What did you do to your car today?

xbiker423

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL
Ran all the wiring for my new heated seats (so now they're ACTUALLY heated). I also did a thorough vacuuming while I had the seats out.

Yesterday I went to the junkyard and got a black rear view mirror and leather lid for the arm rest.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Drove the '13 Passat out to East Lansing on Thursday, went to the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village on Friday, went to MSU graduation on Saturday and just got back. So that's about 1900 miles in 4 days.

Living in NH is nice except when you have to get to Albany from here. 2.5 hours of over-the-river-and-through-the-woods.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
IAW, you feel it should not be driven. :D
Absolutely they should be driven, but washed regularly. Here in SoCal your car can remain very very clean year round with weekly washes, quarterly waxes, and paint correction polishing as needed. This R8 has 9k miles and is filthy lol.

Thomas83

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 TDI Golf 5-spd
I have them, I had them on MK3 (195/60-14), Mk5 Jetta, 205/55-16, on Mk4 Golf 195/65-15,(all stock sizes) They 65s are a little spongy, others were great, I think you should have gone 205/60, not 65 and you'd have better results.

Got some new tires for the Golf. General Altimax HP 205/65/15. about to go on a long road trip, so new tires were in order. we shall see how they are. initial thoughts are they are quiet, i told the guy to put 42# in each. if he did, I still have to check, but they feel a little spongy.. but give me a week with them, then i can tell how they really feel.

Let me know how they are. I'm looking to get a new set in about two weeks & your Altimax were on my list in that size.

Sent from my iPhone.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Let me know how they are. I'm looking to get a new set in about two weeks & your Altimax were on my list in that size.

Sent from my iPhone.
well, after a few days, I bumped teh pressure up to 44psi. it helped a little. I think donDavid was right. they are just a little floaty. I will bump the pressure up to 46 next time to see if that helps. I do like them though, they are very quiet(they are new so we shall see) they take road bumps and imperfections very well. when manipulating turns there is that float/spongy feel to them, very slight but I know its there, they still handle well, and except for that bit of float, so far they are Very good in my book. I really wonder if the stock tires 195/65/15 would have been a better choice... next time.

Oh, and it seems the over sized tires have affected my odometer. I am sub 400 miles and i am on half a tank. very unusual. but I only have about 200-250 miles on these so far. If i were to get them, I would not get the 205/65s, probably the 205/60 or stock 195/65

Eric B

dgar

TDI
'03 Jetta wagon
Changed oil with the oil extractor. Checked the cabin filter for the first time... full of NH in there, isn't it? Also, full of holes. Ordered a replacement.

That's my leatherman pocking through there.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Changed oil with the oil extractor. Checked the cabin filter for the first time... full of NH in there, isn't it? Also, full of holes. Ordered a replacement.

That's my leatherman pocking through there.
You sir have a mouse problem......

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
argh--fuel door!

Went to fill up my MK4 yesterday, fuel door would not open--again :mad: Been running on "beep" low fuel all day, so I pulled the trunk apart to check the mechanism.

Had power to the plug, so I pulled the mechanism apart and everything looked like it was functioning properly. I surmise it is the little motor that is non-functioning.

So I just pulled it all out and now have a "manual" opener--my hand. Good thing about that is it's guaranteed to work every time :D

cwescapexlt4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (previous 2011 JSW TDI)
Summer heat/sun is here in AZ and time to put the additional sun/heat protection for the pano roof (done this for the past several summers here and it really helps with the "acceptable loss" of use of the pano until Sept. We do bring the OEM shade forward and this slides in between. During the days, the perforated shade is a joke (even with the additonal 30% we have on the pano glass.

blueatlantic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon(gone) 06 Jetta (gone) 09 JSW(gone) 03 Jetta (died) 03 Jetta Wagon 2012 JSW
Replaced drivers side headlight lamp, and replaced left stalk on steering wheel so my dim lights would work. It is due for its annual inspection. Also, changed cabin air filter.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Summer heat/sun is here in AZ and time to put the additional sun/heat protection for the pano roof (done this for the past several summers here and it really helps with the "acceptable loss" of use of the pano until Sept. We do bring the OEM shade forward and this slides in between. During the days, the perforated shade is a joke (even with the additonal 30% we have on the pano glass.

