What app for tracking fuel mileage and maintenance items?

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I have been using Fuelio for probably 8-9 years, but I've found recently that it is not notifying me of my service items. Party due to an update that changed the way these reminders are handled, but I also think it's not setup well. Any reminder that is mileage related should be notifying me 1000 miles prior (30 days if it's a date) so I can obtain the materials needed. It's not doing that. It's also free, but I really hate dumping it after all these years and losing those records for multiple cars. But if it can't perform what should be simple tasks, then it's time to move on.

What are you using? Any associated costs??

Thanks!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
So I've tried nearly every single app for milage and maintenance / depreciation as well as budgeting for household / CC debt/ Investments and buisness too.
Nothing out there ever came close to doing what I needed. The only 2 that actually do the job are quick books and excell.
You can set quickbooks to email and sync with google calendar.

Past this I regret spending $ on YNAB and some other crappy apps.
Sorry this might not help but I've always just written the milage on the window up at the top like 245.5k Oc Af. Oil change air filter etc.....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
a little thing called notes on my iphone works for my needs.

I've stopped calculating and jotting down MPG, i'll check on the Passat every now and then but nothing religiously.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've been using Fuelly for years, have over 200K miles tracked for my Wagon. But I only really use it for tracking FE. I don't really need maintenance reminders, service every 10K miles is pretty easy to track. I still use the free version, despite them constantly pushing me to move to the paid version. When the force me to pay may be when I stop using it.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I've been using Fuelly for years, have over 200K miles tracked for my Wagon. But I only really use it for tracking FE. I don't really need maintenance reminders, service every 10K miles is pretty easy to track. I still use the free version, despite them constantly pushing me to move to the paid version. When the force me to pay may be when I stop using it.
Ditto. I do log oil changes, DEF and anything i do the car for service so I have a place to go back to look at. I don't use the reminder though.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Does the free version of Fuelly offer reminders?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I just saw a new iOS app - Motorist - that actually looks pretty good, but then again, they all typically do out of the box.

I get that developers want to get some return on their investment, and it's really not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of car ownership, but at $25/yr (CAD)....that's just more than I want to spend for something that I"m quite confident will (as @Mongler98 pointed out) will frustrate me and fall short of my expectations, just like every other one I've tried.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I have been using Fuelio for probably 8-9 years, but I've found recently that it is not notifying me of my service items. Party due to an update that changed the way these reminders are handled, but I also think it's not setup well. Any reminder that is mileage related should be notifying me 1000 miles prior (30 days if it's a date) so I can obtain the materials needed. It's not doing that. It's also free, but I really hate dumping it after all these years and losing those records for multiple cars. But if it can't perform what should be simple tasks, then it's time to move on.

What are you using? Any associated costs??

Thanks!
I use car fox car care app for maint items. It works well.

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
I also use fuelly. I track my mileage, services, and upgrades on it.

I did just find out the other day that I have been using the web app, rather than the mobile app though. I guess maybe the mobile was still in development when I first got it.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I've been using the Fuelly app for years. The yearly fee is cheap enough, and I'm so used to it I'll keep using it...

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I really like mycarfax.com for tracking maintenance.

It synchronizes with your Carfax report and allows you to upload receipts.