What did you do to your car today?

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Went to the Dodge dealership and picked up 2 of these (one for my MKIV and one for the girls MKV)

Can't beat the price and works really well. No reception lost. With mine I went from an S2000 whip and noticed a slight increase in reception at the house

What I was working with. It has seen better days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
oh yes, I have read through those threads and that's why I'm following the advice of Herm TDI who explains, "Adding the 2-cycle oil will improve the aromatic content of your fuel. This is one of the reasons to use 2-cycle oil at every fill up.
Lubricate your pump and engine top end and it also helps to keep seals and fuel lines from shringage and becoming brittle (leaking).
I run ashless 2-cycle oil in every diesel I've owned...even my generator is diesel"
Anecdotal contributions from other members have mentioned -quieter engines, less smoke @WOT, better fuel economy, whiter teeth, etc.
I know my car is healthy and I do notice small changes in performance so I will monitor the fuel economy and after a few tanks I'll connect the VCDS and compare against my current VCDS logs.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Drove the TDI to autozone to pick up a warranty alternator for the 2000 gasser I am trying to sell. Sure enough, vacuum this am, drive to the car wash to clean it before people come look at it today and the battery light comes on. gheez...it lasted 3 years, but I have to give it credit since it did survive the time the pulley seized, the belt shredded and the alternator ingested a great many rubber bits.

I'm getting good at this. Removed, drove to the zone, and it replaced in 90 minutes flat.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
oh yes, I have read through those threads and that's why I'm following the advice of Herm TDI who explains, "Adding the 2-cycle oil will improve the aromatic content of your fuel. This is one of the reasons to use 2-cycle oil at every fill up.
Lubricate your pump and engine top end and it also helps to keep seals and fuel lines from shringage and becoming brittle (leaking).
I run ashless 2-cycle oil in every diesel I've owned...even my generator is diesel"
Anecdotal contributions from other members have mentioned -quieter engines, less smoke @WOT, better fuel economy, whiter teeth, etc.
I know my car is healthy and I do notice small changes in performance so I will monitor the fuel economy and after a few tanks I'll connect the VCDS and compare against my current VCDS logs.
FYI, I don't think Herm has owned a common rail TDI with a DPF. 2 cycle oil does help the earlier cars: I ran it in my wagon for some time before switching to other additives. But I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with it in a new TDI.

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I would not run 2 cycle in any CR TDI unless there were "off road" mods to the emissions system. Even then. Too many other great options for safer additives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Last winter i was drivings my cousings Q7 TDI and saw that his footwell would stay on while i drove the car, so activated footwell lights via Terminal 58d, not they run at night when the Lights are on and i can adjust brightness on the MFA, looks pretty cool,

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI, I don't think Herm has owned a common rail TDI with a DPF. 2 cycle oil does help the earlier cars: I ran it in my wagon for some time before switching to other additives. But I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with it in a new TDI.
I'm quite happy with my mkIV Jetta with BEW engine (cam still looks new after 125K miles) and I think it will be happier with 4oz of TC-W3 in the tank every fill-up.;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Can you and torqueit comment on what additives you've switched to?
I'm in a bit of a unique position: I tend to use what gets damaged in shipping to us or what we have in excess inventory. I like Stanadyne, also use Powerservice gray bottle in hopes it improves cetane a bit. I really think as long as the additive increases lubricity it doesn't matter. I'd run B2 or B5 instead if it was readily available to me.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
The new blue aluminum catch-can arrived today so I screwed their mounting bracket on the lip of the battery box and used 5/8 heater hose and a 1/2~5/8 swedge to adapt the 3/8 hose to the CCV outlet and IA inlet. The previous effort using an inline air filter didn't contain the vented oil very well but this purpose built unit should be up to the task ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Let the B4 sit at the airport while driving around Denver in a Chrysler 200. What a rental appliance. Best thing you can say about it is it doesn't rattle. Gutless, much?

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
The new blue aluminum catch-can arrived today so I screwed their mounting bracket on the lip of the battery box and used 5/8 heater hose and a 1/2~5/8 swedge to adapt the 3/8 hose to the CCV outlet and IA inlet. The previous effort using an inline air filter didn't contain the vented oil very well but this purpose built unit should be up to the task ;)
Got a link to a bigger picture of this?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
realized that my LR brake disc looks way too old and crusty - that caliper does not appear to be working well or at all...argh. just one more thing.

993cc

Veteran Member
Ottawa ON, Canada; Paul Smith's, NY, USA; Amherst
TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon, Bought September 2009 with 60,000 Km on the clock. Died September 2013, at 142,000 km. in a collision with a moose. 2006 MklV BEW Jetta wagon Bought October 2013, 136,000 Km.
Destroyed my car, (and two moose) last night. Ugh

Not sure this belongs in an "Upgrades" thread, but it does sort of fit "What did you do to your car today?".

So last night, driving home from picking up a friend at the airport, we come down a long straightaway toward a car that just will not turn off its high beams. Finally, we flash our high beams to try to get them to lower theirs, and what do we see? A bull and a cow moose maybe 20 feet ahead. Too late to do anything except brace. We assume we killed both the moose (mooses? meese?) although the cow, after lying dazed on the roadway for 15 minutes, disappeared into the woods.

Now if my values were the right ones, I would mostly feel gratitude for being essentially unhurt (Sturdy car, the Jetta). I would feel sad for the poor animals (sentient beings after all) who suffered terribly with their shattered limbs before expiring in the gutter.

Instead I am mourning for the loss of my car. Weird. The machine has no feelings.

Last edited:

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Last edited:

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
If you start a thread on the installation and performance of this please send me a link. I am currently using a BMW cyclonic version, but this looks a lot better for less money.
Installation is straightforward with the supplied parts but you will need to adapt hose from 3/4" (CCV and Intake Pipe) to 3/8" on the catch-can. You get about 4' of blue polyethylene hose so that's why I chose the blue cannister.:)

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI