What did you do to your MK7 today?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Tell Tecna- fit you need the lines 2.5 in longer than the normal lines, 10mm straight banjo ends and you need the banjo bolts proper length along with the 4 copper washers and to use stainless fittings. You can have them in many colors so as to match your car if you want.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Tell Tecna- fit you need the lines 2.5 in longer than the normal lines, 10mm straight banjo ends and you need the banjo bolts proper length along with the 4 copper washers and to use stainless fittings. You can have them in many colors so as to match your car if you want.
All lines, or just the rears?

Sorry for asking so many questions. You’re just the only one who’s done this as I plan to, and I don’t want to wait on parts due to misordering.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
And again on an unrelated note, I can confirm that OBDLink (OBD Fusion) on iOS reads our DPF's metrics correctly. Saw a regen start while at a stop light and looked to check:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I didn't know if you were doing all 4 or just rears. The fronts need no mods to the gti calipers. Front are 10mm and you can use original or buy two from tecnafit to match rear line color. The know the specs for fronts. I think the gentleman that handles sales is pretty knowledgeable. They are very fast as well, couple days.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Would it make sense to move this discussion to its own thread? I'm thinking that it would be easier for future seekers of info on this issue to find it in a discrete thread.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Yes, I actually have all the switches, haha... right now two buttons do nothing...
TPMS Set - need to swap to the 46 pin ABS that supports TPMS set via a button, and not just via can command from the infotainment
Auto Start/Stop - this is currently wired to a relay that will turn the external Sound Actor on/off, when I install it
https://flic.kr/p/2kzRUn1 Our factory 38 pin ABS does not have an input to set TPMS via 12V signal, the 46 pin ABS accepts that signal on pin 41. Installing the 46 pin ABS has fallen way down in priority since my 38 pin ABS supports ACC with 6MT. It's not clear if the 38 pin ABS supports ACC with DSG, so I was originally switching to the 46 pin as per @Nuje's ACC retrofit DIY. I have the 46 pin in the garage, but no need to install it right now except the TPMS set function.
Where can I get that metallic plastic trim that surrounds the leather boot? Mine is chipped. Thanks.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Not sure that you can order that part separately, but per parts.vw.com...
5GM711113CMIT - part number for 6MT knob/boot/trim
5G1713203JUMF - part number for DSG knob/boot/trim

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, that is informative, seems like all our cars came with xds, the gti, R came with xds+ but thats an upgrade that probably is a big waste of money/time. I had been studying the new Citroen dampers but they will never make them for other cars. Perhaps the steering changes under dcc work well, they I would think change the speeds at which assist is reduced and by the amount of reduction.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Yes absolutely it would. I'm more than happy to start a thread about it. If there any mods around is it possible they could open a thread and move all of our off topic steering rack discussion into it?

If not I'll log in on my computer and multi quote all of it later this evening.
Just saw this reported post. I'll work on it later today of tomorrow.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Flashed the latest revision of the Kerma Stage 1+ tune. Placebo effect says it has slightly better throttle response than before. Had a little fun with ASR off, tire chirping.

Then played around with the mounting positions of my front plate (tow hook mount), hoping to find one that didn't interfere with the parking sensors... no joy. No holes in my bumper so probably going with a vinyl plate. Doing the same for the wife's car, although we've never run a front plate on her car... https://licenseplatewrap.com/

This site is apparently legal as they work with the CA DMV, but has anyone tried any of the other vinyl plate sites?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
The tow hook mount look doesn't bother me but the vinyl ones are kinda cool. The rounded bull nose of my wife's car will look way better with the vinyl. I don't mind the way a mount looks on the Golf but like you, I don't want any holes. If someone made a grill mount for the Golf I would buy it.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Haha... I just finished retrofitting parking sensors, front radar lower grill and fog lights in my current bumper... IF a tornado red GTI front bumper with fogs and radar ready lower grill, in its entirety, pops up locally maybe I'll make the swap. I won't stipulate that it has parking sensors since I can pick up the brackets for cheap and have the tool to punch the holes. But that's the only way it's going to happen, haha.

I also have Maxton side skirts and front lip (for the Golf bumper) so you'll have to find buyers for those so that I can buy the proper GTI side skirts. Then I'll finally be able to use the full set of GTI mud flaps I own. I have the GTI rear valence with dual exhaust so I had to buy a set of mud flaps for the GTI for the rear and a set of Holf ones for the front.

