What chassis is the best candidate for TDI conversion?

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
What Audi chassis mate up with the VW A4 chassis? Is the new Audi A3 based on the Golf V or the IV?

I'm wondering if an Audi TT roadster would be a good candidate for a VE 1.9 TDI swap.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Perfect mate up would be an Audi A3, since it shares the transverse engine layout, and is essentially a platform twin to the A4-generation (don't confuse the designations) G/J/NB.

Installing it into any other Audi requires more work but is definitely possible but with more effort and cross-swapping of parts.

I was always under the impression that the TT was also build around the A4 chasis. Maybe more similar to the NB then the G/J. Perhaps I'm wrong but I know of many a folk who have taken the 1.8t from a wrecked TT to move into a B3 Passat (syncro - drool).

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There's one hiccup with the TT that you won't encounter with the Audi A3: Instrument cluster!

There are TDI versions of the Audi A3 sold elsewhere, but there is no TDI version of the TT anywhere, and hence no TT instrument cluster with a 4500 rpm redline and a glow plug warning lamp.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
What does the TT cluster look like? I bet you could use the software from a diesel cluster in the TT cluster. And the EPC light on the gassers is the glow plug light on the diesels... they're connected to the same line and if you drop a gas cluster in a TDI (well at least mine) the EPC light works as the glow plug light.

-Jason

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Perhaps an Audi Allroad would be a better candidate?

Regarding the cluster...I've only seen pictures, but it looks like a standard MFA cluster from a Jetta GLX. Anyone have more info? I'll hit the ETKA tonight and see if I can find the part numbers for both cars. If they match, then I should be able to swap in a TDI cluster.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Hmm. The boards look like they could be the same size... If you wanted to keep the colors right, could you use the cluster form an A3? Are they the same as the Golf / Jetta?

-Jason