What did you do to your car today?

FirstOrbit84

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 2-Door Golf TDI
The harder it is to see my license plate that better, as far as I'm concerned. :D
I once got pulled over because the cop thought my license plate bulbs were out, but we went back there to take a look at it and it turned out the bulbs and plate were just covered in soot.

Snipely

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Indigo
Wow, your post reminds me of the 1st 3 months I had my car. A similar undertaking. All accomplished with the research of the archived data on TDI club.

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Thanks, at 152K some of this work was way past due. I hope to get another 150K out of this beast, and a few more long road trips.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Figured out my ESP light was due to a stuck button.
Fixed my fuel gauge (incorrect lift pump orientation caused float to hit front wall).
Plugged left side turn indicator in (was left dangling from swap).
Replaced floor mats (they were drying on the line).
Thought about driving it, ended up driving 2014 BigHorn instead.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Employee used my car to get ingredients for my business since I was busy. This kid has been driving manuals all his life. So I thought I could trust him to use a manual properly.

Get in my car to go home and it reeks of burnt clutch and will barely engage 1st without horrible clutch judder and on the verge of stalling.

He says he had to slip the clutch "a bit" to get going, turns out he left the ebrake on...

So I was lucky that Aaron at bora parts had a 6 speed Single mass conversion clutch and flywheel in stock to be overnighted to get installed before this weekend just so I can make the 8 hour drive to my grandpas funeral...

Lesson learned? Even if they say they can drive a manual doesn't mean they can. I'm not mad at them just mad at myself for letting it happen.

I guess 60k, 40k of that with stage 2 isn't horrible but the clutch was perfect and the upgraded clutch not needed.
I need a drink. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I do have to say Aaron at Boraparts is one of the best guys out there in the business in my opinion. Fast, accurate, and can stand listening to me bumble about to get to my point. Thanks again, saved me big time.

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Replaced the transmission mount.

Fixed the 'clunk' between shifts and between forward/reverse in the driveway/parking lots/etc.

It's tough to describe. It was like there was a second clutch engagement after I shifted into gear. You could feel the car go into gear, then a split second after there was a second 'engagement' of sorts.

Here's a video of the old mount.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=390160

LooseScrew

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Ordered a timing belt kit, MetalNerd's tool kit, and VCDS software with the KII-USB interface. You know what I'll be getting into this weekend or next.

Put 2 new tires on the front. Charged AC system.

Captain Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
finally got my dragging rear brake problem resolved (I hope). I also pulled and cleaned my EGR. Didn't have time to pull the intake today so I just scraped out what I could reach, I'll pull it when I do my timing belt next month.

Pooperpipley

TDI
2001 Jetta
Finally got around to installing new vacuum hoses. I should have done it years ago, the car accelerates much smoother now. I retarded the timing to just below spec so now I'm hoping to get back the 4-5 mpg that I lost over these last few years.

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 03 2dr 5sp 357,xxx; Current: B5.5V 116,xxx
Changed a head light bulb. It only took me a minute to figure it out (after watching a two minute youtube video on how to change a stock MK4 headlight bulb [which, I don't even have stock head lamps, so why would I do that?], looking at the battery in dusk, looking for my work light in the shop, debating with myself about whether to rely on night vision or go into the house to get a flashlight, going back in the house to get a flashlight, removing the battery [which required a drill, two ratchet wrench attachments and an extension], and putting the whole thing together again). No one was harmed.

Next up: doing the wiring for the e-code fog lights.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
.................But the big thing for me is the worry about the emissions system. I now have a 5 mile commute, and the Golf really isn't suited to it. That's in part why I got the B4. Low FE in cold weather, frequent active regens...I probably worry about it too much, but I know EGR filters, DPFs, and turbos in these cars can fail when not driven properly.

Sorry for the rant here, but I didn't want to pollute your for sale thread and since my post isn't about a Passat it didn't seem right to put it there.

I want to see the '15 Golf when it comes out, and also want to see how the Jetta sedan performs when it gets the new generation TDI later next year. Maybe one of those will work out. Or a next gen Audi A3. I've driven a couple of Passats and although they seem OK, I'd probably look at a Mazda 6 first.
Let's hope for the GTD to come out in 2015 or at some point during our lifetime ... maybe we will then find a suitable replacement to our MKIVs...

