What did you do to your car today?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Reinstalled my oem steel skidplate for the first time since i put my new FSDs on the car. I had misplaced my rubber mount bushings for it and finally decided to man up and just buy 3 more. I feel MUCH better with my armor underwear on.

I fear no Ice chunks now.

I will be removing it probably tomorrow when I replace my sway bar bushings. and put on the 10mm front spacers. they are quite clunky. hope thats all it is.

fun fun.

posterChild

TDI
2000 Black Jetta GL

A couple days ago, but I finally a bunch of much needed work done... sadly, I didn't do it, as life keeps getting in the way. The good news is that I found a great TDI Mechanic local to me that knocked out a bunch of stuff over the weekend:

1 Clutch Replaced with SMF + Sachs
1 Brake flush. Identified seized driver rear caliper bleed valve and overall crappy rotors.
1 set of Sprint 520s installed
1 Case pressure relief valve reassembled after it had "puked its guts out"
1 very blown driver's side engine mount replace.
1 not blown but old engine mount replaced
1 not blown but old dog-bone replaced
1 trans-fluid replace
1 set of severely destroyed sway bar bushing identified

and lastly

1 coolant leak fixed caused by an incompetent coolant temp sensor installer (me)

Big thanks to Matt-98AHU for the wrenching and fast turn around and for Growler for sending me his way. Now I can start saving pennies for some rotors and bushings... while I gently break in this clutch.

posterChild

JPR

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS,2003,Alaska Green (son's now),GL 2003,white (mine), GLS 2003 wagon (daughter's now)
Improvements

White Jetta - Installed nearly new VNT-17 and used but good 2.5" 304 stainless cat-back w/magniflow muffler - purchased from fellow club member. The orginal VNT-15 has 207,000 miles and was still OK, but replacing it now seems to me to be good insurance. My RC3 ASV seems to work fine with the 17. :)

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Gave the Golf the old Diesel Purge Medicine!! One can through the engine, poured the remaining dregs in the tank. Will do two cans with every filter change now I think.

Ready for the dyno tomorrow!

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,2011 Tdi sportwgon
Replaced leaking brake booster grommet, installed new trunk light switch, ordered smoked fender repeaters and new shift boot/knob.

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
Marin (jetta ,97) did some eprom magic yesterday. Now the Jetta is alittle closer to being an Audi.. :) Thanks Marin!

You may notice the boost gauge is missing, I ordered an Autometer 5670. Should be here in a couple days.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Good News, and some Tragedy Averted.

This weekend, I was able to install my new (used) Doniol Boost/EGT gage. That wwas the good news,.. the gage is AWESOME. Altho I do have a questin about it that Ill ask on the Doniol gage thread...

anyhoo, to the tragedy aversion..

Mcnally is already spoken for, its going free to a good home of a friend. I couldnt sell it. he wanted it, its his.
After the Cinci TDI GTG when I slowed down from the freeway I noticed much more lifter ticking than the single tick I have had for the last year or two.
I carry a cam & lifters on the shelf... they got replaced after checking my oil level and finding it spot on where it belongs.
in the process of doing that job, I was unable to get the pump pin to seat fully into the pump, and it was a bit wobbly in there where it could go into. looking thru the pulley with a mirror didn't look right. so I pulled the pump pulley.
I found this..

when taking the pulley off, I heard the tinking of metal chunks and once it got close to coming off, I could hear them fall... into the timing belt path.. yippeee..
after much disassembly, I found these pretty little nuggets, whats left of the broken casting pieces after about 40k of wear from the last timing belt job.

also noted was the wear marks on the inside of the pulley.

In addition to the issues above, the Crank seal was leaking, and the large roller had a 60k bearing in it.
these two things made me decide to just replace the TB system as well as the crank seal. IF the roller was replaced at 102k like the PO told me it was, it had 40k on it, either way, it was manufactured in 2005 some time, so it was almost due by years anyways.
guess I got lucky, and am VERY glad I pay attention to the sounds my car makes.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Ahh, broken nose on the pump. Thats why the OE and metalnerd pump pins are hollow and have a breakaway spot. Someone cranked over your motor with a pin in there at some time.... and probably not an actual pump pin but more likely a drill bit or something....

