What did you do to your MK7 today?

mk7gsw

TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6MT
Ugghhhh, they look so good, nice find.
I lucked out! I've been chasing a set for some time, and always missed out. The guy I purchased these off of has a 19' Golf R that he installed powder coated Cadiz onto immediately after purchase. He kept these around thinking he would run them as a second summer set. More than I wanted to spend, but they still had the nubs on them, and they look better than expected!

mk7gsw

TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6MT
As much as I love the aesthetics of the Osrams, I regret not biting the bullet and tacking either an LP conversion or an HID conversion of the halogens. If I could convert the Osrams to HID and, if there were room, add a pair of high projectors, I could die happy!
Where did you get the Osrams from? I had a cracked headlight, and would love to do that upgrade.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
skip those osrams, while nice they are crazy expensive, check out becautoparts.com for Eds reps, best bang for the buck for upgrades over stock halogens.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
skip those osrams, while nice they are crazy expensive, check out becautoparts.com for Eds reps, best bang for the buck for upgrades over stock halogens.
BEC's are $700 and the Osrams generally end up at $900-$1000 depending on exchange rate and the shipping method. I wouldn't call that a crazy price difference. The Osrams are guaranteed to be a quality piece as they are road legal (in the EU, not in the US, but no aftermarket lights are road legal here). Not to say I'm down on the quality of BEC headlights, I have no experience.

That being said, that eBay link is crazy expensive. I bought mine from http://www.mytuning24.de/osram/OSRAM-LEDriving-XENARC-VW-Golf-VI-6/vw-golf-7/ and right now they are 672 euro (remember to remove VAT). I paid another 100 euro for DHL express shipping and got them in 4 days from Germany but you could choose slower/cheaper shipping.

Assuming the same 40 euro shipping cost the Osrams are $840 from mytuning24.de right now, versus $1,110 from that eBay seller. Figure you're going to add tax for the BEC's (which will vary by state) or PayPal fees from mytuning24 but I'd call that a wash.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
BEC's are $700
And don't forget, BECs have been available only in LED form for the past year or so, so if you wanted HIDs, as I would, you would have to either wait until they're available, if ever, or add $135 for their conversion kit. And you still wind up with lower build quality overall than the Osrams.

I'm not necessarily recommending the Osrams over the BECs. I think the choice depends on what you're looking for. The Osrams are aesthetically superior, better built and should prove more durable, but lighting performance is underwhelming. With my 68-year old night vision, the last point is the most relevant for me! And the inability to readily modify the Osrams for better performance (lows and highs) relative to the BECs is a serious liability.

Last edited:

DslG8r

TDI
2015 mk7
I am hoping so, but not optimistic! I live in Arizona and the dust here can be super heavy. I've just sort of resigned myself to shooting shop air through it once a week 😅

DslG8r

TDI
2015 mk7
A good day for stuff! My Rennline phone mount arrived today. Had to take off some of the panels to get it in, but man is it nice and tight! Vehicle specific too, it fits like a glove!

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
A good day for stuff! My Rennline phone mount arrived today. Had to take off some of the panels to get it in, but man is it nice and tight! Vehicle specific too, it fits like a glove!
I added the same Rennline cell phone mount to my Mk7 last month. So far, so good, but it did not have the glove-like fit that you describe. As I recall, the shape of the mount near the double-sided adhesive didn't allow 100% of the adhesive pad to contact the back of the panel. The adhesive was strong enough (I hope) to obtain a lasting bond with the portion that did make contact. Time will tell, I guess. This is my second such mount, the other being on a Boxster, which installed without any issues.

DslG8r

TDI
2015 mk7
I added the same Rennline cell phone mount to my Mk7 last month. So far, so good, but it did not have the glove-like fit that you describe. As I recall, the shape of the mount near the double-sided adhesive didn't allow 100% of the adhesive pad to contact the back of the panel. The adhesive was strong enough (I hope) to obtain a lasting bond with the portion that did make contact. Time will tell, I guess. This is my second such mount, the other being on a Boxster, which installed without any issues.
Mine didn't lay flush at first either. I looked closer and found that one of the tabs on my car was bent preventing it from fully seating. I gently bent it back and then it sat flush! Possibly the same thing as yours? It was a plastic tab on my stereo surround

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
These are magnetic phone mounts I assume? I had one of the cheapy ones that clips into a vent on my old car. That thing wrecked the compass of my phone LOL, to this day my phone doesn't know which direction I'm facing.

