What did you do to your MK7 today?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
As for the front, I have seen people remove the front cigarette lighter socket and replaced it with USB ports. Not sure if anyone has done anything USB C related. Anything is possible though with money and time. Would be a fun project to pursue.
I just recently put a UGREEN (via amazon) 12V adapter into my centre console (under the armrest) that has one PD USB-C and one USB-A. Works great.

Last edited:

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I just recently put a UGREEN (via amazon) 12V adapter into my centre console (under the armrest) that has one PD USB-C and one USB-A. Works great.
I should have clarified. I want to use the power for a Qi phone charger, and don’t want a long cable going from arm rest to dash. Looking to mount it on the LH side vent. But that’s not a bad idea.

I started driving for Uber eats and the app just absolutely annihilates my battery.

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Would this work? Ugreen Car Mount Qi Wireless Charger

A good power source that is easy to get to and very well hidden would be in the fuse box compartment. Use something like this a cigarette lighter socket and plug in the 12V adaptor with what Nuje suggested. Run the cable within the fuse compartment and the USB cable to the car mount. The wire can fit through the side panel and can pop out close to the vent.

I've been in that compartment and side panelling a lot for dash cams and retrofitting the homelink mirror to know that you can definitely hide and run a wire from there.

Is that a solution that you were looking for?

Last edited:

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf

A good power source that is easy to get to and very well hidden would be in the fuse box compartment. Use something like this a cigarette lighter socket and plug in the 12V adaptor with what Nuje suggested. Run the cable within the fuse compartment and the USB cable to the car mount. The wire can fit through the side panel and can pop out close to the vent.

I've been in that compartment and side panelling a lot for dash cams and retrofitting the homelink mirror to know that you can definitely hide and run a wire from there.

I didn’t even think about a fuse tap. That’s a great idea. I was otherwise going to drill a hole in the bottom of the arm rest and run a long cable from the lighter socket in there to the dash. But would need at least 6-8’ I think.

Thanks for the idea.

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
The battery in our 2015 Sportwagon TDI died. Was able to get the car jump started and it ran fine. We were about 20 miles from home. CEL on the entire time and was throwing code P0562. Charged the battery for about four hours and car would not start. I'm going to start with a new battery and the store is telling me that resetting the computer is required after changing the battery. Is this correct?

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
Installed a new battery and the car started right up. Dash lights are on. Stability control, CEL, and TPMS. Is this a simple matter of the computer needing to record data while the car is driven?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Keep in mind that Qi charging is a lot less efficient than hard-wired, so if your output from the adapter is just what you get standard out of the little cube charger included with iPhone - 5W (5V*1.0A), you're not going to keep your metaphorical head above water. That is, screen lit up the whole time streaming mapping data....you'll be losing charge the whole time. Hence that higher power USB-C adapter I linked to above.

Given the price of a phone these days, I put mine in a case, and I greatly prefer magnetic car mounts for easy on/off. And then adding Qi charging into the equation....those three things don't play well together.

And then I found Pitaka - they make a case that is thin, light, strong, has magnetic plates, AND allows for wireless / Qi charging, albeit with their proprietary mount. The whole deal isn't cheap (like $40 for case and similar for charger / mount), but damn - could not be happier with the setup.

Image below linked from their site.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Keep in mind that Qi charging is a lot less efficient than hard-wired, so if your output from the adapter is just what you get standard out of the little cube charger included with iPhone - 5W (5V*1.0A), you're not going to keep your metaphorical head above water. That is, screen lit up the whole time streaming mapping data....you'll be losing charge the whole time. Hence that higher power USB-C adapter I linked to above.

Given the price of a phone these days, I put mine in a case, and I greatly prefer magnetic car mounts for easy on/off. And then adding Qi charging into the equation....those three things don't play well together.

And then I found Pitaka - they make a case that is thin, light, strong, has magnetic plates, AND allows for wireless / Qi charging, albeit with their proprietary mount. The whole deal isn't cheap (like $40 for case and similar for charger / mount), but damn - could not be happier with the setup.
I was battling between the Pitaka and Scosche mount. I didn’t like that I had to add plates to my phone or case with the Scosche. Ultimately went with Scosche though because I already had a case and didn’t want to spend $80 (USD) on case and charger. You may have changed my mind though.

