What did you do to your car today?

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
As long as you realize it doesn't fill the chips completely. Minor ones it will, but for most it fills the white primer/metal/ugly with paint. You would have to put your face right next to the hood to see the chips. Very happy.
Awesome, exactly what I'm going for, just to get rid of that white primer color out.

I wish I could have gotten a before shot. I filled probably 40+ chips in that one spot. I bought my car new in 2010....:mad:
Sucks, I was gonna ask if you had a before pic. Looks incredible from the pic. I have the blue metallic color on my golf and it shows EVERY little discrepancy that it possibly can and it's only 5 months old, but the chips are appearing already. Definitely ordering, thanks for the pic.

Also, does this work on the bumper areas or just metal surfaces?

Last edited:

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
Sold it!

I sold my gasser Acura TL, in favor of not getting divorced. All right, now I'm down to 3 cars....

Got work to do, trying to get down to one.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Awesome, exactly what I'm going for, just to get rid of that white primer color out.

Sucks, I was gonna ask if you had a before pic. Looks incredible from the pic. I have the blue metallic color.
Also, does this work on the bumper areas or just metal surfaces?
Dark Grey Metallic for me...:( I feel your pain.

It works great on the plastic paneling as well.

Honestly, if you don't have that many, I'd fill the ones you have and 3M wrap the critical areas...worth the money. My bumper is so bad that I'm just going to get it resprayed. Would have to slather Dr. Colorchip over the entire bumper surface to get them all.

Utah winters are quite harsh on car paint. I kick myself for not doing a 3M wrap when I first purchased it.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
Sold it!

I sold my gasser Acura TL, in favor of not getting divorced. All right, now I'm down to 3 cars....
The little red wagon would have a higher selling price compared to the $ you've put into it vs. the $ you've put into the older but nicely appointed Golf:D

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
Honestly, if you don't have that many, I'd fill the ones you have and 3M wrap the critical areas...worth the money. My bumper is so bad that I'm just going to get it resprayed. Would have to slather Dr. Colorchip over the entire bumper surface to get them all.
Utah winters are quite harsh on car paint. I kick myself for not doing a 3M wrap when I first purchased it.
I agree, I already kick myself in the ass for not doing the 3M wrap, it would have been worth it. NJ winters are bad, we don't get as much snow at all as you, but the sand and salt rocks come out for every little storm in large amounts. I read now that polish and waxes take to it well too, which was a concern of mine.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Sold it!

2 cars are the minimum: 1 for you and 1 for the spouse.

I had to go from 2 to 3 in 2011:

Originally we had the Prius for the spouse and the Miata for me. When my then 91-years old mother gave up her car, I bought the Jetta so I could drive her around.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
2 cars are the minimum: 1 for you and 1 for the spouse.

I had to go from 2 to 3 in 2011:

Originally we had the Prius for the spouse and the Miata for me. When my then 91-years old mother gave up her car, I bought the Jetta so I could drive her around.
My guideline is I have to be able to keep them inside. Right now that limits me to 5. That's really too many: some don't get driven for months at a time.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My guideline is I have to be able to keep them inside. Right now that limits me to 5. That's really too many: some don't get driven for months at a time.
The Miata and Prius are in the garage, while the the Jetta is under the covered area behind the workshop (actually being used as a "storage" shop right now) next to the mower and trailer.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I have not had less than two vehicles since I was 14 - I don't think I'd know what to do with myself if I only had one.
This will be the first time in my life (27 yrs old), that I won't have my 'own' car :confused:

The family vehicle is now 2008 Honda Element. Thing is ugly, but I will be damned if it isn't extremely useful. Still gets 23-24 mpg :p

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
This will be the first time in my life (27 yrs old), that I won't have my 'own' car :confused:

The family vehicle is now 2008 Honda Element. Thing is ugly, but I will be damned if it isn't extremely useful. Still gets 23-24 mpg :p
DP04 is #2 on the way?

I am trying to cut the stable down to 3 cars total. We have 5 vehicles between the wife and I.

Not sure if I should sell the golf or the wagon...that will leave us with a sedan, a SUV and the golf/Jetta wagon. I'm leaning towards keeping the golf as a small city car.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
In the last week I did Malone Stage II and Llumar Airblue 80 ceramic tint on all the windows including the windshield. Also TDI logo door sills. Very happy with all of them.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
I did a diesel purge. Then lines would not reseal so replaced the lines from the filter to the tandem pump. Adjusted torson value from -1.0 to +2.9 yeee haw. New air filter and oh my big ticket item 195 65 15 michelin defenders sams club 478 out the door for them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Not sure if I should sell the golf or the wagon...that will leave us with a sedan, a SUV and the golf/Jetta wagon. I'm leaning towards keeping the golf as a small city car.
This is the problem. I like all the cars I currently own. And most of them would be hard to replace with ones in similar condition. Ironically, that leaves the '12 Golf as the prime candidate if I want to thin the fleet. It's also the most expensive one to own. I am just a bit apprehensive about mostly owning cars with over 200K on them.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DP04 is #2 on the way?

I am trying to cut the stable down to 3 cars total. We have 5 vehicles between the wife and I.

Keep the wagon as it is newer and can be used to haul more things than the Golf. Also, the Golfs aren't that much smaller externally. If you want a small car just for the city, get a Smart4Two. Or you could wait for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CityCar

Another option: http://www.zapworld.com/zap-xebra-electric-car-truck

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
This..... Fml
Road construction man hole cover sitting 4 inches proud, rainy weather and morning commute perfect storm scenario...

Been meaning to change the oil and replace my lowered suspension with my 20th anniversary springs and struts.. This might be motivation enough to do it!
Will be busy the next couple of weeks cleaning up this mess.
(facepalm)
So far running inventory of parts is.
Motor mount, oil pan, 4.5 litres of oil, still haven't checked the turbo..big dent in the subframe.
Good news is it might be covered by insurance.. that being said wasn't wanting to rebuild an engine right now..

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Replaced passenger side mirror for the 2nd time. PITA for sure. The first replacement didn't have the puddle light nor did it tip back automatically in reverse. New one has puddle light and I'm hoping a bit of reprogramming will get the lowering feature to restart.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
This..... Fml
Road construction man hole cover sitting 4 inches proud, rainy weather and morning commute perfect storm scenario...Been meaning to change the oil and replace my lowered suspension with my 20th anniversary springs and struts..
I would hope that your 20th A spr & str package will increase the ground clearance to the lowered suspension you're going to replace...not that the stock ride height would've guaranteed to clear a 4" protrusion.
The road works contractor should be liable for the damage since it wouldn't be difficult to prove negligence. :(

Last edited:

zembu

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan (BRM)
Removed and cleaned EGR valve and intake manifold - my first ever mechanic-work and I loved it!

For all to know - I ignored the Chicken Littles and used oven cleaner on my intake manifold with NO ill effects; 10 minutes on, rinse off. repeat. clean as can be and no damage. It's a HUGE hunk of aluminum - Yes, I may have taken off a molecular layer of Al atoms, but otherwise it was much easier and cleaner than hours in a nasty degreaser or shooting flaming chunks of gunk using the "redneck" method!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Swapped out the Koseis for OE Avus 1s with Michelins on the wagon. Cleaned out behind the front fender liners. Nothing on the driver's side, but found this on the passenger side.

Not a lot, but unfortunately I've got a bit of rust on the rocker and fender on this side, too. I've already spoken to my dealer about getting it covered under warranty.

The front control arm bushings are getting a little tired, too. I think next Spring I'll do a refresh of those, rear axle bushings (finally, I can't believe they've lasted this long) and maybe new Konis.

Last edited:

Mr. Pink

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI

installed the following

FK streetline coilovers
42 Draft designs adapters(5x100->5x112, 15mm front, 20mm rear)
OEM Mounts and all new bolts and nuts
Audi A6 17x7.5 9 spoke wheels

Last edited:

fancy_dancer

TDI
2009 JSW DSG
My rear brakes lasted 125,650 miles.

At 125,650 miles, I replaced the rear rotors and pads with OEM (the original fronts are at about 50%), and installed Koni FSD shocks/struts. Seems to handle like a new Sportwagen should handle.

But, there's a rattle from the right rear. Could a worn top shock mount make a sound like two pieces of plywood bouncing together?