What did you do to your MK7 today?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
def start with fronts and see if you're still needing an upgrade.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
See my post: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...to-your-mk7-today.424376/page-74#post-5659675

The fronts are as simple as a larger carrier and disc. The rears are a total PITA, and are worth it only if you feel the larger front are still inadequate.
Fronts are already done with the 312mm upgrade, I will stick with the stock rears I guess. The rear rotors warped and I couldn't fix it by stopping hard from 60+mph multiple times or using the ebrake to clean up any deposits or glazing. I have 253mm brembo rotors and akebono pads on order; hopefully better quality stuff will hold up.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Upgradng rears bake a much bigger difference than upgraded fronts, big difference.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Paint codes and names are often interchanged adding to the confusion.

Tungsten on the Passat had a slight yellow hue to it, vastly different than that on Golf or jetta.

An 06 Jetta sedan had a different "metallic gray" than a 2010 jetta, same mk5 platform, just one had more blue undertones.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Had my windshield replaced with the proper glass to install the front assist camera and rain/light sensor. Hoping to have those retrofits completed either this weekend or next. Then a remote session to complete the retrofit of Predictive Adaptive Cruise Control (PACC).

Pictures to come, once I figure out that other password 🤦‍♂️

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
131k miles, a check engine light was followed by a burning plastic smell and smoke coming from under the hood in the middle of a regen. Scan showed P2456, P0470, P2453, P2002, P041 codes.

Looking under the hood it was obvious the sensor wrapped in silver rubber insulation located on top of the engine to the right of the DPF decided to vaporize itself. The clips on the DPF lines on the timing cover had melted off too.

The car spent over a week at the dealer who replaced the particulate pressure sensor, exhaust pressure sensor, and all associated wiring, and hoses. All covered by the warranty. Sounded like this happens enough that VW had a repair "kit" sent to the dealer for this exact issue.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Front camera was installed, lane assist and pACC coding was completed remotely. I have since changed the camera coding for "early" intervention and enabled Adaptive Lane Tracking selection via infotainment. The car now keeps it's lane surprisingly well. Frameless, dimming rearview mirror was also required with the new windshield.

Noticed pACC has some neat behaviors as compared to ACC. You can see the relative distance of cars in front of you in the display. It does a better job regulating distance; specific scenario is a car going faster than you coming into your lane inside of your set follow distance, where before it would quickly hit the brakes and try to create that separation, it now recognizes that car is going faster and so does not apply the brakes (I guess that's the predictive part). It also does some adjustment of the set cruise speed based on the upcoming terrain. Still need to get traffic sign recognition working so it can adjust speed based on road signs as well.

I also bought a new, NAR spec MIB 2.5 unit to replace my (unnamed vendor) hacked unit that I wasn't happy with (Android Auto never worked, false "all speakers shorted to ground" on startup that I worked around with a time delay relay, no XM). New unit is properly mated to my car with no funny business going on. Now using an AAwireless dongle, it's awesome.

Along with the new windshield came the install of the rain/light/humidity sensor. So I picked up a headlight switch with the Auto function. Still need to install this and code auto headlights, auto wipers and coming home lights.

On the list now is Mk8 steering wheel :LOL:. Was going to go with the Mk7 clubsport alcantara to match my seats but I'm concerned about maintenance on that wheel. I won't be driving with gloves on and have a tendency to use sanitizer when getting in the car these days.

TDI
Golf MK7 1.6TDI 110HP 2015
It may have already been written about, but I can't find any information. I have a Golf 7 Variant from 2015. The rear lights are not LED. I know that the facelift is already with LED lights. Is it easy to put facelift lights on my Golf?

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
It may have already been written about, but I can't find any information. I have a Golf 7 Variant from 2015. The rear lights are not LED. I know that the facelift is already with LED lights. Is it easy to put facelift lights on my Golf?
I believe you'll need to do some coding.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
To add to that, I'm about 90% sure the facelift tail lights have different plugs on them as well. I haven't seen many people switch from standard (pre-facelift) tails to facelift tails. Folks switching tails are usually going with the "high" LED tails that have sequential blinkers. You'll need to switch plugs either way, but if going LED I would (and did) go "all the way" with it.