I did order a 24w USB for the cig plug though.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Gloss black trim conversion and MIB 2.5, got some Helix amp "weirdness" going on but already have a solution. Couple terrible pics... I'll post good ones at some point.

I know, CEL, multiple ignition on cycles while programming, without ever starting the car, always gets the light for me, it's out after a few starts/drives. And the shifter surround will be swapped when it gets delivered Monday. I tried to save some money and buy this piece on Ali... it came in, good quality (as expected, foreign market OEM) but clips/tabs don't match so it can't be installed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
The buttons (all 6 of them) are wired and will work although some of them will not perform their factory function. The buttons snap in/out when you remove the shifter trim, pretty simple. There are different part numbers for different button combinations because the individual buttons aren't replaceable. You can find the switch modules/harnesses on AliExpress, individually or in package deals. I couldn't find harnesses wired for all functions. So I ordered a couple spare harnesses and stole pins/wiring from them to build fully wired harnesses.

Left Side, top to bottom:

Mode - Factory operation, driving mode switch (driving modes were retrofitted)
Auto Start/Stop - Provisional wiring for custom operation (preliminary plan is to install this kit from Kufatec and use this button to turn on/cycle the simulated exhaust sounds... https://www.kufatec.com/en/volkswag...sound-incl.-sound-booster-for-vw-golf-7-40330 This kit is the external sound actor from the Golf GTD "Site and Sound Pack" with the addition of multiple engine sound options.
ESC Mode - Factory operation/wiring added, also had to add wiring to the ABS module

Right Side, top to bottom:

TPMS Set - Not an option in most regions, same function as TPMS Set in the infotainment, added wiring per GolfDave's DIY here... https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...fit-the-tpms-set-button-to-a-mk7-golf.338152/ Also possibly not supported by my factory 38 pin ABS Module, so I'm installing the 46 pin ABS Module
Parking Assist - Provisional wiring to open the gate to my complex
Parking Aid - Provisional wiring to open my garage
Note: The last two have been wired in a way that I could re-purpose them to their factory function IF Nuje goes through with the entire parking system retrofit and it works, at which point I may consider it.

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Sounds like a lot of work but seems worth it. I am definitely interested in getting the driving mode switch. I am guessing there's, sport, normal, and eco?

Last edited:

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
Did the 40,000 mile service today, used IDParts stuff, all went well. Reading on here helped a lot, knowing that the car will have all kinds of lights come on in the dash, just drive and wait, they'll go away.
DSG service, oil change, air and cabin filters, along with the fuel filter. No lap top, did the drain plug empty with funnel in place when transmission was warm to the touch, a bit came out, let the stream get to dripping sort of slow, reinstall big plug. Drives and shifts just like before, this is my 40 mpg work truck, perfect.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Yesterday/today... had Phase 2 A&B done on my 2015 Wagon, along with exhaust flap replacement, and the coil springs recall done. See below for the list of parts swapped out. I was hesitating to get it done given the fact that the only code I've had on the car in the last two years is the exhaust flap, and not wanting to tempt fate... but ultimately, it has to get done at some point, so just shy of 160k km, now it is done. Fingers crossed I will have no issues for a while.

Checking VCDS after Phase2 done, here is the part#/HW/version details and comparing with before.

Before:
- Control Module Part Number: 04L 906 021 C HW: 04L 907 309
- Component and/or Version: R4 2.0l TDI H23 9282

After:
- Control Module Part Number: 04L 997 022 M HW: 04L 907 309
- Component and/or Version: R4 2.0l TDI H23 9458
- Flash Status
Programming Attempts(application): 2/3/3/3/4
Successful Attempts(application): 2/3/3/3/4
Flash Date: 20.08.25

No problems so far!

