What did you do to your car today?

Deebeaux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf GLS
Friday did rear brakes and rotors.

Saturday was supposed to do 1.8T/VR6 upgraded brakes/rotors in the front but spent all day down with a massive sinus infection.

Today, not feeling up to heavy labor, finishing up my aluminum trim swap by putting the brushed handles in. Been putting this off because I didn't feel like pulling door cards...again. 2 down 2 to go... came in for a sandwich, ice water, and decongestant. :)

Might get up enough courage to do the FIS display replacement, but probably not today.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Registered it!! Getting 'TDI PWR' in Nevada plates, just like the one I had in Florida.

Also found out my car qualifies for the tandem pump replacement due to the VIN number, so I will get it replaced cause its leaking :)

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I'm happy to hear that you made it home with a smile. I always loved driving the car formerly known as "Bora-Buddy" on long trips. It's so much fun rolling on the throttle and watching the speed hop from 75 to 100 without hesitation. It sounds good doing it too!
For legal and official purposes, I must officially state that I never drove the car 100 miles per hour. :rolleyes: 95, maybe. :cool:

I like the mp3 player, but there were quite a few times I turned off the music so I could listen to the purr of the diesel engine and the sound of the tires on the road. That really is some of my favorite music right there.

Sorry about the slippery mats, I was trying something different and it didn't go well. A little squirt of Simple Green or some other mild cleaner and some water should fix that right up. I used a product that was supposed to keep rubber and plastics healthy but it obviously also keeps it slick too.
No problem. It seemed to work itself out once I'd been in and out of the car a bit. Probably left a sheen that quickly wore off. They seem to have the same amount of traction as the untreated Monster mats in my previous Jetta now. And it wasn't too bad to start off with -- just a little unexpected.

Did you notice any difference as you ran through the rest of the Bio / D2 mix and replaced it with straight Bio?
Performance was spot on. Exhaust started to smell like French fries in the fryer, which may have increased the tendency to want to stop for food. :D

On a food related note, thank you for pointing us to Vinny's over in Chester Springs. That was the best cheese steak sandwich I have ever had. Ever. :eek:

Adam
(I really miss Bora's power and good mileage)
Sorry. I lucked into the moment between when you decided to sell the green machine and the moment when you came to your senses, didn't I? :eek: If it's any consolation, he's in good hands now.

SD26

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 5sp, 2002 Jetta TDI 5sp
I found a few moments between home improvement projects to remove my 205/50/17's and put the 205/70/15's on (same diameter, lots narrower)...
I think I'm reading the size right...looks to be the same width but taller...

blarg

TDI
Jetta TDI, 2009, Blue, 160k
Today...installed a replacement 01M (ELT) to replace my failed 01M (FDB), and saving up for RyanP 6speed conversion.

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
Had a Peloquin LSD, new R & P 3.16 installed along with a new LUK DMF, rear main seal and new Raxles. Love the way the car feels with the LSD and the reduction of approximately 200 rpms in 5th.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Registered it!! Getting 'TDI PWR' in Nevada plates, just like the one I had in Florida.

Also found out my car qualifies for the tandem pump replacement due to the VIN number, so I will get it replaced cause its leaking :)

I take it back. The pump recall was already done so I have to fix the leak myself :(

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I found a new way to clean a sticky vane mechanism: Load up the wife and daughter, drive to Chicago for 3 days, Brantford ON for 2 days, Cleveland for 2 days, Washington DC for 6 days, Indianapolis for 2 days and St. Louis for 2 days then return to KC. My 17/22 was overboosting a bit before the trip, works perfect now :p 3198 miles, 53 mpg average over the total trip :D

Now that vacation is over I guess I will have to get back to work....:cool:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
This guy:

replaced this:

it was totally dead and throwing up its guts. So we're happy and boosting properly now.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
This guy:

replaced this:

it was totally dead and throwing up its guts. So we're happy and boosting properly now.
Looks like you've sprinkled gun powder around the actuator. I'd consider blowing one up that looked like that:D. Glad the boost is back, must be like a new car to drive now.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Glad the boost is back, must be like a new car to drive now.
Car got big boost, go real fast, long time. :D

Rich was laughing his butt off. You can shake it like a kid's rattle and the whole top wobbles around. "Yeah, it's dead."

Last edited:

Silent_Kilt

TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon TDi GLS
Put in a new Garrett VNT17 recently after my original turbo cratered. So I felt it would be best accompanied by some new instrumentation. The boost gauge will go in the center, it was on back-order. The gauges are made be Defi, they are the Blue-Racer series. I tapped and drilled the exhaust manifold for the EGT probe, that went very well actually. I am planning on tapping and drilling the intake manifold for the boost sensor. The other gauge in the picture is an oil temperature gauge. Don't worry, it isn't that hot, I just haven't installed the sensor yet. I am waiting for the my new, larger oil cooler to arrive. I am planning on installing the temperature sensor in the bottom of the oil cooler. I figure it will give me the most accurate information as to what the engine is being feed for oil temperatures.

The gauge holder I modified so that it is slightly tilted up, to allow for easier reading. I built some brackets that utilize the screws on the back of the gauges to hold the assembly in place using the factory side grooves. When the boost gauge shows up, I will snap a photo of them too.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I think you meant to say "drill and tap", Silent. You can't tap a hole that hasn't been drilled!

But then again you CAN drill a tapped hole to remove the tapped threads. :D

Quattrojim

Veteran Member
TDI
'07 Touareg V10 TDI & '03 "GO" 1.9T TDI
Installed the engine cover with the "ball and socket" hardware, and replaced/upgraded all the vacuum lines....

Engine cover installed, but missing caps...

Replaced vacuum lines with silicone....

I'm happy with the clean look.

Thanks,

Jim

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Installed the engine cover with the "ball and socket" hardware, and replaced/upgraded all the vacuum lines....

Engine cover installed, but missing caps...

Replaced vacuum lines with silicone....

I'm happy with the clean look.

Thanks,

Jim
How much vacuum line did you use and what size?

Quattrojim

Veteran Member
TDI
'07 Touareg V10 TDI & '03 "GO" 1.9T TDI
How much vacuum line did you use and what size?
Let me get back to you on that... I used to own a small business and had rolls/spools of different diameter and color silicone line left over. I'll take some pictures of the P/N on the bags of what I used as well as fish the vacuum line that had 320,000 miles on it out of the trash for length measurement for you...so long as nobody has taken out the trash yet!

Thanks,

Jim