What am I missing Remote Start

myTDIPassat

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Prem
No-I'm not going to ask why the car turns off when I unlock it.

Instead, I am kind of puzzled. I dont really need remote start, but figured if it is on this car I will try it.

I purchased a 2013 VW Passat SEL Premium. Does this car have remote start? I thought it did, but when i refer back to the VW website, it doesnt appear to list it.

If the car does have it, am i correct to say I simply press the x2 button twice on the key fob?

Thanks Everyone.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
...and you do have it if your car is a DSG

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
From myturbodiesel:

Why isn't the engine remote start working on my VW Passat?

The owner's manual doesn't differentiate between a locked or unlocked car. Its procedure will only work on a locked car. Therefore, if the car is locked, press lock once and engine start twice. If the car is unlocked, press lock twice and engine start twice. If the car is in your driveway or at the dealership, it'll probably be unlocked which will cause the procedure describe in the manual to not work. (Thanks for the tip ironpen and darrelld!)

Last edited:

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Buy an SE w/ 6 spd. manual and don't worry about this crap... !

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Now that is helpful! Some of us have chosen a model other than the manual transmission. The OP didn't ask, What model can I buy that doesen't have remote start. Why not give it a rest until someone asks the question. It is inappropriate to just throw that out there when it has nothing to do with the thread. Everyone is already aware that the manual is the preferred option for some. Your posting like this only serves to drive others away.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Yes, I am Mr. Sensitivity... here's another thought: read the manual. Better yet, go ask the dealer this questions of minutia. Yes, I am helpful. Common Sense is NOT a superpower... By the way, who made you moderator?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yes, I am Mr. Sensitivity... here's another thought: read the manual. Better yet, go ask the dealer this questions of minutia. Yes, I am helpful. Common Sense is NOT a superpower... By the way, who made you moderator?
As stated in a previous post the manual does not address this. You could be nicer. The dealer probably doesn't have it either. The whole purpose of the forum is to increase everyone's knowledge, not brow beat everybody.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
As stated in a previous post the manual does not address this. You could be nicer. The dealer probably doesn't have it either. The whole purpose of the forum is to increase everyone's knowledge, not brow beat everybody.
Right on.

20ae3600

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I have found more than few items that neither the manual or dealership can properly explain on my '12 SEL Premium. eg. Understanding how to get the different keys synched with the power seat presets was quite the challenge.

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
Why click into threads if you have no intention of helping? Or are you the designated forum a$$hole?

silver18

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Replacement fob would not start

Got this 2012 Passat form friend of mine, he said the fob is not original, but came from VW dealer. Remote start never worked. Its TDI SEL. Any thoughts?
I do have VCDS.
Another question is what is the difference between SEL and SEL Premium? Maybe that's why its doenst work?

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
VW only offers the SEL Premium with the TDI engine. So if you have SEL, it is the SEL Premium. For the 2.5L (I'm not sure about current 1.8T), there was an SEL and SEL Premium separately.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Got this 2012 Passat form friend of mine, he said the fob is not original, but came from VW dealer. Remote start never worked. Its TDI SEL. Any thoughts?
I do have VCDS.
Another question is what is the difference between SEL and SEL Premium? Maybe that's why its doenst work?

If your fob looks like this:

Then the fob has the remote start function. If you have an SEL TDI, then you should be able to remote start your car.

Here's the conditions for it to work:

• Car has to be off and locked.
  • All doors, trunk, and hood must be closed.
  • The low fuel light cannot be on
  • The "Check Engine" light cannot be on
  • You have to be within the operational range of the remote to the car.
  • The remote start will only start the car for ten minutes, and then it shuts off. At which point you can restart it remotely one more time. After that, the remote start will not work until the car is started from the inside, at which point the 2x10 minute cycle resets.

Push lock - you should hear the horn honk to confirm if you have the ATA confirmation enabled. Then press the "x2" button twice. The car will start.

If the outside temp is below some number, I think it's 32F, the rear defroster will come on. If the outside temp is above a certain number, I think it's 80F it will turn on the AC to cool the cabin.

I also used VCDS to program my seat heater to come on automatically if it was on before I shut the car off previously, so I get into a nice warm seat as well with the remote start.

I find that even on the coldest mornings (below 0F) the temp needle will start to move into positive territory with two cycles and start pumping out the heat. The big downside is it really digs into your average MPG calculations, especially for the per-trip calculations. By the time I get to work I'm still reporting mileage in the high 20's or low 30's, even though I know the thing runs on a thimble full of diesel.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Well.......guess I'll have to just try, try again. This will be the third thread that's encouraged me to try to get the thing to remote start, without success (even though I don't have much motivation to use it regularly, since our car is garaged). So, I'll try: lock, lock, then the X2 button twice. And I may not be standing close enough to the car.....this is like a magical incantation.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
So, I'll try: lock, lock, then the X2 button twice. And I may not be standing close enough to the car.....this is like a magical incantation.
Venus, Mars, and Earth also have to be aligned so that they each block out the other planet's view of the sun.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Rico567: Ours is troublesome, too. It requires exactly the right timing pressing the X2 button. I now can get it to work almost 100% of the time, but my wife STILL can't get it to work.
Go figure.

Zoso

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
  • Car has to be off and locked.
  • All doors, trunk, and hood must be closed.
  • The low fuel light cannot be on
  • The "Check Engine" light cannot be on
  • You have to be within the operational range of the remote to the car.
  • The remote start will only start the car for ten minutes, and then it shuts off. At which point you can restart it remotely one more time. After that, the remote start will not work until the car is started from the inside, at which point the 2x10 minute cycle resets.

Push lock - you should hear the horn honk to confirm if you have the ATA confirmation enabled. Then press the "x2" button twice. The car will start.

If the outside temp is below some number, I think it's 32F, the rear defroster will come on. If the outside temp is above a certain number, I think it's 80F it will turn on the AC to cool the cabin.

I also used VCDS to program my seat heater to come on automatically if it was on before I shut the car off previously, so I get into a nice warm seat as well with the remote start.

I find that even on the coldest mornings (below 0F) the temp needle will start to move into positive territory with two cycles and start pumping out the heat. The big downside is it really digs into your average MPG calculations, especially for the per-trip calculations. By the time I get to work I'm still reporting mileage in the high 20's or low 30's, even though I know the thing runs on a thimble full of diesel.
While not specifically said in that list, remote start will also disable if the coolant level is low. Perhaps that condition falls under check engine however!

Agreed that the effectiveness of remote start is somewhat negated by how slowly the car warms up. Cabin air starts to get warm even though the needle hasn't really budged. I like the VCDS mod that tells the heated seats to come back on. I need to buy that. It would also be nice if the front defroster came on under 32F.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Rico567: Ours is troublesome, too. It requires exactly the right timing pressing the X2 button. I now can get it to work almost 100% of the time, but my wife STILL can't get it to work.
Go figure.
Tried again today. Several times. I've got something in common with your wife....

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
Mine worked when I first got the car back in June. Now it doesn't. The only difference i can think of is that I accidentally ran the battery dry and had to recharge it, and therefore I think it's a safe bet that there are error codes in the ECU. I read somewhere that stored codes (or at least certain ones) prevent the remote start from working.

-Mickey

p.s. Well I'll be horn-swoggled. It worked just now. Go figure. I guess it cured itself. It required a very rapid transition from the lock button to the double-tap, though. Don't hesitate.

p.p.s. The ten minutes expired and the engine shut off, after which I couldn't get it to remote-start again. So I'm at a loss. Oh, well.

Last edited:

dbs600

TDI
2017 VW Passat 1.8T SEL Premium
Argh; so sorry to bother about this again, but super cold out and 10 minutes isn’t cutting it. :|

I know I can remote start two times consecutively, 10 minutes each time, but is there any way to increase this duration?

2017 Passat SEL with factory remote start. Unfortunately, not looking to install aftermarket.

Did I say it was cold out?

Thank you very much and Happy New Year.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Nope.

But even more than that, you know if it’s that cold out it will never warm up enough by idling, right? It doesn’t matter if you let it idle for an hour, you are literally just wasting fuel.

You should get a coolant heater or just use the seat heater and cabin heater, and just drive.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Nope.

But even more than that, you know if it’s that cold out it will never warm up enough by idling, right? It doesn’t matter if you let it idle for an hour, you are literally just wasting fuel.

You should get a coolant heater or just use the seat heater and cabin heater, and just drive.

dbs600 has '17 Passat. Gen 3 TSI will def warm up at idle, even if temps are sub zero. It'll take a while for oil to warm up but the coolant loop that dumps to the heater core warms up to 160F in the same time it takes me to wheel the garbage cans down to the road on garbage day.