What did you do to your MK7 today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drove it! I parked it and canceled insurance in April after its state inspection. Haven't driven it since. It ran great today, needs fuel. Last fill was March 28. Maybe I should drive it more.

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GolfS, GTI 18s, H&R springs, Stage 2
Drove it! I parked it and canceled insurance in April after its state inspection. Haven't driven it since. It ran great today, needs fuel. Last fill was March 28. Maybe I should drive it more.
Letting it sit for that long is very bad, seals dry out and diesel goes bad which causes more problems than old gasoline. My 2JZ-GTE now smokes very bad when I first start it because it sat too long and the valve seals dried out so now I'm looking at an expensive job of replacing 24 valve seals!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I disagree. It's fine. A consequence of owning too many cars is sometimes the sit. They're always inside in a dry environment and I use battery tenders religiously. And although I haven't driven the GSW since April, I did start it and move it around a couple times during that period. My B4 and Mercedes typically sit for most of the winter. And my BMW frequently sits, although not for more than a few weeks at a time. I'm not concerned. Maybe your valve guides were at the end of their life anyway.

We have a B4V in the IDParts warehouse that was last refueled in 2010. Charge the battery and it starts and runs fine. I think diesel is a lot more robust than unleaded gasoline these days.

I do agree that the best thing you can do with an ICE car is drive it. But that's not always possible.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Drove to work, then home. Fueled up just shy of 9 gallons for somewhere around $3.69 a gallon. Gotta love Cali fuel prices.

Might take it back down the mountain to the local town to sell a gaming monitor for a pc and the stock headlights for my mk7 golf... if both buyers keep up their ends lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
The whole west coast is too high, I went on vacation earlier this year to the Nortwest and had to pay over $1 a gallon more in Washington and Oregon than in the other states.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Letting it sit for that long is very bad, seals dry out and diesel goes bad which causes more problems than old gasoline. My 2JZ-GTE now smokes very bad when I first start it because it sat too long and the valve seals dried out so now I'm looking at an expensive job of replacing 24 valve seals!
god help Peter's GSW cause it "sat two years" in VWoA rented non-climate controlled parking lot before he bough it, same with out '15 Passat.

I will blame that "sitting" with the need to replace the rotors in under 40K.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Washed it for the first time in I dont know a month in a half maybe two? Cleaned the panels off inside of dust as I live down a dirt road. Cleaned the windows, treated the leather with wipes and cleaned off the Weather Tech floor liners. So glad I bought a white car lmao. Probably took a pound or two of dirt and grime off of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Picked this set up on eBay for like $30. They didn't look great over the black plastic background so I vinyl wrapped it.

I have no idea how this one got inverted when saving it to my album:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I set up my 40k service and DSG service at my dealer for Oct 3rd:rolleyes:, we'll see how it goes. May have to ask if they can do anything about rear rotors, quite pitted up:mad:....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i'm sure they'll take care of those rear rotors, for about $3-400.

How much they getting you for the 40K service?

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I set up my 40k service and DSG service at my dealer for Oct 3rd:rolleyes:, we'll see how it goes. May have to ask if they can do anything about rear rotors, quite pitted up:mad:....
I am curious as well. Ill be coming up on 80k here soon. Normally have the dealer do my oil changes, and I was thinking about doing the DSG myself as well as the fuel filter. I have VCDS so I can do it all by the book from what I understand, but there is something to be said with how busy I am to not have to do it. Heck, haven't even gotten under this car since I got it in mid January. That is very unlike me lol. My truck I was under it once a month for uniball lubing and ball joints since I was running extra travel. BMW before that for all oil changes and bushing checks.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just did the 40K on our alltrack 99% the same except oil filter is up top and no fuel filter. Took about 2-3 hrs with dinner mixed in the middle.

Only pain for the MQB is removing the battery tray, including the batter terminals zip tied to it, there's 3 bolts and a nut way out back by the firewall, took some futzing to get the wire loom out of the way to remove the tray, other than that DSG fluid is a piece of cake.
Also I recommend filling the DSG before you replace the filter/housing, (leave the housing open to air) i did that on our passat and it seemed like fluid flowed way faster (prob quarter of the time) than if you place the filter/cap back on.

I do recommend doing it on a relatively warm/freshly driven car, if you're quick enough for both oil and DSG (if you over fill and drain) it doesn't take very long at idle to get the DSG fluid back up to temp. I wait until the oil temp gets back up to +150F and drain the excess away.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
please tell me you didn't waste your money on an AGM battery.

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
please tell me you didn't waste your money on an AGM battery.
Why do you feel that way? I have had excellent luck with AGM batteries, no corrosion on terminals and longer life. I have used Optima and Intimidator batteries for 20 years and will never buy anything else.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
i'm sure they'll take care of those rear rotors, for about $3-400.

How much they getting you for the 40K service?
I set the appointment up online, I went with manufacturer recommended one(even though dealer recommended one was same price). The only thing I found strange was that the air filter wasn't on list to replace.Cabin,fuel,oil and DSG filter were on my bill. The 40k service, including DSG service(fluid/filter), along with keyfob battery, my total was just over $587 with tax. I was hoping that the rear pads/rotors could've been replaced under my Allstate extended warranty, but was told no since they are a wear item. The estimate for rear pads/rotors was $453, I declined;). After I got done at dealer, I went up road to Delta Sonic and got it washed and an interior detail:D.....

T4RBoarder

TDI
'15 GSW SEL 6-spd "Diego"
Got some 15% tint all the way around today as well as dropped the winter wheels on early (PO managed to bend all four wheels, that's a later story). It's very nice to not melt as well as not have an annoying vibration at most speeds.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why do you feel that way? I have had excellent luck with AGM batteries, no corrosion on terminals and longer life. I have used Optima and Intimidator batteries for 20 years and will never buy anything else.
To me the added cost of AGM over a larger jane plane FLA isn't worth it. AGM is more suited for start stop (that's why VW incudes it in those cars), without that system i think it's just money wasted.

if it's proven an AGM can last 2-3 more years than a larger FLA that I may consider it.

Last edited:

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
To me the added cost of AGM over a larger jane plane FLA isn't worth it. AGM is more suited for start stop (that's why VW incudes it in those cars), without that system i think it's just money wasted.

if it's proven an AGM can last 2-3 more years than a larger FLA that I may consider it.
I don't know where you are buying yours but an AGM isn't much more than a similar spec wet battery and I have gotten longer life from the ones I have had plus less maintenance makes it well worth it to me.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
165 for FLA, 200 for AGM from the FLAPS, H6 similar CCA ~730, that's 20% more $, does that also equate to >20% more life from the battery?

Also what maintenance on a modern FLA battery? This isn't the 70s. Most of the I've heard someone cracking the safety seals on a VW OEM battery to add water, they've then over boiled and leaked acid all over the battery tray/wiring harness.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Installed 3m Sctochgard Pro headlight protection film on my headlights this morning. Washed the car, tossed a sticker on for a group my buddies are forming.

Last edited:

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
165 for FLA, 200 for AGM from the FLAPS, H6 similar CCA ~730, that's 20% more $, does that also equate to >20% more life from the battery?

Also what maintenance on a modern FLA battery? This isn't the 70s. Most of the I've heard someone cracking the safety seals on a VW OEM battery to add water, they've then over boiled and leaked acid all over the battery tray/wiring harness.
I get my AGMs for about $180 and you do not get corrosion on the terminals and cable connections like you do with a conventional style battery. I have never gotten any corrosion problems with AGM batteries so no more corroded battery trays either. ;)