What are your opinions on slotted rotors?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I am getting ready to replace front and rear pads and rotors on my 2015 Passat TDI due to some wicked vibrations under braking.

I have been looking at the EBC "Ultra Quiet Sport" slotted rotors and Akebono ceramic pads from FCPEuro. They are kinda pricey, but I figure since FCPEuro offers a lifetime warranty on everything they sell that I would get some good quality parts that way, incase money is tight the next time I need brakes, I dont have to downgrade.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drilled rotors look nice to some people, but they're decorative, not functional. They are more fragile than solid rotors. Most track day clubs prohibit them. I'd go with solid rotors.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I've seen too many drilled rotors crack at the drilled holes.

That's why I was asking about slotted rotors, not drilled. LOL

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Slotted are better. Just make sure you get pads that aren't too soft, or they'll use them up quickly.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Myths, most of them
Drilled or slotted all do the same thing lighten the mass and removes heat faster and evacuates gasses that build between the pad and rotor.
If they are cracking and it's not a sports car, then it's cheap crap you got what you paid for.
Drill is no more a weak spot than a slot. When you find one that cracked it's because it was going to warp because of excess limits of the cheap part ability to keep cool. If 5he same disk made of the same cheap steel was inplace it would warp and be useless. The point that slotted are bad because they break is bs. I've ran dozens of cheap slotted and drilled at full send for laps on end. I'll even post a picture of them this weekend if you want. They are fine.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I have drilled/slotted rotors on my golf with akebono ceramic pads. No heat cracks,

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I am getting ready to replace front and rear pads and rotors on my 2015 Passat TDI due to some wicked vibrations under braking.
Make sure you measure your rotor runout when changing them. Clean the mating surfaces really well and aim for near zero runout to help keep that vibration from coming back.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Akebono pads are good. Good is they are resistant to heat and don't fade, they last well, and they make very little dust. They may make a little noise when cold at low speeds, but they won't do that often and it's not objectionable.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
They also give a nice feel, not grabby at all and very progressive, and long lasting.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Not sure drilled or slotted rotors are needed for street use. I've had good luck with Zimmerman, ATE and EBC rotors through the years. Good luck, John

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Well, I went ahead and bought the EBC slotted rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. I've always felt the stock Passat brakes were less than stellar and didn't inspire a whole lot of confidence, so I figured I would step up a little bit.

So I bought the pads and rotors from FCPEuro. The rotors showed up today (They were drop shipped from across town) and I expect to see the rest of my order (pads and Pentosin Super Dot 4 brake fluid) next wednesday.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I think you'll be pleased with the upgrade, don't forget to follow the break-in procedures. Good luck, John

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Yery happy with jane plane Zimmerman, can't beat the price and as a daily driver they have held up for about 45K on the front and 35K on the rear with stock OEM pads.

As a NOS held back, i think the dealer prep in 2017 had them "clean the rust off" the rotors by just getting them scorching hot then parked it, causing the pad martial build up when be bought the thing.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So I'm VERY happy with the new brakes after just one day.

I am a little disappointed that my brakes werent even worn half way so I feel like I was throwing money away. My rear brakes were chattering so much that it sounded A LOT like grinding. But at the same time I was getting a wicked vibration under braking and even sometimes when my foot was off the brakes I was getting a slight vibration. I was thinking it was my tires but it didnt make complete sense. So I was getting chattering in back and vibration in front.

So I put the new brakes on yesterday and on the first few stops it made a whirring noise and I was concerned that they were going to be loud every time I hit the brakes. The good news is that once the edge got knocked off the grooves, they are now nice and quiet.

The brakes are quite impressive. For the pads, I got the Akebono ceramics. And it almost seems like the stopping power increases as they heat up. If I am at freeway speeds, take an offramp, and apply steady brake pressure, I would swear the braking force increases the more I slow down (which puts more heat into the pads). It's not the engine braking effect that you get with TDI's. This is much more pronounced.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I got drilled and slotted rotors and carbon ceramic pads for my wagen. 20k miles on them and I love em. Properly broken in, took awhile for them to stop being so dusty. But breaking greatly improved.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The akebonos take a while to break in completely, they will get better and better.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
My e-brake sucks to the point that I bought new cables, still pending to install.

Now, this thread got me thinking if it's not the cables (or adjustment), but the rear brakes that suck in general? Indeed braking is not really great in this Passat.

I bought new e-brake cables because it was a similar symptom than with my '04, where the e-brake would not hold the car on a good incline, and you could move the car with the e-brake on and light throttle. Are you guys happy with your hand brake?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
My e-brake sucks to the point that I bought new cables, still pending to install.

Now, this thread got me thinking if it's not the cables (or adjustment), but the rear brakes that suck in general? Indeed braking is not really great in this Passat.

I bought new e-brake cables because it was a similar symptom than with my '04, where the e-brake would not hold the car on a good incline, and you could move the car with the e-brake on and light throttle. Are you guys happy with your hand brake?
Well, I think you’ll be pleased with my response.... for reference, I’ve got factory 18” wheels, so the tires are 235mm wide, not the 215mm on the 17” wheels.

So when I set my parking brake, I pull it up to about a 45* angle which is about 4-5 clicks. Not RIPPING on the parking brake, but enough that the car won’t roll.

At normal engagement, when I let off the foot brake in drive, the parking brake will still hold but if I apply throttle, the wheels will roll.

If I pull harder it will go up to about a 60* angle after about 8-9 clicks. At this level of engagement, it will keep the back tires locked. It will actually drag the back tires. At first, the ECU will cut the throttle because I am heavy on the go pedal but it sees the tires aren’t moving. So the throttle cuts out, but if you let off and get back on it, it will maintain throttle and it will actually start to drag the tires.

So to answer your last question, “are you guys happy with your parking brake?”

YEA, I absolutely am, NOW.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
@Fixmy59bug , dude you are amazing!

Thanks so much for such a detailed response. I believe I should then change my cables, and if no improvement, then it must be my rotors/pads.

There is no way my hand brake can hold my car like that, if I pull all the way, still my car can move.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Glad I could help. But before you go changing your cables, How many clicks do you get on normal engagement of the parking brake? And when you engage it, do you really give it a tug or just enough to get it to hold the car?

garreth5

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
Akebono pads are good. Good is they are resistant to heat and don't fade, they last well, and they make very little dust. They may make a little noise when cold at low speeds, but they won't do that often and it's not objectionable.
I'm very happy with my Akebono ceramic pads. Good bite and less dust.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In the mk7, the handbrake is self adjusting, pull it on tight3-4 clicks and you're done. Probably same on passat

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat is no mk7, I have both and the handbrake in my wife's GSW is great. This Passat lived most of its life in upstate NY, so there is some rust spots already, I will get to the cables at some point and report back

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't say the Passat doesn't self adjust the handbrake, my mk4 also self adjust it. That's why you have to compress and screw the caliper back in when replacing pads.

What I say is that the handbrake system of the mk7 feels much improved compared to Passat NMS or mk4. Although, my mk4 wagon improved leaps and bounds once I changed the cables for the revised version. I did that job once and the handbrake has been perfect ever since.

Last edited:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
A simple test of parking brake effectiveness is to stop the car from 20mph exclusively with the parking brake. Just hold the button and pull up gently until you stop. You'll know if they work and how well. Good luck, John

GregSimon

TDI
2.0 105 kW DSG DQ250
Have anybody tested another brake pads than Akebono?

Something like Brembo semi-metallic, or the TRW ceramics?