What did you do to your MK7 today?

nsocwx

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen S
3 days into TDI ownership: 2015 GSW with 500 miles is telling me to "Reduce oil level!"

I guess it's a tiny bit over the 'D' area on the dipsick.. sigh. Oil does smell a bit like Diesel exhaust. Is that normal?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Oil will smell like soot yes, that is the purpose and importance of using diesel specific oil...to capture and keep the soot suspended. And, if the dealer overfilled it will give that warning. Not uncommon unfortunately. There is a combined temperature/level sensor in the pan for that purpose and you can even read the level in VCDS.

nsocwx

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen S
Oil will smell like soot yes, that is the purpose and importance of using diesel specific oil...too capture and keep the soot suspended. And, if the dealer overfilled it will give that warning. Not uncommon unfortunately. There is a combined temperature/level sensor in the pan for that purpose and you can even read the level in VCDS.
Thanks for the info sir! It wasn't on for my commute this morning, but I'm sure it will return next time I drive a longer distance. I'll just pull a little bit out and set the level correctly on the stick since that's too hard for the dealer to do ;)

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GolfS, GTI 18s, H&R springs, Stage 2
Thanks for the info sir! It wasn't on for my commute this morning, but I'm sure it will return next time I drive a longer distance. I'll just pull a little bit out and set the level correctly on the stick since that's too hard for the dealer to do ;)
I had the same problem after my first service, seems there is a specific procedure for refilling the oil during service, and if it is not followed exactly, you will have the problem you are experiencing. When I got back from my vacation trip I told my dealer what happened, and they have done 2 services since with no issues. In case you haven't been told there is only a couple of oils that meet VW's specs, one is the Castrol that the dealer sells, and the other is a foreign brand that I never heard of that I found at the local NAPA store which was more expensive than the Castrol. I hope this helps. :)

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Idparts stocks several flavors of 507 for these cars. I usually just get the cheapest either liqui-moly or total recently for the GSW.
On a sidenote, I use Mobil1 TDT 5w-40 in my '15 Golf (same oil I use in my ALH Jetta) with fantastic results. Upgraded exhaust and no post-injection to worry about though, so no 507 needed ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
I would suggest using VW spec oil while in warranty, just in-case. ;)

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
I second this. We had a 2000 Passat with the stupid turbocharged Audi engine and the tiny oil pan. At about 40,000 miles, the oil sludged and bricked the engine. We did dealership service for every oil change, but one dealership service was done with the oil grade not indicated on the paper, so VWoA refused to cover the new engine under warranty.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Oil results with TDT are amazing. Not many other UOAs on the EA288s to compare with though.
And no warranty for me anymore, just hit 60k miles. This car was purchased used and restitution was not enough for me to want to convert back to stock to get the "fix". No HPFP, DPF, or DMF to worry about on this Golf any longer.

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
I washed the golf and scrubbed the exhaust tips with Barkeepers Friend, followed by a bit of metal polish and they look great. I should have started to do this sooner.

I also installed BMS short throw clutch stop:

Pulled the OEM clutch stop and replaced it with BMS

What a difference, if your cursed with being short, the clutch stop really reduced the length of the clutch pedal travel. The clutch still fully disengages when pressed in, its just a shorter distance. It feels so much more comfortable. I did however, take 2 of rings off.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
What's the idea with the clutch stop?
Just keeps the pedal from going all the way down, but does go far enough to disengage? If that's so what's the need?

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
What's the idea with the clutch stop?
Just keeps the pedal from going all the way down, but does go far enough to disengage? If that's so what's the need?
Yes, the clutch does disengage completely.
The need? Some people have 31" inseams, so it makes driving more comfortable. Did you not read my post?:)

Last edited:

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Thanks,
I did read but didn't quite understand.
I do understand the clutch is fully disengaged some distance before reaching the stop/floor.

I rarely depress the clutch to the floor myself, mostly just for starting the car.
Don't see the need to change out the stop if it doesn't change anything about how the clutch operates. No need to press it to the stop, factory or otherwise, for every shift, just press enough to ensure full disengagement.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I could have sworn that I looked for such a stop when I upgraded my clutch. The new clutch was not fully disengaging, just barely. I had to play with first and reverse to get it to engage. Now that it's broken in it gets in gear mostly fine. But, I am going to play with the stock stop and see if I can get just a bit removed from it to have it disengage just a tiny bit more! Thanks for the post, I would not have looked again!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
Drove home from dealership. 2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. White/Black. 138 miles :D Naturally took long way home.
So getting it home , get her up on car lift. I had to clean backside of wheels , just had to. But I have to report , it very clean overall. Nothing underneath looks like it's been sitting. Kinda looks like it's been sitting a month in a driveway. I am very pleased.
Dave

Last edited:

CruisingWagon

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI S
Happy to see the MK7 forum get a breath of life with all the new owners of 2015 TDI's.

Congrats to all of you on your "new" diesels. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about what each of you are doing in this thread and others.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
3D floor mats from a company called Findway , $100 for 4 corners, and was 15 to mail.
nice "carpet look" vs rubber truck mat looking ,
Bi Xenon look headlights arrived from BEC auto parts ,
Will toss the OEM tires at the dealer for Michelin Primacy,, they were the first thing I did with a Passat..Best decision ever, instant feel difference,, I even tried the Defenders,, took them back in ten min, Primacy was that much nicer a tire..

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I bought the same floor mats. Super fast shipping and I really like the carpet look vs the plastic of the Weathertech. That they were less than half the price was a bonus.

I also ordered a rubber truck liner from Travall. I considered the plastic one from the dealer but figured it would be a bit slippery.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
For a rear mat, I use a waterbed liner,so it has sides, keeps soil in etc, had it since 03, works great, But I found a rubber floor out of a van in the auto upick,$5 so will trim it down to fit, I put felt carpet underlay under the last cars mat,and put whatever house insulation I could in the wheel wells behing the gray trim panels and it quietens the road noise

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
After reading on this forum about too long rear hatch license plate screws. I took them out. It's almost like guy at dealer knew they where too long and did not tighten to touch paint .

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
Introduction: we where couple months out on 16' GSW TDI, SLE, 6MT , Gray when poop hit the fan .
Just picked up 15' GSW, TDI , S, 6MT , white/black. Had 132 miles on it. My first VW. Been around Diesel trucks & pickups a lot. So now not counting my pickup or my wife's cars. I own 6 wagons. Nothing wrong with me. :D
Future will be Tint, offset front plate, Skid plate, Ventvisors , Exhaust tips, Hood guard.
Maybe 3M paint protection film.
NYS new Tint laws suck, probably do it anyway
Skid Plate. I will getting first 10,000 mile service out of dealer. How has it worked for you guys with Skid Plate ? Access is same as VW plastic Plate ?
Black hood guard, Tint & ventvisors going to look ok on white car ?
I remember back in 15' reading a ton of posts on TDI break in. Not so much any more. I am a believer in breaking in a new Diesel with regard to how you wish it to preform. My old boss would by a brand new Dozer. Let it sit in front on shop until there was a big dirt pushing job, not a grading dirt job. Another guy bought 3 new Mack Triaxle dumps. One of his drivers, drives like a olde lady. To this day , his truck has no balls compared to the other two.
Needless to say , there is no sense checking my fuel mileage for awhile...

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
Introduction: we where couple months out on 16' GSW TDI, SLE, 6MT , Gray when poop hit the fan .
Just picked up 15' GSW, TDI , S, 6MT , white/black. Had 132 miles on it. My first VW. Been around Diesel trucks & pickups a lot. So now not counting my pickup or my wife's cars. I own 6 wagons. Nothing wrong with me. :D
Future will be Tint, offset front plate, Skid plate, Ventvisors , Exhaust tips, Hood guard.
Maybe 3M paint protection film.
NYS new Tint laws suck, probably do it anyway
Skid Plate. I will getting first 10,000 mile service out of dealer. How has it worked for you guys with Skid Plate ? Access is same as VW plastic Plate ?
Black hood guard, Tint & ventvisors going to look ok on white car ?
I remember back in 15' reading a ton of posts on TDI break in. Not so much any more. I am a believer in breaking in a new Diesel with regard to how you wish it to preform. My old boss would by a brand new Dozer. Let it sit in front on shop until there was a big dirt pushing job, not a grading dirt job. Another guy bought 3 new Mack Triaxle dumps. One of his drivers, drives like a olde lady. To this day , his truck has no balls compared to the other two.
Needless to say , there is no sense checking my fuel mileage for awhile...
If by black hood guard, you mean a bra, don't do it! They do more damage than good, fine dirt gets under them then rubs on your paint ruining it. A clear bra is the way to go, almost invisble protection that far outlasts the old vinyl bras. That is why you don't see them on cars as much any more.

As for breakin, I agree completely, as long as you wait for oil pressure to circulate before putting your foot in it, you will not hurt it, drive it like you stole it. :D My 15 has 3100 miles on it with a Malone tune, and doesn't burn a drop of oil, is wicked fast, and averages 40mpg in mostly city driving. I hope you love your TDI as much as I love mine. :cool:

P. S. Don't forget to let it cool down after driving hard before shutting off, turbos are expensive!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
remote window and sunroof control

I made the changes in VCDS to enable remote key fob control of ALL windows, down/up , and it also controls the sunroof pop up/close function at the same time.

Just in time for this hot sunny Summer. What a car! I'll make a movie one of these days :D

Next target, rain sensing windows up function!

New '15 GSW TDI not reflected in the information to the left...less than one week old!

Last edited:

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
This afternoon on way home from Tint Shop. 70 MPH on Interstate . Semi in right lane blows tractor drive tire. Car in middle lane hits tire casing. Flips into passing lane where I am. F-250 in front of me swerves onto shoulder sideways with rocks flying. As I look Tire is 3-4 ft high. Thank god it was on road when I went over it.
Less than 300 miles on 15' TDI , S, 6 MT. Got off and stopped at Trooper Barrecks for accident report. Not yet in NYS DMV system with temp registration . Bumper cover, spoiler, who knows what underneath, and peeled rear bumper cover partially off on way out.
Lady pulled in with Mini-Cooper right after me with a little black mark on fender from same tire.
As I left Trooper, Spolier folded under, skidded 3 miles to best Body Shop in our County. Doors open, they heard me coming.
) Tint looks good.
) Typing this next to note pad with Skid Plate info. Was to be next purchase .
) **** happens, glad I did not go up and hit a windshield, or motorcycle
) So if Bumper cover & Spoiler get replaced ? Should I think about upgrade looks of GTI or R ? I have not that got far in research . Was eventually thinking of headlight upgrade.
) Cocktail mixed

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Sorry to read of your <300 mile incident, but glad to read that no apparent major damage. And some ask why a skid plate is needed.

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
This afternoon on way home from Tint Shop. 70 MPH on Interstate . Semi in right lane blows tractor drive tire. Car in middle lane hits tire casing. Flips into passing lane where I am. F-250 in front of me swerves onto shoulder sideways with rocks flying. As I look Tire is 3-4 ft high. Thank god it was on road when I went over it.
Less than 300 miles on 15' TDI , S, 6 MT. Got off and stopped at Trooper Barrecks for accident report. Not yet in NYS DMV system with temp registration . Bumper cover, spoiler, who knows what underneath, and peeled rear bumper cover partially off on way out.
Lady pulled in with Mini-Cooper right after me with a little black mark on fender from same tire.
As I left Trooper, Spolier folded under, skidded 3 miles to best Body Shop in our County. Doors open, they heard me coming.
) Tint looks good.
) Typing this next to note pad with Skid Plate info. Was to be next purchase .
) **** happens, glad I did not go up and hit a windshield, or motorcycle
) So if Bumper cover & Spoiler get replaced ? Should I think about upgrade looks of GTI or R ? I have not that got far in research . Was eventually thinking of headlight upgrade.
) Cocktail mixed
Pics, or it didn't happen, LOL! Do the headlights! I upgraded to projectors on my Golf, and I can't believe the difference, I can see now! I just did my wife's Jetta, too and went to led bulbs instead of the HIDs my Golf has, and even better. The projectors really put the light where it's needed, and the LEDs produce more of it efficiently. Sorry to hear about your bad luck, I would go with the GTI/GTD bumper, and a GTD grill, I have the grill, but can't afford the bumper right now. I have the GTD power, and grill, but not quite all the way there till I can get the bumper.;)

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
Sorry to read of your <300 mile incident, but glad to read that no apparent major damage. And some ask why a skid plate is needed.

Actually a Gator is about as bad as one would expect to have happen to the underbelly of the car in daily driving and it came through with some damage but the important parts protected by the little plastic shields were protected. It did its job and cements me not really needing a heavier skid plate. To each their own though.

Very sorry to hear of this happening. I had that happen on my Honda Fit. TT tire ripped the front bumper cover off and the plastic underbody. Was a little scary.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Pics, or it didn't happen, LOL! Do the headlights! I upgraded to projectors on my Golf, and I can't believe the difference, I can see now! I just did my wife's Jetta, too and went to led bulbs instead of the HIDs my Golf has, and even better. The projectors really put the light where it's needed, and the LEDs produce more of it efficiently. Sorry to hear about your bad luck, I would go with the GTI/GTD bumper, and a GTD grill, I have the grill, but can't afford the bumper right now. I have the GTD power, and grill, but not quite all the way there till I can get the bumper.;)
X2 on the lights. I put BEC R-replica projectors with HID kits. The Lord said "let their be light...". Much better. The Mk VII stock halogens seem notably worse than the Mk VI halogens. What helped on the Mk VI was that I found the "hidden adjuster" to adjust the high beams independent of the lows. On the Mk VII I just got the BEC lights instead, but the adjustment might help some who don't want to go to that expense, or want improvement while they wait to get them.

The problem is that the high beams are way too low. So when you adjust the lights with the main visible adjusting screw, the high beams end up right but the lows are too high. What is needed is to adjust the lows just a tiny bit up, and adjust the highs up by a somewhat larger amount. You do that by first doing the main screw to get the lows where you need them, then you find the hidden adjuster and do the high beams (unless the Mk VII is like the Mk V and the hidden adjuster is for the low beams, in which case you'd do the highs first and then lower the lows a bit; but on the Mk VI the hidden adjuster does the highs only).

At least on the Mk VI, doing that and putting in some decent aftermarket bulbs for the low beams (no real aftermarket choices for the H15 highs), you can get acceptable lighting. I recommend Osram 65W Rally H7 bulbs. Not much "whiter" but the lumen output starts approaching OEM HIDs.