Meantime I am seriously considering the all EV Nissan Leaf... for my commute.. Nissan dropped the price another few thousands & there is a huge fed and state rebate... (+-$7,500) they now offer a 3 year lease all in for $199/month $0 down... I am considering this strictly for my commute back and forth to work.. .I have about 25 Miles to/from work on a congested freeway. It can take up to 60 minutes + to do this distance in rush traffic. With the leaf, it would cost me a whole $5/ week in power to charge this at home or charge it for free at my work next year.... the main selling point for me is that I will be able to drive the HOV lane with just one driver (me)... That would cut my commute time to about 20 minutes.... That is HUGE in the Bay Area .. + it will cost me less in lease payment per month what than I currently pay for fuel per month... What is not to like?

I can get over sitting in a compact non-sporty car.... Maybe not let any of my TDI buddies see me driving one ... ;)

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I think once the range goes up a bit on 100% electrics, the lid will blow on potential customers. It's really more about battery tech than motors at this point. Shorter charge times, longer range.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The Tesla sedan has a configuration with a 235 mile range. I've seen a lot of them in LA recently. And saw one here in MA today. For me still not terribly useful, but that's pretty impressive. Of course the car is close to $100K, so there's that.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Yes, Tesla is one of the exceptions. I watched a show all about them and it wasn't all that confidence inspiring. They've had a very rocky financial history and customers have had to share that burden.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Let's hope for the GTD to come out in 2015 or at some point during our lifetime ... maybe we will then find a suitable replacement to our MKIVs...

Meantime I am seriously considering the all EV Nissan Leaf... for my commute.. Nissan dropped the price another few thousands & there is a huge fed and state rebate... (+-$7,500) they now offer a 3 year lease all in for $199/month $0 down... I am considering this strictly for my commute back and forth to work.. .I have about 25 Miles to/from work on a congested freeway. It can take up to 60 minutes + to do this distance in rush traffic. With the leaf, it would cost me a whole $5/ week in power to charge this at home or charge it for free at my work next year.... the main selling point for me is that I will be able to drive the HOV lane with just one driver (me)... That would cut my commute time to about 20 minutes.... That is HUGE in the Bay Area .. + it will cost me less in lease payment per month what than I currently pay for fuel per month... What is not to like?

I can get over sitting in a compact non-sporty car.... Maybe not let any of my TDI buddies see me driving one ... ;)

Well the math sure works. Will you be happy driving it though?

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Well the math sure works. Will you be happy driving it though?
When I am in the HOV lane and passing all the other peasants who are lined up in stop and go traffic on the 680 freeway going and coming to work.... when my daily work commute goes from one hour + each way to 20 minutes each way... Yes I will be happy for sure ;) Not a car I would really bond to or make a lifestyle like the TDI is... but it will totally help out my commute.. (there in nothing more in the world I hate more than traffic)

I talk a good game but I have not even driven one yet.. I will try to get our to test drive one tomorrow and also call the my insurance to see how much it will cost.. This is the other thing to consider .. $199 payment + about $20 a month in power cost + insurance for the Leaf..

I like the 3 year lease option b/c I am not sure how long the battery holds up after in the long run on these cars. I am told these are super expensive. + they are making the HOV sticker good only till the end of 2015.... So I may sell it after 2015 and certainly give it back after the 3 year lease...

We'll see

Last edited:

SD26

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 5sp, 2002 Jetta TDI 5sp
The Tesla sedan has a configuration with a 235 mile range. I've seen a lot of them in LA recently. And saw one here in MA today. For me still not terribly useful, but that's pretty impressive. Of course the car is close to $100K, so there's that.
It looks good too!

In the spring, my youngest and I took a 4200 mile road trip, and my wife and my oldest took a trip to San Francisco. I think we both saw a good number of Tesla's in more cosmopolitan areas (SF, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas), and I saw one here in the Milwaukee area a couple months back.

Their tires are pretty darn narrow for such a masculine looking car... :D

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
Changed a head light bulb. It only took me a minute to figure it out (after watching a two minute youtube video on how to change a stock MK4 headlight bulb [which, I don't even have stock head lamps, so why would I do that?], looking at the battery in dusk, looking for my work light in the shop, debating with myself about whether to rely on night vision or go into the house to get a flashlight, going back in the house to get a flashlight, removing the battery [which required a drill, two ratchet wrench attachments and an extension], and putting the whole thing together again). No one was harmed.
Next up: doing the wiring for the e-code fog lights.
Hi skoullias,

Once you get used to squeezing your hand in between the battery and the headlight sealing plate, (from the top) you can get your hand down towards the headlight bulb connectors, and it's a 5 minute job.
Just did it with mine, taking out the HIDs and replacing with a 4000K bulb...much better.

