What did you do to your car today?

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
But, there's a rattle from the right rear. Could a worn top shock mount make a sound like two pieces of plywood bouncing together?
Check to see that the bolt that secures the shock to the top mount is tight. I used a star washer to keep it tight when I realized mine was making noise.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Replaced passenger side mirror for the 2nd time. PITA for sure. The first replacement didn't have the puddle light nor did it tip back automatically in reverse. New one has puddle light and I'm hoping a bit of reprogramming will get the lowering feature to restart.
I REALLY miss the tip back feature from my '01... My dad still has the car, and I bet he never even uses it!

lapse

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Golf TDI
Ripped apart my dash because the key removal tools weren't unlocking the springs on the radio.

Tried removing the face plate on my Premium VI but it's locked tight.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Ripped apart my dash because the key removal tools weren't unlocking the springs on the radio.

Tried removing the face plate on my Premium VI but it's locked tight.

After I insert the keys and hear them "click", I use a thin 1.5" putty knife to pry lightly on each side. I'm toying with removing those catches the next time I have to remove the radio.

lapse

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Golf TDI
After I insert the keys and hear them "click", I use a thin 1.5" putty knife to pry lightly on each side. I'm toying with removing those catches the next time I have to remove the radio.
All of them but one were clicking. I had a putty knife through the side and a bunch of prying tools through the top but nothing would give.

Removing the clips sounds like a good idea but how does this keep your radio from sliding out?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
All of them but one were clicking. I had a putty knife through the side and a bunch of prying tools through the top but nothing would give.

Removing the clips sounds like a good idea but how does this keep your radio from sliding out?
Were you able to fix the malfunctioning tab?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Unless the radio is tilted so the front is lower than the back, it shouldn't due to weight and friction. If so, a little piece of friction tape should do the trick.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Unless the radio is tilted so the front is lower than the back, it shouldn't due to weight and friction. If so, a little piece of friction tape should do the trick.
The wires push them out, plus every time you accelerate it will be in your shifter.
Ask me how I know.

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
What did I do to my car today?

Had it towed to the dealership after it died just outside of town. Leaving for a 30 minute drive home, got out on the highway and into 4th gear, and the oil indicator light suddenly comes on, followed by the MFA flashing STOP CAR at me. Pulled over to the edge of the highway just as the engine stopped. :eek:

After being pushed over the edge of the hill, rolled down into a driveway and waited for the tow truck.

I'm going to be checking with the dealership and hoping for at least bearable news, and finding out if my insurance covers renting a car. :mad:

I'm assuming something must have given out in the oil system, as I had about 4000 miles before I was due for a change, and the car hasn't been using oil.

Not a happy fellow tonight, although everyone got home safe and sound, so I guess I should count what blessings I can.

Wish me luck, folks.

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
^Rough stuff man. Best wishes!

I finally changed the damn air filter today. I've put 30K on the car since I got it (total 48K miles) and I have no idea if it's ever been replaced so it was overdue. Filter didn't look to horrid, but I replaced it anyway.

Also picked up 4 new OEM 15in steelies for 80 bucks total. Put some brand new Michelin MXV4 Primacy tires on them and ordered my half-moon hubcaps as well. They caps should be on by next Wednesday, will post pics.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
:D That must have been fun!

So what did you do to fix it?
I had to replace the radio cage.
It was single din.
I'd bet that 1 tab / clip would hold it if you are having problems, but it may squeak/ rattle.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had to replace the radio cage.
It was single din.
I'd bet that 1 tab / clip would hold it if you are having problems, but it may squeak/ rattle.
OK, I see where the single DIN might slide easier than my Double DIN due to less weight and being higher up. Hopefully, I won't have to remove the radio for a long time now.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
Changed my buddys timing belt on his 02, gave it a diesel purge, it will get injectors and a tune in a few weeks.

On my 05 changed the oil and filter. Checked the michelins for any odd wear. Diagnosing a boost leak poop. Who has egr plates nowadays?

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
Installed an EGT probe, PD 150 intake and made a doggie collar for the boost hose at the EGR. My back is killing me!

Last edited:

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Bought a really nice red 5 speed 02 Beetle TDI with a shredded timing belt and a nasty tan cloth interior. Car made it just past 150k on the original belt :eek:

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Finally bought myself a Hightline CECM for my 2010 jetta, this evening did Fog light harness / Bixenon Shutter harness

Got a questions though, i used i believe 14 gauge twisted wire from Speakers (cut myself a harness from 2004 Passat Wagon) should i untwist them or can i leave the wires like that for Fogs

thank you much

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Found a leak on my bypass filter that's been making spots on my driveway - clamp broke and the filter wore a little hole in itself against the bracket so I need to replace that soon.

Also, tore apart my drivers door and found a bad switch so the door never locks. Need to decide if I'm going to replace it with the OEM like switch or put a different switch in.

I ordered a set of Raxles to replace the originals that have torn boots and lots of slop in them.

Also have a new thermostat to install - existing one won't get over 180F unless you're driving steady state for at least 20 minutes (and it's not even cold out) and if you're loading it up heavy with a trailer, it gets warm (210+) quickly.

I swear I'm going to track down my vibration some how or another and I have a handfull of other things to do like put on my other turbo, maybe do some intake manifold modifications, re-route my rats nest of gauge wiring, etc.

It might sound silly, but I'm thinking of pulling the engine/transmission to do all this work. I'm already taking the axles out and draining the coolant to change the thermostat - at that point, it's just the power steering reservoir, a couple wiring connections, shifter linkage and 4 bolts for the motor mounts and the whole thing comes out the bottom...it would be so much easier to work on.

Too many projects, too little time :)