What are my options - broken flex pipe/exhaust pipe

GregK

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, wagon, white
96 B4V: What are my options - broken flex pipe/exhaust pipe

Greetings all!

Here's the situation: I knew that my exhaust was starting to rust through downstream of the cat and upstream of the clamp so I got my e-Check done early. Today the pipe broke through and the cat started dragging on the road, indicating that the flex joint is damaged/broken. I was able to get the cat and pipe realigned and clamped together as a temporary fix but I was wondering what my options are for replacing the cat/flex pipe assembly/exhaust? I think we are getting some exhaust smell in the cabin (presumably from the flex joint). The check engine light is also now lit.

We were actually considering parting w/ "the beast" in the not to distant future before this, so we ideally don't want to sink a boatload of $$$ into this...so...suggestions, options?

Greg

GregK

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks 98...do you happen to know the diameter of the pipe at the location where the flex/bellows pipe goes? Did you have to replace the cat also (as I mentioned, my pipe broke through between the cat outlet and the clamp)?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Personally? Put a new flex in the downpipe, and do a CATectomy.

Any good independent exhaust shop should be able to fabricate a repair piece for the post CAT rusted area, if the flange coming out of the car is good.

Last edited:

GregK

Veteran Member
TDI
PM,

Do you know the diameter of flex pipe I need to get?

Regarding the CATectomy; unfortunately I live in one of Ohio's e-Check counties. For 96 diesels they do a tailpipe test for opacity only (I believe) but they also do a cursory look under the car (presumably to check for the presence of a cat)...

Greg

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
2" at the flex coupling and aft end of cat. 2 1/4" at front end of cat.

98JettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
I'm in an E-check county too. I did replace the cat with exactly what I sent you. Passes E-check.

Can't remember the diameter. Best thing is to jack it up and measure.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
I had my head pipe rust & split just behind the cat. The muffler shop was able to weld it back on to the cat flange.

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
I have a break immediatly after my cat. So, the pipe is larger pre cat? I thought it was all 50 mm.

Jason

bigtom111

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 97 Passat, 03 Jetta
Wonder of wonders. The exact same thing happened to my 98 Jetta this weekend. The previous owner had replaced the exhaust from the cat back with stainless but there was a short piece of the original tail pipe coming out of the cat. This broke in half right were it came out of the cat. I sovled the problem by sawing the cat off behind the flex pipe and filled the gap with another piece of flex tube and a couple of muffler clamps. Runs better now also:D

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hmmmm-must be a rash of this breaking this week-mine also broke right at outlet of cat to the straight pipe that was welded on a while back.I bought a universal hanger to help support the straight pipe-used some quick steel and a small exhaust band clamp-ok for now.I think next step is to hack off the converter-take it to junkyard(I saw prices posted at one-$40 for small foreign/up to $80 for a large foreign converter).I don't need inspection for emission in this part of NYS.

romcathds

TDI
96 Passat
96 passat b4 flex break

I got the flex coupler (2" x 4" long) from ECS tuning with the extra pipe already welded on. However, none of my local mechanics want to deal with the frame being right below the old flex coupler or removing the front pipe from the engine down to the flex coupler. I haven't looked closely at the frame part right below the flex. Is it a big deal to get clear access to the flex coupler? How does one get the front pipe off? Thanks for any help that can be provided.

darkmanCANADA

TDI
2001 ALH
Bought a 2.5" catless downpipe from Street Toys. Nick is awesome there. Gave me 10% off my order and 50% of shipping to Canada. Also bought his intake pipe and race pipe. BTW he has all the same stuff as Kerma but WAY CHEAPER AND BETTER SERVICE!