The first post has the right part numbers. You can get pre-built harness from various places. But user Zero815 is super knowledgeable about light coding and I think is actually living somewhere in Europe right now so might want to PM them.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Keep in mind also that (at least on the pre-facelift) Mk7, the tail lights are *not* interchangeable between the Variant/Sportwagen and the Golf-Golf - different physical shape to them. Mk7.5 may have changed but I would verify part numbers.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Ahhh, Golf 7 Variant 🤦🏿‍♂️. Disregard my link to that thread. I would still suspect different plugs between non/facelifted cars though.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I know no one cares about XM Traffic, but I got it working on my MIB 2.5 after some minor struggles... Sirius claiming the radio doesn't support traffic and one incorrect 5F adaptation. I'll cancel after the trial is over, probably.
https://flic.kr/p/2mmMQ8v
Also about as close to an SEL feature set as my TDI S can get I think... ACC, High Beam Assist, Lane Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition (which automatically sets the cruise speed)
https://flic.kr/p/2mmHUUD

Last edited:

KIX

TDI
2016 Sportwagen TDI SE
I know no one cares about XM Traffic, but I got it working on my MIB 2.5 after some minor struggles... Sirius claiming the radio doesn't support traffic and one incorrect 5F adaptation. I'll cancel after the trial is over, probably.
https://flic.kr/p/2mmMQ8v
Also about as close to an SEL feature set as my TDI S can get I think... ACC, High Beam Assist, Lane Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition (which automatically sets the cruise speed)
https://flic.kr/p/2mmHUUD
My Se with DAP has averything and works perfect EXCEPT the darn High Beam assist, can you post a picture or your lights module coding?
Awesome mods BTW !

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
My Se with DAP has averything and works perfect EXCEPT the darn High Beam assist, can you post a picture or your lights module coding?
Awesome mods BTW !
I don't have lighting package thus no lighting modules to code, so I can't speak to if/how they get coded for HBA. My coding might be different from yours based on equipment as well. I have the lane assist camera, coded for high beam assist. Mine is the 3Q0 camera, as installed in 2017+ cars. Assuming you have lane assist, you'll follow one of the following. If instead you've got the small camera mounted at the base of your rearview mirror I'm not sure how it gets coded, but I expect the BCM coding is the same regardless.

For the camera...
Open controller [A5-Frnt Assist/Driver Assist]
Open [Coding-07] and use the Long Coding Helper
For MY2016 equipped with 5Q0-980-653-x:
Set Byte 2 to 01 Light Assist AFS: High Beam Assist (HBA)
For MY2017 equipped with 3Q0-980-654-x:
Set Byte 21 to 20 Light Assist AFS: High Beam Assist (HBA)

There are two things that need coding in the BCM. The first gets you the high beam assist option in the lighting menu of the infotainment.

Open controller 09 - Central Electronics
Security Access 16 – enter 31347 and press Do It
Adaptation 10 – use channel drop down box, go to:
IDE08786-ENG116637-Assistance light functions-Menuesteuerung Fernlichtassistent
Change Stored value from Not Present > present.

The second thing in the BCM...
Go to Coding, Long Coding Helper
Go to Byte 2
Change from Bi-Xenon w/o Light Assist to Bi-Xenon with Light Assist, Exit, Do It

I did everything with VCDS but it can be done with OBDEleven as well. I've also read (but need to find and try) that there are two sensitivity modes for HBA to work, changeable by pushing the left stalk forward for something like 30 seconds. I drove around for 20 minutes until I found a street dark enough for the high beams to come on automatically. System seems very sensitive, but I'd rather that than blinding people.

Reactions: KIX

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Replaced my keyfob battery , as each time I started it today message came on saying to change it... CR2025 battery, date on old battery in fob I wrote on was November 2019....

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I haven't got any messages for key fob batteries but I swear I have to be less than 6 ft from the car to lock/unlock (no KESSY). When I first noticed that I couldn't walk away from the car and hit lock I replaced the fob battery. Didn't notice much change though.

Anybody know the location for the antenna? I almost feel like I attenuated it somehow, or disconnected something. I seem to remember hitting the alarm button from quite a distance years ago to find the car in a Six Flags parking lot. Zero chance of that nowadays.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I'd try a different battery in fob. some of them have a slight coating as well you can remove with alcohol. Try your spare fob and see if its same short range.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if
Replaced my keyfob battery , as each time I started it today message came on saying to change it... CR2025 battery, date on old battery in fob I wrote on was November 2019....
be a gentleman and slide in a 2032 into it, it fits just have to be gentle with it. You'll prob get a bit longer.

I do have a stack of 3032 that i thought i'd be smart and buy a few in advance that have "best before 2020", lol.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I'll pick up a couple 2032's and give them a try. @thundershorts both fobs have the same awful range. That being said, I only replaced the battery in one of them because it was the only we used for the better part of 2 years. We had misplaced the other fob but when found I had already replaced the battery in the daily use one. Range is terrible on both, but the lost one has a 4+ year old battery, so it's overdue a replacement.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have noticed Kessy based fobs of the mk7 do have less range than my old mk5 Jetta (non kessy) even with a fresh battery, I have to be within 15 feet to roll the windows down on the alltrack.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
As fast as the CR2025s were fading, I bought a 4-pack of the 2032s thinking they'd be better but not THAT much better. I've only used one of the 4-pack in the past few years.