-M.

Last edited:

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Volks,

Got a pretty sweet nod from a Cayman S last night after a green-light-left-turn- entryramp-sprint onto the freeway. He was behind me, and I pulled on him in 4th. Pretty cool.

Who knows if I had a great mix of W/M, or if he let off, but the older fella pulled up, and I got a nod, and thumbs up. I love that. :D

-M.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I talk a good game but I have not even driven one yet.. I will try to get our to test drive one tomorrow and also call the my insurance to see how much it will cost.. This is the other thing to consider .. $199 payment + about $20 a month in power cost + insurance for the Volt..
So you are going for a Volt rather than a Leaf?

Will you bring it to the GTG in San Pablo?

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
New toys...

Tried out the Go*** mounts today.... it's looking a lot slower than it feels (no W/M)! Might have to make a trip to the Raceway to confirm....(click on the picture)

PS- I'm still on squishy Conti winter tires, and my bad for forgetting the vibration dampers for the Go***

-M.

Last edited:

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
The Telsa is made here in Spokane. I actually went to school with the owner's son. He graduated with a BSME this last spring. The car is very impressive. Over 1000 ft-lbs of torque. The owners son took it to the drag strip a couple of times and laid down some very impressive 10 second runs with it. The $100k is the starting point for base model, with no options, and the cheapest battery pack they offer. With the better battery, with the 200+ mile range, you are looking closer to $200k. Then you have to pay to have it assembled. This car has to be sold as a kit car as there are too many government regulations to allow them to sell the car complete.

This is what I have learned about the car in my last three years out at school. The son and I have become good friends. It is a shame they are not able to mas produce these. It would cost $25 million to be able to mass produce these and bring the cost down to the $40-50k range.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think your numbers are a bit off. Look here: http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design The 85kw version starts at $73,570 and with common options seems to run about $90K. That's ready to drive, not a kit. And according to Wikipedia it's assembled in Freemont, CA, in the former GM/Toyota NUMMI plant.

I've heard rumors of a lower cost model, which I might find appealing. But fact is an electric car still has limited utility. I'm hard pressed to pay the insurance, taxes, maintenance, and depreciation on a car that won't cover a distance that I frequently drive in one day.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
The 60kWh version starts at $71,000; the 85kWh, at $81,000; the 85kWh Performance at $91,000; the 85 kWh Performance Plus at $108,000.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I see, they quote prices with the $7,500 federal tax credit already taken into account. I guess if you have enough money to pay cash for a Tesla you have enough income to use the full credit. I think the pricing is pretty reasonable: You could get a 85 kWh one for about the same cost as a mildly optioned Audi A7 TDI. I'd prefer the TDI, but it's worth considering, if you're in the market in that price range. I just changed the oil in my 20 year old M-B so I'll stick with that for now.

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
I have seen a couple around here in Toronto, nice looking cars bug bucks however and yes it appears that they are sold as complete turn key cars

Mr. Pink

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Yesterday i changed my oil with Amsoil 5w40 as well as put a new cabin filter in. Today i plasti dipped my grille black. sometime this week i'll be putting a new wiper transmission/linkage in and possibly a new wiper motor(dependant on if the transmission/linkage fixes my locking up issue)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Changed the oil in the M-B with Delvac 15w40. Decided to go old school with that car: It ran Rotella white bottle for years before I bought it. Mercedes does things nicely: all you need to change the oil is a 9mm socket for the belly pan and 13mm socket for both the drain and the filter canister. However, I nearly overflowed my 8 quart drain pan. 7.5 quarts went back in and I think it'll need a bit more before I'm done.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Changed the oil in the M-B with Delvac 15w40. Decided to go old school with that car: It ran Rotella white bottle for years before I bought it. Mercedes does things nicely: all you need to change the oil is a 9mm socket for the belly pan and 13mm socket for both the drain and the filter canister. However, I nearly overflowed my 8 quart drain pan. 7.5 quarts went back in and I think it'll need a bit more before I'm done.
Which were you running in it before?