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Getting the final things in order for the upcoming 5 speed swap and had a "discussion" with my Dad who will be giving me a hand. He was asking about whether I have a new pilot shaft bearing/bushing or not. I do not, nor have I ever seen discussion of one here. Doesn't the input shaft just hang out there on the main input shaft bearing? '99 02J trans btw.

Kitsune

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI GLS
Almost all done, but I hooked up my ALH Wagon with ...

Panzerplate, Helix blacked angel eyes w/ HID, Bilstein HD's, Wagon tow springs, air lift 1000 bags, curt hitch, 5x8 trailer, powerplus 502, vnt17, Alligator tune, ECS stage 1 clutch.

It's pretty nice. Thanks to the guys at DJM out in PDX for doing a lot of the work, btw.

Last edited:

Bobo4255

TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI Manual
Yesterday was intake manifold day for my car, 2003 A4 ALH Golf 5mt. My wife and I cleared out 45k miles worth of short trip slow driving sludge from the previous owner. I couldn't get my pinky in the intake manifold once we had it off the engine block, and the car wouldn't go over 3k rpm even rolling down a hill in 3rd gear. Now she breathes!

If you question your ALH A4's ability to merge on highways, you owe it to yourself to tackle this project. You won't be disappointed.

On a side note, if you're borrowing or swapping intake manifolds with someone who has a spare, check that all the threaded fasteners fit in the new part BEFORE you bolt the borrowed part to your engine block . . .

Otherwise you'll get really good at placing hex bolts with a mirror and quite a hamstring workout.

No really, if you have an ALH and you're lacking power, I'd put intake manifold first on your list of things to look at.

adeep42

TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6 Speed, Black with Tan Interior, Sunroof and 17" wheels
Best non-mod mod

Don't know about other markets, but US Jettas don't come with standard Splash Guards. $200 for front and rear and installation at the dealer. Well worth it!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
adeep42 said:
Don't know about other markets, but US Jettas don't come with standard Splash Guards. $200 for front and rear and installation at the dealer. Well worth it!
Put some 3M clearfilm under the splashguards where they touch. If you dont you'll be cursing those things in 50k when they rub right thru the paint.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Stripped the injector hold down bolt threads in cyl 1 :( Also inspected my cam and found that most injector lobes were very sharp and had zero chamfer on the edges... FML LOL.

--edit-- apparently, the injector rocker lobes DO have sharp edges so it's not that big of deal I think. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Farfromovin said:
Stripped the injector hold down bolt threads in cyl 1 :( Also inspected my cam and found that most injector lobes were very sharp and had zero chamfer on the edges... FML LOL.
Even with the special oil you were using?! :(

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I confess, I have never rubbed an injector lobe, despite quite a few cam inspections.

But I would NOT worry about the injector lobe's having sharp edges. The roller feature of the injector rockers eliminates any edge contact ability. So a sharp edge cannot be from wear, and it will not rub a hole through a lifter.

Any hints and tips for the rest of us on how to avoid stripping injector hold down bolt threads? I will be doing this job next week.

Dan

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
DanG144 said:
I confess, I have never rubbed an injector lobe, despite quite a few cam inspections.

But I would NOT worry about the injector lobe's having sharp edges. The roller feature of the injector rockers eliminates any edge contact ability. So a sharp edge cannot be from wear, and it will not rub a hole through a lifter.

Any hints and tips for the rest of us on how to avoid stripping injector hold down bolt threads? I will be doing this job next week.

Dan
Here's a tip, don't use a m6x1.00x55mm grade 12.9 bolt. It's too short! I think a 60-65 mm would be a better fit. I got those dimensions from another thread here and although it was shorter than OEM, it seemed "ok" at first. Until the torque wrench just slipped :eek: So now I get to stack recoils, should be fun tonight :D

If you use new stretch bolts it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
New Bosch Micro Edge wipers, replaced worn out RainX's.
$10 each @ Auto Zone. The Bosch Micro Edge's were made in Belgium, the Bosch ICONS made in China and double the price. Maybe the ICONS are a better wiper but Belgium gets my money this time:)