What did you do to your MK7 today?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Did the DSG oil change, first one was made by the dealer before I bought the car.

I wanted to be able to do it myself, so I can do it once a year.

Bought the tool for bottom fill, the fill hole was waaaaay to small. Took 1h for 1liter (-9c outside)
Decided to use the top fill method, from the filter hole.
Took 20min per liter. Did the engine oil change meanwhile.

Started the car on jack stand, waited for it to reach 35c like specified.

Removed drain plug, waited for excess to flush. That part was shady, laying under a running car...

From there everything went smoothly, I used the opportunity to remove all the plastic protector pan for the next step on the next day....

I want to keep this car for many year, and I don't want it "repaired" when rust WILL appear.

Everything rust on salty Quebec road.

https://youtu.be/ElsrN0NnBgc

Oil for inner panel, grease for exposed area.

Reinstalled the plastic pan today, she good to go!
Preheating oil to 140ish degrees helps the top fill method. It takes 5 min per liter that way. I always just put all 5 liters in with new filter doing top fill. Easy and no BS.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
That and if you're filling from the bottom, leave the filter off it doubles up as a vent and I had much faster flowing that way (the stock vent is kinda of restrictive).

I leave the bottom fill tool connected and to a container while it gets up to temp, that way you can drain the excess back into the container, no splashing and you can really make sure it's full. Only down side is my fill tool doesn't have a slip ring coupler so the hose gets all twisted up when unthreading.

Either way a nice project and good time of year to do it.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
What type of oil & grease did you use? Our Michigan roads are almost as bad and I'd like to slow down the corrosion if possible.
I had it done by a nearby garage, they kept the car inside for the night so it can melt/dry and they did it morning after. Forgot to ask the brand.

They still miss some spot.
They won't remove plastic plastic skid plate. I forgot to remove one, they didn't spray there at all.

https://youtu.be/Gw_0Df9udU0

Might do it myself next year.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I'd be more concerned about the parts that are NOT exposed, but yet get the salt-water treatment. There's a sponge behind the plastic wheel-well liners that stays nice and soggy.
(Second photo is me squeezing water out of the "sponge" sound deadener...three good squeezes and I could still get liquid muck out of it...and this was after ~10days of dry weather).

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Will VW never learn about using sponge as a sound deadener? With their 12 year rust warranty, those sponges have probably cost them millions...

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Will VW never learn about using sponge as a sound deadener? With their 12 year rust warranty, those sponges have probably cost them millions...

A lot of companies use sponges like that for sound dampening. Probably cheaper for them to use the sponge than like dynamat. Since not all cars go to places where rust is an issue.

Gm uses a mesh type material for sound dampening as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that and VW cut their corrosion warranty to 120K or 12 years or something like that, previous it was unlimited mileage and 12 years.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Completed my 40,000-mile services today. Took me a month from start to finish due to my other distractions. This service included oil and filter change, flushing the brakes, and new street tires due to premature wear from poor alignment on the JSW that I sold back to VW. Interestingly, the battery checked out with better numbers than last services despite being completely dead while parked for weeks outside last winter. My final three tasks today was fuel filter replacement, door hinge and checks clean and lube, and re-scanning with VCDS to see if certain faults returned (they didn't). Onward for another 10,000.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What exactly do you do with the door hinges? I always see that on the maintenance checklist and look at my driver door hinge and say, "meh - looks OK, I guess(?)."

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not exactly today, but a few days ago....dynamic lights on the side mirrors.

HUGE visibility upgrade over the previous mirror signal lights (which, I didn't realize, were REALLY dim - they came in the folding mirrors).

(And yes, the amber blinker in the driver-side mirror is still installed and working....that's how not-bright they both were).

Last edited:

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
What exactly do you do with the door hinges? I always see that on the maintenance checklist and look at my driver door hinge and say, "meh - looks OK, I guess(?)."
Clean if necessary and then blast it with grease. VW seems to think that it needs done more frequent than I do. Maybe for more wet climates. I have a 23-year-old pickup that could have used more grease so I'm trying to stay on top of this TDI to see if the hinges age better.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Powerflex dogbone insert (diesel specific), was on a pre-black Friday sale somewhere. First impression... entirely too much vibration and noise, could see/feel it in the steering wheel and rear view mirror :( After about 150 miles, still has the same noise but the vibration is nearly gone, can't see it in the steering wheel/mirror anymore. Can still feel it a bit in the wheel. My wife did not notice the vibration at this point but did complain about the noise (I did not let her in the car for the first 150ish miles, she would have driven the car back to the shop herself).

The dogbone bolt is new (provided it to the shop) but I am going to check the torque on it in the next 100 miles. Lots of folks on GolfMk7 complained about awful vibration/noise initially and found that properly torquing (and the additional 90deg) the bolt fixed it for them. Presumably the gassers don't vibrate like the diesel anyway. Idle can be raised by no more than 50rpm with VCDS/OBDeleven on the gassers, I may see if it can be done on the TDI. Hopefully won't even be necessary after re-torque and another few hundred miles.

