What did you do to your MK7 today?

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Since purchasing the car second hand I had an intermittent issue with the one touch window operation on the driver side. Issue would manifest itself after attempting to hit the lock button right after starting the car (force of habit), noticed the window would go down normally then on the way up the one touch would stop working and have to be reset. I also was curious if this was caused by a weakening car battery. It takes up to a few seconds for the alternator to ramp up to normal voltage on my car, so I thought it was low voltage which would be exacerbated by attempting to use central locking right after startup but that turns out to be some kessy limitation. Well, I watched a video about the door connector being some innovative german thing where you can pull the tab up and disconnect the whole door harness basically and I wanted to try it out, and I noticed upon reconnecting the issue is gone! Could it have been oxidation on these pins!? I sprayed some CRC QD electronic cleaner on it and let it dry and reconnected it again to be sure. Happy the problem seems to be resolved for now.

update 6/27 the issue is back, got excited for nothing! lol

Last edited:

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
After roughly 10 hours of work, lots of cursing, and a broken water pump, I successfully finished my timing belt replacement and oil change at 129,000 miles. It was my first attempt at a timing belt job and I knew going in that it wasn't going to be easy but it ended up being a much more difficult process than I anticipated. I might have missed it somehow but I couldn't find a thorough step by step guide and there are just enough differences between the 2015 and previous years to cause some headaches. Maybe someone will be kind enough to put together a guide or video in the future specific to replacing the timing belt without a lift. I somehow cracked the housing on the new water pump when tightening it up. It must have slipped just enough to catch on something but not enough for me to see it. Thankfully IDParts is within driving distance so I didn't have to wait long for a replacement.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
Sold the Golf to Carvana, who gave us more than the KBB private party value for it. I will miss it, but it wasn't working with my new job. We still have a 2015 Passat TDI though if I want great mileage. The Ranger I replaced the Golf with has an estimate of 26 highway, which I think is pretty accurate. I can probably get over 30 on the right stretch of road, but the Golf would have been well into the 50's on the same pavement.

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
Strong work! I wish idparts was within driving distance.

After roughly 10 hours of work, lots of cursing, and a broken water pump, I successfully finished my timing belt replacement and oil change at 129,000 miles. It was my first attempt at a timing belt job and I knew going in that it wasn't going to be easy but it ended up being a much more difficult process than I anticipated. I might have missed it somehow but I couldn't find a thorough step by step guide and there are just enough differences between the 2015 and previous years to cause some headaches. Maybe someone will be kind enough to put together a guide or video in the future specific to replacing the timing belt without a lift. I somehow cracked the housing on the new water pump when tightening it up. It must have slipped just enough to catch on something but not enough for me to see it. Thankfully IDParts is within driving distance so I didn't have to wait long for a replacement.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
t, but it wasn't working with my new job. We still have a 2015 Passat TDI though if I want great mileage. The Ranger I replaced the Golf with has an estimate of 26 highway, which I think is pretty accurate. I can probably get over 30 on the right stretch of road, but the Golf would have been well into the 50's on the same pave

It's hard to pass up the logical decision vs the emotional one., but I agree that you prob made the correct one. Sadly when we need to unload a car (2-3 years) the used market won't be as ripe as it is today.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Well, had the oil and filter changed at my dealer yesterday. Dorschel sold out to Bob Johnson, which didn't thrill me. Getting in my car after work was done and checking the oil level. A little bit ago I double checked my invoice. Says 5w-40 bulk diesel engine oil, $5.95/qt. Part # is GE555401BDSP, which is spec'd for 502 00 and 504 00 only:mad::mad::mad:, so I filled out a feedback email to the service "manager" requesting a re-do of oil and filter with proper oil. First real issue I've had with my service experiences there since 2016, so we'll see how it goes.... edit: 505, not 504....

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
504 is 507 is correct.
502 is 505 is wrong.
508 is 0W-20 for 2020+.

Both the new Mobil1 0W-30 504/507 and 5W-40 502/505 are available bulk.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
504 is 507 is correct.
502 is 505 is wrong.
508 is 0W-20 for 2020+.

Both the new Mobil1 0W-30 504/507 and 5W-40 502/505 are available bulk.
No 5w-40 that I am aware of is 507 approved. Car had 5w-30 for 1st 5 changes with Castrol, last 2 with Mobil, 60k was the 0w-30....

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
No 5w-40 that I am aware of is 507 approved. Car had 5w-30 for 1st 5 changes with Castrol, last 2 with Mobil, 60k was the 0w-30....
Reread what I wrote. There is no 502 and 504. It’s one or the other.

