What Bike attachment are you using?

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I have the VW carrier bars, am I stuck with the VW attachments? They look pretty decent anyhow, but what are you guys using for mountain bikes with the stock VW carrier bars. Thanks. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
I have removed the entire rear seat when I go travelling with our two mountain bikes. I put them on the outside edges inside the car. Follow? This leaves the most useable room while getting the best fuel economy having them inside. I know that this doesn't apply to you all with carrier bars but for those without this is an option which works quite well.

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
Thule makes the VW rack, so their trays will fit. Don't get the down-tube clamp-style holders. They suck. The fork mounts are much better. We have the Thule rack built especially for the NB. Front fork mounts open wide enough to clear "lawyer's lugs" on mountain bikes. The gripe I have with Yakima is that their bars are round, and round bars tend to slip.

alex wetmore

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Thule makes the VW rack, so their trays will fit. Don't get the down-tube clamp-style holders. They suck. The fork mounts are much better. We have the Thule rack built especially for the NB. Front fork mounts open wide enough to clear "lawyer's lugs" on mountain bikes. The gripe I have with Yakima is that their bars are round, and round bars tend to slip.

[/ QUOTE ]

The VW bars have a different shape than Thule bars and attachments mount differently. You can get a VW Adapter kit from Thule to make many of their products work, but they don't work out of the box.

I'm using ATOC (http://www.atoc.com) bike holders on my VW rack, but it took some hacking to make them work properly. If I were doing things again I would get a Thule rack (but the VW came with my car...)

alex

alex wetmore

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
I have removed the entire rear seat when I go travelling with our two mountain bikes. I put them on the outside edges inside the car. Follow? This leaves the most useable room while getting the best fuel economy having them inside. I know that this doesn't apply to you all with carrier bars but for those without this is an option which works quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this on long road trips.

I don't like to do it for shorter drives where I'm going to ride with others. I prefer to carpool. With a roofrack I can carry 3 bikes and 3-4 passengers (extra passenger if I'm carrying a tandem on the roof). Fuel economy is lower, but much higher than if all 3 of us took seperate cars.

alex

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
[ QUOTE ]
HOw come the down tube style suck???
What about this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, how about us folks whose bikes don't have forks?

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
no forks? I don't follow....I like the fork mounts too as being more rigid...the of course you gotta stash the front wheel somehwere...I sometimes tie it to the bike....

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
Ok....you talking about a bicylce with a front wheel support that ataches only to one side of the front wheel? still must have a provision for attaching the front wheel. I thought they were similar if not the same as a more "traditional" fork/hub but with only one side to clamp to...Rob "old school" M

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
Yeah, I have a single sided fork on my Mountain bike, you have to remove the disc caliper and then use a big hex wrench to remove the front wheel. Not a pain otherwise 'cuz you can change the tire without removing the wheel!

There is no way this would work with any fork mount, I need a frame clamping or frame hanging type rack - any more info on the hitch type? Brand?

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
[ QUOTE ]
HOw come the down tube style suck???

[/ QUOTE ]

I also much prefer fork mounts. The bike is held much tighter on the rack. Go behind a car with a downtube mounted bike sometime and watch them turn corners. The bike really sways. There are two problems. One is that the fork is *made* to take abuse, the downtube really isn't.
Two, the bike sits up much higher with both wheels on. Whether you're talking a downtube clamp, wheel clamp, or anthing other than a fork mount.

Having said that, I have to say there *are* some bikes for which a fork mount is a huge pain to use. Matter of fact, I have one downtube type bike mount for this purpose, but I pretty much don't use it. I always use a fork mount, either my Yakima or Rocky Mounts.

MilenP

Veteran Member
That's good, but why does it say "Yakima" on all the pics /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
BTW, what is meant that the bike rack will fit frames from 20mm-80mm? What are they measuring? I just bought a mountain bike, so I know nothing. I have a Trek 4900. Am I within those parameters?

yamsTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Platnium Gray
Yeah, I have the fork mount. Yakima does make different mounts though.

Powerstroke - Im sure that if you have a normal sized bike it will fit. I have a Gary Fisher Kai Tai that fits perfectly on top. Its a size 20 frame.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I have the fork mount. Yakima does make different mounts though.

Powerstroke - Im sure that if you have a normal sized bike it will fit. I have a Gary Fisher Kai Tai that fits perfectly on top. Its a size 20 frame.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, unfortunately I already ordered this one this morning after my initial response.

Hopefully it works O.K. I wish I had waited until tonight after everyone suggested fork mounts. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

JKnowledge

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS Silver with Leather
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I have a single sided fork on my Mountain bike, you have to remove the disc caliper and then use a big hex wrench to remove the front wheel. Not a pain otherwise 'cuz you can change the tire without removing the wheel!

There is no way this would work with any fork mount, I need a frame clamping or frame hanging type rack - any more info on the hitch type? Brand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you have the Cannondale Lefty fork? Cannondale makes an accessory called a Fork-Up to attach on the spindle once you take the wheel off. It has a regular fork type attachment that you can use on a roof rack. I never leave home without mine, just in case a roof rack becomes the only option. I like the hitch mount racks, cause they put the bikes behind the car and out of the windstream. Plus, you can get 4 bikes on em and still pack the car full of other gear.