mchapek

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon, 2014 Passat, 2015 Golf Sportwagen
I installed the idparts 40k kit to my new 2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen (which is putting in new DSG fluid & filter, engine oil & filter, fuel filter, engine air filter and cabin air filter this last weekend...saved a TON of $ over having VW do it. AND...I did the Throttle Response mod (see the MK 7 DIY thread, comment #21) and the Starting Vibration Reduction mod (in actuality it's deactivating the Torque Reduction setting from Strong to Deactivated... same thread, comment #29...both requiring my VAGCOM. Like the code mods...the shifting seems better, and it definitely jumps from a stop much better with the Torque Reduction switched off.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
wow, been awhile. Forgot to mention I installed the Evolution Atlas skidplate last month(that I bought last November from Cascade German), I think it was around same time I installed the Curt trailer wiring harness( I was on vacation that week). I think this is something that I'll take off before I take car in for service if possible, don't need it installed wrong or bolts stripped....

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, speaking of skid plates (and not to venture too far off-topic), I've had skid plates on my last four TDIs, and when doing service, would always take the whole skid plate off....which was always something of a hassle.

Now, maybe everyone else has discovered this and I'm just late to this party, but... working on a friend's car, one of the riv-nuts in the subframe (this was Mk4) let go, so the bolt in the back-right corner of skid plate was just spinning...couldn't get it out. After thinking for a minute or two about how to get it out, it dawned on me that I could just leave that bolt loosely holding the whole skid plate, and just pivot it around out of the way - I had the car lifted (not on ramps) so was able to swing it under the passenger side tire completely out of the way.

Reinstallation, instead of being an adventure / aggravation, was literally a pleasure. Took less than a minute to get the other four bolts in and tightened down. Spinning riv-nuts or not, this is how I'm going to work on all skid plate cars from now on.

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Put on new shoes today as the old ones had a DOT of 8 years ago. I put on the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1. These tires are under-appreciated. I got them on sale for $102.99 per tire and it's a high performance all seasons tires. I am not too sure how common all-season high-performance tires are but in BC, Canada, the weather here can get wet here as well as hot so I love that get the best of both worlds. It's only been 24 hours but I am impressed so far. I love how the tire treads are designed as it allows your tires to grip the corners. I will give it more time and report on it more so.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's like Cuzoe and I are starting to gain a reputation around here. ;)

As "interesting" as that looks, the thought of LCD touch-screen "sliders" to make HVAC adjustments is one of the worst "innovations" to come to cars. Dial for fan, dial for temp, buttons for where you want the air blown - all of which you can do pretty much without even looking at it.

So, I'm a hard "pass" on it.

Given the current smoke here from the West Coast wild fires, though....probably could make use of this CLEAN AIR button. :)

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
As "interesting" as that looks, the thought of LCD touch-screen "sliders" to make HVAC adjustments is one of the worst "innovations" to come to cars. Dial for fan, dial for temp, buttons for where you want the air blown - all of which you can do pretty much without even looking at it.
Oh, I completely agree that it's a functional downgrade. It just looks cool.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Yea... outside of the touch vs real buttons there are a few other issues I would have with this thing, at least in my car since I don't have dual zone climatronic. There would be some permanent faults from missing sensors/hardware, temperature can be synced but it wouldn't be dual zone, we don't get the "clean air" function here so that would be non-functional, and it's missing the Max A/C button (granted that can be set manually).

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I switched to the all touch infotainment and found I don't miss the volume knob, mostly because using it also meant the power symbol wouldn't be vertical which is... unacceptable. On the A/C controls the only thing I really adjust is fan speed which I guess would be regulated by the temp sensors... how could one go about retrofitting the clean air option... Nuje!

I'll add some pictures on my phone to keep on topic with the thread. Not today but I began doing quite a few things... front fogs, Adaptive Cruise Control, Parking Aid/Assist, EcoHitch (not thrilled about how this arrived, probably wouldn't buy again), and some other things that will be pictured later.

Also, foolishly, starting down the journey towards Dynamic Chassis Control retrofit ?‍♂

Edit: Turns out that I only ever added pictures using Tapatalk. What's the next easiest way to host/post pictures?

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I switched to the all touch infotainment and found I don't miss the volume knob, mostly because using it also meant the power symbol wouldn't be vertical which is... unacceptable.
There is a non-zero number of...let's say "heated discussions" in the car, which have come about from my wife making volume adjustments, resulting in this crime against humanity: