What did you do to your car today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Got RC3+ for the A3. It's super smooth, and I'd like to believe it's quiet enough to leave alone with a 2" straight pipe, no cat, no muffler, but I think I'll have to put one on to keep my neighbors happy. What a smooth, strong tune, a hair over 20 PSI on the gauge, 19 actual, I think. Also filled up the car and got 42.5 on the last tank, which included either one or two trips to the dyno.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Put a new glow plug relay in the '97. What a PITA that thing is to reach. A 4-year old would have a lot less trouble. But the CEL is gone. Horray!

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Pioneer DEH-P7000BT and NcNally 3 gauge combo w/ 42 DD Mounting plate - Major PITA

On Saturday the boys at Vision Performance http://www.vision-performance.com/

installed my Pioneer DEH-P7000BT radio w/ Phone Bluetooth and iPod connectivity. Highly recommended. They did a great job on the radio and went way beyond the call of duty trying to complete the gauge install.

http://reviews.cnet.com/in-dash-car-stereos/pioneer-deh-p7000bt/4505-6729_7-32815174.html?tag=mncol;lst

Great unit ! Still have to figure out how it works. That part was pretty easy. The hard part was doing the gauge install above it.

If interested, you can read all the BS I went through to complete this install here.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2323416#post2323416

Most people will read this and think "Why did you not just install the gauges first and then do the radio install after?"

Because there is a bunch of wires, adapters, connectors and harness and other BS behind the radio to connect to the OEM connector. That takes a bunch of room and the radio does not fit into the DIN space unless one lifts all that stuff above the radio as it's being pushed into it's space. One needs full access to the space above to pull all that up as the radio is being pushed into the DIN space.

Anyway,

I installed 3 McNally Gauges:

1- The standard Boost/ EGT Combo (relocated from the Vent area) Did not like the fact that it cut off the A/C on that side.

2- The standard Oil Press and oil Temp. Combo

3- A Volt gauge (What's the use of that???) combined with IAT. I put the thermocouple in the racepipe so it measures IAT. Very responsive. I know I will get use out of the real time digital IAT. It says water temp on the gauge but i use it for IAT.

I am happy with it so far. We'll see how it holds up.

Looks pretty good at night too and it matches up the OEM dashboard colors well.

Now I need to go learn the radio and bluetooth set up.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also got rid of the custom vent gauge holder and returned to the OEM vent

Also got rid of the custom vent gauge holder

and returned to the OEM vent.

Now I can have the right and also the left side of my body cool. The gauge location was great to be able to see it well while driving but is sucked as far as getting the A/C out. A/C would only come out of the right vents. I did not like that set up at all.

Now I have to look a little lower to see the gauges but i get some A/C.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tom,

Do you feel some added power with it?

How much added HP would you say it provides you?

Tbirdtree said:
Had 11mm injection pump installed today!!

Tbirdtree

Veteran Member
TDI
none at the moment
Yes, definetly more power there. I was a little under fueled before, now it's delivering plenty. I'll let you know how it feels on the way home tomorrow. I was a little to tired to play much this evening. I'm gonna run on the Dyno at LCD again in a few weeks, It'll be interesting to see the difference.

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
tothemax said:
Pierre,

I've been looking for a way to mount one more guage for oil pressure (or temp, or perhaps combo), and I don't want to pull my Double DIN and put a three-spot in.

Do you still have this and are willing to sell? Shoot me a PM.

Thanks.

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
tothemax said:

and returned to the OEM vent.

Now I can have the right and also the left side of my body cool. The gauge location was great to be able to see it well while driving but is sucked as far as getting the A/C out. A/C would only come out of the right vents. I did not like that set up at all.

Now I have to look a little lower to see the gauges but i get some A/C.
Any chance you want to sell the vent gauge pod since you're not using it anymore?

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry guys, Robert (MAXRPM) is already buying is. I had already made a deal w/ him before I pulled it out.

P

Naimanator said:
Any chance you want to sell the vent gauge pod since you're not using it anymore?

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tom,

Let me know when you go there, maybe we can go together. I am planning a trip there after Nov 7th. I should have a vnt 17/22 and a 11 mm fuel pump by then. Once I get these in I am going for RC5 or RC6. That should move me a few notches up from the bottom.

P

Tbirdtree said:
Yes, definetly more power there. I was a little under fueled before, now it's delivering plenty. I'll let you know how it feels on the way home tomorrow. I was a little to tired to play much this evening. I'm gonna run on the Dyno at LCD again in a few weeks, It'll be interesting to see the difference.

lelton

TDI
1986 Jetta TDI
Replaced the ball joint, re/re the brake with antiseize, and spray rubber components with 303, ALL on the right side only.

unjester

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Fixed broken window regulator clips this weekend. What a pain that job is, and the parts are expensive too ($50 per side). Although only one had broken, I fixed both because I don't want to deal with this ever again. Ugh, I'd much rather be doing performance mods than stuff like that!

Doug71

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd
Da~da~da said:
Well after two years of work, this weekend I finally finished with everything on the car with the exception of the in-pro smoked turns and an RC chip. Everything else is done Whoooooooot!. Thanks to everyone on here and Tex for the support, ideas and excellent write-ups! :cool:

For the list click here
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2299040#post2299040
OMG You finished everything... NOOOOO!!!! How can you finish everything. There is nothing more for you to do to the car? WOW I might get there one day.. If I ever start that is.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Pierre, those Mcnally gauges look great in your car! Nice lighting and I really like how the font on the radio resembles that on the digital readouts. Clean custom look. 2 thumbs up here!

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Yesterday, I finished replacing my Glove Box and putting in the Brushed aluminum trim. This weekend I am going for a new stereo possibly (if I can make up my mind on one)

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tnx Phillip. It came out pretty good an I am very happy so far. Also Starting to learn the radio/ bluetooth/ iPod functions.

Pretty cool to be talking on the phone through the car stereo. My car will have at least one thing that complies w/ the law.

Farfromovin said:
Pierre, those Mcnally gauges look great in your car! Nice lighting and I really like how the font on the radio resembles that on the digital readouts. Clean custom look. 2 thumbs up here!

Off to do my lift pump install

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just because I can't seem to leave well enough alone I swapped the coilovers out of IBW this morning and put in some Koni Reds and stock springs that Corey had left behind (when he took my FSDs). After driving up to NH on Sunday I (and the dog) decided we wanted a smoother ride. And since the wagon is my car for snowboarding I was really concerned about the ride height and driving in the snow. I've always loved Reds, and it's nice to have them back. I set them one half turn off full soft, and they feel great. I don't have the front bar connected yet (broken bolt) but the car still handles well.

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Just because I can't seem to leave well enough alone I swapped the coilovers out of IBW this morning and put in some Koni Reds and stock springs that Corey had left behind (when he took my FSDs). After driving up to NH on Sunday I (and the dog) decided we wanted a smoother ride. And since the wagon is my car for snowboarding I was really concerned about the ride height and driving in the snow. I've always loved Reds, and it's nice to have them back. I set them one half turn off full soft, and they feel great. I don't have the front bar connected yet (broken bolt) but the car still handles well.
that's why I always call you the suspension master:D

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
delvi__acevedo said:
that's why I always call you the suspension master:D
Do you realize how many posts we three have in this thread?

:D

Off topic. I know.

I think this winter it's time for a lift kit. I don't want a repeat of last year.

I'm cleaning up my winter Blizzak WS60's now now as we're typing.

BrianCT

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
I can see the WET snow on the cars, isn't that stuff ugly and hard to drive in??
LOLOLOL
We get the DRY stuff here, "NICE" !

(I am cutting in to stop the continuous posting of you's...)
:rolleyes:

KROUT

persona non grata
BrianCT said:
Do you realize how many posts we three have in this thread?

:D

Off topic. I know.

I think this winter it's time for a lift kit. I don't want a repeat of last year.

I'm cleaning up my winter Blizzak WS60's now now as we're typing.

BrianCT

Or move south.;)

SpacemanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI for me :(
Remap

Alligator/Kerma S1 remap - WOOT!! :D:D

Smokes like crazy but I can live with that for now :cool:

Fingers crossed for no snow until after Saturday when I put my winter wheels on! :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
john.jackson9213 said:
Replaced the BK ECU with a GQ ECU and plugged in my new Scangauge last night.

Starting to play with the Scangauge today.

96 B4V
Any noticeable driving difference between the ECUs?