What did you do to your MK7 today?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I've been googling some threads... there are people with fobs that work from 50+ feet away. Mine was like that at one point. My parking lot at work is a good 20-25 yards from the door of the building. I could get to the door and hit the button with the fob in my pocket and get an acknowledgment horn.

Every antenna I can find in the wiring diagrams goes to the KESSY module (J965) or to the Infotainment (J794). I was hoping to find something coming off of the BCM. US Golf's apparently use 315 MHz keys while EU (and maybe ROW) Golfs use 433 MHz. The key and BCM should match of course. Although I wonder if a 315Mhz key could be paired with a 433MHz BCM. It might work but with terrible range.

I did have my BCM replaced but it was with the ETKA specified replacement so should be correct. I also don't really know when the range issue started, hmmmmmm????

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I wonder if VCDS log the KESSY remote signal of you car at a specified XXX distance from the car it should be some level to determine if the antenna's are up to snuff.

There is a rear antenna under the bumper cover, wonder if that one is degraded, you signal is reduced by XX%.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
There's no antenna under my rear bumper cover that I saw, although there is a place for the KESSY one. Erwin shows the spot for that antenna (R136), two wires and they go directly to the KESSY module (Access/Start System Interface J965).

On the Mk4 (not the same, obviously, but for reference) there was a mod where the antenna (just a wire) was extended along the A pillar and over the door to extend the range. It would be great if there was something this simple on the Mk7. But at the same time there are Mk7's with great range (including mine, in the past).

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
There's no antenna under my rear bumper cover that I saw, although there is a place for the KESSY one. Erwin shows the spot for that antenna (R136), two wires and they go directly to the KESSY module (Access/Start System Interface J965).

On the Mk4 (not the same, obviously, but for reference) there was a mod where the antenna (just a wire) was extended along the A pillar and over the door to extend the range. It would be great if there was something this simple on the Mk7. But at the same time there are Mk7's with great range (including mine, in the past).
On the Mk4's and A3's, I extended range by opening my mouth, putting fob close to mouth and pressing button:sneaky:.... haven't tried to do it on my MK7 yet...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Maybe the wagons have an added sensor and regular hatches don't. When i installed the tow bar I def saw it, it might be needed to operate the rear latch as its further away from the main kessy antenna.

I also get another 5-10 feet of range holding the fob under my chin, it increases to 6-11 feet if I also stand on one foot, but then i'd just look stupid.