Driving impressions... :D:D:D The car feels as "connected" as my rattle trap Mk4 GTI now. Rowing through the gears at idle is easier (I have the diesel geek sigma 6). It's now notchy in a good way. IF the noise comes down and I leave the insert installed I probably won't install the shifter bracket bushings and dieselgeek Superpin that I have in my garage. The Superpin addresses side-side movement of the shifter but that movement is much less bothersome with how easy it is to get through gears now. I actually like the sound of the engine now as well. I typically short shift, just after the car's ridiculous suggestions, but I've found myself winding to 4k+ (even though the car is out of wind by that point) since having the insert installed. I'm currently on the stock tune but I can't wait to re-flash my Kerma tune.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I don't know if this reply is going to show up because this specific thread doesn't seem to play nice with Tapatalk but... Found the source of the noise when I went to check the torque on the dog-bone bolt. I set my torque wrench to 90 foot pounds and got the click. Spec is 90 foot pounds plus 90 degrees so I'll give the shop the benefit of the doubt and assume they also did the 90.

As you can see in the pictures (which are pretty bad admittedly), the bushing that holds the insert is making contact with the OEM heavy duty skid plate I have installed. Nothing a Dremel and some sandpaper won't fix. the skid plate is pretty stout and the half circle I'm going to cut out is relatively centered between two reinforced attaching points. I expect the vibrations to continue to come down in the next few hundred miles. Started the car without the skid plate installed and the noise that was annoying me is completely gone.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Edit: fixed, not the prettiest job but it'll do.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you're brave for trying a dogbone insert, let us know how it holds up over the next 10-20K miles.

I also saw the DIY for that superpin, that's a very very involved process to remove some plastic induced slop, all the more kudos if you pull it off.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Don't know if I'm brave or crazy, haha. Significant other will not approve of the added vibration and to be honest I'm not sure that I could deal it with it long term I'm willing to give it 500 miles to calm down, otherwise it's coming out. Might take me a while as my commute is less than 5 miles round trip (I typically don't drive the TDI to work because of this, at a much more TDI suitable commute before we moving last year, buddy 5 minute commute in Los Angeles is amazing).

And yes I really don't want to remove center console for the super pin. If I ever decide to do it I will be removing seats and carpet to do full vehicle sound treatment; not something I feel his car needs but if I'm going to be in there...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
5 minute commute in Los Angeles is amazing
Sure is. That must be to the end of your block. This past summer my daughter was commuting from downtown to West LA. 11 miles, typically took a little over an hour.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Don't know if I'm brave or crazy, haha. Significant other will not approve of the added vibration and to be honest I'm not sure that I could deal it with it long term I'm willing to give it 500 miles to calm down, otherwise it's coming out. Might take me a while as my commute is less than 5 miles round trip (I typically don't drive the TDI to work because of this, at a much more TDI suitable commute before we moving last year, buddy 5 minute commute in Los Angeles is amazing).

And yes I really don't want to remove center console for the super pin. If I ever decide to do it I will be removing seats and carpet to do full vehicle sound treatment; not something I feel his car needs but if I'm going to be in there...

Dang, 5 minute commute. I'd ride a bicycle.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Sure is. That must be to the end of your block. This past summer my daughter was commuting from downtown to West LA. 11 miles, typically took a little over an hour.
I have a 30 mile commute. Takes 28 to 32 minutes. If i was in LA or anywhere without snow itd be a motorcycle.

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
Got rid of OEM tires at 30k miles and replaced with a set of Michelin A/S3+. They certainly ride much better than factory Contis.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
-20c today (-4f) perfect day to pick up frozen food for the dog!

Wouldn't that all fit in the back of your T'reg? You could roll down the windows and turn off the heat to keep it frozen. The seat heaters would be your friend!

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Dang, 5 minute commute. I'd ride a bicycle.
I do ride a bike sometimes. I walk sometimes as well. My previous commute was 13ish miles but could be up to an hour. I was in school at the time though and that was a 37 mile, 2 hour drive so I used to drive the TDI regularly. With the deal I got on it, the price of gas and the poor mileage/unrefined ride of my 220k mile Mk4 GTI the Mk7 TDI was perfect. It doesn't make sense now but a sub $200 a month car note with a no interest loan makes it hard to sell, not to mention all the money I've thrown into retrofits/mods.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Was at the drive-thru today and heard a rhythmic tapping sound that went away when I released the brake. I then remembered my belly pan is missing the three larger T40 torx screws. Anyone know the thread size? Google images (IDParts, etc) show they look like standard thread and not sheet metal screws.

I’ve also noticed what sounds like rocks/loose heat shield. I went under and couldn’t find anything loose. Hoping I don’t have a failing DMF.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Drove it to work today. Realized my bad tail light is likely my right turn signal so I’ll be ordering, or going to the parts store to get some more bulbs. Probably should do wiper blades soon too as they are both not working like I’d like. That being said I dont know how old they are as the car has only been mine less than a year and I haven’t switched them out.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Just finished changing out rear pads on rotors on the '15 GSW. The rotors were quite pitted, and pads were more than 1/2 gone at 43k... Thankfully I bought the Metalnerd triple square set last year, didn't know the caliper carrier had triple square bolts. They were a ***** to break free, but have anti-seize on them now so won't be a problem in future.