Not an issue if I'm moving and start navigation because the GPS knows which direction I'm going. But if I'm stationary or using it for walking directions it's always lost, haha. And it's really bad if I'm downtown between buildings where GPS isn't good.

Tons of people use the magnet mounts though so I have to assume it's just poor shielding on my OnePlus 6T, and OnePlus One before that.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Techna-Fit lines should arrive today. Going to install the GTI brakes tomorrow.

Side-by-side, I see the issue with the parking brake mechanism orientation. But I’m going to have to agree that there is barely any material on the wall to drill.

@thundershorts when you tapped the new hole, did you downsize the screw?

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Little bit annoyed. Techna-Fit sent me the wrong lines after nearly two weeks. Wrong color and not 2” longer in the rear.

Chris has generally been not that easy to work with either.

Last edited:

DslG8r

TDI
2015 mk7
These are magnetic phone mounts I assume? I had one of the cheapy ones that clips into a vent on my old car. That thing wrecked the compass of my phone LOL, to this day my phone doesn't know which direction I'm facing.

Not an issue if I'm moving and start navigation because the GPS knows which direction I'm going. But if I'm stationary or using it for walking directions it's always lost, haha. And it's really bad if I'm downtown between buildings where GPS isn't good.

Tons of people use the magnet mounts though so I have to assume it's just poor shielding on my OnePlus 6T, and OnePlus One before that.
Yep! Magnetic style but they are cut for our car specifically. I haven't had issue with my compass, but I always keep my magnets on the outside of my Otterbox. The ignorance is bliss 😂. Lord knows computers and magnets have something of a reputation together. Call it dumb luck for me!

DslG8r

TDI
2015 mk7
Little bit annoyed. Techna-Fit sent me the wrong lines after nearly two weeks. Wrong color and definitely not 2” longer in the rear.

Chris has generally been not that easy to work with either.
That is rough :/ any other companies as options?

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
That is rough :/ any other companies as options?
On a second look, the rears might actually be correct, albeit the wrong color. I’ll know for certain tomorrow.

I still think Chris was difficult to work with via email. I’d be curious if it was any different calling-in. If I had to do it again, I’d go to a local company that makes them for trucks. When I’m done, I’ll take some photos and post all the measurements.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Got the fronts done:

Extremely straight forward swap. As for the rears. I recommend cutting the dust plate, because holy **** what a ***** the 200nm+180° is on the wheel hub.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I recommend cutting the dust plate, because holy **** what a ***** the 200nm+180° is on the wheel hub.
After snapping the ½" breaker bar doing my friend's rear hubs (albeit on a Mk5) trying to get there, it took at a good 15-20 bounces of me (180lbs) on my ¾" bar to get the last 60° or so. Having under-torqued them before (got to ~90° and said "close enough"), they didn't last very long, so I wanted to make sure the second time around.

Got a photo of the rear brake setup? I'm having trouble envisioning what your issue is with the brake cable on the new calipers.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Tin snips made quick work of the lip on the rear dust shields. Then a file for any particularly unpleasing edges. Having replaced the front axle bolts (more than once) I had zero interest in fighting the rear hubs. 3/4" breaker with the handle of my floor jack as an extension is what it took for me, still hair raising.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
You don't have to do anything more than unbolt the rear hubs from the swing arm to change the splash plates.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Received my replacement rear lines in today.

They are also NOT the correct length. They just sent me another pair of stock-length lines.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Man alive, you are getting really bad service... you should have someone else order the lines for you, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

I3arruka

TDI
Titan - 2015 VW Golf TDI
Today I bought a short shifter from local former TDI owner, and a cubby organized for just above the spare wheel and below the carpet.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Had to replace right side low beam headlight. Been 2 years since I installed them, last time driver side burned out, replaced both,so this time I used the spare used one. Next one to burn out will do the pair again. I used the Sylvania ones, not the gold zxe, the regular zxe's. I already have a new set in my cabinet...