What did you do to your MK7 today?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
[soft-cog wheel] is the resistance spur gear that goes in track of the glove box so it's not a plop when you open it.
I have seen and noted that little "soft-opening" mechanism - had no idea what it was called; thanks!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Switched back to stock summer tires(ecopias), I like the looks of the 18" Detroits I have, but don't like the mpg kill they do....

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017

Where's a mic-drop emoji when you need one? :D
Is this an easy mod? I'd like to do it, but it seems the wiring is not there and somewhat difficult to do. Advice or a link appreciated. Thanks.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$20 gets you four lights (for all four doors; I only did the two front), plus four wires (which are all too short; I needed to snip-and-splice/extend the lead and ground in each door).
(Aliexpress is your buddy.:D )

Installation was done while I was putting in the folding mirrors, so it wasn't too much added hassle with the door panels already taken off.

Flip a couple bits with VCDS, and you're all set.

Good .pdf from someone over on Vortex (is where I think I got it).

One thing that differed on my install was that I didn't have a wire in position 16 - not sure why that was.

The folding mirrors have puddle lights, too, and those light up now, too - not sure which part of the process enabled that, but I'll take it.

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE w/ Lighting Package
$20 gets you four lights (for all four doors; I only did the two front), plus four wires (which are all too short; I needed to snip-and-splice/extend the lead and ground in each door).
(Aliexpress is your buddy.:D )

Installation was done while I was putting in the folding mirrors, so it wasn't too much added hassle with the door panels already taken off.

Flip a couple bits with VCDS, and you're all set.

Good .pdf from someone over on Vortex (is where I think I got it).

One thing that differed on my install was that I didn't have a wire in position 16 - not sure why that was.

The folding mirrors have puddle lights, too, and those light up now, too - not sure which part of the process enabled that, but I'll take it.
Plug N' Play or do they require a bit of wiring?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Look at the .pdf linked in there - it explains the wiring very well.

Not exactly plug and play because we don't have the necessary wires from the factory, but on a scale of "I blinked and it was done" to "OMG - I've got a nest of wires and I have no idea what goes where", it's a lot closer to the former.

Wiring took me maybe 20minutes per side, including wrapping them up with the existing harness.

One issue, though, is that the little tabs on the puddle lights that snap against the plastic of the door card to hold it in place aren't nearly deep enough to hold the lights in place. I ended up putting some clear Goop (silicone epoxy) around the periphery of the puddle lights and holding them in place with gaffer's tape overnight. No residue, and they're not budging (but I could still pry them out if I needed to).

Beeah

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSWs 6MT | 02 Jetta TDI(Sold)
I installed a hitch on my 15 GSW manual from IDParts. It was kind of a pain in the butt but eventually got it in and all torqued down. Excited to have this installed as it open a TON more options on the utility side of the car. I have a little 5x8 single axle trailer I pull for the dirty stuff and toys.

Now to just buy the adapter to go to 2" from 1 1/4"!

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
I installed a hitch on my 15 GSW manual from IDParts. It was kind of a pain in the butt but eventually got it in and all torqued down. Excited to have this installed as it open a TON more options on the utility side of the car. I have a little 5x8 single axle trailer I pull for the dirty stuff and toys.

Now to just buy the adapter to go to 2" from 1 1/4"!
Bosal?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Bosal stopped making hitches, westfailia is the only game in town but sadly idparts doesn't seem interested in stocking them, can't blame them for dwindling GWS market.

pfjones is a great source for euro tow stuff, but they get you on shipping to the US. They only over night stuff, which gets pricey once you factor in 4-60lbs of steel.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Bosal stopped making hitches, westfailia is the only game in town but sadly idparts doesn't seem interested in stocking them, can't blame them for dwindling GWS market.
"Bosal" hitches are still produced, but the company sold that division to a private investor who doesn't want to wholesale. And we are interested in Westfalia hitches, but that company was recently purchased and the new owners haven't figured out what they bought yet, or if the hitches are DOT compliant.

The auto parts aftermarket has been going through a rash of divestiture and consolidation in recent years. Causes a lot of problems with companies wholesaling to distributors and resellers. And I don't think the trend is going to stop anytime soon.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting news, thanks for the updates.

When PFjones pulled Bosal i figured they folded their hitch devision, my guess is that Tesla bought bosal as they used them on their Model X.

Also, I don't think bosal or westies were ever DOT complaint anyways.

Also the picture you guys have listed for the curt hitch for the GSW seems way wrong, I did a few head scratches wondering what model that was actually for.

https://www.idparts.com/trailer-hitch-ball-mount-mk7-golf-sportwagen-p-11170.html

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Tesla didn't buy Bosal's hitch division, unless they funded the private capital firm that did. Which, I suppose, is possible.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Now try resizing your pics to 800x600 or a clickable pic to the larger version so you don't blow the margins out on the thread page. Common courtesy to do here so it makes the thread easier to read as you don't have to scroll the page back and forth.

Good work though!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you resize those photos?
The page width is completely blown out with them at that resolution.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tesla didn't buy Bosal's hitch division, unless they funded the private capital firm that did. Which, I suppose, is possible.

oh im pretty sure they didn't, i'm just speculating in my fictional world.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Spent the whole Sunday dismantling everything including the axle to take out the coil for my H&R spring.

A strut mounts bolt was spinning freely and I had to cut it to remove the coil, also had to wait until monday for a new strut Mount...

But in the end, it was worth it.

For reference:
Wheels: Alzor 881 18"x8.5" ET45*
Tires: Falken AZENIS FK510 235/40 R18
Spring: H&R Sport 54788

Last edited:

Homerjj

TDI
1984 Jetta Turbodiesel, 1983 Caddy AAZ, 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
Got my Ross Tech cable last week. I disabled the Starting Vibration & did the throttle tweak.

What the difference!! :) Not quite a Tune, but it made a pile of difference in torque and eliminated that dead spot in the throttle.

Anything else I should be tweaking or adjusting?

Aivars

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Installed a 18z brake kit from Rotorlab this week. Huge increase in braking and a super simple install. Our TDIs have the same steel knuckles found on previous gen VWs, so the kit bolts up just fine. Super happy with the looks and performance.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Did some troubleshooting and learned that my rear hatch [GSW] isn't locked when I lock the car. The horn beeps to say the car is locked. Nothing else indicates it isn't working normally. It has only been doing this for a couple of weeks. Any hints?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, KESSY. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I tried lock with the key fob, but the hatch still doesn't lock. If the car is locked and I open the hatch, when I close it the horn beeps to show locking is enabled. Still, though, the hatch can be opened without even the alarm going off.