installed the tow bar I def saw it, it might be needed to operate the rear latch as its further away from the main kessy antenna.

I also get another 5-10 feet of range holding the fob under my chin, it increases to 6-11 feet if I also stand on one foot, but then i'd just look stupid.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Well, in my feeble quest to keep up with the @Cuzoe's (;)), I finally got ACC and Lane Assist working properly on my new (to me) 6MT GSW.
Parking assist also working well, although the rear speaker is really faint - hard to hear. I might try moving it to the factory install point (RH side) instead of the LH side where I have mine - maybe the mount point over on the other side carries the sound better. (?)
TPMS also wired in and working - just need to get my tires mounted with the TPMS sensors in them (all sitting out in the garage).

Only issue is my Blind Spot Monitoring modules. They're tied into the wiring, I have good ground and +12V on the power wire, but no signs of life from the modules themselves. Purchased from DokiAuto (Aliexpress), who are willing to send me another pair and refund me these when I send the defective ones back, but I found a set from a wrecker here in Canada (so already known to be working / parameterized). Should be delivered on Monday, so hopefully once I put those in, BSM works.🤞

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Did you code in the parking assist menus? You should have sliders for volume and pitch, separate for front and rear sensors. Assuming volume is maxed you could try changing the pitch, maybe something that "gets through" things better. Looks like your display has more "distance lines" than mine. Or maybe I'm crazy... I've been daily driving the Corolla since May, haha.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes - I tried playing around with the volume (helped a little), and just noticed the pitch adjustment yesterday - which actually did help. The reason I'm thinking of moving the speaker is that I found the pitch adjuster yesterday while sitting in the passenger seat (playing with MIB trying to install some update tools...that needs another thread), and while sitting in the passenger seat making the adjustments, the rear speaker seemed *much* louder than it'd ever been from the driver seat.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got my home-brew sequential signal lights working on the new car this afternoon (image below from my previous car, but included it just to show what I'm talking about).

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Updated to the 2022 navigation maps. There's a 50/50 chance the changes I think I see are in my head so I won't mention them until @Nuje updates his maps and confirms.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Living in the hinterlands of Canada (Vancouver Island), I'm not sure the map update, even if substantial, would be noticeable at my end.

I am looking forward to (at some point) getting the new CarPlay Maps interface...

...and while on that theme...I've been quite pleased with the CarLinkit wireless adapter I have plugged into the MIB2. On first start-up of the day, it takes a bit for it all to connect (maybe 45sec), but then after that, it reconnects quite quickly. The only real downside I've come across so far is that doing "skip FWD/BWD" with the steering wheel controls has maybe a 1-1.5sec lag to it - so jumping through ad reads in podcasts isn't as seamless as it was when wired. But overall - very pleased with it.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Well that looks good... Apple Maps update, available already? Not that it matters since I have Android, but I will give it a try with my wife's phone.

I really wish VW still had the Google Earth license for Discover Pro. AndroidAuto and CarPlay provide the same functionality (and more really) but I want it all. This was available as early as 2015 but not anymore :(

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Using CarPlay on my MIB2, I can do a "satellite" view using Google Maps and get something like that - the streets don't have the white lines and whatnot, but it does put labels and POIs on the satellite map view. (Thought I had a screenshot of it, but can't find it)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What I did today: Wasn't happy with the subtlety of the blind spot monitor amber warning indicator that appears in the mirror when a car starts moving in to the blind spot. After I figured out the two-wire wiring (pro tip: just because your wires are white and black, DO NOT assume that the black wire is ground 🤦‍♂️), I got a more obvious LED working simply by tapping / splicing into the two wires that lead to the BSM on the back of the mirror glass.
(Frame rate of the camera and the LEDs not playing nice - in real life, both LEDs fade in/out smoothly.)

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Version 1.1 (trimmed off the outer part of the rubber gasket) - looks a little cleaner, I think.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I changed the oil on my Golf today. Again went with the 0w30 VW oil I purchased at the dealership parts counter along with oil filter and new drain plug. Next week I plan on buying a filter pack, likely at idparts. The car is at 130k.

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
Getting ready to do a 40k DSG service. Did one last year with the funnel method and the last 3 quarts were painfully slow. Any recommendations on a fluid pump?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Do you have the coding for that?
It's not coding, time delay relays. And a bulb was added in the rear fog position (but you don't have to add that).

shortydog

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2005 MK4 Jetta TDI
Replaced the battery with an auto zone H6 agm battery. Followed the coding procedures from DIY battery thread.

nickdvm

TDI
1996 B4V TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL TDI
Installed trailer light harness. Followed this thread...

Grabbed hot of the 12v cigarette plug. Worked like a champ and no wires outside the car. Ready for the West Texas mountains and camping next week with our motorcycle trailer to haul gear. And everyone has room to stretch out, including the dog!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Finally got this CUAA up and running this week!
Had to redo the turbo oil drain line to larger size as it was smoking out the back. Drove it 100 miles like that thinking it just needed to break-in a bit after sitting for so long. Easy fix, and a bit of a relief honestly. Will wait for the clutch to be broken in before I send the injectors off to S&S Diesel for upgrade. But so far, the little I've pushed it, thing wants to RIP!
All in all, not a 1:1 swap, but also didn't require anything drastic IMO. 8-bolt DMF from 2.5cyl TDI, sintered Sachs clutch disc and pressure plate feel surprisingly driveable! Once the injectors are in and tuning is done, I'll get it on the dyno. Hoping to cross 300Whp/475tq. May look to upgrade the radiator for the charge cooler after that. These things are certainly efficient, but not as low IATs as a traditional FMIC as I have on my MK4.

Last edited:

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)

I decided to go the easy route. Not too sure if it was a good deal considering that you can get MIBII and up. This was plug-and-play. The bonus is that it came with a backup camera. A pain to install though but I get the luxury of using Android Auto/Apple Car Play with a backup camera (Canadian Trendline).

The unit is called Coral Vision and they send it out from Taiwan. This is great for those who want it installed in another vehicle and is not necessarily stuck to VWs.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
looks like an Audi or MB display from the factory, how upscale

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Used my Fluke to find a parasitic draw on my battery. The battery is new. The engine was slow cranking after only a week of sitting dormant. After two weeks, nothing and the multimeter showed 3V on the battery. Recharged fully and drove it around a bit. One week later, again with the slow cranking and ultimately failed to start. Waited for the whirrz, bells, and whistles to stop after hooking up the multimeter in series to check amperage, the car was pulling 260 to 320 mA with nothing on. Started pulling fuses and the draw dropped to 20 to 80 mA when I pulled fuse 46 (110V AC outlet in the back). Years ago I added a USB and DC power adapter to this circuit and routed under the back seat for the kids to use on trips. Tomorrow I will see if this is shorted out or if something failed on the converter itself.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Used my Fluke to find a parasitic draw on my battery. The battery is new. The engine was slow cranking after only a week of sitting dormant. After two weeks, nothing and the multimeter showed 3V on the battery. Recharged fully and drove it around a bit. One week later, again with the slow cranking and ultimately failed to start. Waited for the whirrz, bells, and whistles to stop after hooking up the multimeter in series to check amperage, the car was pulling 260 to 320 mA with nothing on. Started pulling fuses and the draw dropped to 20 to 80 mA when I pulled fuse 46 (110V AC outlet in the back). Years ago I added a USB and DC power adapter to this circuit and routed under the back seat for the kids to use on trips. Tomorrow I will see if this is shorted out or if something failed on the converter itself.
Removed my homemade power adapter this morning. Now at 26 mA with the doors closed and everything off. Now back to the drawing board to get power into the back seat for the kids again.