It certainly seems your dealer knows what they’re doing in the past. I’m wondering if they actually used the wrong oil or if they just billed it incorrectly. Let us know the outcome!

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reread what I wrote. There is no 502 and 504. It’s one or the other.

It certainly seems your dealer knows what they’re doing in the past. I’m wondering if they actually used the wrong oil or if they just billed it incorrectly. Let us know the outcome!
Yeah, not sure. Window sticker in car says 0w-30. I go by invoice and what I get charged for. If they don't want complaints then they better pay attention to what they're doing. Just left a voicemail for their service "manager". Sure are quick to send out email wanting your feedback, not so much if you actually have a concern.....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which is the correct oil then.

The service writer is just charging you for bulk oil, they very well may have actually filled correctly. You're correct that it's not an excuse.
Finally got back to me today. Will re-do the service, but said they do use 507 oil in TDI's, said being in process of changing owners that they've been having issues with part #'s. I don't care what their issue is. If I had a problem down the road and they see 5w-40 on an invoice, they'd probably deny warranty. That's why I take it there-for the paper trail.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What a friggin hassle. Went to get the incorrectly billed oil change at 10:40 this morning. 2 hrs later the service guy comes and gives me invoice and keys, I asked where my receipt from previous change was, he went to check. Looked at new invoice for new oil change-guess what- it says 0w-40 oil:mad::mad::mad:- show that to the service guy when he comes back and tells me receipt is in car. I politely tell him it is incorrect oil for the '15, he says they have 1 oil for diesels, I said that's not the correct one, it is now the 0w-30... he goes back and a few minutes later he comes out and said give me the keys, we'll do it again.... another hour goes by and comes out and says your done. Invoice just lists part # this time without weight, so I'll have to check it out.... so I'm guessing I have the right oil now:rolleyes:. May have to shop around with other VW dealers when I need the 80k service..., and no, I'm not doing it myself....

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Does your service dept send you customer surveys like mine does? Downrate them on that and it seems to get some response.
I have downrated on surveys, called to voice my complaints, written emails, and responded to their service reminder emails (which they send me, despite my survey responses) with my previous issues... no responses, ever, haha.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Yea, I've been to the three dealer/service centers closest to me. It's been supremely annoying. The shop I would trust all but got out of the TDI business after the scandal. It's pretty rare for me to see another TDI here in Los Angeles and the surprise questions I get when calling shops (for work that is not diesel specific) after telling them it's a TDI suggests there isn't too much experience working on them.

Anyone here have a recommendation in the SoCal area? I'm in SFV but perfectly willing to drive a bit, can always make a day or two out of it.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does your service dept send you customer surveys like mine does? Downrate them on that and it seems to get some response.
Yeah, one I got after the service on the 28th I included my cell # to call and discuss-zippo, zero, nada. The only response I got was when I sent an email. Here in WNY there is d*ck for trusted mecahnics, closest is Waterloo (SelectEuroCars), but the reminders I get from them somehow(never had any services done there) saying they service diesels with the proper 5w-40 oil :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , I messaged owner about it and was adamant that it is 5w-40 for the '15's.....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
just think, you pay for that kind of headaches. Sounds like fun.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You pay for that kind of headache at most any place in my opinion. There are mechanics and then there are "mechanics". When you find a good one stay with them wherever they are.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You pay for that kind of headache at most any place in my opinion. There are mechanics and then there are "mechanics". When you find a good one stay with them wherever they are.
I hear ya. If I had a GM, I'd have a mechanic. Tough waters here in WNY for a trusted VW mechanic. I may try one of the VW only dealers in the Buffalo area for next service(80k).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
so far i haven't had any major headaches doing my OCI.

Only hiccup was trying to use Mahle oil filters in the 2015, vs Hangst, the mahle have a fiber gasket that seems darn tight (compared to the hangst) to go over the piton "plastic cage" of the filter housing. I chickened out and didn't force it over for fear it'd have issues removing and used another hangst i had on the shelf.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
My hylux in ed's headlights work fine for over 5 years. don't try them in the original reflector lights.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
I'm looking at upgrading the rear brakes on my car. The current rotors are 253x10mm, and I notice the alltrack has 272x10mm rotors. I wonder if the difference is just in the caliper carrier or if the caliper is larger.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I'm looking at upgrading the rear brakes on my car. The current rotors are 253x10mm, and I notice the alltrack has 272x10mm rotors. I wonder if the difference is just in the caliper carrier or if the caliper is larger.
See my post: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...to-your-mk7-today.424376/page-74#post-5659675

The fronts are as simple as a larger carrier and disc. The rears are a total PITA, and are worth it only if you feel the larger front are still inadequate.

Last edited: