What cars had starters that spin the the opposite way?

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
I have the original starter mounted behind the flywheel on the 1.9pd I have in my boat. It is a very close fit between the rear of the engine and the transom, so I am thinking I would like to mount the starter the other direction alongside the block ahead of the flywheel. To do this I need to find a starter that rotates the other direction. Anyone know from what car I can get a starter like this? How about the cars with an auto tranny, any chance they were mounted forward of the flywheel?

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
So is your starter from a Jetta/Beetle, or transverse? It sounds like it from your description. If so you'll need a starter from a Passat, as it is along side the transmission and does spin the other way. You may need a different flywheel too.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Doesn't a Quantum and Dasher starter spin the oppsite direction.....maybe some automatics too!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Sorry if this is a dumb question but can you swap the polarity to spin it the other way? I don't know much about motors.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Not really, the starter uses the body where it attached to the transmission for the ground. It has two wires, but both of them are positive, one's the excite wire and the other is the high current wire for the work to be done to turn it. So if you were to do some crazy isolation putting the positive as ground and ground it through the wire it could be possible, but not practical.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Pinion gear and associated hardware is only good for one direction. Can't just swap motor rotation direction, even if you could.

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
Perhaps you could look at the flywheel gear tooth pitch.

In the Toyota swaps, we use a Toyota flywheel machined to fit the VW bolt pattern and pilot. The Toyota starter faces "forward".

Worst case, you may be able to purchase just the flywheel from ACME adapters, and use a Toyota starter...

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Pinion gear and associated hardware is only good for one direction. Can't just swap motor rotation direction, even if you could.
I knew there was something dumb about the question even as I was typing it.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
My engine came from a 2005 Seat Ibiza Cupra, and yes it was a transverse arrangement. I made an aluminum plate that bolts to the rear of the engine under the flywheel with the rear engine mounts and starter mount on it. The end of the starter only clears the transom by a small 1/16" though. So I've been thinking if I can find a starter that turns the other way I would like to make a new mount on the front side of the plate and mount the starter along side the engine. I think I can use my flywheel with no issues as I can lay steel ruler in the bottom of the ring gear teeth and it clears the o.d. of the flywheel ahead of the ring gear ok. I can always chuck it in the lathe and machine a little off if I need more clearance. So any Passat starter will work or only certain years? Any one know how the auto starters are mounted?

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe if you want the teeth to mesh correctly you will have to change out the flywheel too. The starter pinion may not travel enough to take up that extra space of the Ibisa's flywheel. I also think that the TDI starters are a higher amperage starter than a 1.8T starter, the V-6 starter may be the same as the TDI starter. I have a vague recollection of Scott saying something like that when he was getting all my parts together for my Audi. Someone will probably be able to more fully confirm/deny this.

A flywheel for a 1.8T may fit for your application, do you just have holes drilled into the flywheel to connect the Transom?

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
"do you just have holes drilled into the flywheel to connect the Transom?"

That's correct, it's a jetdrive so I just drilled out the rivets and removed the extra plate and springs that made up the dual mass apparatus then drilled and tapped the flywheel to take the flange for the pump driveshaft. Then had the flywheel balanced with the flange bolted to it.
I checked the pinion travel on the starter I have and it does have enough travel to fully engage the ring gear teeth if mounted the other way as long as I mount it fairly tight to the rear plate.
So on these Passat starters would any year work from either the 1.9 or 2.0l tdi's or would it just be a certain range of years or only the 1.9 or the 2.0l?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Old English auto engines? I can't recall if the starter or generator would turn the opposite direction as US cars.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Only the longitudinal Passats or Audi A4-A6. 98-05, if you find a TDI starter it will have to be 04-05 2.0 TDI. I couldn't figure out if the V-6 passat has the same pinion gear as the 1.8T Passat.

I've expressed interest in your build before because my Wife's Uncle wants me to put a diesel into his jet boat, I may have to call on your expertize here soon.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks a million guys. I will look for one of the Passat starters. And jjordan I'll be happy to help with any info I can if you get started on a boat build.
Laurie.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Laurie, I'll shoot you a pm when I get closer to doing his boat. The help will be much appreciated.

Jon