That, sir, is an awesome idea. Do you notice a significant difference?

tromano32

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS 5spd 249k miles
I replaced lower hose with crappy fitting replacement , thermostat housing and thermostat , oil change n filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Finally got tired of all the wood trim....

I have never been a big fan of wood (I am not grey enough to appreciate the wood trim yet).

The aluminum is kinda blah. The Canadian Carbon fiber just looks too fake (glossy, and an obviously inferior weave pattern). And the plain black trim is not "good enough" for an SEL.

So what's a man to do?

Wrap it. I went with a textured black carbon fiber vinyl that looks absolutely fantastic. So good in fact, my brother paid me to wrap his MkV Jetta interior trim.

I do not have any interior daytime pics yet, but will try to get some tomorrow.

joshattack

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf auto
I cleaned off the corrosion on my VSS and put a new fuse in to fix my speedometer that started acting up and jumping around last week, now for the first time in 6 years my cruise control works.

I'm not sure how the speedo was intermittently working with the blown fuse but sure is nice to have cruise and a working speedometer!

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I cleaned off the corrosion on my VSS and put a new fuse in to fix my speedometer that started acting up and jumping around last week, now for the first time in 6 years my cruise control works.

I'm not sure how the speedo was intermittently working with the blown fuse but sure is nice to have cruise and a working speedometer!
If the fuse was blown, it wasn't for your speedo. You got 2 separate problems I think.

joshattack

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf auto
If the fuse was blown, it wasn't for your speedo. You got 2 separate problems I think.
The odd thing is, after cleaning off the connections I drove the car around for a while- no fix. It wasn't till I replaced the fuse later that the speedo worked. Oh well, works now!

lapse

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Golf TDI
Bathed my rear left ABS sensor and tone ring in brake cleaning fluid hoping it would make the ABS light go off. No such luck. VCDS reported 0mph while turning the hub, so it was time to hammer out the old and hammer in the new.

The job took about 30 minutes. Not sure why I paid someone to do it last time.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Bathed my rear left ABS sensor and tone ring in brake cleaning fluid hoping it would make the ABS light go off. No such luck. VCDS reported 0mph while turning the hub, so it was time to hammer out the old and hammer in the new.
The job took about 30 minutes. Not sure why I paid someone to do it last time.

At least on mkiv's the speedo is driven by a sensor on the transmission.
The wheel speed sensors just run the abs/ esp/ asr/ etc.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
Pulled my transmission and clutch last night. I am installing a VR6/G60 clutch in prep for a Malone Stage 3 tune at SOWO next weekend. I hear stories about how hard it is to pull the transmission on this car and I was blown away by how simple it was. It was easier pulling this transmission than it was pulling the transmission on my Civic years ago. Not as easy as pulling the transmission on my Ranger but still very simple. Last night I only planned on getting the transmission ready to be removed and everything was going so smoothly that I decided to go ahead and drop the transmission. Total time was under 3 hours and I was taking my time. I am pretty sure my DMF is shot. Holding the rear of my flywheel with my fingers, I can twist the clutch side of the flywheel about an inch either way using only my thumbs. It also is making a crinkling like sound when I move it. Funny thing is I didn't notice and bad vibrations or knocking out of it. Maybe I had just gotten used to it. Here are a couple pics:

I think I am going to leave the rear main seal alone since it really doesn't appear to be leaking. I have 165k miles and am worried I might cause a leak by changing it.

zzctdi

TDI
'11 JSW DSG
I used my love of my diesel to make a few thousand dollars.... I'm in sales at a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram dealership and got a customer so excited about the EcoDiesel in the Grand Cherokee Overland he was test driving that he paid no heed to price and bought it on the spot!

...Still waiting for a position to open up at the local VW dealership....