What a sad night

foxstoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS, 5 speed , Red
Last night while driving on the interstate the car in front of me shot out a truck tire re-tread
Took out my belly pan and destroyed my front bumper
. What a sad day!!!!

dropFROG

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf 2001
Atleast you are okay man!.. and only plastic parts got busted up. Did you atleast catch a plate so the owner/operator/asshat can cover the damages?

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
Thats sucks. I would highly suggest a metal skid plate.

Did you atleast catch a plate so the owner/operator/asshat can cover the damages?
I don't think the driver is liable. It didn't come off their car, and even if it did, I still don't think they would be liable. Who is to say that the driver had sufficient room to avoid hitting the debris on the interstate? More than likely, you would here the officer say "you shouldn't have been following so closely..."

DaveGaunt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Blue
Can't say in the USA, but up here, that kind of damage would be covered under the Comprehensive section of the policy, with no fault and no increase in rates.

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
I don't know if this would be the same as an animal/vehicle accident, but my insurance rates are not affected by such accidents that cause less than $1000 in damage. Dave has a point, it may be worth looking at your insurance policy.

snoopy

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, Cyber green
Well, the same thing happened to me last year when I lived in Michigan. The car in front of me kicked up a retreaded tire and it took out the front bumper, fog lights and dented my oil pan. Caused $1,500 worth of damage. Called State Farm right after it happened and they paid for everything minus the $250 deductible.

foxstoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS, 5 speed , Red
Yep that is what I hope for. Its a good thing it hit me flying , or it would be a colision part of the insurance, or so I am told. Now just waithing for adjuster to call. It had nothing to do with the driver in front of me anyway. It had more to do with the truck that lost its tire.