My only outstanding show items are the side skirts/lip and Club Sport rear spoiler. My only outstanding go item is the CR190, from Kerma since I have to stay emissions legal here in California.

Liberty

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI S
I got a used set of Eibach Pro Sport springs for my 15 sportwagen. I've got 42k miles on my car. I've never swapped springs before, while I am in there should I do anything else?

At some point I want to put Koni Special Actives in, but this is a slow and steady sort of build and I am not sure if I want to spend the money on that right now.

Thoughts?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Replace your front strut bearings for sure, should be less than $40 for the pair, cheap insurance against noises. At 42k I would consider replacing the strut mounts as well. I don't know what the recommended interval is for strut mounts (if there is one) but they're rubber and can wear down. They are also relatively inexpensive so I would replace them for peace of mind. If for no other reason than dropping the front suspension is kind of a pain to again. Make sure you are replacing all the one time use torque to yield hardware where required.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Was playing with OBD Fusion for iOS some more today, and it turns out it's "Percentage to DPF Regen" gauge is dead-on accurate:

Apparently it's a SAE PID listed by the ECU as available called "Normalized Trigger for DPF Regeneration". Thought @hskrdu might find this interesting too.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Speaking of. Hey @Cuzoe or @thundershorts, do either of you have what you ordered from Techna-Fit? Perhaps an order number? Because this is what I sent them:

I'm starting a project to convert my 2015 Golf TDI's brakes (288mm/253mm F/R) to that of the Non-PP GTI brakes (312mm/272mm). Members of the TDIClub Forums have directed me to you as being familiar with this conversion and the lines needed.

From what I gathered, the front needs no change from the MK7 stock lines, whereas the rear lines will need to be 2.5" longer with 10mm Straight-Banjo ends (along with new proper-sized banjo bolts).
And this is what they replied:

$60 for the two front lines. Never did the converted the rear lines before. I will have to look into that one.
:rolleyes:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
My exact email to Chris is in the spoiler tags. I went to PP rear brakes but I would think my same order would work for you. Reused the banjo bolt from my stock lines, just replaced the crush washer on both sides. I paid $50 for the rear lines. My understanding is that only rear calipers with electronic parking brake, so Golf R, use 10mm and everything with manual parking brake uses 12mm. I don't I know the logical reason for it but since I reused the banjo it means our stock rear calipers use a 12mm.

Had them make front brake lines for me but they were for the Porsche Macan calipers, paid $60 for those. Not sure you need front lines for that conversion, unless you're just doing matching front and back, which is what I would do too.

Good evening Chris,

I would like to get a quote on some stainless steel brake lines for the rear of my 2015 Golf TDI.

I am looking for 14" lines with a 12mm straight banjo fitting for the caliper side. For the vehicle side I am not sure the exact type of end but a member "thundershorts" on the TDIClub forums ordered lines from you all and recommended I reach out. His exact suggestion was to ask for "lines made with the round line fitting with the circlip groove. [like the] 2015 gti." Hopefully that means more to you than it does to me.

For reference, this is a link to thread. From what I can tell he ordered a set of lines around October/November 2019, also for a 2015 Golf TDI. His posts referencing techna-fit are on page 6 and 7.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476965

Hope to hear back soon.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Thank you! Though I'm hoping @thundershorts can provide me an order number to just give Chris to quickly reference.

Also, I just confirmed, Non-PP and stock MK7 rear brakes have a 10mm banjo. PP and R calipers use 12mm.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Cool, I had a difficult time trying to find confirmation. When I went to install the PP rears I realized I had never ordered the banjo. Figured I would try the stock one and it fit, got lucky I guess. I thought @thundershorts did PP rears, might be mis-remembering, but I thought he was also talking about needing to order 2019 GLI rear brake Shields to fit them.

In any case, with both sets of lines from them I never had an order number. Just email communication where they gave me a quote. We agreed then they called, took my CC info over the phone.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
The rear needs shields regardless due to the TDI’s stock rotors being 20mm smaller than the rest of the various base-model MQB cars. That’s why the shields from a 2019 Jetta work on the cheap.

I’m going to just email Chris back and basically ask him to just make me rear lines for a 2015 Non-PP GTI that are 2.5” longer.