What could happen if my torsion value is not set correctly?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I did clean up the egr valve and inside the manifold it didnt look too bad to remove and clean; would even a small amount of buildup affect this?
I am getting plenty of boost the car drives wonderful no problems just those
A small amount shouldn't be bad.
Others here a wizards with logs from boost actual & requested, mass air flow actual and requested, and RPM

Did you check the pointer in post 14 to Ross-Tech?
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16485/P0101/000257

Last edited:

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
I only visually checked the wires; Good call on checking continuity

I have checked ross techs page and more or less i have went through the entire list...so far it hasnt been on so i hope it is solved! (been 80miles so far)

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
So after 100 miles it came back on :(

I am going to have to dive deeper into it as i think the car was with this when i bought from owner in which case i did swap the maf sensor from an alh which then passed smog

Next step is checking continuity ...

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
everything checked in okay from the plug; im thinking of trying a brand new bosch MAF for $60 but it says only for the ALH, bew and alh are interchangeable right?

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
No, the ALH and BEW MAF's are different. The BEW one costs more too.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
I just read this too; What would you guys do:

Buy bosch maf for $130-$150

Buy lifetime warranty but aftermarket maf for $50

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Hey glad to report i fixed most problems with the car since last post

CEL is officially off (changed from running and older ALH maf to genuine and revised BEW and that fixed many problems! I did not know they were different!!! anyways thank God thats solved!)

Tensioner is lined up so everything is set in place now :)

And with Torsion at -2.5 mpg was at 35mpg; strange as i used AC even when torsion was at 0.0 and got 36-37mpg

Should i consider going to say 1.5 torsion value? atleast 40mpg is great but anything below seems off no?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Glad you've got things mostly sorted out. Including the torsion. 35 mpg is a bit low, but refresh my memory is your car an auto? If so low 40's are where you should be.

As far as adjusting the torsion for mileage, run a tank or two through the car see where it stands, adjust accordingly.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
car is 04 golf 5spd

I ran 2 16gal tanks and got 34.5-36mpg with torsion set at -2.5

is it possible to get more mpg with a positive number?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
That's one of the advantages of owning a vcds. You can experiment. Try it see what happens. I think I mentioned before, my 05 5spd is right around 52 right now during the summer. So you've got at least 10 mpg to gain.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
yup just filled up again so i will adjust torsion at +2.5 and report back (hope its not too drastic of an approach)

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
As a follow up;

seems to be better mpg so far (half tank left) at +2.5 torsion, acceleration is slightly diminished which may be why its getting more mpg?

anyways i will report back once i fill up if im able to reach over 40mpg finally...

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Although i saw a tad higher mpg 38-40mpg with +2.5 torsion; i noticed a ticking sound under load and my rpm would drop below normal rpm with ac on, at times; i have since adjusted torsion to +1.0 to check...will post results once i finish this tank lol

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I was fighting intermittent rough idle and low MPG over the last 6 months. I used to consistently get 52+ mpg and it slowly went down to low 40s over this time. I messed with all different torsion values trying to smooth the idle and increase mpg. It ended up being the crankshaft position sensor. $40 part, takes 15 minutes to replace. The old sensor was reporting torsion by a full point higher. Not sure how/why, but I took readings before and after replacing it and the torsion reading went down by a full point with the new one. FE went right back up to 53 mpg (highway 70mph) on the first tank after replacing it and the idle fixed.

You should be getting much better than 38-40mpg. Worth a shot for $40 and easy to replace...

I also replaced the camshaft position sensor a few days later for the heck of it. At almost 260k miles, I got plenty of life out of it. Don't think I needed it, but also fairly easy to replace.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Wow so the CPS can mess with mpg or are you saying it just shows torsion value accurately now? Ill look into that thanks!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mountain lion,
When you took the old CPS out was the tip slimed with oil or was it clean?

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
If I understand the sensor correctly, the CPS is critical to timing and injection. If it is off, FE will suffer as a result, similar to adjusting your torsion to far out.

Wonneber, the old CPS felt a bit oily, but wasn't dripping oil or look like it was sitting in a pool of it. The rough idle went away immediately and FE was back to normal with the new one.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just for informational purposes, before you replace the sensors warm your car up and read the torsion value again. Then change the sensor(s) I'm interested if it has any effect on the torsion setting as mountain lion suggests.

There are a number of people that have the same problem as you. Low fuel economy even after checking the usual culprits. I wonder if the crank sensor could be the silver bullet?

The cam sensor will be more difficult to change and you'll have to be careful you don't drop anything down into the timing belt path.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Try the crank sensor and see what happens then if you feel like doing the other after a tank or two go ahead.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Stuff a rag or old t shirt in the timing belt so if you drop the 10mm bolt it wont go far.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Well i just realized with VCDS it shows if its had ECU tunings so to speak and this one has a stage 1 installed from malone as i checked with flashzilla so maybe thats why i can only get 35-38mpg and 40mpg without AC? Glad i realized this part as i never drove another BEW only ALH

Good call on that i will report back!

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Unless the tune is way off, they should help improve FE if you keep your foot out of it. The injection start times and quantities will be tweaked for improved fuel combustion (and power). Ideally the EGR is 'tuned' out of the mix as well which also helps. I know my RC1 tune put me up +3 mpg on the highway on my bone stock 04 (this was done after 80k miles).

Get that new CKP sensor in and see how it goes - I really hope it fixes things up for you...don't forget to record your torsion before and after just so I'm not the only one that saw different readings and please let us know!

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Still waiting on it!

As for driving style im keeping it under 3k rpm and typically no more than 50% accelerator pedal while driving mainly in turbo stages (whistling) - I keep in gear until stop to avoid consuming fuel but still nothing over 39mpg!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wonneber, the old CPS felt a bit oily, but wasn't dripping oil or look like it was sitting in a pool of it. The rough idle went away immediately and FE was back to normal with the new one.
I'm wondering if it's why my MPG is down a bit.
Injection quantity seems a bit spread out also.
Maybe I should throw a scope on it to see the pattern first. :confused:
Thanks.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
besides torsion value anything else i can check before installing crankshaft position sensor to make sure my old one is ready to toss away? might work on the car tomorrow and post back! if not monday the latest