What did you do to your car today?

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Washed 2 months of cement dust off it. Man it looks much better now :)
My house is 2 blocks from a mining area. Dust kicks up from the huge piles of dirt they have on the side. My clean car lasts 2 days before a fine layer of silt builds up on it.

I feel your pain:(

Luckily I'm moving to a place with a garage soon!:D

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
My house is 2 blocks from a mining area. Dust kicks up from the huge piles of dirt they have on the side. My clean car lasts 2 days before a fine layer of silt builds up on it.

I feel your pain:(

Luckily I'm moving to a place with a garage soon!:D
You might have a case for civil court if the mining company's operations are damaging your property.:cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
After nearly 5 years with RC6, Jeff at RC wrote a new tune for my wagon. Since the engine refresh I've been unhappy with smoke on tip-in and responsiveness at low revs. Jeff made an RC 4+ that accommodates my mods (ported head and Dbilas cam, PD150 intake, etc.). It's a 25 PSI tune but on NA base maps so it has the "softer" accelerator response than the Euro tune. But I won't have to swap ECUs for annual inspection.

Just drove 200 miles home from the Fest and it's a big improvement. Easier to drive (RC6 always took a gentle foot to drive smoothly), much less smoke, and still pretty quick. The exhaust note has changed a bit: I've always had a bit of a drone that starts at 85 MPH or so, now it seems to come in at 80. But the engine sounds quieter (less timing, perhaps), so maybe it's just more noticeable. I'm betting I'll gain a bit of FE, too, based on where the gauge is after the drive home (550 miles on this tank, one tick below half).

Of course if I long for RC6 again I still have it on my OE ECU. But I'm happy.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Saturday I drove it to the grocery where I had a good laugh. There was a huge late 80s/early 90s Lincoln parked and on the steering wheel was "The Club"! (As if anyone would want steal such a boat)

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
After nearly 5 years with RC6, Jeff at RC wrote a new tune for my wagon. Since the engine refresh I've been unhappy with smoke on tip-in and responsiveness at low revs. Jeff made an RC 4+ that accommodates my mods (ported head and Dbilas cam, PD150 intake, etc.). It's a 25 PSI tune but on NA base maps so it has the "softer" accelerator response than the Euro tune. But I won't have to swap ECUs for annual inspection.

Just drove 200 miles home from the Fest and it's a big improvement. Easier to drive (RC6 always took a gentle foot to drive smoothly), much less smoke, and still pretty quick. The exhaust note has changed a bit: I've always had a bit of a drone that starts at 85 MPH or so, now it seems to come in at 80. But the engine sounds quieter (less timing, perhaps), so maybe it's just more noticeable. I'm betting I'll gain a bit of FE, too, based on where the gauge is after the drive home (550 miles on this tank, one tick below half).

Of course if I long for RC6 again I still have it on my OE ECU. But I'm happy.
Peter,
Great seeing yo and the ID Parts gang at the Fest. I'm glad to hear the result of your re-tune. Should make IBW one hell of a daily driver.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
First oil change for the swap.
Got malone tune in :)
Got PD150 MAF in
Got auto headlights working with automatic wipers.
Enjoyed massive power boost.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I went from this:

to this:

It took about one hour of sanding and buffing, then clear coating. We will see how long they hold up. It was cheaper and faster than swapping out the lenses. I want to make these HID retros last until I graduate and find a better job. Then I will redo my lights with glass lenses and leveling motors.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
This past Saturday, assisted on my wife's timing belt change(2004 Jetta Wagon) much easier to do than on an ALH, IMHO.

Thanks for MOGOLF and SVTWEB for their assistance. It's nice to have someone reconfirm things. And thanks to Fanofalldiesels for his wrenching and moral support.

Now to get a short shifter for her car. Will go with the Audi TT version.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
replaced the serpentine belt tensioner. It was squealing pretty loudly.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I went from this:

to this:

It took about one hour of sanding and buffing, then clear coating. We will see how long they hold up. It was cheaper and faster than swapping out the lenses. I want to make these HID retros last until I graduate and find a better job. Then I will redo my lights with glass lenses and leveling motors.

Clear coat will hold up for a little while but once a rock hits it and breaks through it, it will de-laminate again. If you go to a local signage shop or look on the web you can find a 3M protective clear film and if you put that on they'll be good for years down the road.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Clear coat will hold up for a little while but once a rock hits it and breaks through it, it will de-laminate again. If you go to a local signage shop or look on the web you can find a 3M protective clear film and if you put that on they'll be good for years down the road.
I have heard mixed reviews on running the laminex type products with HIDs. Some says it distorts the output, causing glare. I have never seen this first hand though.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I have heard mixed reviews on running the laminex type products with HIDs. Some says it distorts the output, causing glare. I have never seen this first hand though.
The material isn't that thick and the refraction index isn't that high. Most likely these are people who've installed HIDs in mirror/projector assemblies designed for standard filiment bulbs. As such the arc of the HID lamp is not in the same physical location of the filament of a standard bulb so the light output is "distorted"

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Over the course of the week installed koni fsd struts and shocks, control arms with tt bushings and new ball joints, while waiting for the autoshop to open someone smashed in my window (thankfully nothing was taken) so yesterday I replaced that

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Finally was able to get my DRL led to the state where i like them

From this

To this

Last edited:

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Changed the hose from the brake booster to the vacume pump, then checked the lower intercooler hose for oil, none came out. There was alittle in the cooler that I could feel with my hands but should be all good.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Over the weekend:

Converted from edc15 alh to edc15 pd

Bew block
Asv pistons
Ceramic coated piston crowns, combustion chambers, valve faces, and exhaust ports
Rosten rods
Block girdle
Ported head
South bend clutch
Brand new ERF transmission
Peloquin differential
Stage 2 raxles
Gtb2260vk
firad +100 injectors

Still a few bugs to iron out like properly fitting power steering and turbo drain lines, but its running!

Last edited:

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
Over the weekend:

Converted from edc15 alh to edc15 pd

Bew block
Asv pistons
Ceramic coated piston crowns, combustion chambers, valve faces, and exhaust ports
Rosten rods
Block girdle
Ported head
South bend clutch
Brand new ERF transmission
Peloquin differential
Stage 2 raxles
Gtb2260vk

Still a few bugs to iron out like properly fitting power steering and turbo drain lines, but its running!
WOW! Congrats on the build!
I hope that you will post performance numbers (dyno, 1/4 mile) after you've broken in that engine :D

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I replaced my arm rest lid with a brand new leather one. I ended up spending more time looking for a DIY thread than it actually took to get a screwdriver in there and get the old one out and the new one just popped in.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Checked torsion value (timing) still perfect! Activated key out feature using vag-com now when I shut off the car all 4 doors unlock. Definitely recommended if you have a car seat in the back of your car. Replaced my factory headlights with 20th anniversary e-codes... haven't gotten around to wiring the fogs in yet but the headlights are in... Swapped out strut bearings on my 20th anniversary Gli struts and springs... going to swap out my aftermarket springs for the oem ones in the next couple of weeks....A little closer to my goal of 100% Glitdi..

JerryInOCMD

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I took the dealer emblem off of the trunk of my black TDI. I was so worried about doing this, but once heated it pealed off very easily with no marring/damage to the paint :) Looks great!

Last edited:

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
Started adding 4oz of 2-stroke Marine oil to a full tank of diesel in my 05 Jetta. The dpf car owners use it to control ash accumulation but the fuel system also gets more lubricity including other TDI engines.