What did you do to your car today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Got the brakes back on and the car on the ground. So what do you think? Too low?

It's actually level. Just low and level.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
I built the adapter myself from oEM parts . i was very careful to match the 1 with the 1 and the 2 with the 2.

I have a set of 03's on their way and this should put an end to the problem.

P

TDIinTexas said:
How was the smoke?

When I changed my injectors over to the new style plug, I pulled the purple clip out of the plug end that goes on the car and inserted the wires into the new plug, requiring no adapter. Basically just changing out the plug end.

Did you build the adapter or buy it? If you fear that the wires are crossed then pull the clip and re-install them. First time I put the wires in they were backwards, car was a turd. Switched them around and it became a rocket. I believe it was the original plug that wasn't labeled pins 1 & 2, which caused the mix up for me.

I'm not referring to the plug on the end on inj #3, but the plug that it plugs into on the car (with metal clip).

David

Last edited:

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
btcost said:
Tdiin Texas:

as asked how was the smoke?? if you had a lot of smoke and low power your needle lift sensor conversion did not work.

maybe just a loose wire. . these cars are dogs w/o the needle lift sensor.
No, I was approaching tothemax's problem from 2 different angles.

I didn't have have smoke issues, never drove mine. I started it and could tell there was a problem, shut it down and got it right away.

My solution is the same as tothemax's adapter, just minus the adapter :D

Last edited:

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Filled up the Golf for less than $50 bucks!! oh JOY!
and Washed and washed and washed and then Waxed and waxed. man that thing was dirty. but it looks good now!! but damn the Rock chips in the hood, there are a LOT of them. still looks good though

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There was about as much smoke as there was power ... NONE

Maybe the person that mounted my nozzles and shimmed them did nor have set at the correct pressure. There was plenty of boost but maybe not enough fuel?

btcost said:
Tdiin Texas:

as asked how was the smoke?? if you had a lot of smoke and low power your needle lift sensor conversion did not work.

maybe just a loose wire. . these cars are dogs w/o the needle lift sensor.

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
I replaced the window regulator for my mum's new Beetle (Turbo S Gasser) just in time for winter.

Ran a tank of 500PPM thru to get up here to Boise and I think my car didn't like it. Old CEL for EGR stuck valve code came back and bubbles in fuel line with hard start due to fuel starvation leads me to believe clogged fuel filter and bad seals at the T. Tomorrow back home in Orem, I Fuel filter change will happen.

Last week I converted all my markers and brake lights to LED. Looks very ill.

Chubber

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Saturday I installed a complete tint kit for the windows and only screwed up a couple of spots. Damn heater wires in the back made a few tiny bubbles and I missed a little spot where the old "alarm" sticker used to be on the back window, but it already feels cooler inside. (It's still warm here in Florida)

I spent about half of the day chasing wiring issues to find my possessed window problem, but without real avail.

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
Did an oil change and disabled the DRLs. But while doing the oil change I got sidetracked a little and forgot to put the drain plug back in. And after pouring in a whole gallon, suddenly remembered that I hadn't put it back in. Luckly I had left the container under the vehicle so it didn't go all over the driveway. So I figured I lost about 2 1/2 quarts before I could get the drain plug threaded correctly. Made me feel old.....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This morning I raised the rear to the top (almost) of the coilover adjustment and the rear is now about 1/2" higher, and a bit higher than the front. I like that better.

I've barely driven the car, and it hasn't been aligned yet. The front bar is still disconnected because I broke a bolt in the control arm removing it. And it occurs to me that I may not be able to connect it anyway at this ride height--longer links required.

On the brief drive I took last night it felt great. It's still firm--the Konis are about 350F/200R but progressive--so it's not a limo. But it seems nice. George drove it to get coffee this afternoon: I wanted to make sure he didn't identify anything as loose. He said it was good, except for the wheelspin. But that has nothing to do with the suspension. Maybe if it gets calm enough for me to get out of here for a few minutes I'll find out.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
egibbys said:
Did an oil change and disabled the DRLs. But while doing the oil change I got sidetracked a little and forgot to put the drain plug back in. And after pouring in a whole gallon, suddenly remembered that I hadn't put it back in. Luckly I had left the container under the vehicle so it didn't go all over the driveway. So I figured I lost about 2 1/2 quarts before I could get the drain plug threaded correctly. Made me feel old.....
Think of it like an oil flush :confused: That way you don't feel so bad ;)

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
today i,
changed the fuel filter, cabin filter and air filter. cleaned the snow screen. changed the oil filter, the bp filter and added new oil. tomorrow new glow plugs. gotta start thinking about new struts soon.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Replaced the thermostat with one from NAPA, supposedly 195 degrees.

Ran at 160-170.

This is even lower than the one I replaced, which was running 175 on cold mornings and 186 on warm afternoons and in the summer.

Blast it.

Will have to do it again - cost another gallon of antifreeze.

Dan

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
Fix a boost leak that I found coming right off the turbo , ( is not fun to take the oem steel skid plate off).

Chased some vibration noise from the cat back, still have noise!

Checked my tire presure and found all 4 tires almost empty!! 21psi to 26psi!! Now they have 40psi.

seninho

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
delvi__acevedo said:
Fix a boost leak that I found coming right off the turbo , ( is not fun to take the oem steel skid plate off).

Chased some vibration noise from the cat back, still have noise!

Checked my tire presure and found all 4 tires almost empty!! 21psi to 26psi!! Now they have 40psi.

how's the car's power with the new engine compared to the alh?

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
Got the wagon re-inspected after the windshield was replaced (flying rock). Yes, I got a Raintronic/Mirrortronic windshield, and installed the mirror and ran some of the wiring. Nothing's actually connected yet.

--Chris

KROUT

persona non grata
You really should have done an lsd while you had it out. I am droping Phils off to get installed today.

delvi__acevedo said:
Is better, I just don't have enough traction now:D

TDI_Votex

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora Votex, 2003, Gris Platine
Repaired my jobber wiper stalk. Windshield washer liquid pump was not pumping.

Also, been receiving a birthday card from my dealer each years since I bought my Jetta in 2003. :D

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Let's see, I finished up with the install of my FK E-codes, complete with 5000K HID retrofit and foglights finally wired up. Excellent nighttime vision, miles away from stock.

Also, while I had the underdash apart, also wired up my CheckTemp3 and installed it in the left-most empty slot on the mid-dash. Done and done, now my back needs some rest.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Control arm bushings ( TT's ) and a wheel bearing. Installed a defective Fan Control module. Blast it, now I have to take the skid plate off and try another one ...

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
andreigbs said:
Let's see, I finished up with the install of my FK E-codes, complete with 5000K HID retrofit and foglights finally wired up. Excellent nighttime vision, miles away from stock.

Also, while I had the underdash apart, also wired up my CheckTemp3 and installed it in the left-most empty slot on the mid-dash. Done and done, now my back needs some rest.
any pics? How bad is the glare (I know that sounds like a loaded question).

This seems a LOT easier than the aftermarket projectors.

Last edited:

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
delvi__acevedo said:
Is better, I just don't have enough traction now:D
Delvi,
Take some of the air back out of those tires! It will help them stop spinning so much. Looking forward to seeing (and drooling over) this beast this weekend.

Steve

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
Sootman said:
Delvi,
Take some of the air back out of those tires! It will help them stop spinning so much. Looking forward to seeing (and drooling over) this beast this weekend.
Steve
Thank you Steve, I'm looking forward to meet you guys too:D

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Shawnz said:
any pics? How bad is the glare (I know that sounds like a loaded question).

This seems a LOT easier than the aftermarket projectors.
No glare to speak of, E-code projectors include cut-off shield to prevent glare. Even my fogs are shielded. And they *are* aftermarket as well (Depo branded). I haven't taken pics yet, but I will with lights on/off and post them in my member pics page. For a grand total of $300 my night-time vision is VASTLY improved.

Edit for PICS: please excuse the iPhone's poor nighttime camera function.

Last edited:

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
andreigbs said:
No glare to speak of, E-code projectors include cut-off shield to prevent glare. Even my fogs are shielded. And they *are* aftermarket as well (Depo branded). I haven't taken pics yet, but I will with lights on/off and post them in my member pics page. For a grand total of $300 my night-time vision is VASTLY improved.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. From the sounds of it I might go this route with a bi-xenon H4 HID.

Do the fog lights actually make a significant difference? Did you do 5000k for those too?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
The bi-xenon route will be tricky, depending on what headlamps you buy. Heat is another issue, as is wiring.

The fogs make as much light as my old stock lights made, put it that way. And the fogs are not HID, btw, just regular H3 halogens. My low-beams are 5000K HID; would've opted for the 4300K but couldn't fit it at a bargain price.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you use a harness and relay to power them up directly to the battery or did you run the through the euroswitch though the existing wiring? Can you provide details how you wired them up? If you used relays, where did you mount the relays?

I have just bought some as well and I am trying to decide the best way to wire them up.

tnx

andreigbs said:

Last edited:

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
tothemax said:
Did you use a harness and relay to power them up directly to the battery or did you run the through the euroswitch? Can you provide details how you wired them up? If you sued relays, where did you locate the relays?

I have just bought some as well and I am trying to decide the best way to wire them up.

tnx
The Depo headlights came WITH a wire harness, which included a relay of course. I was gladly surprised. I used the supplied wiring harness and relay as a simple PnP, just added an HID kit instead of halogen low-beams. I opted for the slim ballast design; these fit inside of the headlight housing and the covers do their job properly: no fogging!

The wiring harness was a little longer than I needed, haven't cut it yet, but I may end up doing so to shorten it. As it is, it is mostly hidden out of view right under the metal edge of the hood latch base. Zipties are your friend.

For the fogs, I use the repair wires to run wiring from my Euroswitch to the first headlight harness, then spliced in another wire and ran it across to the other headlight harness. Since I already have a relay controlling/protecting everything else, I didn't use one for the fogs. Still, the fogs turn off as supposed to, with high beams on. Wiring is hidden as close to stock location, i.e. under battery box and along that plastic "spine". Works great and looks good. Good luck with your install, i'll try to post some pics of the end-result.